Count Text Data

Using 2007 on Vista

If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there
is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in
them per column?

Many thanks
0
weewillie1 (10)

=COUNTA(A2:A200)

will count everything except blanks

post back if you have numbers as well that
should not be counted

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

<weewillie@anon.com> wrote in message
> Using 2007 on Vista
>
> If I've got text data which in some columns either has data or there
> is a blank, what formula do I use to count how many cells have text in
> them per column?
>
> Many thanks

0
terre081 (3244)
6/26/2008 6:55:59 PM
On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:55:59 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
wrote:

>=COUNTA(A2:A
0
weewillie1 (10)
6/26/2008 8:11:09 PM
Thanks

I did just that
In my case it's " =COUNTA(A2:A1293)"
I then dragged this formula along the bottom of each column
Despite some columns have less data than in col a, all columns show
the same result 1292
How can this be?

wrote:

>=COUNTA(A2:A200)
>
>will count everything except blanks
>
>post back if you have numbers as well that
>should not be counted
0
weewillie1 (10)
6/26/2008 8:13:25 PM
Hi
Perhaps you have calculation mode set to Manual

Tools>Options>Calculation>automatic

--
Regards
Roger Govier

> Thanks
>
> I did just that
> In my case it's " =COUNTA(A2:A1293)"
> I then dragged this formula along the bottom of each column
> Despite some columns have less data than in col a, all columns show
> the same result 1292
> How can this be?
>
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 11:55:59 -0700, "Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>>=COUNTA(A2:A200)
>>
>>will count everything except blanks
>>
>>post back if you have numbers as well that
>>should not be counted

0
Roger

Add data but disallow the deletion of the original data
Hi, Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but disallow them to modify/delete the original data? -- Regards, Adrian lock the cells to be protected>unlock the cells allowing changes>protect sheet -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OUrzVeShEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but > disallow them to modify/delete the original data? > > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > Adrian You...

How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?
I have means of values that are in a line chart. I want to add error bars, however when I add the error bars with SD=1 they all look the same. I know the SD for each mean is not the same. I want to know how to get the error bars to represent the SD of the data set (the set from which the mean was derived) and not all look the same. Set the 'Error amount' option to 'Custom' and specify the range in your worksheet that has the SDs. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In ar...

Outlook Data Collection for A2007
I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 While in Access I get message: The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007....verify that it is installed....... I am looking for the file name so that I can locate the Add-in. Thanks. Found it........accolk.dll "Tom Ventouris" <tom@pmads.coza> wrote in message news:uiCEP$oYIHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 > While in Access I get message: > The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disab...

Pivot table and counting.

how to make cells automatically format to entered text size?
hello, i am new to excel and i would like to have it resize the cells automatically to the size of the text i entered. i know if i click on a cell and do format - line break it does it for one cell. but how can i have excel do this automatically for every cell in every workbook? thanks Frank Barenhorst email: frank.barenhorst@mailshelter.de Frank Hit CRTL + A to select all cells. Format>Alignment>Wrap Text. To make this the default for all new workbooks and sheets.... Open a new workbook. Customize as you wish. File>Save As Type: scroll down to Excel Template(*.XLT) and...

Best approach, Editing existing data.
Hi, I have a workbook with 2 sheets in it. One called master the othe called data. I have created an input userform that takes the data an puts it into the data sheet. I now need a way to bring up that sam data to be able to alter it. All the data for each vendor , with the vendor name first, is on on line in cells a1, b1, c1 etc... I have a combobox with the linked cell at c14 on my master page wher the name of the vendor I want to edit will appear. I need a way to edit that data. Any Ideas -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

text box printing problems
I have created text boxes using the tool bar, however when I print the sheet or even print preview it moves all the text boxes to the left when it returns to the normal view. I do not want them to realign, but have tried everthing and can not figure out why they are doing this. xl2002??? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;838910 Controls move to the left of the worksheet in Microsoft Excel 2002 But Jim Rech recently posted this: This article is now obsolete. Since the 10/12/2004 security patch there is no need to get a hotfix (although this article does not directl...

Cycle Counting

Import text file from MS Word into MS Publisher.
I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. I want the Word pages to precede the Publisher pages. How is this done? >-----Original Message----- >I have created a text file in Word and a photo file in Publisher and would >like to merge the two. When I imported Word, it seemed to be totally >separate from the Publisher document - 7 pages of Word and 8 pages of photos. > >I want the Word pages ...

comparing data #2
I was wondering is there a way to compare data from 2 columns in a side by side comparison. I have a large list of numbers and what I want to do is copy another list of numbers into the spreadsheet. But I want the numbers in cell A1 and B1 to be equal if they are is not a match then leave cell b1 empty. I want that to continue all the way through the entire worksheet. Maurice, Do you want to end up with 2 separate columns, or are you wanting to merge the 2 lists into 1 list, without duplications? Dave I want 2 side by side columns. With the numbers that are equal right next to each othe...

Adding Text to Charts
I have created a chart in Excel that tracks one of the stock indexes. I have been able to point arrows to specific days and add text so I know what was the reason the stock index was up or down on that day. However, as my chart expands the arrows and text are no longer associated with those day I initially intended it for. Is there any way in Excel to associate text with specific day and have it attached so that if the chart grows or shrinks it will always be associated with that particular day. Thanks Hi Roy, The trick is to group the graphic element and the chart. When adding a graph...

Count

Looking for Macro to load data from Access table
I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know where to start. Thanks Maybe this will help http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Randy K" <wawork@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43ff7bea.3595531@msnews.microsoft.com... >I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload > the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know > where to start. > > Thanks ...

Problem importing data to Money 2006
I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2006 and the dates and quantities of investment transactions are not transferred. I exported multiple accounts within a file with File/Export and changed the file names to reflect the account names (with .qif after them) to a removable flash drive. Followed import instructions (File/Import), set up multiple accounts and moved them as a group. The transfer appeared to be successful except date and quantities were not present. Any ideas? -- leahn In microsoft.public.money, leahn wrote: >I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2...

configure text box
I recently upgraded to Publisher 2003. I can't find how to configure text boxes to overlap each other and keep the text in the same position. In my old version, there was a "check" box in the format text box to allow for this. I've tried different wrapping options in 2003, but can't figure it out. You never have been able to do this in any version of Publisher. You are dreaming about a Text Box - never existed. You either have to place one Text Frame on the Background (Ctrl+M) or convert one to a graphic. -- "If you don't know where you are going, any road...

Line count

Simple...Update Text Box in Chart
Hello, I have a chart in an MS Excel worksheet and I would like to change the value/caption of a textbox( Text Box 20). I have only been able to change the title of the chart with the following: With MyChart.Workbooks(1).Worksheets("Chart").ChartObjects(1).Chart .HasTitle = True .ChartTitle.Text = "Summary of Report" & date() 'Add Today's Date End With Do I have to reference the chart or do I have to reference the textbox itself? Hi, If the shape is actual embedded in the chart object then something like, ActiveChart.Shapes(&quo...

Data Consolidate Limitation
Hi, Consolidate function is useful for budgetary consolidation purpose However, if there are > 12 worksheets to be consolidated, then consolidate function is unable to call back and consolidate say 45 worksheets as it has reached the max limit of consolidation ( ie 12 sheets ) In this case, is there any options/alternatives available either on excel function or excel vba to solve this problem ? Thanks & Regards Len Can you just run cosolidate on 12 sheets at a time. I have written very simple macros (about 30 lines) that can consolidate unlimited number of sheets...

Text to Columns 06-01-10
Hi. I have a column where I have names and surnames. I want to put name in one column and surname in anoter column. In order to do this, I use Text to Columns, but I have the following issue: if the cell contains for example Juan Pérez, it works ok, but when the cell contains Juan De los Santos, it assumes there are three surnames, and then put me one word in each column. This is the result, with the example mentioned: A B C D Juan Pérez Juan De los Santos How can I indicate that...

Outlook data file (pst) is much larger than as reported by Outlook !
Hi all, My Outlook's pst file is 1.7GB, ie quite close to the danger zone (2GB). When I ask Outlook for the size of the folders and all other datas it only shows 1.1 GB total ! Is the file corrupted ? Maybe some remains of an older account ? Using scanpst.exe I see no error or problem in this file. Is there some kind of "purge" operation (other than brutal deletion) ? Claude-Albert NB : same problem seen in Outlook XP and Outlook 2003 for the same pst file. Aloha C-A Berseth, Have you tried compacting it yet? (right-click the root folder of the Personal Folders File, ...

Data Refresh
I have a table with several fields, but in particular Student Number (test) Last Name (text) First Name(test) Grade(text) These fields show on my form called Parking form. These fields are locked. I wish to allow the users to add/edit fields. So I have a cmd button that opens a new form called add/edit new student form. There the user can edit or add a new student then return to the main form. The problem is when you add a new student. That student will not show in the parking form unless you do shift F9. I assume a requery command is needed but I cannot figure out whic...

Counting sales

Pivot table won't updade data when refresh selected
I have a simple pivot table which works on data from a different sheet in the same workbook. When I change the text on the data source and then click refreh an the pivot table it doesn't update. The changes I am making are just simple corrections e.g. changing lower case letters for upper case. Please help. ...