Empty Excel file is too large

I have deleted all sheets, and contents from my excel
file, but it's still 2Meg in size. When I zip it, it's
only 90K Bytes. (A blank excel file is usually 90K Bytes)
Why is my empty file so large?
It was originally 5 Meg, and I deleted all sheets,
formulas, and VB codes. Right now there is nothing (except
one empty sheet), but the size is still 2M.
Please respond.
0
iahmed1 (1)

Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as
part of the file size.
So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first
unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the
goto box, then Ax:a65536, and delete the rows, where x is
the first row after all your work ends. This normally
reduces the file size significantly.

Hope that helps.

0
anonymous (74721)
1/20/2004 3:55:59 PM
Did you accidentally save it as a Picture file?  If not
why don't you just hit "print preiview" and see what it
looks like.  Chances are there is an image or something in
it.  Maybe you selected a huge print area on accident.
Check the header and the footer through the print preview
as well.

good luck

0
anonymous (74721)
1/20/2004 5:40:55 PM
Hmmm,  you are trying to email a workbook that has no
macros,  and has the one requisite sheet, and that sheet is empty.
At this point, I expect there is nothing left that you want to email.

After deleting rows and column,  you probably will also
have to save the file.   The check of what you have for a
last cell is   Ctrl+End

For  macros to make worksheets smaller  by either resetting the
last used cell, or by making a particular cell become the last cell see
   Reset All Lastcells in the Active Workbook (#resetall) ��
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#resetall

   Making the activecell the LastCell (#MakeLastCell)
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/lastcell.htm#makelastcell

For a macro to remove all modules (program code) from a workbook
  http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.htm
just be sure that is what you want.
--
HTH,

"Quark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:138f01c3df6d$e5722c00$a601280a@phx.gbl...
> Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as
> part of the file size.
> So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first
> unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the
> goto box, then Ax:a65536, and delete the rows, where x is
> the first row after all your work ends. This normally
> reduces the file size significantly.
>
> Hope that helps.

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Excel changes my formulas
Excel is changing my formulas every time I input a new value that is an input for the formula. I does not happen everywhere, but is fairly consistent where it happens. This is creating havoc in a monstrous edifice of numerical information. Let's say I have column A with an existing numerical value, then I have column B with a formula adding columns C and D (B=C+D). On columns C and D, I input numerical values. Then I have column E, adding columns A+B (E=A+B). In many places in my spreadsheet, the moment I put a number, any munber, in column C or column D, column E becomes A+B+C...

Empty the Inbox
Is there a better way to empty all messages in the Inbox than holding down the Cntrl key? Just used the laptop after several months, and it downloaded all the old emails on the server. Using Windows Outlook Express. -- kbob This is not the Outlook Express newsgroup, but anyway: If you want to delete all the Inbox messages, highlight one header viewing in the Preview Pane, and Ctrl + A will highlight them all. Delete all in one motion. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "k. bob" <kbob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

using hr block to file taxes
Hi The reason I bought MS Money was so I could file my taxes online via HR Block for free. When I use the link on the Money service center it takes me to an HR block page which says that filing is free. But when I log on to the HR block site using my existing id and password, and try to file - I am still asked for my credit card number and told that the charge is $35. Why is this happening and how do I fix it? Thanks Manish ...

word to excel #4
The problem with using excel is that most of the staff don�t have it an the one that do panic :confused: , they are not a very IT focused grou (understatement of the year) -- over_worked_Ro ----------------------------------------------------------------------- over_worked_Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1559 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27149 ...

EXCEL ADD-INS #2
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Currently I am using Office Home and Student 2008 for Mac, and I do not see any Escel add-in running. When I browse inside the add-ins menu I do not see any add-in available. What can I do? Where can I get the Add.Ins? Do I need the setup CD to install the Add-Ins? There are no VBA add-ins that work with Office 2008 because VBA support was not included in Office 2008, the first Intel version of the software. It has been announced that VBA support will return in the next version of Office for Mac. On 8/28/08 11:42 AM, in article 59b581...

Excel Error
I'm using Office XP with Windows 98SE. When I open Excel, I get an error message," C:\ProgramFiles Documents to Go\DVZXLAddin.xla could not be found." I know why this is happening: I moved the Documents to Go folder to my D drive, but Excel is on my C drive. What do I need to change to stop getting this message? Is there a problem with having the two in different partitions? Thank you. In Excel: Tools>Addins and click "Browse" Navigate to D:\Documents to Go\ Click on "DVZXLAddin.xla " Click "OK" Make sure the Addin is shown and is ticked the...

My pictures appear to be hidden on my Excel spreadsheet.
I created a spreadsheet with pictures in Excel 2003. My computer has been upgrade to Excel 2007. Now when I open my spreadsheet the pictures I had added do not appear. I know they are still there because they appear on Print Preview and the Picture Tools menu appears. They just seem to be invisible, which is hard because I can work with them. Try using the Find and Select button on the home tab of the ribbon. If you select Selection Pane (on the bottom of the menu) you can see all of the object and thier visibility status. If your pictures don't have the eyeball symb...

File Reservation in Excel 2008
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It used to be that when a document was opened by another user on the file server, you could open the document as read only. Excel now seems to think any of these files that are already opened are now corrupt. <br><br>In our network environment, users are on Intel Macs, running 10.5.8 and MS Office 12.2.3. Everyone has access to a file server running Mac OS Server 10.5.8 via AFP and the shared volumes are on an XSAN. <br><br>The issue is that when a user opens an &quot;.xlsx&quot; fil...

Simple Module for Excel 2007 in VBA
Hello I tried to calculate in excell somthing like this +-----+--------------------------------+ | A | B | +-----+--------------------------------+ | | =SUMIF(POWER(10,A1:A10),"<>") | +-----+--------------------------------+ | 5 | | +-----+--------------------------------+ | 10 | | +-----+--------------------------------+ | | | +-----+--------------------------------+ | 12 | | +-----+---------------------------...

Opening Excel Files
Hello, Months ago I had origionally changed this option, but for some reason it has defaulted back and I can't remember how I had changed it. How do I change excel, so that when I open up a excel file, it opens up another instance of excel on my task bar? Thank you, Jay Gustafson I figured out my answer. I was looking for something refering to instances. Until I realized it was infront of me the whole time. >-----Original Message----- >Hello, > >Months ago I had origionally changed this option, but for >some reason it has defaulted back and I can't remember ...

EXCEL FORUM
My last 2 posts wouldn't let me post a portion of a sheet with row an column titles. It would make asking the wuestion so much easier t show it? I've seen it done. Help please! Healingbea -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you can explain your problem in plain text, you'll get more reviewers. Many people won't open workbooks (too many threats of malicious code). And many people who use a newsreader and access the newsgroups directly (not via excelforum) won't even see your attachment. "Healingbear <" wrote: > > My last 2 post...

INI file keeps moving
Hi, I'm using an .INI file in a doc/view architecture. The problem is that after the user has saved a file, and then I later write to the INI file, the INI file is written in the directory which the user saved their document to. ie. 1. INI file is read from AppDir/MyApp.INI 2. User saves document to .../DocumentFolder/filename.doc 3. Application uses WriteProfileInt to write to the .INI file 4. AppDir/MyApp.INI is not changed, but a new ini file is created in ..../DocumentFolder/MyApp.INI I've fixed this by putting the cwd into the name of the INI file, but I wonder if it has t...

Looping until empty column
Here is my dilemma. I can do VBA in Access, but for some reason I jus don't get it in excel. What I want to do is go down a column and stor that info in a variable. I want this to happen untill there is no mor data. Once I have that data I want to go to another page and store th data in an empty column. I want the program to auto. find the empt column. Thank You in advance. thegu -- thegu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theguz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2491 View this thread: http://www.excelforum....

pst file appears empty
Hello all! I have a 450 MB pst file, that appears empty in OL98. I have run scanpst several times, did not help. I changed the first byte of the file from 21 to 00 with a hex editor and ran scanpst, it did report errors, fixed them and still no help. I tried exmerge, which reported succesful import, but did not actually retrieve anything from the pst file. Mdbvu32 also shows that the stuff is in there. It seems that the problem is quite common, but does anyone have a solution, how to fix it. Please help! Harri ...

excel #76
i have two different spreadsheets containing two columns, column A contains reference numbers (both sheets will have the same refernces) column B will contain the amounts which may differ on each sheet. i need to run a compare program to identify all amounts that differ between the spreadsheets for the same refernce number. for eample sheet 1 reference no amount 111 120.00 112 345.90 113 122.50 sheet 2 reference no amount 111 0.00 112 345.90 113 100.00 how can i find out the amounts and refernces...

Qurey Excel database?
Hi, This is the scenario: - 10 departments each with its own worksheet (contains one week o information) 60 rows for employee names per department and the hours worked each da (in each worksheet) A person could work in 6 different departments during the week Some departments may not operate at all during the week I need to assemble the hours worked per day per person onto a summar sheet. I am sure that its a simple problem - just that I am simpler than th problem! PLease can anyone point me in the right direction because I can't eve think of a way to search for the answer in the help...

excel help please. Urgent!!
Please help, im trying to get excel to return a number if the amount entered falls between 2 set amounts. Example below. ?1-?1000 3 Days ?1001-?2500 5 Days ?2501-?5000 10 Days ?5001-?9999 20 Days ?10,000 + 30 Days So if an amount is entered, say ?4500 it would return 10 Days. I managed to get a formula kind of working but it doesnt seem to work all the time. =IF(A2>10000,"30 Days",IF(A2>5000,"20 Days",IF(A2>2500,"10 Days",IF(A2>1000,"5 Days")))) Can someone please help as this is quite urgent. thanks ...

how do i create a short cut on my desktop for a excell file?
I would like to have a short cut from my desktop to open a specific excell file, can someone give me each step. Do a "File - Open" in Excel. After finding the file in the location where you saved it, right click on the filename. From that menu select "Send To" and from the next submenu select "Desktop (create shortcut)" That should put a shortcut on your desktop. Not an excel but more of a windows question if that's what you are using, right click desktop, select new shortcut, browse to select the excel file, click next and either keep the name or give...

Empty Cell not empty
If I use the following formula: =IF(B25="","",B25+C25) in Column U all the way down to Row 20000 to create a new value... (Column B has a date and Column C has a Time) and then copy and paste Column U to Column T as values, I see empty cells in Column T once my data runs out (presently around Row 40. However....if I use the CountA function,it is telling me that I have data in Column T all the way down to Row 20000. Since this combined Date/Time is being used as X Axis data it is screwing up the graph because Excel thinks those cells are Jan 1, 1900 when in fact...

Excel default number format problem
I have a user with an incorrect default cell format in Excel. His default number of decimal places for a cell with numbers is set to 4 instead of 2. I have no idea how he caused this and I have no idea how to correct it. In case I'm being ambiguous, here is the procedure: Open a new Excel workbook, choose any cell and go to Format. In the Format Cell dialog box go to the Number tab and choose the Number category. The Decimal Places box will be set to 2 by default but in this user's Excel it is set to 4. How do I get it back to the default of 2? http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick...

my Excel chart doesn't print as it appears on print preview
my Excel chart doesn't print out to fit the page as it apppears to do on print preview. It always comes out shrunk in size. Take a look at Page Setup and adjust it to get what you want. "Doug 1014" <Doug 1014@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCE3AC95-13EA-4418-891C-0D79A84EECCE@microsoft.com... > my Excel chart doesn't print out to fit the page as it apppears to do on > print preview. It always comes out shrunk in size. I have done this several times both by using % reduction to make it fit and also using "fit to page", still com...

How do I do a Mail Merge in Excel?
I'm trying to create individual sales invoices for multiple recipients. How would I go about doing a mail merge in Excel, or is there a better way to get the same results? Do a mail merge in Word, using an XL workbook as a source. In article <01B86E28-CD7A-4199-8BFC-24CB5BB8E3B4@microsoft.com>, Shauna <Shauna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to create individual sales invoices for multiple recipients. How > would I go about doing a mail merge in Excel, or is there a better way to get > the same results? ...

Empty Excel file is too large
I have deleted all sheets, and contents from my excel file, but it's still 2Meg in size. When I zip it, it's only 90K Bytes. (A blank excel file is usually 90K Bytes) Why is my empty file so large? It was originally 5 Meg, and I deleted all sheets, formulas, and VB codes. Right now there is nothing (except one empty sheet), but the size is still 2M. Please respond. Sometimes what I find is that Excel counts unused rows as part of the file size. So what I do is highlight all the rows from the first unused one to the last one, i.e. ctrl+g to bring up the goto box, then Ax:a65536,...

replace files in list
two text files, doc1.txt and doc2.txt document1.txt contains code which have names (absde.exe, etc) inside double quotes. ReturnAPP_B ("absde.exe") ReturnAPP_B ("dhdjd.exe") ReturnAPP_B ("fhgfjfj.exe") Document2.txt contains list of files, each from new line file1.exe file2.exe files3.exe .... The task is just replace all files in doc1.txt inside pattern with files from doc2.txt , i.e. replace "absde.exe" with "file1.exe", "dhdjd.exe" with "file2.exe"and so on. The quantity of files in doc1.txt and...

Excel Preview
Does Excel have a preview pane (document map) on the left like in Word ? Sorry. No. If this post helps click Yes --------------- Jacob Skaria "TC" wrote: > Does Excel have a preview pane (document map) on the left like in Word ? ...