Count Cells with alphanumeric data

Hi,

I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.

example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.

I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.

If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a
formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range
you need:
=COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A")

"Aris" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.
>
> example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.
>
> I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.
That works great if the number is at the beginning of the string, is there a
way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?

"JLatham" wrote:

> If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a
> formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range
> you need:
> =COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A")
>

> "Aris" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.
> >
> > example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.
> >
> > I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.
Someone sharper than me may come up with a one-formula solution, but about
the best I can do is recommend using a helper column.

In the helper column (assume you have 1st entry, like asd, in A1) on row 1,
put this formula:
=COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))
and 'commit' (end) the formula by pressing the [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Enter] key to
make it an array formula.  Fill it down as far as required.  make the $9 =
the longest possible string in your list that it may find.  This formula will
return the number of numeric characters found in each string.  Now you can
use this formula to get a count of entries in A that numbers in them (this
assumes that your helper column with the array formula from above is in
column X)
=COUNTIF(X:X,">0")

Hope that helps.

"pmartglass" wrote:

> That works great if the number is at the beginning of the string, is there a
> way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?
>
> "JLatham" wrote:
>
> > If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a
> > formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range
> > you need:
> > =COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A")
> >

> > "Aris" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm just trying to count the cells in a range that have alphanumeric data.
> > >
> > > example: asd, we, rty, 22r, 45aa, 1s, wer, tyu.
> > >
> > > I need to count all cells in that range that have numbers.
Thanks - every way I could think of required a helper column as well
thanks for the input

"JLatham" wrote:

> Someone sharper than me may come up with a one-formula solution, but about
> the best I can do is recommend using a helper column.
>
> In the helper column (assume you have 1st entry, like asd, in A1) on row 1,
> put this formula:
> =COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))
> and 'commit' (end) the formula by pressing the [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Enter] key to
> make it an array formula.  Fill it down as far as required.  make the $9 =
> the longest possible string in your list that it may find.  This formula will
> return the number of numeric characters found in each string.  Now you can
> use this formula to get a count of entries in A that numbers in them (this
> assumes that your helper column with the array formula from above is in
> column X)
> =COUNTIF(X:X,">0")
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> "pmartglass" wrote:
>
> > That works great if the number is at the beginning of the string, is there a
> > way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?
> >
> > "JLatham" wrote:
> >
> > > If all of the ones with number have a number as the 1st character, then a
> > > formula like this should work, just change the A1:A8 range to whatever range
> > > you need:
> > > =COUNTIF(A1:A8,"<A")

>is there a way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?

I searched through my extensive formula library and I was surprised to learn
that I had nothing for this.

So, I whipped up this formula but it seems overly complex for the task at
hand.

Create these defined names:

Nums
Refers to:
={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}

Array
Refers to:
={1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}

Then:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))

Possible drawback: Depending on what version of Excel you're using the MMULT
function is limited in range size. Versions prior to Excel 2007 are limited
to no more than 5461 rows of data. No limit in Excel 2007.

I'm reluctant to use helper columns/cells unless there is no other way but
in this case I might even opt for the helpers.Well, maybe not!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"pmartglass" <pmartglass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks - every way I could think of required a helper column as well
> thanks for the input
>
> "JLatham" wrote:
>
>> Someone sharper than me may come up with a one-formula solution, but
>> about
>> the best I can do is recommend using a helper column.
>>
>> In the helper column (assume you have 1st entry, like asd, in A1) on row
>> 1,
>> put this formula:
>> =COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))
>> and 'commit' (end) the formula by pressing the [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Enter] key
>> make it an array formula.  Fill it down as far as required.  make the $9
>> =
>> the longest possible string in your list that it may find.  This formula
>> will
>> return the number of numeric characters found in each string.  Now you
>> can
>> use this formula to get a count of entries in A that numbers in them
>> (this
>> assumes that your helper column with the array formula from above is in
>> column X)
>> =COUNTIF(X:X,">0")
>>
>> Hope that helps.
>>
>> "pmartglass" wrote:
>>
>> > That works great if the number is at the beginning of the string, is
>> > there a
>> > way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?

Hmmm...

Well, that formula ASSUMES the data to be tested is *alphanumeric*. If there
might be numbers in the cells:

ASD
BX0
1DF

Then add a COUNT function to the end:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))+COUNT(A1:A10)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >is there a way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?
>
> I searched through my extensive formula library and I was surprised to
> learn that I had nothing for this.
>
> So, I whipped up this formula but it seems overly complex for the task at
> hand.
>
> Create these defined names:
>
> Nums
> Refers to:
> ={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
>
> Array
> Refers to:
> ={1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}
>
> Then:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))
>
> Possible drawback: Depending on what version of Excel you're using the
> MMULT function is limited in range size. Versions prior to Excel 2007 are
> limited to no more than 5461 rows of data. No limit in Excel 2007.
>
> I'm reluctant to use helper columns/cells unless there is no other way but
> in this case I might even opt for the helpers.Well, maybe not!
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "pmartglass" <pmartglass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks - every way I could think of required a helper column as well
>> thanks for the input
>>
>> "JLatham" wrote:
>>
>>> Someone sharper than me may come up with a one-formula solution, but
>>> about
>>> the best I can do is recommend using a helper column.
>>>
>>> In the helper column (assume you have 1st entry, like asd, in A1) on row
>>> 1,
>>> put this formula:
>>> =COUNT(1*MID(A1,ROW($1:$9),1))
>>> and 'commit' (end) the formula by pressing the [Shift]+[Ctrl]+[Enter]
>>> key to
>>> make it an array formula.  Fill it down as far as required.  make the $9
>>> =
>>> the longest possible string in your list that it may find.  This formula
>>> will
>>> return the number of numeric characters found in each string.  Now you
>>> can
>>> use this formula to get a count of entries in A that numbers in them
>>> (this
>>> assumes that your helper column with the array formula from above is in
>>> column X)
>>> =COUNTIF(X:X,">0")
>>>
>>> Hope that helps.

Thanks a whole bunch. All these helped alot.

"T. Valko" wrote:

> Hmmm...
>
> Well, that formula ASSUMES the data to be tested is *alphanumeric*. If there
> might be numbers in the cells:
>
> ASD
> BX0
> 10
> 100
> 1DF
>
> Then add a COUNT function to the end:
>
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))+COUNT(A1:A10)
>
> --
> Biff
> Microsoft Excel MVP
>

> "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >is there a way to do it if the number is anyplace in the string ?
> >
> > I searched through my extensive formula library and I was surprised to
> > learn that I had nothing for this.
> >
> > So, I whipped up this formula but it seems overly complex for the task at
> > hand.
> >
> > Create these defined names:
> >
> > Nums
> > Refers to:
> > ={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
> >
> > Array
> > Refers to:
> > ={1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))
> >
> > Possible drawback: Depending on what version of Excel you're using the
> > MMULT function is limited in range size. Versions prior to Excel 2007 are
> > limited to no more than 5461 rows of data. No limit in Excel 2007.
> >
> > I'm reluctant to use helper columns/cells unless there is no other way but
> > in this case I might even opt for the helpers.Well, maybe not!
> >
> > --
> > Biff
> > Microsoft Excel MVP
> >

> > "pmartglass" <pmartglass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks - every way I could think of required a helper column as well
> >> thanks for the input

> .

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Aris" <Aris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks a whole bunch. All these helped alot.
>
> "T. Valko" wrote:
>
>> Hmmm...
>>
>> Well, that formula ASSUMES the data to be tested is *alphanumeric*. If
>> there
>> might be numbers in the cells:
>>
>> ASD
>> BX0
>> 10
>> 100
>> 1DF
>>
>> Then add a COUNT function to the end:
>>
>> =SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))+COUNT(A1:A10)
>>
>> --
>> Biff
>> Microsoft Excel MVP
>>

>> "T. Valko" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> >
>> > I searched through my extensive formula library and I was surprised to
>> > learn that I had nothing for this.
>> >
>> > So, I whipped up this formula but it seems overly complex for the task
>> > at
>> > hand.
>> >
>> > Create these defined names:
>> >
>> > Nums
>> > Refers to:
>> > ={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
>> >
>> > Array
>> > Refers to:
>> > ={1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1;1}
>> >
>> > Then:
>> >
>> > =SUMPRODUCT(--(MMULT(COUNTIF(OFFSET(A1:A10,ROW(A1:A10)-1,,1),"*"&Nums&"*"),Array)>0))
>> >
>> > Possible drawback: Depending on what version of Excel you're using the
>> > MMULT function is limited in range size. Versions prior to Excel 2007
>> > are
>> > limited to no more than 5461 rows of data. No limit in Excel 2007.
>> >
>> > I'm reluctant to use helper columns/cells unless there is no other way
>> > but
>> > in this case I might even opt for the helpers.Well, maybe not!
>> >
>> > --
>> > Biff
>> > Microsoft Excel MVP
>> >

>> > "pmartglass" <pmartglass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>> .

Autofit Merged Cells? Can we do this?
I have a row that has merged column cells. Even if I choose autofit, it will not autofit. Is tehre a way to do this? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you search the group archives: http://google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*excel* using "merge autofit" (without quotes) as search terms, you'll find many posts on this topic, including links to a macro by Jim Rech that may work for you. In article <kenji4861.vwe00@excelf...

Summing 2 columns cells into a 3rd colums cells
In Excel 2007, I need the to add data from column L's cells 2-93 with the data from column M's cells 2-93 and have it total in Column N's cells 2-93. I'm hoping that there is an easier way than auto summing each pair of cells. This example is the smallest range that I have to due this with and auto summing is to time consuming. Please if you have a formula that I can use it would be extremly helpful. Just in case you haven't notice I'm still in the learning stages.................. -- Thank You, Wayne Cadigan Hi Wayne You can still do this ...

How to I incorporate SD from a data series into chart error bars?
I have means of values that are in a line chart. I want to add error bars, however when I add the error bars with SD=1 they all look the same. I know the SD for each mean is not the same. I want to know how to get the error bars to represent the SD of the data set (the set from which the mean was derived) and not all look the same. Set the 'Error amount' option to 'Custom' and specify the range in your worksheet that has the SDs. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In ar...

Pivot table and counting.

Outlook Data Collection for A2007
I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 While in Access I get message: The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007....verify that it is installed....... I am looking for the file name so that I can locate the Add-in. Thanks. Found it........accolk.dll "Tom Ventouris" <tom@pmads.coza> wrote in message news:uiCEP$oYIHA.4180@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am trying to set up data collection. Outlook and Access 2007 > While in Access I get message: > The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disab...

Excel-how (find/replace) for multifmat cells w/o changing fmat
For a client, i need to be able to find and replace words in cells with 2 formats. But when you replace them,it changes the format of the whole cell, and not just what you changed. Is there any way to work around this without changing the format after all of the find and replaces? Saved from a previous post, but this one has some wordwrap problems fixed: I think you'd have to keep track of each character's font attributes. This works very slowly, but works: Option Explicit Option Compare Text Type myCharacter myChar As String myLen As Long myName As String myFo...

Add data but disallow the deletion of the original data
Hi, Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but disallow them to modify/delete the original data? -- Regards, Adrian lock the cells to be protected>unlock the cells allowing changes>protect sheet -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Adrian" <xinke@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OUrzVeShEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there are a way to let users add on data to a spreadsheet but > disallow them to modify/delete the original data? > > -- > Regards, > Adrian > > Adrian You...

Cell formating in Excel?
Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? No. -- Best Regards, Luke M "pmarina" <pmarina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D25B665-B7B8-477D-AAF8-80A347FFA0DD@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to have a scroll bar in a single cell? ...

Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) error
What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the error? Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) Thanks Daniel Hi Daniel, Too much missing information - has r been declared and what data type is it and what value does it have. What property of the range are you trying to store in the variable RN? What type of variable is RN and has it been declared. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Daniel" wrote: > What wrong with this. It create error. How can I improve to get rid the > error? > > Set RN = Range(Cells(2, 1), Cells(r, 1)) > &...

comparing data #2
I was wondering is there a way to compare data from 2 columns in a side by side comparison. I have a large list of numbers and what I want to do is copy another list of numbers into the spreadsheet. But I want the numbers in cell A1 and B1 to be equal if they are is not a match then leave cell b1 empty. I want that to continue all the way through the entire worksheet. Maurice, Do you want to end up with 2 separate columns, or are you wanting to merge the 2 lists into 1 list, without duplications? Dave I want 2 side by side columns. With the numbers that are equal right next to each othe...

Cycle Counting

Can I limit a cell to 2 characters?
Is there a way in Excel to limit the number of characters in a cell? Thanks Frank By checking the length of the cell =LEN(A1)=2 in your custom validation. Look for Data Validation on Debra Dalgleish's site. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Frankc" <Frankc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:842747F1-1792-4BB5-B3CE-707C7CC5F88F@microsoft.com... > Is there a way in Excel to lim...

Problem importing data to Money 2006
I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2006 and the dates and quantities of investment transactions are not transferred. I exported multiple accounts within a file with File/Export and changed the file names to reflect the account names (with .qif after them) to a removable flash drive. Followed import instructions (File/Import), set up multiple accounts and moved them as a group. The transfer appeared to be successful except date and quantities were not present. Any ideas? -- leahn In microsoft.public.money, leahn wrote: >I'm importing data from Money 2000 into 2...

To keep in just one cell all values related to a monthly rate
I have to update in a monthly basis a currency rate. I know that there is a function, formula (or something like that) to link a month descripton to a number. e.g. September09 1,325 October09 2,235 November09 1,258 I would like to select correspondent month and the cell be updated with the value. Data Validation dropdown list for choosing the month combined with a lookup table and VLOOKUP function. For help on creating data validation dropdown lists see Debra Dalgleish's site. http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataVal01.html For help on VLOOKUP to populat...

Looking for Macro to load data from Access table
I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know where to start. Thanks Maybe this will help http://www.rondebruin.nl/accessexcel.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Randy K" <wawork@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:43ff7bea.3595531@msnews.microsoft.com... >I need to code a button to delete data in a spreadsheet then reload > the data from an Access table. I'm a new excel user so I down know > where to start. > > Thanks ...

format cells #4
hi. how can i set by default the cell formatting to 'general' or 'number' or even 'text'? i mean i dont want excel to correct let's say: 1.5 to 01.may or 9/12 to 09.dec. is this possible? thanks. (i have some programs which export data to excel and instead of numbers in excel appear dates and i can't set the cell format before the data is exported) -- notrace2004 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ notrace2004's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=34817 View this thread: http://www....

change highlight color on active cells
How do I change the active highlight color of an active cell. Louis Only though VBA. Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) Static OldCell As Range If Not OldCell Is Nothing Then OldCell.Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone End If Target.Interior.ColorIndex = 6 'yellow Set OldCell = Target End Sub This is sheet event code. Right-click on the sheet tab and "View Code". Copy and paste into that module. Chip Pearson has a great add-in named Rowliner.xla that will make the highlighting available for all sheets and workbooks. The code above w...

Count

Formatting cells in Excel with Ascending/Descending order
I am trying to insert a drop down asceding/descending arrow in the cell of the excel document. When you click on the arrow which is a small box on the right side of the cell, it will organize all figures/data in that column and you can choose between ascending/descending, or how you want to organize it. Thank you -- Andrew ...

Line count

Data Consolidate Limitation
Hi, Consolidate function is useful for budgetary consolidation purpose However, if there are > 12 worksheets to be consolidated, then consolidate function is unable to call back and consolidate say 45 worksheets as it has reached the max limit of consolidation ( ie 12 sheets ) In this case, is there any options/alternatives available either on excel function or excel vba to solve this problem ? Thanks & Regards Len Can you just run cosolidate on 12 sheets at a time. I have written very simple macros (about 30 lines) that can consolidate unlimited number of sheets...

Filename in Excel Cell Address
Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within the same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? -- Thanks, RickS yes =CELL("filename") -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "RickS" <RickS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A801EEC7-608B-4394-B991-BBBC889D451A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert an excel spreadsheet filename into a cell within > the > same spreadsheet, like the &[File] command in the Header/Footer screen? > -- > Thanks, > Ric...

updating time once only when a cell is filled
Hi, Excuse my lack of experience with excel, I tried to get an answer googling for this problem I have, but I didn't succeed yet solving it. I'm trying to fill a form using excel, but I want that whenever a cell is filled, the time it was filled is updated. The problem I find is that time is updated in all the cells whenever a cell is change, do I make myself clear?, imagine I have these table: A B 1 +if(a1="","",now()) 2 +if(a2="","",now()) So initially I have: A B 1 2...