Count Problem

Hi

I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"

All the cells have a formula in them.

The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
different worksheet called "Names"

ie: =Names!A1
     = Names!A2

etc etc

I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
sheet called "Audits"

At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
the range.

How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
return a value?

Thanks in advance

John
0
JohnCalder (178)

Your references returns a 0 until a name is entered?  IF so...
=COUNTIF(A1:A646,"<>0")

"John Calder" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"
>
> All the cells have a formula in them.
>
> The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
> different worksheet called "Names"
>
> ie: =Names!A1
>      = Names!A2
>
> etc etc
>

> I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
> sheet called "Audits"
>
> At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
> is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
> formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
> the range.
>
> How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
> return a value?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> John
0
BoniM (33)
4/19/2007 4:20:12 AM
Or you might try =COUNTIF(A1:A646,">0") if  you still get the wrong number.

--
Best wishes,

Jim

"John Calder" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"
>
> All the cells have a formula in them.
>
> The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
> different worksheet called "Names"
>
> ie: =Names!A1
>      = Names!A2
>
> etc etc
>

> I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
> sheet called "Audits"
>
> At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
> is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
> formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
> the range.
>
> How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
> return a value?
>

> Thanks in advance
>
> John
0
JimJackson (21)
4/19/2007 2:42:03 PM
Thanks BoniM and Jim for your suggestion. However for some reason it does not
seem to work? Well, that not totally true, I entered some test data in the
same work sheet and it works fine, however on the range that I want it to
count it still adds up everything ?

The formula that is in each cell of the range that i want to add up is as
follows:

=IF(Names!A1="","",Names!A1)
=IF(Names!A2="","",Names!A2)
=IF(Names!A3="","",Names!A3)

etc etc (this goes for 20 rows)

I dont think it has anything to do with the way the above formula has been
created but I could be wrong. At present I have 17 names in the "Names" sheet
in column A but the COUNTIF formula still adds up 20?

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

John

"Jim Jackson" wrote:

> Or you might try =COUNTIF(A1:A646,">0") if  you still get the wrong number.
>
> --
> Best wishes,
>
> Jim
>

> "John Calder" wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"
> >
> > All the cells have a formula in them.
> >
> > The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
> > different worksheet called "Names"
> >
> > ie: =Names!A1
> >      = Names!A2
> >
> > etc etc
> >

> > I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
> > sheet called "Audits"
> >
> > At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
> > is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
> > formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
> > the range.
> >
> > How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
> > return a value?
> >

> > Thanks in advance
> >
> > John
0
JohnCalder (178)
4/22/2007 11:20:01 PM
Try =COUNTIF(G1:G646,">""")

This one worked for me.
--
Best wishes,

Jim

"John Calder" wrote:

> Thanks BoniM and Jim for your suggestion. However for some reason it does not
> seem to work? Well, that not totally true, I entered some test data in the
> same work sheet and it works fine, however on the range that I want it to
> count it still adds up everything ?
>
> The formula that is in each cell of the range that i want to add up is as
> follows:
>
> =IF(Names!A1="","",Names!A1)
> =IF(Names!A2="","",Names!A2)
> =IF(Names!A3="","",Names!A3)
>
> etc etc (this goes for 20 rows)
>
> I dont think it has anything to do with the way the above formula has been
> created but I could be wrong. At present I have 17 names in the "Names" sheet
> in column A but the COUNTIF formula still adds up 20?
>
> Any Ideas ?
>

> Thanks
>
> John
>

> "Jim Jackson" wrote:
>
> > Or you might try =COUNTIF(A1:A646,">0") if  you still get the wrong number.
> >
> > --
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "John Calder" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"
> > >
> > > All the cells have a formula in them.
> > >
> > > The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
> > > different worksheet called "Names"
> > >
> > > ie: =Names!A1
> > >      = Names!A2
> > >
> > > etc etc
> > >

> > > I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
> > > sheet called "Audits"
> > >
> > > At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
> > > is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
> > > formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
> > > the range.
> > >
> > > How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
> > > return a value?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > John
0
JimJackson (21)
4/23/2007 12:52:00 PM
I just realized I forgot to return the cell references to your original.  I
had some data in column "G" so used it as referenced cells.  Sorry.
--
Best wishes,

Jim

"John Calder" wrote:

> Thanks BoniM and Jim for your suggestion. However for some reason it does not
> seem to work? Well, that not totally true, I entered some test data in the
> same work sheet and it works fine, however on the range that I want it to
> count it still adds up everything ?
>
> The formula that is in each cell of the range that i want to add up is as
> follows:
>
> =IF(Names!A1="","",Names!A1)
> =IF(Names!A2="","",Names!A2)
> =IF(Names!A3="","",Names!A3)
>
> etc etc (this goes for 20 rows)
>
> I dont think it has anything to do with the way the above formula has been
> created but I could be wrong. At present I have 17 names in the "Names" sheet
> in column A but the COUNTIF formula still adds up 20?
>
> Any Ideas ?
>

> Thanks
>
> John
>

> "Jim Jackson" wrote:
>
> > Or you might try =COUNTIF(A1:A646,">0") if  you still get the wrong number.
> >
> > --
> > Best wishes,
> >
> > Jim
> >

> > "John Calder" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have 20 cells in a single column in a sheet called "Audits"
> > >
> > > All the cells have a formula in them.
> > >
> > > The formula is a simple one that reads whatever I put into a cell on a
> > > different worksheet called "Names"
> > >
> > > ie: =Names!A1
> > >      = Names!A2
> > >
> > > etc etc
> > >

> > > I would like to have a formula that counts up all the results I get in the
> > > sheet called "Audits"
> > >
> > > At the moment if I enter (let say) 15 names in the "Names" sheet the result
> > > is that I see the same 15 names in the "Audits" sheet, however the COUNTA
> > > formula returns a total of 20. SO obviously it is counting the formulas in
> > > the range.
> > >
> > > How can I count these results without including the formulas that dont
> > > return a value?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance
> > >
> > > John
0
JimJackson (21)
4/23/2007 12:54:06 PM
Well done Jim, works great !

Many Thanks

John

"Jim Jackson" wrote:

> Try =COUNTIF(G1:G646,">""")
>
> This one worked for me.
> --
> Best wishes,
>
> Jim
>

> "John Calder" wrote:
>
> > Thanks BoniM and Jim for your suggestion. However for some reason it does not
> > seem to work? Well, that not totally true, I entered some test data in the
> > same work sheet and it works fine, however on the range that I want it to
> > count it still adds up everything ?
> >
> > The formula that is in each cell of the range that i want to add up is as
> > follows:
> >
> > =IF(Names!A1="","",Names!A1)
> > =IF(Names!A2="","",Names!A2)
> > =IF(Names!A3="","",Names!A3)
> >
> > etc etc (this goes for 20 rows)
> >
> > I dont think it has anything to do with the way the above formula has been
> > created but I could be wrong. At present I have 17 names in the "Names" sheet
> > in column A but the COUNTIF formula still adds up 20?
> >
> > Any Ideas ?
> >

> > Thanks
> >
> > John
> >

> > "Jim Jackson" wrote:
> >
> > > Or you might try =COUNTIF(A1:A646,">0") if  you still get the wrong number.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best wishes,
> > >
> > > Jim

0
JohnCalder (178)

Problems Moving Database Files
Hi there, yesterday if been trying to perform a pretty usual task: Moving Exchange 2003 Databases (priv+pub edb+stm) files from one HardDisk (with Letter E:) to another HardDisk (with Letter D:) using the SystemManager. Everything worked fine, SystemManager moved the DBs without any Probs. But after a restart of the server (and removing the Harddisk for Drive E) , the store wouldn't start: "I/O Error: Cant find file E:\..." (similar quote) The Store was still looking in the old place... So I changed the drive Letter of Drive D from D to E...and the store mounted without any ...

Pivot table and counting.

Cycle Counting

To those with CRM Crystal license problems
If you are getting the following error while attempting to get into the Reports section on MS CRM 1.0... In my case, I had this problem after I installed MS CRM onto a new server while it was still on an old server. The new server was setup to point to the existing SQL Server database, so they both were accessing the same data. This was for a transition to the new server to give it more horsepower and separate it from other tasks running on the prior server. What would happen is the user would log onto MS CRM, click on the Reports tab in the lower right, then select any category of reports...

Problem Archiving my mail.
Hello, I have Outlook 2003 and is trying to archive my mail. The problem is that it doesn't archive all the mail. Can someone provide me assitance on how I can archive all my mail? Thanks Turnerpla Hi Turnerpla, AutoArchive is turned on by default. However, you can change its default settings. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Other tab. Click AutoArchive. With Run AutoArchive every n days selected, specify how often to run AutoArchive. Select the options that you want. To apply the changes to all folders, click Apply these settings to all folders now. This ...

Migration problem
Hi I have one Windows NT4 SP6a with Exchange 5.5 SP4 in Domain no. 1 I have a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange Server 2003 in Domain no. 2. Is it possible to migrate users and mailboxes from the Exc. 5.5 to the Exc. 2003 ?? Can any one point me to articles covering this senario, regarding trusts, the creating of accounts in the other domain, settings, what to be aware of, etc. Regards Lars "Lars" <lr@randal.dk.No_SPAM> wrote: >I have one Windows NT4 SP6a with Exchange 5.5 SP4 in Domain no. 1 >I have a Windows Server 2003 with Exchange Server 2003 in Domain no. ...

Count

ADP Read Only Problem
I upsized a 2003 mdb to ADP and connecteed to a 2005 SQLEXPRESS database. I am creating DAP's in it. It works quite well for me. I needed two other tables after I did this. I Imported them into the ADP and created a new page. I added combo boxes to the page in design view and used one of these imported tables as the source. It allows me to make a selection in the combo boxes. After I try to leave the field I get a message saying the data source field is read only and forces me to discard the selection. Is there a way to make this work. Thank you. Let me add to this...

Problems with MFC using CAsyncSocket::
Snippet from my code. Being a client connected to a Server, I have 3 member functions below to use. OnClose, OnConnect and OnReceive. If I were to loose the connection to the server I have no knowledge of it. Any ideas, how I can get notified when I loose my connection to the Server? Also, when I poll the "sock.m_SockStatus" it doesn't give me an error as well. Beging a newbie at this, any help is surely appreciated. Thanks! JT //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// / // mysock member functions void mysock::OnClose(int nErrorCode) { ...

Problem sending mail
I've got OE6. When i send a message, it says "sending message" but it just hangs with the little arrow coming out of the tray and never actually sends it. Can someone help? >I've got OE6. When i send a message, it says "sending >message" but it just hangs with the little arrow coming >out of the tray and never actually sends it. Can someone >help? Probably, if you ask in a newgroup dealing with Outlook Express. That's not this one. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is ...

Line count

e mail problem
i have just downloaded a trial version of office 2007, with office outlook express. i had to uninstall my old 2003 version and have lost all the data contacts etc. i am running an old version of outlook express version 6 i think so i could recieve e mails temporarily. i now however can send e mails from the old version to the new but the new wont allow me to send any e mails at all . as all the buttons for send and forward or reply etc are greyed out. any one help -- help appreciated cheers mel There is no such thing as Office Outlook Express. Outlook Express is part of Internet Explo...

Weboutlook problems.....please help!!!!!
Hi, I am having problems viewing my emails from....I can receive the emails no problem but when I try to read it is says that it can not load the page or that it has a get a Unknown zone. Please help!!! "blondie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:951d01c43381$aa4b0ee0$a601280a@phx.gbl: > I am having problems viewing my emails from....I can > receive the emails no problem but when I try to read it > is says that it can not load the page or that it has a > get a Unknown zone. We'll need more information to assist you. What version of ...

Counting sales

Windows Live Messenger Login Screen problem
Hi All Wonder if anyone can help me. When ever my login screen pops up to type in my email address and password the font has become so small that it is impossible to read. Does anyone have any ideas how to restore it's normal size? I would enclose a screen grab to display this but I don't think I can on this site. Many thanks Timboya;1234807 Wrote: > Hi All > > Wonder if anyone can help me. When ever my login screen pops up to type > in > my email address and password the font has become so small that it is > impossible to read. Does anyone...

problems with restoring back up
I had Money 2003 home & business on my desktop (XP). I now have a new laptop (vista). I have downloaded the trial of the 2008 Home & business money version. I copied the backup file (.mny) through network connection from the deskto to the laptop. Everythime I open the new Money and go to restore backup it asks me for my old password, it comes up with some windows, saying that it is converting files and then it opens the home Money screen, but none of my old info is there, no accounts, no bills. I have run the new Moeny as an administrator and then restarted and I have opened the...

Merge & mail-Problem Inserting full address?
Hello, I'm going crazy with this problem. I'm wanting to print addresses directing on my customer mailing, using no labels. I've successfully added my data source file but when I go to add the Address Block or Address Fields I can't get past having only one Field show. (like First Name) Where it says "Point to field that you want to insert. When the drop down arrows appears, click the arrow, & then Click Insert Text or Insert as Picture". Well I'm not able to find any other of my address fields 'drop down' to add. Even in the Insert Addre...

COUNT ? need formula
Hi, I want to track the results of my teams sales performance. I record if it is a sale, no sale, cancelled etc in column M. I thought I'd be able to use the COUNT function/formula to be able to search for all the SALES in column M and place the result in a cell ( column O )but I can't work it out. Any ideas? Damian Hi! Try this: =COUNTIF(M1:M100,"sale") Biff "Diamond Jones" <kwanzaNOSPAM@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message news:43a0e897$0$17704$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au... > Hi, > > I want to track the results of my teams sales perf...

Essentails Trial Version Update problem
I experienced several problems when setting up my accounts. After deleting the original accounts and readding them, I was able to complete setup and retrieve my current financial information. Now I'm getting errors each time I try to update the accounts. My summary messages tell me to try updating again or contact Customer Support. Any advice? This Trial Version doesn't seem to include or invoke the SP1 update. Could that be part of the issue? ...

excel problem
Hi - when validating a cell to a list box how do I set the list box so that when inputting the first or first few letters the list it automatically goes to the items in the list beginning with these or this letter??? At the moment I've got a list of around 100 items and having to scroll all the way through is a nightmare Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Hi this is not possible with this type of listbox. So no solution for it >-----Original Message----- >Hi - when validating a cell to a list box how do I set the list box so >that when inputting the first or fir...

Count Function
I am creating a report for the number of pupils being collected at a certain collection time e.g. 14:00hr and 15:00hrs using the formula =Count([Child Last Name]) in the collection time footer However when i try to count the overall number of pupils in the footer using the same formula, 'Error' appears on screen? Thanks There are potentially a dozen footer sections in a report. Which one is giving you a problem? What is the name of the control? What is the exact formula? -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "ELo" wrote: > I am creating a r...

DPM2007 (8861): problems with backup W08 R2 Hyper-V VMs
Hi all, Having trouble with backing up a VM guest (Exchange 2k7 Hub/Transport server under W2k3 64bit) on an W08 R2-Hyper-V-Host: Error 30218: Operation failed because DPM encountered an unexpected VSS error. Check the Application Event Log on <server name> for the cause of the failure. Fix the cause and retry the operation. The Hyper-V VMMS version on the VM: 6.1.7600.16385 our "normal" VMs (W2k3/64) under W08 hosts: 6.0.6001.18016 The VSSadmin list writers command on the host: Writer name: 'Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer' Writer Id: {66841cd4-6de...