controling a .xls from another .xls

does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from
another. i.e lets say there are two files:

a.xls

&

b.xls

in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this
number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so
how???

thanks guys

--
on-a-mission
on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630

In cell A1 of b.xls, put this formula

=[a.xls]Sheet1!$A$1

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"on-a-mission" wrote:

> does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from
> another. i.e lets say there are two files:
>
> a.xls
>
> &
>
> b.xls
>

> in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this
> number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so
> how???
>
> thanks guys
>

> --
> on-a-mission
> on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234

0
CLR (807)
2/16/2006 4:49:24 PM
brilliant, thanks, works a treat....:)

--
on-a-mission
on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234

bound control or inbound control
Hi Katherine, There are differences between using bound versus unbound controls. Where on the form do you want to use an unbound control? Jeanette Cunningham "Katherine" <Katherine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:23BBC192-0A74-4B9F-9513-5E5923A76658@microsoft.com... > ...

why won't word 2007 release control of a .rtf file after exiting w
I AM HAVING TROUBLE WITH ACCESS TO RICH TEXT FILES BY PROGRAMS OTHER THAN WORD------ AFTER THE FILE OPEN IN WORD IS CLOSED AND EVEN AFTER WORD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN (EXITED) ---------- I GET THE ERROR MESSAGE THAT THE FILE IS "IN USE" BY WORD WHEN (FOR EXAMPLE) AN ATTEMPT IS MADE TO DELETE IT ---- SOMETIMES WHEN RE-OPENING THE FILE AFTER RE-STARTING WORD THE FILE CANNOT BE SAVED BECAUSE IT IS IN "READ ONLY" MODE ------- AFTER MUCH FIDDLING AROUND I FINALLY MANAGED TO DELETE THE PROBLEM FILE ONLY TO HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM RETURN WITH A DIFFERNT FILE ----- WORD 200...

Move mailbox to another site
Hi, We have an Exchange 5.5 with SP4 in 4 sites. There is directory replication between the sites which is done by Internet Mail Service. What is the best way to move a mailbox from one site to another? Thanks in advance, Haim There is only one way - by means of .pst file. Haim Beyhan wrote: > Hi, > > We have an Exchange 5.5 with SP4 in 4 sites. There is directory replication > between the sites which is done by Internet Mail Service. > What is the best way to move a mailbox from one site to another? > > Thanks in advance, > > Haim All the users have offli...

RE: Control
Can some one point me right direction to achive this following. Need to dispaly a data in a table format. some of the column data may have to display a image/icon based on a value from the table (1 :- Red color icon, 2:-yellow color icon...) Once the data is loaded and displayed on the format , able to search particular row by column index and update the values including the images(change different image). I tried with Listview control, with the report view I am not able to search row and update the columns with the List vew I am not able to show the image/icon. do not want to use ...

MSCRM login and the Users Control Panel
Is anyone aware of any way that the settings stored under Control Panel - Users - Password Management might interfere with the process of Single Sign On into MSCRM? It seemed to have somehow cached someones login and prevented logging in as the logged in user, until cached credentials had been "deleted". However I have never seen this mentioned as being relevant. I am not too sure what the architecture model is there, but it appears to be a single domain. If this area has any relevance, it would be useful to know....thanks ...

How to Route Outbound E-mail from the Exchange Server 5.5 to another server.
Hi. I'm implementing an e-mail filter software and I need to configure my Exchange Server to route outbound e-mail to the e-mail filter server. I went to the connection tap and changed the message delivery to : Forward all message to host : "My e-mail filter server ". I need to know if what I've done is correct ? Thank you for your help. Yes, that's where you make the change. Don't forget to restart the IMS in order to affect the change. -- hth, SusanV "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote in message news:uPVHjhl9DHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Spam control - MS Outlook
Hi! I am using MS Outlook 2000 and use 2 profiles. I recently installed a firewall package (Fsecure = Telia S�ker Surf), including Spam control. After install, MSO hangs and I cannot change to the other profile (if I not removed MSO by ctrl/alt/del) Somebody want to comment this? /Sven-Erik Intergrated AV/Spam is the cause of frequent issues in Outlook Is the FSecure you installed compatible with this old version of Outlook? "Storfille" <storfille@ebrev.net> wrote in message news:b1Ixm.11987$U5.164765@newsb.telia.net... > Hi! > > I am using MS Outlook 200...

Releasing memory after creating OCX control
Hi, I try to create an instance of an activex control in my MFC dialog based app. Though my application works with out any error, if i check the memory after calling "delete pMyControl" it keeps on occupying the same memory it occupied when the control was alive. Could anyone help me where I am missing to clear the memory? Thank you. My Code here ---------------m_pxWmp= new CWMPPlayer4();if( m_pxWmp->Create("replay", WS_CHILD | WS_BORDER | WS_VISIBLE , CRect(100, 100,320,240), this, 2)){ m_replay = true; m_pxWmp->SetUrl("C:\\video.avi"); m_pxWmp->Set...

Personal.xls #11
Hi, I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to locate my personal.xls file. I have looked in the following places but cannot find it: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\XLSTART and for hidden files under the window menu. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It may not exist yet. There is no "default" file. You must create a spreadsheet and save it as personal.xls in the correct sub-directory. -- Gary''s Student "Guy Incognito" wrote: > Hi, > > I am using Excel 2003 and I am trying to locate my personal.xls file. > > I have loo...

Adding a control variable
Hello all, Under VC++ 7.1, I've added a checkbox to a dialog. Using the dialog editor, I am not trying to add a control variable for this check box. However, when I right-click on the check box and select "Add Variable", the resulting wizard dialog does not allow me to select "Control Variable" (it is grayed out). What do I need to do to get a control variable for this check box added to my class? Thanks, Dave I've never seen that before - are you able to duplicate this problem with other projects too? -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Dave" <bett...

Creating dialog controls at run-time
I've been researching how to do this, but whenever I try what other people do, I get very bad results. But my challenge doesn't end there. The number of controls I want to create is only known at run-time. The problems I face are manifold: 1. The code most people use fails badly. Not only is the font unconventionally big, but when I click the checkbox I create, the whole dialog disappears. If that's not enough, the pointer to the control is NULL when the dialog's destructor is called, so I can't delete the instance, and get a memory leak message when the program ends: CADi...

Calculating a field based on what is in another column
Hi everyone, I have a 3 column spreadsheet. Amount Frequency Weekly$ (Calculated) 1200 F 600 i.e. divides it by 2 if F 100 W 5200 i.e. times it by weeks in year 5200 Y 100 ie divides it by weeks in year As you can see, I want the Weekly$ amt to be calculated based on whether the Frequency is W (Weekly), F (Fortnightly) or Y (Yearly). any ideas as to what to do ? cheers, Adam Assuming your data is in columns A and B, one way: =A1*INDEX({0.5,100,0.01},1,MATCH(B1,{...

what control can display characters from txt files in a dialog?
I want to read lines from txt files and display them on a dialog.I wonder which control can be put into the dialog to hold the characters from txt? Something like :- while(m_file.ReadString(tmpstr)) { str += tmpstr; } m_edit.SetWindowText(str); -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "liao_xf" <sclxf@sina.com> wrote in message news:001401c3652f$177b9830$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Thanks first! > I know that Edit control can receive and edit input. > and I know the filestdio can read lines from txt. > but can you tell me how to attatch the lines to the edit? > Thanks!...

stock control system
trying to see up a 'basic stock control sytem' for a warehouse that contains building materials. -- Thank you. You can use multiple ways of doing, there's 3 ways to come to m head... 1) Use a worksheet as database an save all the information on the cell of that worksheet using some macros to access it and handle. 2) You might want to use Access instead of Excel, I think would b easier to handle the database portion and you still have the Macro available. 3) You can use VB with an Access to create an application -- fanay ------------------------------------------------------...

MDI support in ATL composite control
Hi, I have components created in ATL. The components are ATL composite controls. Entire work has been done till now using ATL, however I now need to give MDI type of work area (based o doc-view architecture) within the control. I have class derived from CMDIFrameWnd. However when I try to initialize instance of this class by calling "Create" method of CFrameWnd (base class in CMDIFrameWnd), I get error and creation fails. Tracing the code, I found that base class create method calls "AfxGetInstanceHandle" to get handle to the DLL. Now since this is ATL Composite control, ...

Another Customer Report question
I'm using RMS 2.0. Is there any way to pull a customer report that shows their shipping address? All I can find is a report that shows billing address. I'm just trying to get some basic marketing done and what to find out which customers are purchasing which products, and to what address I can send them information on new products. Why is this so difficult for me to do? With all the information being captured in RMS, you'd think simple reports such as these would be available. I looked through all my custom reports and partner source and unfortunately didn't find a...

View Filtering and Access Controls for Business Units
I am trying to implement MS-CRM for my company. We have multiple Business Units . I need to give views to each Business Units so that they see only their own Contacts/Accounts/Opp lists. How do I accomplish this ? Also, If I gave inter business unit acesses , how do I make sure that the one business unit users can not modify any fields on other's Business Unit's records ? Thanks in advance for any help, Kishore This is quite easy to do with CRM. Assuming you have already created your Business Units in CRM, you can view a security role within one of the Business Units and a...

Personal.xls #4
Windows 2000 Xcel xp Monday morning .... and some how over the weekend the macros connected to the toolbar disappeared. Personal.xls is still in XLStart. Excel10.xlb is still in place. Trying several things including: using the backed up Excel10.xlb and the backed up Personal.xls. Problems: Personal.xls will not open automatically when excel is openned.. However, if I rename it test.xls or anything else it will open. Toolbar icons are there but nothing when he press the icon to get the drop down. Trying to think what other information you may need... let me know help would be ...

another ques...color /font
hi... I am using with statement wrt to worksheets. I am putting a value of blank cell for some cases....b4 doing that i want to fill the cell with yellow and do certain other formatting..... how do i use this in a case as below... i tried .font...and it didn't work... With Worksheets(rawDataWorksheetName).Cells(counter2, packColNum) If .Value = "" Then .Value = "Blank Cell" flagPack = True End If End With really thankful in advance Monika Hi Monika try something like With Worksheets(rawDataWorksheetNa...

Tab Control Problems
I previously worked in VC++ 6.0, and have several applications that have either custom shadebox controls, or tab controls or group boxes. In all cases, when I moved the applications over to VS.NET 2003, everything was fine, except in the resource editor, I cannot see any of the controls that have been overlayed on a tab control, or a custom shadebox control and in some cases group boxes. I can tab to them and see the outline, but I cannot see the actual controls. If I drag a new control onto the tab control, I can see the control, but once it is saved, I can no longer access the cont...

Filtering Combo Box based off another
I have two combo boxes and I'm trying to have the 2nd combo box filtered by the first one. Here is how I have them setup Combo Box 1 FeildName TOT Placement Test ATB ESL Placement Combo Box 2 Row 1(ToT1) Row 2(tot2) English and Reading Placement Test English Retest Placement Test Reading Retest Placement Test ATB Test ATB ATB Retest ATB ESL ESL Placement ESL Retest ...

trouble exporting from express and reimporting to another computer
Hi, I want to back up my Outlook Express e-mail on my desktop and move it to Express on my laptop. When I perform the export it saves it as a .dbx file. Yet neither Outlook or Express allow you to import a .dbx file so what is the point of the default export. Also Express does not allow you to choose a format for export. It says it does in the help menu but there is no choice when I select export. It just starts the export without asking me what format I want to export in. Any advice? Thanks. http://insideOE.tomsterdam.com should give you the answers you're looking for on this ...

mouse is user-defined, when mouse move to another dialog, mouse disappeared
We are doing a program running in a game. The game's mouse is user-defined, my program's dialog pop-up in game by Hook. my dialog can show in game normally, and can capture keyboard event. but mouse disappeared when mouse move from game to my dialog, and mouse will show normally when mouse leave my dialog. mouse event respond. although mouse disappeared I can drag my dialog using mouse. I think mouse need re-draw when move to my dialog, but I do know how to do. Please give advice, thank in advance. ...

FindRecord Control Button
i built a find record control button so a user can type in the form number and go there but it only searches the field that the cursor is in and the form # is not on the tab order(purposely). How can i specify where the find record function searches? thanks Ryan, usually people use an unbound combo box or an unbound text box for searching. There is a sample download with code of a search form at http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html If you need help to get it working, post back. You can also use the wizard to put a combo for searching on your form. On the form in design view, click the...

Controls coordinates
Hi everyone, Could somebody give me a simple example of getting a controls coordinates and then using them to put the control back where it was. So basicaly the control hasn't moved. Here's what I'm doing: m_cQuality.GetWindowRect(&qualityRC); ClientToScreen(&qualityRC); // int temp=qualityRC.Height(); // qualityRC.top=unyteRC.bottom-temp; // qualityRC.right=qualityRC.Width(); // qualityRC.left=0; // qualityRC.bottom=qualityRC.top+temp; // m_cQuality.MoveWindow(&qualityRC); m_cQuality.SetWindowPos(this, qualityRC.left, qualityRC.top, qualityRC.Width(), qualityRC.He...