Counting rows of blanks across certain columns

I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a
particular question extend from Q6 to Z505.  I need to count the people who
did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505
that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can
someone offer a suggestion?

Hi

You can use a formula like this in Column AA
=IF(COUNTA(Q6:Z6)=0,1,"")
copy down till AA505

You can use a simple Sum formula now to count the empty ones
=SUM(AA6:AA505)

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"crossingboston" <crossingboston@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a survey whose answers were recorded in Excel. The answers for a
> particular question extend from Q6 to Z505.  I need to count the people who
> did not answer the question (that is, the people, entered in rows 6 to 505
> that left columns Q through Z blank). I'm not sure how to do this. Can
> someone offer a suggestion?

0
rondebruin (3789)

How to get a long column of numbers to wrap and print on 1 page?
I have a long column of numbers that we add to daily. This column needs to be sorted in ascending order and then printed. I don't know of a way to sort multiple columns together so that is why it is one long column. Is there a way to get it to print as multiple columns across a page so as to not have numerous pages with only 1 column on each? Thanks. take a look here: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm In article <3880FBB4-BF95-4A82-B98A-519C79BF1A34@microsoft.com>, Sue <Sue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a long column of numbers th...

Inserting Columns in Excel
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel When I select a column or columns to enabalize inserting additional columns, nothing happens. I can't get columns to insert in either the page layout view or the normal view. Why is something so simple not working? All I get is a little paintbrush icon that wants me to decide if I want the formatting of the adjacent column or not. Please help, it can't be that hard! No offense, but my guess is that you're misinterpreting the feature & perhaps using it on a blank sheet. The command does not increase...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

Excluding Rows During Printout
Hi, Is there a way to automatically exclude rows when printing an Excel sheet? I have a list of items (in two colums) in a work sheet similar to this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task B: 0 Task C: 2 Task D: 0 Task E: 0 Task F: 0 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 When I print the worksheet I only want to print lines where the time cell is not zero. So the printout from the previous data would look like this: Task Time ----------- ------- Task A: 1 Task C: 2 Task G: 4 Task H: 1 Is there a...

Formulas don't work in certain cells #3
One formula is: =SUM(C10:C15) another: =SUM(O16/6363) another: =SUM(C19:C36) these same formulas work in the cells right next to these wit different cell references. However, no matter which cell I put th above formulas in, the result is the same - either blank with a dash i the cell or zero. I checked all the cells that the formulas refer t and none has any errors. -Jorda -- kalik24 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kalik247's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1594 View...

Count

Openning Grouped Columns in Protected Sheets
We want to put such a protection to the sheet that, the protection will not prevent the user from openning grouped columns. This is possible only through a macro, for example: Sub a() With Sheet1 .EnableOutlining = True .Protect , True, True, True, True End With End Sub This setting does not get saved with the workbook, so it must be reset by running this macro each time the workbook is opened. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

Summary in the last row
Hi, I'm need to make a vba macro where the macro automaticly shall find the last row and make a summary of the total column D. I cant get It right, can someone please help? So far I only has typed following. Dim lngLastRow As Long lngLastRow = ActiveSheet.Cells(Rows.Count, "D").End(xlUp).Row Range("D" & lngLastRow + 1) = _ -- Best regards Mia Sub slr() dim mc as long Dim lr As Long mc = 4 'col D lr = Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row Cells(lr + 1, mc) = _ Application.Sum(Range(Cells(1, mc), Cells(lr, mc))) End Sub -- Don Guill...

getting rid of zero values in a column
i have a set of data on a column that i`ll use to plot on a graph and find a trendline for its behaviour...problem is: there is zero values in some cells that were not calculated... i want to copy this data in a new column getting rid of cells with zero value because it results in a wrong trendline...how can i do this?please help this is an example of what i mean: 1 1 3 3 4 4 0 6 6 3 3 1 0 0 0 1 One of the simpler ways is to hide the rows for the cells that have zeros and then plot the graph. "kafoury123" wrote: > i have a set of data on a ...

Extra Blank Lines
The following macro imports a text file and sorts horse races in time order and puts a blank line in between each race time (which is at the end of the code), which it does admirably. I had some valuable help with this project from group members recently. However, it does create quite a few blank lines en bloc. It's not really a problem, as I search them out and do a delete. Below is the code which a member might use in order to find the cause of the blank lines? Sub Macro1() Range("A2:J601").Select Selection.ClearContents Range("A2").Select ...

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Read values from excel rows
hi I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 columns for each row and same number of data in each rows. Kindly help regards shantanu shantanu, You need to explain how/where you want to read them.... From another workbook, another worksheet, a VBA function, a macro, a C# application? HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "shantanu" <shantanusenin@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1184298794.259390.216180@i38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > hi > I am trying to read the values from a excel row. There are 89 > columns for each row and same number of da...

Line count

Populate Blank Fields with "0" based on checkmark.
I have a form with 20 fields. The user enters data into some but not all of the fields depending on where they collected data. Is it possible to create a checkbox where, after the user enters their data, they click the checkbox, and any of the 20 fields that are blank get populated with a 0? Thanks for the help. Is there any reason you want them to be zero? If they are numeric fields, you can set the default to zero in table design view. There is no need to use a checkbox, you can arrange it so any empty fields are converted to zero when you move to another record or exit th...

Makeing a row to be invisible.
Hi, Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be invisible base on value of another cell. for example: make a row to be invisible (by setting row's text color same as background color) if another cell's value is equal to zero. Thanks in advance. Select row to hide. Format>Conditional Formatting>Formula is: =$A$2=0 Format>Font>Color.......white OK your way out. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 15:21:33 -0800, "A-Design" <afshinstock@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Without using VBA, how can I make a row of cells to be ...

Counting sales

double-click in between two rows or two columns
How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions when I double-click in between two rows or two column ? Thanks Hi This is a feature of Excel! When you double click the border of the selected cell, the cursor will go to the edge of the contiguous data on the sheet. It's very useful for jumping to the start/end of data. I don't know of a way to disable it. -- Andy. "Ben" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bf5d01c4382c$a19b1bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How to avoid cursor jumping around to different positions > when I double-c...

trying to create an insert row macro
hey guys, I'm trying to create a macro to streamline a process for one of our factory guys. Right now, I'm going down and manually inserting rows into a database and then dragging the needed formulas and information from the rows above down. What I'm trying to do is make it so he can place his cursor, hit the macro key stroke and have that done for him. When I record the macro, I think I am making an absolute cell reference, because when I run the macro it will only instert where I initially inserted the row. How do I create the macro so he can select where he wants it ...

select query of parent and child in one row
I have a parent table and a child table one parent has between 1 and 6 children in the child table I wont a query to have the parent and the child in one "row" how do I create that? thanks for helping me Your table structure is not correct for a relational database but this will get you there. This has three but you get the idea and expand on it. Place the table in the design grid as many times as you have field to combine. SELECT MultipleFieldData.x, MultipleFieldData.a & IIf(MultipleFieldData_1.b Is Null,Null," " & MultipleFieldData_1.b) & IIf(MultipleF...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Column Forumulas
I'm sure this is simple, but i suck with excel. Okay, I want to mulitply column A by column B and paste the product into column C. For example, A2 x B2 = C2, but for say, 100 rows without having to do it by hand. -- GuitarFingers ------------------------------------------------------------------------ GuitarFingers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34737 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=544964 Select the 100 cells in C, starting at C2 In the formula bar, enter =A2*B2 Use Ctrl-Enter to enter the formula...