Copy cell down with automatic updating from cell above

have put this question in New Users forum as this probably a very basi
question that I should know!

I want put something in a cell that will take the cell above that look
in a cell on another worksheet and add something that makes it look i
the next row down

The cell in the first row is:

='Jobs & Tasks'!B$2

What I would like the next cell in the row below to say is

='Jobs & Tasks'!B$3

Without me needing to type it in - so that if I type ='Jobs
Tasks'!B$2 in the top row

Then I want to put the 'magic' formula in the second row so that I ca
then copy down the second row and each following row will have a cel
where the formula automatically increase by one row

Is this possible?

Many thanks in advanc

just remove the $ sign before 2 in the formula. The $ sign fixes th
variable defined in the formula for easily copying the formulas t
different cells, so you can either fix the row or the column or both i
the formula before copying the same. In your case you do not want t
fix the row so just remove the $ sign

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

How to filter text automatically
Hi all, I have a workbook that has infomation imported in from access. the info is as shown session date Amount Due Comments 1 1/1/05 234 11 Good 2 2/2/05 123 7 Not so Good this goe's on for 12 sessions. what I need is for excel to check the session on this worksheet 'Import1' against the 'Main Sheet' cellA1 and which ever one matches then the comment is entered into 'Main Sheet' Cell F62. hope that makes sense. Cheers. Alan In cell F62 of Main Sheet, put this formu...

Extract numeric value from single cell
Hello, I have numeric values within a text string in a single cell. There i no conformity to the length, or the make-up of the text. There is only ever 1 numeric value (that may vary in length from 1- digits long) within the text string. I have used the find function, but is getting vary messy. Is there numeric wildcard character I can use. Im using Excel 2000 Any help would be much appreciate -- Landyma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Landyman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=807 View this thread: htt...

Truncating cells
Hello, I have a spreadsheet full of student names (Last, First, Middle) each in a separate column. I need to shorten the Middle Name column down to just the Middle Initial (1 character). It would be nice to do these using a function rather that edit them individually. I've tried the truncate function but could not get that to work. Any suggestions? Thanks, Matt Verdill Greetings, You need to use the LEFT function. In a new cell, type this formula: =LEFT(A1,1) Where A1 is the cell with the Middle Name and 1 is the number of characters. James Walker, Jr. "Matt Verdill...

Trial M04: Mutual Fund prices not updating
When does money update the prices on Mutual Funds? I am looking at the portfolio view in Money and it shows me the closing prices for wednesday August 13th, yet I'm writing this the evening (11pm) of August 14th. I've told Money to update the prices and it apparently does so as there is no error reported. My other holdings (for what it's worth, they're stocks) are showing the closing prices for August 14th. The particular mutual funds in question are FBGRX, FEQIX and FUSEX. Thanks, Jeff P.S. remove _nospam to reply directly via e-mail. It's due to the power outage ...

Can I "unlock" just one cell in a protected worksheet?
Is there any way I can unlock just one cell in a protected worksheet without removing the protection from the entire worksheet? I am working on a fairly complex worksheet that has 10-15 data entry cells. The rest of the worksheet contains formulas and informational text. I have the formulas pretty much debugged and working. I am now down to making mostly cosmetic changes to the text and formatting. I have marked all of the data entry cells in a different color to help me keep from overwriting a formula, but it still happens occasionally. I usually catch it right away and can recover with ...

Picture behind text in Cells
Is there any way in which a picture can be sent behind the text in the worksheet cells? Or round the other way, is there any way to show the cells contents in front of a picture? Many thanks Bezza Format\sheet\background should do the trick RES That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displayed behind cells. I need to use the cells so that the values displayed infront of the different pictures can be used in forumula's. Bezza That is a valid command. Unfortunately I've got numerous different images that need to be displaye...

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

Money Updates?
When reading the call summary messages, I noticed that under the paragraph "Money Updates": "Your last call encountered an error: (date/time) An unknown error has occurred. Please try the operation again. If the problem persists, please reinstall Money from your original product disks." This has been happening for about 2 weeks now. I've uninstalled and reinstalled three times. On each of those occasions, the first time I update, all goes well. Subsequent times give me the above error message. Quotes and accounts all download fine...just the Money Updates ...

how can you re-number multiple sheets 'automatically'?
I have a large worksheet with a large number (100+) of sheets that I would like to rename/renumber and don't want to do it one-by-one. I.e. change from Sheet 1, Sheet 2, etc to just 1,2,3,.... If your sheets are named Sheet1, Sheet2 etc without the spaces shown in your post then you can use a macro like this to change the names: Sub ChangeNames() Dim i As Integer For i = 1 To Sheets.Count If Left(Sheets(i).Name, 5) = "Sheet" Then Sheets(i).Name = Mid(Sheets(i).Name, 6 _ , Len(Sheets(i).Name) - 5) End If Nex...

Display Cell
How can I display text, for example 1.98 x 106 x T-0.63 (1.98 x 10 to the power 6 x T to the power -0.63)? Hi select these characters in the formular bar and goto 'Format - Cells - Font' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Excelhelp" <Excelhelp@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:3B96F0D2-F8DA-4901-873F-3391273E3FE1@microsoft.com... > How can I display text, for example 1.98 x 106 x T-0.63 (1.98 x 10 to the > power 6 x T to the power -0.63)? ...

Bad certificate on MS Windows Update sites
I pulled up the following MS site via IE 8 - Version 8.0.6001.18702 - Build 86001. https://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com https://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com I received the error message: There is a problem with this website's security certificate The problem is I had just 'updated' my Microsoft Trust Certificate via the process. 1. In Control Panel, open Add or Remove Programs 2. Click Add/Remove Windows Components. 3. Select the Update Root Certificates check box. 4. Click Next, and then click Finish. So I have the following questions. [1] Is there...

Field can not be updated....Why?
Dear All, Why does access send me below error message "! Field can not be updated " I type some value to my field but the error message appear,I have to click OK 4 times and then the value I type is typed.And this condition occur for the first typing only then others work normally.?Any guidance? I think this error occur cause I input the data into a child table,but although the relationship is deleted, the problem still exist.Why? I use access 2000 and my form type is continuous form. I plan it to become subform.Please help.Any assist would be greatly appreciated.Thank's...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

Copy picture ossice wizard

Blank cells in graph
I have a a line graph that displays customer behaviour in a number of categories. The data source for the graph is a table that refreshes every time a different 'customer' is selected from a macro drop-down list above the table, drawing data from another table. All the blank cells from the table are plotted as zero on the line graph, and I can't seem to change it so that the blank cells are not plotted on the line graph at all. I've tried going to Tools>Options>Chart, but the 'Plot empty cells as' options are all greyed out except for the 'Zero' opt...

subtotal copy and paste

formula for cell
I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell. I have used a formula thanks to Gary =left(a1,len(a1)/2 which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in my description column..Please Help =left(a1,30) Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com wrote: > > I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula > where I can take for instance a cell with 500...

Copying graphs