Drop Down Lists and Auto Fill

I am trying to create a bid calculater. I have created a dropdown list of
equipment. Each piece of equipment has a rental rate and an operator rate.
How can I make it so when I select a piece of equipment from my drop down
list the rental rate is pulld too?
0
Ken1 (215)

You would normally use a VLOOKUP for this, something like:

=VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,0)

assuming A1 is where your drop-down is, "table" is a named range
covering your data (which may be in another sheet), and that the rate
you want is the second column of "table".

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 21, 3:52 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I am trying to create a bid calculater. I have created a dropdown list of
> equipment. Each piece of equipment has a rental rate and an operator rate.
> How can I make it so when I select a piece of equipment from my drop down
> list the rental rate is pulld too?

0
pashurst (2576)
3/21/2007 4:29:18 PM
Pete_UK, I've gotten confused. I dont have the spreadsheet vocabulary to
clearly express what my question is, so please bear with me.
I created a Table on Sheet 1. It has 4 columns. On Sheet 2 I created a drop
down list. The drop down list comes from Column A. On Sheet 2 when I select
an item from the drop down list, I want the information from columns b,c,and
d to fill next to the Item in the drop down list. Example:
SHEET 1
A               B            C             D
Truck         40           40           120
SHEET 2

Dropdown      fill         fill        fill
Truck            40         40        120
"Pete_UK" wrote:

> You would normally use a VLOOKUP for this, something like:
>
> =VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,0)
>
> assuming A1 is where your drop-down is, "table" is a named range
> covering your data (which may be in another sheet), and that the rate
> you want is the second column of "table".
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 21, 3:52 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to create a bid calculater. I have created a dropdown list of
> > equipment. Each piece of equipment has a rental rate and an operator rate.
> > How can I make it so when I select a piece of equipment from my drop down
> > list the rental rate is pulld too?

0
Ken1 (215)
3/21/2007 4:57:22 PM
Highlight all the data in your table on Sheet1 (eg A1:D100 if you have
100 items) then Insert | Name | Define and give this range the name
"table" (without the quotes). Then on sheet2 you can have these
formulae to retrieve the items matching the pull-down in A1:

B1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,2,0)
C1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,3,0)
D1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,4,0)

Note that the only difference is the third parameter, which determines
which column of the table of data that you want the corresponding item
to be returned from. Once you have typed the formula into B1, you can
copy it to C1 and D1 and then just edit the formula to change the 2 to
a 3 or a 4 in turn.

Select different names in A1 and see the values change automatically.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 21, 4:57 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Pete_UK, I've gotten confused. I dont have the spreadsheet vocabulary to
> clearly express what my question is, so please bear with me.
> I created a Table on Sheet 1. It has 4 columns. On Sheet 2 I created a drop
> down list. The drop down list comes from Column A. On Sheet 2 when I select
> an item from the drop down list, I want the information from columns b,c,and
> d to fill next to the Item in the drop down list. Example:
> SHEET 1
> A               B            C             D
> Truck         40           40           120
> SHEET 2
>
> Dropdown      fill         fill        fill
> Truck            40         40        120
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > You would normally use a VLOOKUP for this, something like:
>
> > =VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,0)
>
> > assuming A1 is where your drop-down is, "table" is a named range
> > covering your data (which may be in another sheet), and that the rate
> > you want is the second column of "table".
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Mar 21, 3:52 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > I am trying to create a bid calculater. I have created a dropdown list of
> > > equipment. Each piece of equipment has a rental rate and an operator rate.
> > > How can I make it so when I select a piece of equipment from my drop down
> > > list the rental rate is pulld too?- Hide quoted text -

pashurst (2576)
3/21/2007 7:55:47 PM
THANKS!! I really appreciate your help!!!

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> Highlight all the data in your table on Sheet1 (eg A1:D100 if you have
> 100 items) then Insert | Name | Define and give this range the name
> "table" (without the quotes). Then on sheet2 you can have these
> formulae to retrieve the items matching the pull-down in A1:
>
> B1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,2,0)
> C1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,3,0)
> D1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,4,0)
>
> Note that the only difference is the third parameter, which determines
> which column of the table of data that you want the corresponding item
> to be returned from. Once you have typed the formula into B1, you can
> copy it to C1 and D1 and then just edit the formula to change the 2 to
> a 3 or a 4 in turn.
>
> Select different names in A1 and see the values change automatically.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 21, 4:57 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Pete_UK, I've gotten confused. I dont have the spreadsheet vocabulary to
> > clearly express what my question is, so please bear with me.
> > I created a Table on Sheet 1. It has 4 columns. On Sheet 2 I created a drop
> > down list. The drop down list comes from Column A. On Sheet 2 when I select
> > an item from the drop down list, I want the information from columns b,c,and
> > d to fill next to the Item in the drop down list. Example:
> > SHEET 1
> > A               B            C             D
> > Truck         40           40           120
> > SHEET 2
> >
> > Dropdown      fill         fill        fill
> > Truck            40         40        120
> >

> > "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > > You would normally use a VLOOKUP for this, something like:
> >
> > > =VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,0)
> >
> > > assuming A1 is where your drop-down is, "table" is a named range
> > > covering your data (which may be in another sheet), and that the rate
> > > you want is the second column of "table".
> >
> > > Hope this helps.
> >
> > > Pete

Ken1 (215)
3/22/2007 1:55:32 PM
You're welcome, Ken - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Mar 22, 1:55 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> THANKS!! I really appreciate your help!!!
>

> "Pete_UK" wrote:
> > Highlight all the data in your table on Sheet1 (eg A1:D100 if you have
> > 100 items) then Insert | Name | Define and give this range the name
> > "table" (without the quotes). Then on sheet2 you can have these
> > formulae to retrieve the items matching the pull-down in A1:
>
> > B1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,2,0)
> > C1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,3,0)
> > D1:    =VLOOKUP(A$1,table,4,0)
>
> > Note that the only difference is the third parameter, which determines
> > which column of the table of data that you want the corresponding item
> > to be returned from. Once you have typed the formula into B1, you can
> > copy it to C1 and D1 and then just edit the formula to change the 2 to
> > a 3 or a 4 in turn.
>
> > Select different names in A1 and see the values change automatically.
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > Pete
>
> > On Mar 21, 4:57 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Pete_UK, I've gotten confused. I dont have the spreadsheet vocabulary to
> > > clearly express what my question is, so please bear with me.
> > > I created a Table on Sheet 1. It has 4 columns. On Sheet 2 I created a drop
> > > down list. The drop down list comes from Column A. On Sheet 2 when I select
> > > an item from the drop down list, I want the information from columns b,c,and
> > > d to fill next to the Item in the drop down list. Example:
> > > SHEET 1
> > > A               B            C             D
> > > Truck         40           40           120
> > > SHEET 2
>
> > > Dropdown      fill         fill        fill
> > > Truck            40         40        120

pashurst (2576)
3/22/2007 5:55:03 PM
Pete,
You are the "hero of the day". I've been trying to solve that issue for
months and your solution worked like a charm and took all of 1 minute to
execute. Thank you for your expertise.

-NB

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> You would normally use a VLOOKUP for this, something like:
>
> =VLOOKUP(A1,table,2,0)
>
> assuming A1 is where your drop-down is, "table" is a named range
> covering your data (which may be in another sheet), and that the rate
> you want is the second column of "table".
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Pete
>
> On Mar 21, 3:52 pm, Ken <K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to create a bid calculater. I have created a dropdown list of
> > equipment. Each piece of equipment has a rental rate and an operator rate.
> > How can I make it so when I select a piece of equipment from my drop down
> > list the rental rate is pulld too?

0
NB (5)

Drag and drop of eMail to own application
Hi everybody, i like to drag and drop an eMail of Outlook ( Express & Xp ) and Thunderbird into my own application ( MFC ). There'in the dropped eMail should be readed and the subject, body text, Recepiant, ... should be displayed into textboxes. I can check the different formats of the Drag-Event or Clipboard data. An Outlook Express mail is stored in plaintext into the clipboard, so it's seriously possible to extract it. But with Outlook XP Mails i see only the name of a .eml file ( the of file which would be saved on the Destop for example ) But how to extract the data? Do...

Customizing Activities / History List saving changes
Hi I have made some changes to CRM forms using formeditor. I do not know how will these changes show in my system. I have uploaded customization but its not working. Any suggestions, advice please Sarah did you publish the changes via Deployment Manager on the CRM server? -Gary "Sarah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62416116-EB6B-4CF8-AE4A-BBB4628F1923@microsoft.com... > Hi > I have made some changes to CRM forms using formeditor. I do not know how will these changes show in my system. I have uploaded customization but its not working. >...

How to prevent auto-conversion to date in clipboard paste special?
Hi, First: Im in Finland, so the decimal separator here is comma -- not a dot! So, I have an application that produces data containing product codes, names and price information. The application uses decimal point, not comma. In this application I'd like to paint, copy, and the in Excel 2000 "Paste special" / "text" the data into Excel (data is conveniently tab separated so it goes nicely into Excel cells), but: One of the rows has price "12.5385" and if I "paste" or "paste special" / "text" this to excel it converts into &quo...

Distribution list cannot receive external mail
Exchange 2003 Windows 2000 Server SP4 I have set up a distribution list and it works fine internally. It cannot, however, receive mail sent from an external address. An NDR is generated and I have included a copy below: This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed: <XXXX@XXXX.com> SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command: host mail30.messagelabs.com[193.109.254.163]: 550-Invalid recipient <XXXX@XXX.com> 550 (#5.1.1) I have configu...

Auto response from an account set up in my public folder
I have created and access to another e-mail account in my public folder that is for my employees email me with request and concerns. This is in my regular Outlook account. I am trying to create an auto response to answer the senders that the info was received and I will contact them. How can I do this? Thanks right click on the public folder and choose properties, administration tab, folder assistant. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe...

Drop Down List #9
I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I create this. One sheet would where the final product is and the other would be where the data is being kept. Watch this 5 min video: How to setup a data validation drop down list: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Vincent Kerzman" <Vincent Kerzman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DAA48B-0BD2-4932-AE91-B86D55B8D8A6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I > create this. > > One s...

Users not appearing in Global Address List
Hi, I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in the Global Address List. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks, Joe On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:52 +1000, "Joe Spenceley" <jspenceley@alwindows.com.au> wrote: >Hi, > >I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in >the Global Address List. > >Can anyone tell me why? > >Thanks, >Joe > Check in ADU&C to see if an email address has been applied. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/07/07/175444.aspx And: http://s...

drag and drop
Using office XP I cannot drag and drop items from one folder to another in outlook 2002. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Filter list not correctly refreshed
Hi, I created a pivot table in Excel, linked to a database. So I added some filters to this table, displaying lists. The fact is that when I try to find a value in this list (my filter list), I don't find this value. I explain with more details. I add a new value to a list A in TFS (value x). I wait for the OLAP cube to refresh. I open my excel file, I check in the A list (used in my file as a filter) and try to select the value x, but I don't find it. My OLAP cube has correcty refreshed the data (I can see it with the displayed data in my tables). What should I d...

drop down data want to choose more than one item for cell
I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than one item from the box to go into the cell. Multiselect from a DV dropdown is possible using VBA. See Debra Dalgleish's site for a downloadable sample workbook with event code. http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017 Note that you can have the selections in an adjacent cell or in the same cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:40:08 -0800, FranW <FranW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than...

Auto input days of week
Hi, I'm looking to set up a spreadsheet where users enter new months date in cell A1, I have worked out how to auto input dates down the rest of column A but need to fill in days of week in column B. I'm trying to automate process as not all users proficient with excel. It needs to work for any month. Any help would be much appriciated. -- brom0910 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ brom0910's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27416 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49...

drop down calendar #4
In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only displayed the source range. Any ideas? TIA http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/excelhacks.html "Ray A" wrote: > In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I > downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only > displayed the source range. Any ideas? > TIA > Ray See Ron de Bruin's site for this. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord D...

Drop Down List #2
Hi All Can this be done, as I am struggling. I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from this data, and I can't make it happen, I can create a drop down list in sheet A from data in sheet A but not from sheet B Could anyone help please Cheers Steve Name the range on the other sheet, and you can refer to it in the data validation dialog box. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Steve wrote: > I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from > this data, and I can't make it h...

Missing Contact List in Outllook 2002
User is trying to create a a distribution list in her Contact List, but found the contact list to be missing. How did this happen, and can it be replaced? Thanks. Herb Brown ...

Question of drop-down listbox
Hello, Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. Thank You! I don't get it. ES_AUTOHSCROLL is an Edit control style, how would it apply to a listbox or combobox? What are you trying to do? AliR. "Ririko Horvath" <horvathr@securemethods.com> wrote in message news:uHUo%23OyLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll > (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. > > Thank You! > > I'm soory for not expressing my question properly...

Where is my contact list
After a minor systems crash, something seems to have gone wrong in Outlook XP. I can see my contact list in Contacts. However, when I send an email, there is no contact list and no alternatives on which to select. If I then add a new contact, it is saved and appears on its own in the email contact list. Further investigation shows that is is stored in a file called outlook1.pst whereas all my other contacts are stored in outlook.pst I've prodded around and everything else seems fine. Does any know how I can get to access my original contact list when sending an email. TIA So how ma...

Listing Dates
Hi! I have a spreadsheet with the following info: Date Time Profit 03/10/2003 0132 65 03/11/2003 0358 -22 03/12/2003 2135 120 ..... ..... 10/29/2004 1826 -18 So there are hundreds of rows of data. 1-How can I generate a list of all the MONDAYS to the side of this list? 2-How can I get the average value of PROFIT when Time is <= 14:00) Thank you Maxime ...

I want a list of everything defined on a form
I have a fairly complicated form. I want a list of the names of everything on the form. How to do this? Tom Have you looked into the documenter that comes with Access? Tools | Analyze | Documenter (actual selections vary by version). Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "tom" <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:GW4pi.23942$Rw1.23211@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net... >I have a fairly complicated form. I want a list of the names of everything >on the form. How to do this? > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:45:26 GMT, "tom" <Spa...

Global Adrress List
Good Morning, I need help guys, i have two DOMAINScontrollers,the first " Exchange server 2000 " with name of : FOX.COM. The second " Exchange server 2000 " with name of : TEST.COM I need access "Global Address List" of FOX.COM in TEST.COM. How make this? Tank You! F´┐Żbio Viana fabio.viana@redevco.com.br Are these just two domain controllers, both members of the .com domain? Or are these two seperate domains? "Fabio Viana" <lefalus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b8aaea6d.0504141211.7aa35849@posting.goog...

reporting on drop-down values
We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table where all the actual text values are stored? Hi use the stringmaps table to get the description of picklist values. I hope it helps. -- Singh http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com MSCRM Consultant Orion Enterprise Sydney "TheWkndr" wrote: > We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course > the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table > where all the actual text values a...

finding largest value from list of strings
I have a range that is populated from a db using MS-QUERY. All fields are formatted from the source as strings. Some columns contain numeric values. How do I find that largest value in a column? If the fields where values, I could use MAX() or LARGE(), but with the fields being strings, these don't work. Thanks - Daron Try this array-entered** formula (change the ranges to suit your needs)... =MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(--A1:A100),--A1:A100,"")) **Commit formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter by itself -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Daron" <Daron.Lowell@gmail.com> ...

List Box to show your Order
At the Moment I have a query that lists my Horses on my form I have a Text box next to each horse so depending what number I put in my text Box gives me a Printing Order, This is for Printing Worksheets, What I am trying to Achieve is say to list Boxes and you highlight a Horse a click the arrow to send it to another Listbox on the same form then print the Order in list Box2, Once you select a record and click it to List Box 2 it disappears from list box 1, Any Ideas how to start this? -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home...

Drop user or alias before dropping login
I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error: Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases. Drop the user or alias before dropping the login. Any advice? Hi Caroline, GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any uncheck all the database access and drop the user. Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access too. If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they are not in the users list in the databases. ...

Auto macro in Excel help
Hi all, I have a workbook with multiple sheets. I want the sheet 1 always to display first and is there a method to display the current user name which updates it self automatically when different users use the book when its on a share - I'm thinking of setting up a log. I've done the following as a test but its not really what I want - ideally there would be a text box that auto changes without it having to be clicked. Sub logontest() Worksheets("Frontscreen").Activate Dim x Set x = CreateObject("WSCRIPT.Network") Dim u u = x.UserName 'up...

Drop down list 04-23-10
How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? You can't. Perhaps you've seen the button created from a AutoFilter ot PivotTable? -- Best Regards, Luke M "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F248BA68-6874-4712-876D-CF2890DD0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? Use a combo box from the Forms toolbar. The drop down arrow is always visible. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...