Employee number and name

Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it will
return the name?

Thanks for your help - Dave

0
cadasco (20)

You need to have a table of two columns (or more for other info) where the
first column is the
emplyee number and the second is the name.

=vlookup(A5,F3:G60,2,false) will give you
the name of the empl# in A5 from the table.
2 stands for the second column of that table.

--
Greetings from New Zealand
Bill K

"Dave S" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
> will return the name?
>
> Thanks for your help - Dave

Thanks Bill - I'll give it a try now!

"Bill Kuunders" <bill.kuunders@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> You need to have a table of two columns (or more for other info) where the
> first column is the
> emplyee number and the second is the name.
>
> =vlookup(A5,F3:G60,2,false) will give you
> the name of the empl# in A5 from the table.
> 2 stands for the second column of that table.
>
> --
> Greetings from New Zealand
> Bill K
>
> "Dave S" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
>> will return the name?
>>
>> Thanks for your help - Dave

0
cadasco (20)
8/23/2005 8:55:07 PM
Hi Bill - Not sure that I quite understand it.

I have 2 employees numbers in cells a5 and a6 and the names in cells b5 and
b6. I'd like to type an employee number in a13 and for it to return the
relevant name. What would be the formula? Hope this makes sense.

"Bill Kuunders" <bill.kuunders@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> You need to have a table of two columns (or more for other info) where the
> first column is the
> emplyee number and the second is the name.
>
> =vlookup(A5,F3:G60,2,false) will give you
> the name of the empl# in A5 from the table.
> 2 stands for the second column of that table.
>
> --
> Greetings from New Zealand
> Bill K
>
> "Dave S" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
>> will return the name?
>>
>> Thanks for your help - Dave

0
cadasco (20)
8/23/2005 9:06:17 PM
Change the formula Bill gave you to this:

In B13 type: =VLOOKUP(A13,A5:B6,2,0)

Copy this formula down to B14

Now when you type an employee number into A13 or A14 you'll get th
corresponding names in B13 and B1

--
Cutte
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=984

If you are going to copy that formula down you'll want to use absolute
references for the lookup range:

=VLOOKUP(A13,$A$5:$B$6,2,0)

Regards
Rowan

"Cutter" wrote:

> Change the formula Bill gave you to this:
>
> In B13 type: =VLOOKUP(A13,A5:B6,2,0)
>
> Copy this formula down to B14
>
> Now when you type an employee number into A13 or A14 you'll get the
> corresponding names in B13 and B14
>

> --
> Cutter
> Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398406

0
Rowan (114)
8/24/2005 2:27:04 AM
You're right, Rowan.  My bad.

--
Cutter
Cutter's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=9848
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398406

Thanks for your replies - I still can't get my head around this - I'll try
again later.
"Dave S" <cadasco@SUPERhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is there some way that when I enter an employees number in to a cell it
> will return the name?
>
> Thanks for your help - Dave

0
cadasco (20)

Tracking Number on SOP Invoice Form
I am trying to get the Tracking number that is entered in the Sales User Defined Fields Entry Window onto the SOP Long Invoice Form. Does anyone know what tables to create the relationship with? I know the SOP10107 table holds the tracking number into and I was able to get the table in the table list but i must have the incorrect relationship because nothing appears on the report when i add the tracking number. -- Thanks Knavas Hello Knavas, If you are on GP 7.5 SP2 or higher you can refer to KB article 874762. If you are on GP 7.5 SP1 or lower you can refer to KB 859212. Both art...

how can text be set up to generate a number?
i would like to a word generate a number, i.e.> enter "apples"in one cell and excel generate "352" in a different cell for items like inventory. Basically You will need to set up a 'Lookup' table somewhere with Apples 352 In two columns. Complete this for all entries and then if you are going to enter 'Apples' on another sheet in A1 then in A2 enter =VLOOKUP(A1,Your_Lookup_Range_Address,2,FALSE) -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "jwmaes" <jwmaes@discussions.microso...

Show email address instead of contact name
How can I make Outlook 2000 show the typed email address instead of resolving to the contact name in printouts of the contacts list and in the address boxes of email ? For example, I have a list of contacts in a custom list view with the email fields showing. Several of the entries in the email fields have resolved to the name of the contact. I want to see their email address not their name again. Also, a second example. I have three email addresses for a person, in the Email1, Email2, and Email3 fields. I go to send an email and instead of selecting the default from the addressbook/contact ...

Type Name in the To: field
I moved several people from one exchange server to the next and everthing is fine if you select them. If I type the name in it still has the old information in it. How do I clear this. Thanks for your help! We have Outlook 2000 and 2003 in 2003, use the arrow key to select the old address and press delete. if it also happens in 2000, find and delete the *.nick file. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips...

copy sheet with range names
I'm making 2 copies of an existing worksheet within a workbook. The original sheet has lots of range names. Now, when I make my copies, the range names are screwed up and are referring to the new sheet instead of the original one. What's up with that? I don't see any options related to range names. Deleting and resetting the names would take forever, as would "re-defining". I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas? -- RMC,CPA I think if you look at your range names, you'll find that xl localized the copies. When it copied the worksheet, it had to do something ...

Numbers Chart
I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. thanks, CB -- C and A Bredt Top left corner of chart: =ROW(A1)+10*(COLUMN(A1)-1) Copy to a 10x10 area. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "C and A Bredt" wrote: > I need a 10x10 chart of numbers 1-100 with the numbers vertical. > I'm sure there is a quickie way to do it. > thanks, CB > -- > C and A Bredt > Highlight the cells, format > Cells > Alignment and make it 90 degrees. "Luke...

Sending large number of emails
Does anyone know of the restrictions and/or procedures using Outlook for sending a large number of emails-same message, large number of addressees, like 1000 or more. Thanks Outlook probably won't be the restriction here but your ISP. Contact them to verify that you are indeed allowed to send that many e-mails as once. When you are allowed to so you can either use the BCC field and put all the addresses in there or use a Mail Merge from within Word. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD...

refering to a name range area as a reference value multiple times on a worksheet at different locations
i was wondering if i had posted this in the right section as it could apply to both please could you take a look at the following post http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel.misc/browse_thread/thread/f088a5737dd26570 thank you Is there some reason you can't post your question here instead of asking us to look elsewhere? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Blinds Nottingham" <bradrail.blinds.awnings@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:d8768e43-e035-45eb-856a-0ccdc843441d@g1g2000yqi.googlegroup...

Tab Names #3
Hi, I am looking for a code that can change the sheet tab name to correspond with a name in a given cell on the same worksheet Many thanks in advance John Hi John, VBA event code Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Address(False, False) = "A1" Then Me.Name = Target.Value End If ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub 'This is worksheet event code, which means that it needs to be 'placed in the appropriate worksheet code module, not a standard 'cod...

Call up computer name
[Excel 2003] Is there a way to retrieve the computer identity/name and display it in a listbox on a userform? regards, Roger uName =3D Environ("computername") Me.ListBox1.AddItem uName On Dec 3, 9:30=A0am, Roger on Excel <RogeronEx...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > [Excel 2003] > > Is there a way to retrieve the computer identity/name and display it in a > listbox on a userform? > > regards, > > Roger Thanks - works nicely Roger "muddan madhu" wrote: > > uName = Environ("computern...

Changing name from Arabic to English
I, m registering all new recruitment employees so always I'm writing the employee name by Arabic and English. So there is any code to change automatically the person name for Arabic to English ...

Division on a totaled number
I have a worksheet where I have a column that has number of participants to attend a class, a column that has the length of class and then a column that has a formula to multiply the number of participants times the length to get a total amount of time trained (example 15 people in a one hour class is a total of 15 hours). The column with the total amount I have auto summed so I get a total number of hours for a month. I want to know take that total for the month and divide it so I know how many minutes that breaks down to. I can not get any formula to come out right for me. I know ...

Change sheet number in formula
Is there a way to do the following. I have a sheet with a formula that reference to another sheet. I need to pull a number from the same cell in every sheet. I want to do a summary of some sheets using the formula... =+'Sheet1'!A1 =+'Sheet2'!A1 Instead of hard coding the sheet number in the above formula, is there a way to reference a sheet number from another cell.?? ie Cell A1 = Sheet1" Cell A2 = "Sheet2" Then have another cell that pulls from A1 =+'CellA1'!A1 Very difficult to explain.... hope that made some sense... Thanks ** Post...

Fonts name using CDC
Hello, I am drawing text using CDC (MFC control). How can I know all the Fonts available? does anyone know the font list available (if so please, and it is not so long, please write it, or at least tell me how to get it) thanks! Mathieu "Mathieu Fregeau" <mathieu.fregeau@polymtl.ca> wrote in message news:fAg0b.670$HB4.154408@news20.bellglobal.com... > Hello, > > I am drawing text using CDC (MFC control). How can I know all the Fonts > available? does anyone know the font list available (if so please, and it is > not so long, please write it, or at least te...

no option to add display name
I am running outlook xp on a both win98 and xp machines. In neither case can I find or set a display name for my email account (ie so others will see my display name). I have seen various suggestions about going to email accounts/change but there is just no option there for 'display name'. Is it something to do with the 'mode' of install? any advice appreciated david marcus David Marcus <dmarcus@netspeed.NO-SPAM.com.au> wrote: > I am running outlook xp on a both win98 and xp machines. In neither > case can I find or set a display name for my email account ...

Entourage: Calendar User Name Incorrect-Correct elsewhere.

Last and first name
I am trying to show both names in the lastname field like: ControlSource: =" " & [LastName] & ", " & [FirstName] what is it that i'm writing wrong ? thanks That should work, assuming the LastName and FirstName are fields in the form's RecordSource. Try renaming this text box. Access gets confused if it has the same name as a field, but is bound to something else. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "dan...

How do I print a font list using font name in the fonts?
I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that particular font. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FontSampleGenerator.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Rich641" <Rich641@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AB860C6E-32E3-4C5F-B695-0B479B9BE4CF@microsoft.com... >I want to print a list of all of the fonts that I have using that >particular > font. > ...

Comparing two numbers
I am trying to figure out how to compare two numbers (that are constantly changing in value) to see if they meet a particular ratio and then pick the smallest of that original number to be carried forward. I have tried nesting If statements but end up with "False" answers instead of 0 sometimes. This is the type of data I am tring to compare along with the conditions that must be met. Example 1. a. 166.00 b. 97.00 First condition: If B>=1/3A Second condition: If B meets first condition then B must be larger than C. Third condition If B meets second condition then C is ...

What happened to the column number count in the status bar?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I am new to using Office with a mac, and I have a lame question. I am using Word 2008. There used to be options as to what counts and tools you could put at the bottom of the window. Such as, word count, page number, column number etc. I don't see any options to customize the status bar. Am I missing something? It used to be as easy as right clicking (w/PC) and selecting which tool you wanted. How do I do this with my Mac??? Any help is appreciated. -B Yeah, evidently the guy/gal in charge of those features was out...

How to change name of SMTP server (exchange 5.5) according to reverse DNS record?
Forward and Reverse DNS records should match. What are you asking? "Ales Baranek" <baranek@extranet.cz> wrote in message news:%23E6kgWjIEHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > I need to change my SMTP server name according to DNS record. "Fritz" <fritz@biteme.net> wrote in message news:%233Tb7cjIEHA.1528@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Forward and Reverse DNS records should match. > What are you asking? > "Ales Baranek" <baranek@extranet.cz> wrote in message > news:%23E6kgWjIEHA.3092@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > > > &...

Importing numbers from 200 worksheets into 1
I wish to import numeric data from numerous worksheets, say upto 200, into an overall summary page. For example, I have 200 projects, thus each worksheet is named Prj1, Prj2, etc. In each of these I enter the numbers of hours that the workforce book to these projects. The list of workforce members can be up to 100 different designations, and different projects necessarily do not use the same combination of the workforce. For example: Column C Column E Prj1 row 17 lead electrical engineer 200 Row 23 Senior mechanical engineer 450 Row 51 Junior piping engineer 700 Pr...

Faulty memory
Hi Everyone, Some time ago I was playing with some Goldmine data and the major obstruction to my migration was that it stored the name data in the format: Last Name and Full Name - no first name. So I put the data into an Excel spreadsheet, then I did something clever that escapes me now. I think I may have used the LEN command to change the text strings to a numeric value, then subtract the last name value from full name value then convert what I had left back to text - which gave me the first name. I can't seem to get it back into text, if I did use the LEN command at all. Can anyone...

calculated field in Employee List
Hello: I have successfully been able to add the employees' start date to the Employee List by Supervisor report in Payroll. But, the field does not print (correctly) for the suupervisors who are listed in the header (H1) of the report. The reason for this is because the Employee ID for the employees is coming from the Payroll Master table, while the Employee ID for the supervisors is coming from the Payroll Supervisor Setup table. I'm trying to create a calculated field that will bring in the start date for the supervisor from the supervisor's employee card. How do I d...

Telephone Numbers
How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > PhoneNumber > OK Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Kennel slave" wrote: > How do I format an entire column to automatically convert the number: > 1236785555 to appear (123) 678-5555? Thanks, Chuck! It worked! "CLR" wrote: > Highlight the cells, then do Right-click > FormatCells > NumberTAB > Special > > PhoneNumber > OK > > Vaya con Dio...