Entering wrapping text

I have two issues when entering text in an Excel cell.
I format the text to wrap, and the row height increases
to accept additional text as I type. Sometimes this stops
happening, and I have to resize the row manually.
How do I control this? Also, although the row size
increases as I add text, it doesn't seem to decrease if
I delete text. Is there any way to make this happen?

When I format the text as "general" it displays correctly
in the cell (although in the sample pane it displays as
##################). When I format the text as
text it displays as ################### in both the
call and the sample pane.

Thanks for any advice.

Pete

0
pfraser (4)

Parse only text from column?
How do I extract just the text from a column? For example, if one of my columns = "1234 abracadabra" and I want just the "abracadabra"? ironryan77 You already posted this question about 3+ hours ago and that message has 4 answers posted to it. -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Ryan D" <RyanD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB85FF3E-1428-4703-B8D5-A0E330DF6E74@microsoft.com... > How do I extract just the text from a column? For example, if one of my > columns = "1234 abracadabra" and I want just the "abracad...

How to define a style to include built-in text?
I need a style that has its own text. For example, Caution_Head would say "Caution" without my having to type it. I don't see where this is entered in the style dialog. Thanks for any tips. -- Christopher Brewster Lockheed Martin, Eagan MN Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-word-general/200911/1 The only way to do this is as a "bullet." See http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA.htm (Word 2003 and earlier) or http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA2007.htm, as appropriate. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Micros...

Why is Actual Work updated when entering time into Work Field?
We're using MS Project 2007 and seeing that sometimes when time is entered into the Work field for a task, that task's Actual Work is updated to the same value entered in the Work field. This happens to multiple resources, but only on some of their tasks and not on others. For example, for the weeks of 1/24 and 1/31, whatever hours I schedule (enter in the "work" cell in the Resource Usage View) for a given task also appears in the "actual" cell. The tasks are setup up differently. Some are Fixed Work, some are Fixed Duration. I believe all have the e...

Row Height Adds Blank Space at End of Text
Hi, We have a spreadsheet where the row height is automatically expanded to add extra, blank space at the end of the cells. We manually adjust the row height, save, close, and when we re-open, the space is back. There are no extraneous returns in the cells. Anyone know how to fix this? Auto Fit does not work. Thanks ...

Excel 2003 spreadsheet. I enter the any number and it is entered.
If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 Thank you Mary Mary, Goto Tools>Options and on the Edit tab you should see The Fixed Decimal Places box checked. Uncheck it. -- HTH RP "maryu" <maryu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:65C0E0FB-43F3-4F34-8A86-FBA3F02EC9B1@microsoft.com... > If I enter a number into a cell it is put in like a decimal. For example, if > I enter 10 it is put in as .1 500 is entered as a 5 > Thank you > Mary ...

Filter records by date in subform by date entered in mainform.
Hello, I've spent 3 days trying to understand what I'm doing wrong.....Here is the summary of my problem. I have a form named 'frm_EfficiencyStats' and a subform within the form named 'qry_Total hours subform' (the subform is based on a query). The form contains a text box (for date) which is bound to a table 'tbl_EfficiencyStats'. I would like to be able to enter a date in the text box on my form, and display the records in the subform based on the date I entered in the text box. The subform will only pull records from my table based on the date. Here are th...

Copy only part of text string
Hi, Wonder if someone maybe able to help me please. I have a database at work that contains details of test files. One of the fields for each test shows that actual error that caused the file to fail. The problem is, is that there is an awful lot of text from this field that I don't need to extract. The text I need to extract starts with the word Error and then the rest of the text that comes after it in the text string. The word Error can appear anywhere within the text string, but having worked through all of the failures I beleive that 'Error' can be used as the guide to star...

Signature and text format query
I have created a signature which inserts automatically when I click New, Reply or Forward in Outlook. But when right clicking a file and selecting Send To, Mail Recipient it opens a new untitled message in Plain Text with a signature/footnote ("The message is ready to be sent...). How can I have that message open up in HTML format instead? Also, how can I set it up so that my own signature that I have created automatically appears when the untitled message opens up (instead of having to insert it manually afterwards)? The same question applies when I have an open file (eg: ...

Shortcut for wrap text or vertical center in cell
Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text? how about centering data vertically in a cell? Have you considered assigning a short macro to the KB combination of i.e. <Ctrl>+<Shift>+W? Dennis "webbuzzard" wrote: > Is there a keyboard shortcut for wrap text? how about centering data > vertically in a cell? Buzz, Looking in Help for formatting shorcuts yielded nothing. You can roll your own, using the underlines. For wrap text, it's a bit long. Alt-o, e, a, Alt-w, Enter. For vertical centering, Alt-o, e, a, Alt-V, c, Enter. Or you could record a ma...

how to enter simple list and sum
using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative numbers and then create a cell with the sum of these values? if the list would look like this 0.58 -1.22 1.79 -0.56 -0.92 the output would look something like 0.58 0.58 -1.22 -0.64 1.79 1.15 -0.56 0.59 -0.92 -0.33 John In B1 enter =A1 In B2 enter =B1+A2 Copy down to B5 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 16 May 2007 06:34:13 +0300, "John" <johnj@multipl.es> wrote: >using excel 2002 with an xp sp2 system >how would I enter a simple list of positive and negative...

Resource Units for Tasks entered in PWA differs than tasks entered in Project 2007
Hello, I have an ePM user asking why if he enters a project task in PWA does it not check the resource max units allocation the same way as when he enters a task in Project Professional. For example: You have a project where resource A is 50% allocated. When you create a task in Project Professional for this resource, the resource allocation is set to 50%. Create a task under the same project in PWA, submit and approve the task. Open project professional and view the task information for the task entered in PWA, why is the resource allocation set to 100% instead of 50% set for th...

IF Function with Text values
Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I have two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need to pick the surname out of the user login and i can't get the IF true or false to pick out the surnames, any help very much appriciated. Hi use something like =VLOOKUP("user_id",A1:B100,2,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany .. wrote: > Hi, I can't seem to get the IF formula to work with my spreadsheet. I > have two colums one with user login the other with surname and i need > to pick the surname out of the u...

Resizing row height to dynamically fit height of text box
Is there a way to link the height of a text box to the height of a row so that as you type text into the text box and the text box's height increases, the row height will also increase? I know That by setting the "Move and size with cells" option you can make the TEXT BOX height increase as the ROW height increases, but I'm looking to do the opposite (i.e. make the ROW height increase as the TEXT BOX height increases). Not too complicate things too much, but I was also hoping to do this within a protected sheet. "Jon" wrote: > Is there a way to link the...

Wrap text and row autofit
Hello, If Wrap text is enabled for a cell, the row autofit function works properly. But if I merge 2 or more cells in a row, then autofit doesn't work. It sets itself to the height of 1 row even if the contents require more than 1 row's height. Pls help. Note: Excel 2003 version. thanks, GK GK Rows with Merged cells will not Autofit. Just one of many problems with merged cells. You need VBA code to do that. Here is code from Greg Wilson. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As ...

Enter formula by code.
Hi All can anyone help. I cant seem to get this to work. I keep getting run time error 1004 application or object defined error. Public Sub TLIdentify() finalrow = Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("B65536").End(xlUp).Row Worksheets("INV Bookings").Range("AV26:AV" & finalrow).FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(OR(RC[-38]>0,RC[-32]>0,RC[-26]>0,RC[-20]>0,RC[-14]>0,RC[-8]>0,RC[-2]>0),VLOOKUP(RC4,'Team Summary'!R4C3:R16C4,2,0),"")" End Sub -- Regards and Thanks for any assistance. Francis Brown...

Conditional Formatting Text!!
Hi I want to conditionally format some text in a spreadsheet using formula: I have column A1 with: 4a Be 3a To 4c To 4b Be 4c Be 5c Be 5c To 6a Be etc... What I want to do is for all cells which contain "5a Be" "5b Be" 5c Be" "4a Be" "4b be" and "4c Be" to be highlighted in Red - is there a formula to put all of them into one formula - If("5a Be" or "5b Be) etc.. Thanks Kiran "Kiran" <kiran.vithal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1143053337.964222.63000@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi > ...

how do I copy several lines of word text into one excel cell?
In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each line pastes into a different cell) You can either double click the cell or press F2 key to get into edit mode for the cell, then the text pasted would all go into the cell. -Simon "jhh" wrote: > In a word doc I need to copy several lines of text and paste them into one > excel cell. I can't seem to find any help telling me how to do this (each > line pastes into a different cell) thank you SO much Simon CC - ...

Entering a dollar amount w/out having to enter the decimal
What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I have to enter is the numbers? It's one of the options you can specify. In Excel 2007, it's: Excel Options...>Advanced>Automatically insert a decimal point Regards, Fred "Julieanne" <Julieanne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AABE398-3B77-4ACD-8938-05ED7F5CC58E@microsoft.com... > What is the formula to have Excel automatically enter the decimal so all I > have to enter is the numbers? ...

Word Wrapping Text
Applied word wrap to data within cell; word wrap only applied to portion of data within cell. When viewing in print preview only a portion of the text is displayed. Please help. Thank you in advance. You didn't whether it didn't fit the column or the row. Try re-formatting the cell - <Format><Row><Height><Autofit> Print preview doesn't always show everything. Regard this as a thumbnail view rather than an actual representation of the page to be printed. Regards. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions "Sonya" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.c...

How do I stop dates from being entered everytime I enter a number
Everytime I enter data in a box (ex: ages 5-9) I then press enter to go to the next cell and it automatically puts in may 9 . I have tried putting in general in formatting cells and it still does it. can someone help before I shoot this pc out the window? I am making a population pyramid with males and females and their ages. Thanks, Kicking and Screaming You can precede your entry with a single quote... '5-9 ....or format your cells as 'Text'. Hope this helps! In article <64AE5219-035D-46E3-9488-5D01F6B012FA@microsoft.com>, Kicking and Screaming <Kicking and...

Shared calendar does not show text in appointments
I've had a request for help because a user on our network, who has access permission to her bosses calendar, has a problem. When the PA sets new appointments she can see botht he new item and all the other appointments, whether she set them up or her boss did. However, when the Boss looks in the calender for herself, the ones set up by the PA show as blank spaces, but the subject line does not show the text. The PA knows how wto do this and IS using the subject line properly to detail what the appointment is for. Honestly, I'm baffled - I've never heard of this before. Any ideas ...

Formula showing in cell as text
This is a new one on me. After entering a formula, instead of seeing blank cell or the result of the formula in the cell, I'm seeing th text of the formula as I normally would see it displayed in the formul bar. I can't seem to get it to calculate or stop showing the formula a text in the cell. One additional odd thing, going to TOOLS>FORMULA AUDITING>EVALUAT FORMULA, everything looks normal, with two exceptions; one a statemen "The cell currently being evaluated contains a constant", is displaye in the dialog box and all but the CLOSE button are grayed out. What I ha...

Changing text on convert lead webpage dialog
In the Opportunity form, I have renamed the "Potential Customer" Attribute to "Reseller". But on the Convert Lead webpage dialog, under Opportunity - the lookup field still displays as "potential customer". Is there anyway of changing this text? Hello, I think this webpage dialog is not customizable using the standard tools. I remember having a customer wanting to add functionality to the convert lead webpage. If someone has an idea about this would be nice. Best regards, Merijn van Mourik "kwhite" wrote: > In the Opportunity form, I have ...

entering time #2
hello all.. wondering if there is any way to do this... I have a column formatted for time as in this format 12:00 when entering a time it is cumbersome to have to enter the hour, then a colon, then the minutes. Is it possilbe to simply enter a 4 digit number such as 1245 and have it show up as 12:45 ?? thanks so much... I've found this group to be irreplaceable... glen in orlando Enter your times without colons in column A and put this formula in column B =(A1-RIGHT(A1,2))/2400+RIGHT(A1,2)/(24*60) and format column B for "Time" in the form you want it. Tod "Glen i...

Entering data
Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be locked. In article <15a201c43e09$dbea4e10$3501280a@phx.gbl>, "Alicia Contreras" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Please help me enter data into cells that seem to be > locked. Hi Alicia, try: Tools > Protect > Unprotect Hope this helps! ...