Drop down lists #8

Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
i.e

Column A1 would be “Size”                Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
Column B1 would be “Width”            Answer from another list but dependent
on the fist lists chosen “Letter”
Column C1 would be “Length”           Answer from another list but dependent
on the second lists chosen “Width”

A1       B1        C1
A         10”      40”

Or

A1       B1        C1
C          20”      50”

The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
choices in column C1.
I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
column.
I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
could give.

Thank you for your time.
--
ch
0

I assume you are referring to the AUTOFILTER feature?  If so, select first what
you want in Col A, then when result shows, select what you want in Col B and
from the result select what you want in Col C.   Apologies if I have
misunderstood your question.

Gerry

"Gripper" <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
> possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
> i.e
>
> Column A1 would be "Size"                Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
> Column B1 would be "Width"            Answer from another list but dependent
> on the fist lists chosen "Letter"
> Column C1 would be "Length"           Answer from another list but dependent
> on the second lists chosen "Width"
>
> A1       B1        C1
> A         10"      40"
>
> Or
>
> A1       B1        C1
> C          20"      50"
>
> The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
> in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
> choices in column C1.
> I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
> column.
> I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
> could give.
>
> Thank you for your time.
> --
> ch

0
m.o.l1 (4)
12/3/2006 11:01:18 AM
Hi Gerry
you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C  to be dependent
on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.

--
ch

"Gerry Atrick" wrote:

> I assume you are referring to the AUTOFILTER feature?  If so, select first what
> you want in Col A, then when result shows, select what you want in Col B and
> from the result select what you want in Col C.   Apologies if I have
> misunderstood your question.
>
> Gerry
>

> "Gripper" <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
> > possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
> > i.e
> >
> > Column A1 would be "Size"                Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
> > Column B1 would be "Width"            Answer from another list but dependent
> > on the fist lists chosen "Letter"
> > Column C1 would be "Length"           Answer from another list but dependent
> > on the second lists chosen "Width"
> >
> > A1       B1        C1
> > A         10"      40"
> >
> > Or
> >
> > A1       B1        C1
> > C          20"      50"
> >
> > The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
> > in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
> > choices in column C1.
> > I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
> > column.
> > I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
> > could give.
> >
> > Thank you for your time.
> > --
> > ch

0
Gripper (4)
12/3/2006 12:22:00 PM
> Hi Gerry
> you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
> dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C  to be dependent
> on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
> change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.
>
> --
> ch

Is all the data already entered in cols A, B and C and you are searching for
specific information like how many As with width X and length Y   OR do you mean
you want to be able to enter a value in say A2 and this will generate a choice
of values you can enter in B2 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C2?

Gerry

0
m.o.l1 (4)
12/3/2006 1:19:27 PM
"Gripper" <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Gerry
> you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
> dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C  to be dependent
> on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
> change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.
>
> --
Sorry - meant to ask you - if  Col A is A, will Col B ALWAYS be say 10 and Col C
ALWAYS be say 30  i.e.  A 10 and 30 always go together, A 10 20 would not be
allowed?  If that is the case then I think lookup tables would be better than
drop down lists.

Gerry

0
m.o.l1 (4)
12/3/2006 1:37:25 PM
Hi Gerry
all the data in cols A are from one drop down list and what ever item you
pick from that list gives you a choise from another drop down list in B and
what ever item you pick from B that list gives you a choise from another drop
down list in  C

Like you said earlier,
I want to be able to enter a value in say A1 from a drop down and this will
generate a choice
of values I can enter in B1 and that will generate a choice of values you can
enter in C1

Thanks for the help Gerry
--
ch

"Gerry Atrick" wrote:

> "Gripper" <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Gerry
> > you have miss under stood a little, i need the answer in column B to be
> > dependent on what was choosen in column A, and then column C  to be dependent
> > on what was choosen in column B and they all need to be drop down list that
> > change depending on the list before. Hope this helps.
> >
> > --
> Sorry - meant to ask you - if  Col A is A, will Col B ALWAYS be say 10 and Col C
> ALWAYS be say 30  i.e.  A 10 and 30 always go together, A 10 20 would not be
> allowed?  If that is the case then I think lookup tables would be better than
> drop down lists.
>
> Gerry

0
Gripper (4)
12/3/2006 2:25:00 PM
Do the values in column C depend on what was selected in both A and B,
or just the selection in B?

If it's just dependent on B, use the technique shown here:

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/3/2006 4:38:29 PM
If there is a list of widths available for 10" length, no matter what
size was selected in A, you could do the following:

Type the list of widths for each length
Name each list, e.g.: Width10

In cell C2, for the data validation, allow a List
In the Source box, type:

     =INDIRECT("Width"&SUBSTITUTE(C2,CHAR(34),""))

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/3/2006 5:10:11 PM
See Debra Dalgleish's site for how-to's

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 02:21:00 -0800, Gripper <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
>possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
>i.e
>
>Column A1 would be �Size�                Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
>Column B1 would be �Width�            Answer from another list but dependent
>on the fist lists chosen �Letter�
>Column C1 would be �Length�           Answer from another list but dependent
>on the second lists chosen �Width�
>
>A1       B1        C1
>A         10�      40�
>
>Or
>
>A1       B1        C1
>C          20�      50�
>
>The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
>in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
>choices in column C1.
>I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
>column.
>I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
>could give.
>
>Thank you for your time.

0
Gord
12/3/2006 5:36:07 PM
Hello ,Debra & Gord
                            I'm going back to that link and having another
read of the site, I've run out of time tonight, many thanks for all your help
so far.
--
ch

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> See Debra Dalgleish's site for how-to's
>
> http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal02.html
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 02:21:00 -0800, Gripper <Gripper@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Just a quick question, I'm using M/S Exel 2003 and would like to know if it's
> >possible to make a 3 column drop down list that depends on the list before,
> >i.e
> >
> >Column A1 would be “Size”                Just a normal list (covering A-Z)
> >Column B1 would be “Width”            Answer from another list but dependent
> >on the fist lists chosen “Letter”
> >Column C1 would be “Length”           Answer from another list but dependent
> >on the second lists chosen “Width”
> >
> >A1       B1        C1
> >A         10”      40”
> >
> >Or
> >
> >A1       B1        C1
> >C          20”      50”
> >
> >The Letter in column A1 would generate a drop down list of about 10 choices
> >in Column B1 and that in turn would generate a drop down list of about 10
> >choices in column C1.
> >I have done this with two columns, but can not find any examples for a 3
> >column.
> >I am only a beginner with Excel and would appreciate any help or advice you
> >could give.
> >
> >Thank you for your time.

0
Gripper (4)

Customizing Activities / History List saving changes
Hi I have made some changes to CRM forms using formeditor. I do not know how will these changes show in my system. I have uploaded customization but its not working. Any suggestions, advice please Sarah did you publish the changes via Deployment Manager on the CRM server? -Gary "Sarah" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:62416116-EB6B-4CF8-AE4A-BBB4628F1923@microsoft.com... > Hi > I have made some changes to CRM forms using formeditor. I do not know how will these changes show in my system. I have uploaded customization but its not working. >...

Drag and drop of eMail to own application
Hi everybody, i like to drag and drop an eMail of Outlook ( Express & Xp ) and Thunderbird into my own application ( MFC ). There'in the dropped eMail should be readed and the subject, body text, Recepiant, ... should be displayed into textboxes. I can check the different formats of the Drag-Event or Clipboard data. An Outlook Express mail is stored in plaintext into the clipboard, so it's seriously possible to extract it. But with Outlook XP Mails i see only the name of a .eml file ( the of file which would be saved on the Destop for example ) But how to extract the data? Do...

Distribution list cannot receive external mail
Exchange 2003 Windows 2000 Server SP4 I have set up a distribution list and it works fine internally. It cannot, however, receive mail sent from an external address. An NDR is generated and I have included a copy below: This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. The following addresses failed: <XXXX@XXXX.com> SMTP error from remote server after RCPT command: host mail30.messagelabs.com[193.109.254.163]: 550-Invalid recipient <XXXX@XXX.com> 550 (#5.1.1) I have configu...

Drop Down List #9
I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I create this. One sheet would where the final product is and the other would be where the data is being kept. Watch this 5 min video: How to setup a data validation drop down list: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Vincent Kerzman" <Vincent Kerzman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2DAA48B-0BD2-4932-AE91-B86D55B8D8A6@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a drop down list using two worksheets. How would I > create this. > > One s...

Users not appearing in Global Address List
Hi, I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in the Global Address List. Can anyone tell me why? Thanks, Joe On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 16:39:52 +1000, "Joe Spenceley" <jspenceley@alwindows.com.au> wrote: >Hi, > >I've created three new users all with mailboxes and they aren't appearing in >the Global Address List. > >Can anyone tell me why? > >Thanks, >Joe > Check in ADU&C to see if an email address has been applied. See: http://blogs.msdn.com/exchange/archive/2004/07/07/175444.aspx And: http://s...

drag and drop
Using office XP I cannot drag and drop items from one folder to another in outlook 2002. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Filter list not correctly refreshed
Hi, I created a pivot table in Excel, linked to a database. So I added some filters to this table, displaying lists. The fact is that when I try to find a value in this list (my filter list), I don't find this value. I explain with more details. I add a new value to a list A in TFS (value x). I wait for the OLAP cube to refresh. I open my excel file, I check in the A list (used in my file as a filter) and try to select the value x, but I don't find it. My OLAP cube has correcty refreshed the data (I can see it with the displayed data in my tables). What should I d...

publisher 97 #8
I have installed MS Publisher 97 on my machine running Windows ME but every time I try to run the program I get the following error message - "Can't load Custom Control DLL.'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSPUBG40.VBX" and the program locks up. I have tried repairing the program in Add and Remove programs in control panel and have unistalled it and reinstalled it - all without success. Is there a way to overcome this problem? Rename the MSPUBG40.VBX to MSPUBG40.old and drag a new instance from your CD. Be sure the file is in the c:\windows\system folder. If the VBX file is damage...

Help #8
I upgraded windows and when i re-installed outlook, i lost all my messages and my address book. I really want to get these back. Is there any way to get them? Please help me if you can. Thank you ...

drop down calendar #4
In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only displayed the source range. Any ideas? TIA http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2004/04/27/excelhacks.html "Ray A" wrote: > In a cell I want to have a drop down calendar of the current month. I > downloaded a template of a calendar and tried data valadation but it only > displayed the source range. Any ideas? > TIA > Ray See Ron de Bruin's site for this. http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm Gord D...

drop down data want to choose more than one item for cell
I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than one item from the box to go into the cell. Multiselect from a DV dropdown is possible using VBA. See Debra Dalgleish's site for a downloadable sample workbook with event code. http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DV0017 Note that you can have the selections in an adjacent cell or in the same cell. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:40:08 -0800, FranW <FranW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a drop down box that i want folks to be able to choose more than...

Drop Down List #2
Hi All Can this be done, as I am struggling. I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from this data, and I can't make it happen, I can create a drop down list in sheet A from data in sheet A but not from sheet B Could anyone help please Cheers Steve Name the range on the other sheet, and you can refer to it in the data validation dialog box. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html Steve wrote: > I have data in sheet B and want to create a drop down list in sheet A from > this data, and I can't make it h...

Missing Contact List in Outllook 2002
User is trying to create a a distribution list in her Contact List, but found the contact list to be missing. How did this happen, and can it be replaced? Thanks. Herb Brown ...

Question of drop-down listbox
Hello, Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. Thank You! I don't get it. ES_AUTOHSCROLL is an Edit control style, how would it apply to a listbox or combobox? What are you trying to do? AliR. "Ririko Horvath" <horvathr@securemethods.com> wrote in message news:uHUo%23OyLFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to have listbox or combobox with Auto HScroll > (ES_AUTOHSCROLL) capabilities. > > Thank You! > > I'm soory for not expressing my question properly...

Listing Dates
Hi! I have a spreadsheet with the following info: Date Time Profit 03/10/2003 0132 65 03/11/2003 0358 -22 03/12/2003 2135 120 ..... ..... 10/29/2004 1826 -18 So there are hundreds of rows of data. 1-How can I generate a list of all the MONDAYS to the side of this list? 2-How can I get the average value of PROFIT when Time is <= 14:00) Thank you Maxime ...

Where is my contact list
After a minor systems crash, something seems to have gone wrong in Outlook XP. I can see my contact list in Contacts. However, when I send an email, there is no contact list and no alternatives on which to select. If I then add a new contact, it is saved and appears on its own in the email contact list. Further investigation shows that is is stored in a file called outlook1.pst whereas all my other contacts are stored in outlook.pst I've prodded around and everything else seems fine. Does any know how I can get to access my original contact list when sending an email. TIA So how ma...

I want a list of everything defined on a form
I have a fairly complicated form. I want a list of the names of everything on the form. How to do this? Tom Have you looked into the documenter that comes with Access? Tools | Analyze | Documenter (actual selections vary by version). Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "tom" <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:GW4pi.23942$Rw1.23211@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net... >I have a fairly complicated form. I want a list of the names of everything >on the form. How to do this? > On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 16:45:26 GMT, "tom" <Spa...

Global Adrress List
Good Morning, I need help guys, i have two DOMAINScontrollers,the first " Exchange server 2000 " with name of : FOX.COM. The second " Exchange server 2000 " with name of : TEST.COM I need access "Global Address List" of FOX.COM in TEST.COM. How make this? Tank You! F�bio Viana fabio.viana@redevco.com.br Are these just two domain controllers, both members of the .com domain? Or are these two seperate domains? "Fabio Viana" <lefalus@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b8aaea6d.0504141211.7aa35849@posting.goog...

reporting on drop-down values
We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table where all the actual text values are stored? Hi use the stringmaps table to get the description of picklist values. I hope it helps. -- Singh http://mscrmshop.blogspot.com MSCRM Consultant Orion Enterprise Sydney "TheWkndr" wrote: > We created drop-downs and wish to add the values to a report, but of course > the extentionbase tables only show the numbers. Is there a specific table > where all the actual text values a...

List Box to show your Order
At the Moment I have a query that lists my Horses on my form I have a Text box next to each horse so depending what number I put in my text Box gives me a Printing Order, This is for Printing Worksheets, What I am trying to Achieve is say to list Boxes and you highlight a Horse a click the arrow to send it to another Listbox on the same form then print the Order in list Box2, Once you select a record and click it to List Box 2 it disappears from list box 1, Any Ideas how to start this? -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home...

finding largest value from list of strings
I have a range that is populated from a db using MS-QUERY. All fields are formatted from the source as strings. Some columns contain numeric values. How do I find that largest value in a column? If the fields where values, I could use MAX() or LARGE(), but with the fields being strings, these don't work. Thanks - Daron Try this array-entered** formula (change the ranges to suit your needs)... =MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(--A1:A100),--A1:A100,"")) **Commit formula using Ctrl+Shift+Enter, not just Enter by itself -- Rick (MVP - Excel) "Daron" <Daron.Lowell@gmail.com> ...

Drop user or alias before dropping login
I am trying to delete a user, and I get this error: Login is aliased or mapped to a user in one or more databases. Drop the user or alias before dropping the login. Any advice? Hi Caroline, GO to SQL server --> logins and select the user and open check the properties of the login and see what database access the users has. If any uncheck all the database access and drop the user. Also make sure from the GP front end you have unchecked the company access too. If still you get errors go to each database on the server and make sure they are not in the users list in the databases. ...

Drop down list 04-23-10
How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? You can't. Perhaps you've seen the button created from a AutoFilter ot PivotTable? -- Best Regards, Luke M "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F248BA68-6874-4712-876D-CF2890DD0BF1@microsoft.com... > How do you display drop down list button even if the cell is not selected? Use a combo box from the Forms toolbar. The drop down arrow is always visible. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "DLB" <DLB@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

Outlook 2003 Drap and Drop Issue
Hi If you take an email from Outlook and perform a drag and drop to the tasks, the task is created but the message body text is empty. Any reason why this should happen. Cheers ...

How do I remove a "List" once I've created it in 2003
I just used the new feature "List" in 2003 to try to organize all my source data into one "unit" (to make pivot tables easier). It's not working as I planned and it slows down the resources so I'd like to undo the list. DOes anyone know how to do that? Thanks I believe you are looking for... Data | List | "Convert to Range" HTH -- Dana DeLouis Win XP & Office 2003 "Joyce" <Joyce@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AA8656B-FE42-463E-AD3D-9F99A77E22C1@microsoft.com... >I just used the new feature "Lis...