Enforce format

How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
Thanks in advance.
Keith
0
Elfey1001 (1)

Data Validation; custom formula; If active cell is A1, use this:
=NOT(ISERROR(1*A1))

"Elfey1001" <Elfey1001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
> entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
> Thanks in advance.
> Keith

0
rumlas (268)
10/12/2009 8:28:34 PM
In EXCEL 2007:-

Data / Data Tools / Data Validation / Data Validation / Settings tab /
Allow: field - in here you can do what you want plus a variety of other
options.

Thanks!

"Elfey1001" wrote:

> How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number
> entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters.
> Thanks in advance.
> Keith
0
info9487 (39)

negative number format

Change date format to European format

Help with tracking user without enforcing security
I know that the best way to track who is in the db is to enforce security. However, I am in a situation where the client does not want the security to be enforced at least right now. since we will have to keep another file (.mdw) on the network. Is there a way to track few users (5 max) in access through code? I have a login form that has 2 text boxes, one for the user ID and the other for the password. I have a table called tblUserLog that every time a user logsin, a new record is created in that table keeping the login ID and date/time. The login form fires the code in the after updat...

Conditional formatting for rows?
I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be able to highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value, using conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is it possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the value of one cell? Thanks select the row and anchor the test cell in a formula such =$A1=20 -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:35685BA2-2FF5-4054-B9F0-21FBBC248A2C@mi...

Enforce No of Characters using Jscript
Hi I need a solution to what may seem like a simple bit of Jscript. We would like to enforce that our staff insert a minimum number of characters in a certain field. I assume my script would look like: if (crmForm.all.new_description.DataValue >50) alert ('Please insert a sufficient description') The alert works well. I just need to know how to enforce the minimum number of 50 characters for the field. Guess there is a bit of Jscript for (Characters) that I am missing. Please assist Many Thanks Mark Use .length attribute to get the length of the text: if (crmForm.all.new_...

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting

Negative number formatting

Enforce format

Format Smartlist field

Conditional Formating Help

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Enforce Passwor Policy
Bonjour! I'm wondering when we create a user in GP, the 2 settings (Enforce Passowrd Policies, Enforce Password expires) that are in the Advanced Option, are related to Active Directory Group policy? Because in SQL we can't modify those settings. It is for our auditors to explain. Regards, Joel :) Hi Joe Yes, the configuration of the these two settings comes from the Goup policy domain setting. So if you your windows password expires every 90 days, your SQL acount password will as well. Just remember the two accounts are not tied to each other in anyway, so your w...

Mail Format #3
I have been able to send rich text emails via outlook for some months. In the last few days any rich text email is either returned or delivered minus the attachment. Can anyone help me with this? Hamish Outlook's Rich Text format is proprietary and most other e-mail programs can't handle it. To avoid problems, use Plain Text (almost guaranteed to work for all e-mail users) or HTML format when sending to non-Outlook users. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message ...

Enforce leave a copy in server
As I know, use "Outlook POP3->Leave a copy on the server" , can save all emails on the server. But I Dont want to ask our users one by one to do such setting, I just want to do it in the Exchange Server (2003). Is it possible? Thanks It's not a server-side setting, rather a client option. The only way you could potentially manage this is if your users are all part of a domain and if the Office Admin template add-in for Group Policies allowed you to manage this. There are no settings on the POP3 virtual server that force it to tell the clients to leave a copy on the s...

Can I protect cell numbering format ($) but allow editing?
Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but the $ cannot be changed? Hi no, not possible AFAIK with Excel's protection function. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Deb22" <Deb22@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DC64EFAD-1D28-44C6-A54F-DA96E286CD4C@microsoft.com... > Can I protect a cell's numbering format so that the cell can be edited but > the $ cannot be changed? Thank you for your answer. I spent two years in Aschaffenbury, Germany with the U.S. Army in the early 70's. I loved Ge...

typing in a new cell and carrying the formatting of the previous c
how can i get the formatting done automatically in line with formatting of the same row evertime i type in a new cell in that row? for example, i have data in spread across A1:E1, and there is a special formatting for this set of data, when i type into F1 i want the same formatting to carry forward. what i am looking for is not a "paste formating" or "Format Painter" option. You could use Conditional Formatting on the whole row, with a condition (for active cell A1) of =NOT(ISBLANK(A1)) -- David Biddulph "fadwa" <fadwa@discussions.microsoft.com...

convert a Publisher file to a Corel Draw format
I want to know if it's possible to convert a .pub file format to a Corel Draw .cdr format. Dorin, No. Mike Dorin wrote: > I want to know if it's possible to convert a .pub file > format to a Corel Draw .cdr format. I have both these products, the new version of Corel is Office friendly, you can do the copy/paste and then save it as a .cdr file. There is no way you will retain formatting, but the images remain vectors if they were vectors in the first place. If you copy/paste text, the text will default to what ever is default in Corel. You can paste the text as an im...

Format text in Excel 2003?
Is it possible to change the formatting of text in Excel? I have a database list that I downloaded from the city tax records and all of the names and addresses are in all caps. I'd like to change everything to Title Case. I copy and pasted the info into Word and formatted it there, but when I tried to paste it back into Excel, the old formatting showed back up. Is there a way for me change the formatting in Excel? TIA, Kristie I just did an experiment: In two cells in Excel 2003 I entered MAIN STREET and GRAND AVENUE. I copied these to Word and use Format | Change Case -> T...

Copying Multiple Conditional Formats from One Workbook to another
Hi, I'm hoping there's an easier way to do this rather than manually retype 3 conditional formats per column x multiple columns :- Workbook A is identical to Workbook B in terms of column headings etc. Workbook B has no conditional formating, and needs to have the exactly the same conditional format by formaula as workbook A. Whats the quick way ? -- Rich http://www.richdavies.com/tomtom.htm http://www.richdavies.com/fantasy-football.htm Have you tried using the Format Painter icon? Pete On Nov 10, 1:01=A0pm, "richdaviesdot...@googlemail.com" <richdaviesdot...@go...

tab formatting on ruler
When creating a document and I set my margins and tab the stylus (or whatever that pointer thing is called) lines up perfectly with the marks on the ruler. After saving document and then I go back to edit the document, when I try to move the stylus, it does not line up with the mark. It is either a little before the number of a little after. If I hold down the Alt key and move the stylus it moves in small increments and I can line it up. Any idea why this does this and how I can fix it. It is very time consuming to have to do this. Thank.s If you are trying to use t...

convert .123 format to Excel?
Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to Excel? I'm working with Excel XP. Thanks Hi Doug- Open the file in Excel the same as any Excel file, although you may need to change the file type (bottom list in the Open File dialog box). If you don't know the specific Lotus version, just choose "All Files". Once you open the file in Excel go to File>Save As and open the bottom list for Save As Type. Pick the format you want. Hope this helps|:>) "Doug Rainville" wrote: > Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to E...