conditonal formatting

How do I get more than 3 conditional formats in a excel
worksheet? I need about 10. I would like to color code
services that a client is requesting so that our staff
can easily look at the the list and call their clients.
Or is there another way to go about this?  I am using
Excel 2002.

Thanks
Gail
0
anonymous (74721)

10 requires using VBA event macro. To apply formats to, say, A1:A10, put
something like this in your worksheet code module (right-click on the
worksheet tab and choose View Code):

        With Target
            If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
            If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then
                Select Case LCase(Target.Text)
                    Case "service 1"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
                     Case "service 2"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 4
                    Case "service 3"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 5
                    Case "service 4"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                    Case "service 5"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 7
                    Case "service 6"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 8
                     Case "service 7"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 9
                    Case "service 8"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 10
                    Case "service 9"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 11
                    Case "service 10"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 12
                    Case Else
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = xlColorIndexNone
                End Select
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

Substitute your Ranges, Services, and colors

In article <27ab201c463ac$daca9210$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How do I get more than 3 conditional formats in a excel
> worksheet? I need about 10. I would like to color code
> services that a client is requesting so that our staff
> can easily look at the the list and call their clients.
> Or is there another way to go about this?  I am using
> Excel 2002.
>
> Thanks
> Gail
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/6/2004 11:49:41 PM
Thank you for your help it is working great, but know how
do I pick my own colors, and how do I make the font in
certain cells white since some of the colors are two dark
to read black text.

VBA is a new function for me and would like to know more,
have any suggestons on good website that will explain
more vba functions?   I am likely the versitily of this.

Thanks again
Gail

>10 requires using VBA event macro. To apply formats to,
say, A1:A10, put
>something like this in your worksheet code module (right-
click on the
>worksheet tab and choose View Code):
>
>    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As
Excel.Range)
>        With Target
>            If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>            If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("A1:A10")) Is
Nothing Then
>                Select Case LCase(Target.Text)
>                    Case "service 1"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
>                     Case "service 2"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 4
>                    Case "service 3"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 5
>                    Case "service 4"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
>                    Case "service 5"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 7
>                    Case "service 6"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 8
>                     Case "service 7"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 9
>                    Case "service 8"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 10
>                    Case "service 9"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 11
>                    Case "service 10"
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 12
>                    Case Else
>                        .Interior.ColorIndex =
xlColorIndexNone
>                End Select
>            End If
>        End With
>    End Sub
>

>Substitute your Ranges, Services, and colors
>
>In article <27ab201c463ac$daca9210$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
> "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I get more than 3 conditional formats in a
excel
>> worksheet? I need about 10. I would like to color code
>> services that a client is requesting so that our staff
>> can easily look at the the list and call their
clients.
>> Or is there another way to go about this?  I am using
>> Excel 2002.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gail
>.

0
anonymous (74721)
7/7/2004 6:01:39 PM
There are three good techniques for learning Visual Basic
programming: 1) buy a good reference book, 2) let the
system write a macro for you, and 3) make use of the VB
Help facility.
1)  I use a book called "Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Power
Programming with VBA" (over 1000 pages thick) by John
Walkenbach (see if you can get a good price on EBay or
Amazon.com)
2)  While in Excel, click TOOLS->MACRO->Record New Macro,
then start entering what you want to do manually through
the keyboard.  When finished, go to TOOLS->MACRO->Stop
Recording.   Then go into the macro editor and look for
Macro1 (or whatever name is assigned), and study what you
see there.  There will be more code than you want or need
usually, but you can learn some good programming statements
that way.
3)  While in the macro editor, put your cursor on some part
of a statement that you need info on, then press F1 to get
help on that item.
Remember you learn by doing.

0
anonymous (74721)
7/7/2004 7:34:28 PM
A good place to start is David McRitchie's site for getting started with VBA.

Note the links to other sites for tutorials at the bottom of the page.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:01:39 -0700, "Gail"

>Thank you for your help it is working great, but know how
>do I pick my own colors, and how do I make the font in
>certain cells white since some of the colors are two dark
>to read black text.
>
>VBA is a new function for me and would like to know more,
>have any suggestons on good website that will explain
>more vba functions?   I am likely the versitily of this.
>
>Thanks again
>Gail

0
Gord
7/7/2004 11:26:25 PM
In article <2878001c4644c$73de7f30$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your help it is working great, but know how
> do I pick my own colors, and how do I make the font in
> certain cells white since some of the colors are two dark
> to read black text.

In the Visual Basic Editor, check Help on ColorIndex - there's a palette
that shows what each (default) colorindex number is.

You can change font colors by using

    .Font.ColorIndex

instead of (or in addition to)

    .Interior.Colorindex

> VBA is a new function for me and would like to know more,
> have any suggestons on good website that will explain
> more vba functions?   I am likely the versitily of this.

Take a look at David McRitchie's "Getting Started with Macros and User
Defined Functions":

jemcgimpsey (6723)
7/8/2004 6:18:00 AM
I used this VB and it was working like a charm and then
one day it just stopped working.  The only thing I can
think of is that I deleted several rows but it was within
the specific range I had in the VB code and now my VB
will not work.  Any suggestions to what is going wrong?
Here is the code that I am using

        With Target
            If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
            If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("A1:A600")) Is
Nothing Then
                Select Case LCase(Target.Text)
                    Case "pick from list"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
                     Case "speech assessment"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 43
                    Case "speech therapy"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 35
                    Case "auditory processing assessment"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 41
                        .Font.ColorIndex = 2
                    Case "auditory processing therapy"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 37
                    Case "dyslexia assessment (child)"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 45
                    Case "dyslexia therapy (child)"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 40
                    Case "dyslexia assessment (adult 18
+ )"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 54
                        .Font.ColorIndex = 2
                    Case "dyslexia therapy (adult 18 + )"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 39
                    Case "accomodations"
                        .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
                    Case Else
                        .Interior.ColorIndex =
xlColorIndexNone
                End Select
            End If
        End With
    End Sub

xlColorIndexNone
>                End Select
>            End If
>        End With
>    End Sub
>

>Substitute your Ranges, Services, and colors
>
>In article <27ab201c463ac$daca9210$a401280a@phx.gbl>,
> "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> How do I get more than 3 conditional formats in a
excel
>> worksheet? I need about 10. I would like to color code
>> services that a client is requesting so that our staff
>> can easily look at the the list and call their
clients.
>> Or is there another way to go about this?  I am using
>> Excel 2002.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Gail
>.

0
anonymous (74721)
7/15/2004 1:25:12 AM
Put a breakpoint on the "If .Count  > 1 ..." line, switch back to XL,
and make an entry in A1. Does the event fire? If so, step through the
code and see what it's doing right or wrong...

In article <2c7ca01c46a0a$931f3650$a601280a@phx.gbl>,
 "Gail" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I used this VB and it was working like a charm and then
> one day it just stopped working.  The only thing I can
> think of is that I deleted several rows but it was within
> the specific range I had in the VB code and now my VB
> will not work.  Any suggestions to what is going wrong?
> Here is the code that I am using
>
> Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
>         With Target
>             If .Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>             If Not Intersect(.Cells, Range("A1:A600")) Is
> Nothing Then
>                 Select Case LCase(Target.Text)
>                     Case "pick from list"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 3
>                      Case "speech assessment"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 43
>                     Case "speech therapy"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 35
>                     Case "auditory processing assessment"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 41
>                         .Font.ColorIndex = 2
>                     Case "auditory processing therapy"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 37
>                     Case "dyslexia assessment (child)"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 45
>                     Case "dyslexia therapy (child)"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 40
>                     Case "dyslexia assessment (adult 18
> + )"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 54
>                         .Font.ColorIndex = 2
>                     Case "dyslexia therapy (adult 18 + )"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 39
>                     Case "accomodations"
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex = 6
>                     Case Else
>                         .Interior.ColorIndex =
> xlColorIndexNone
>                 End Select
>             End If
>         End With
>     End Sub
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

cell format #16
I set up cell format as text before I type any data. I have a samples with ID 9920-2, 9920-10, 9920-15, 9920-18,... However if I push "Enter" after typing ID, Excel change 9920-2 and 9920-10 to Feb-20 and Oct-20 without even ask do I wnat to change format. ID after 9920-15 remain the same. Can anyone tell me how to make Excel stop changing my format, and just keep the format I have set up. Enter with leading apostrophe which won't show. Bob Umlas Excel MVP "Terry" <Terry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56720157-F348-46F6-91E7-684C8691CC13@m...

How to format cell with text and date.
We are trying to set up a custom format for a column of cells that contain a letter, a hyphen, and a date. The letter is variable; it can change from one row to another (e.g., L-09/28/05, A-09/29/05, etc.). Is it possible to create a custom format for something like this? Thanks for your help and advice. Hi Darlene, Since your prefix can change from one row to another, I think you will need to use a TEXT Worksheet Function instead of a custom cell format. F2: =LEFT(E2,1) & "-" & Text(A2,"mm/dd/yy) If you have a choice I would really suggest a more readab...

how to format :send picture with message: as a default
each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express for my mail. LYNNY <LYNNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send > picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there > permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express > for my mail. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Custom format a text cell with square brackets: [ ] ?
Is it possible to format a text cell so that the user can just type in a text reference from a catalogue - i.e., letters of the alphabet - but that Excel then puts in square brackets? i.e., rather than typing in [A1], the user types in A1 and Excel shows the cell contents as [A1}. Thanks. Select the cells in which you want the brackets Choose Format>Cells On the Number tab, choose Custom In the text box, type: "["@"]" Click OK StargateFan wrote: > Is it possible to format a text cell so that the user can just type in > a text reference from a catalogue - i...

Format error
I am trying to open a copy of my database that has been saved onto CD using Nero Backup program. On opening I get an error message saying the file is in an unknown format although it looks fine, this doesn't happen with other file types. Any suggestions? Roger, Not sure this is your problem, but you might want to give it a shot: Upon opening a file, Access creates a temporary lock file (filename.ldb) in the same directory where the file is opened from; in the case of a CD, the system is obviously unable to write to the medium. If indeed, this is all there is to it, and the error mess...

Format date with specific regional format
I am working in a international group where users have different regional settings: UK, Denmark, Turkey. I want dates to always show in UK format, even when regional setting is another country. I need this to work in: 1) ordinary cell format 2) using TEXT() function to construct text expressions using dates. In Excel 2003, I remember it was possible to insert a regional code number in brackets into a custom cell format. Is this possible in Excel 2007? Would this work in the TEXT() function? In the format code, try prefixing the UK code [$-809] to the date format. See: http:...

Publisher File formats
I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I save the file I still get the pub extension after the .tif' Can I not save in anything but pub? Thanks Ray, It would help us to answer your question if you told us which version of Publisher you are using. -- JoAnn Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. --Emile-August Chartier "Ray" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006101c3dc62$7649ce40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I need to send file in a tif or jpeg format but when I > save the f...

filtering for certain formatted data
How can use the advanced filter to filter information with a certain format? You'd have to write your own procedure to do this kind of thing. Ron de Bruin has some filtering based on format in his easyfilter addin: http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm geezaflip wrote: > > How can use the advanced filter to filter information with a certain format? -- Dave Peterson ...

excel formats
Is there any way to save an excel 2007 spreadsheet with the corresponding pivot tables and have the pivot tables work that they should for an excel 2003 user? Basically how can you save a excel 2003 pivot table in a format in a a 2007 excel pivot table user? How do you save a excel 2007 pivot table in a 2003 excel pivot table ...

Formats for video
What are the formats most commonly used for posting video to a personal website? I want to post some holiday video, but would like to maximise the chance that users will be able to view the video without having to download additional software, and without taking too much time or bandwidth. Can you help? thanks, Heidi Heidi <Heidi@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > What are the formats most commonly used for posting video to a > personal website? I want to post some holiday video, but would like > to maximise the chance that users will be able to ...

change view format of selected cell
Is there any way to change the way the cell is viewed when selected? Right now it makes a big black box around it, and it clashes with the lines I already have in the spreadsheet. And can this fomatting be saved into the document so others will see it as so? thank you!! keith -- hopeace ------------------------------------------------------------------------ hopeace's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28009 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=476056 maybe.... you may want to try Chip Pearson's Rowliner: htt...

merge: data losing formatting
I am merging from an Excel spreadsheet. Two of the three fields that contain numbers formatted as currency are losing their formatting in the merge. All three are formatted the same in the data source. Please help! While in a state of ecstasy after repairing his laptop, Ed sees a message from cheekymama <cheekymama@discussions.microsoft.com>. On it is written: > I am merging from an Excel spreadsheet. Two of the three fields that > contain numbers formatted as currency are losing their formatting in > the merge. All three are formatted the same in the data source. Try export...

How do you link formatting between worksheets

Formatting the result of a VLookup / Custom Formatting
Hi, I am having difficulty formatting a cell which contains both text and a VLOOKUP formulae. I have an example of the cell below: ="Here lies the text before Vlookup " &VLOOKUP($M$20,sheet1!$B$10:$L$1445,8,FALSE)&" Here lies follow-up text" The VLookup should return a date but instead is returning a string of numbers. I'm sure there is a way of setting the format within the formulae using dd/mm/yy somewhere. Could anyone tell me how to do this? .......&TEXT(VLOOKUP($M$20,sheet1!$B$10:$L$1445,8,FALSE),"dd/mm/yy")&....... -- Kind regard...

HELP! Need to save in Excel 2.1 format
Hi I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format files. How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? I'd really appreciate any input, even link to some external convert program. Thanks Hi, Why you don't try to save it as excel 5.0 It should work when saving as scroll almost to the bottom there you will find excel 5.0 "Poppe" wrote: > Hi > > I have excel 2007, and the datasystem here only accepts excel 2.1 format > files. > > How can i convert or save in excel 2.1 format? > > I'd really appreciate any input,...

More than 3 on Conditional Formatting
Can it be done? I don't want to have to write a routine in VBA to scan all the cells just to change the colour..... i.e. 1 is red 2 is a lighted red, 3 is amber 4 is a ligther amber, and 5 green and 6 a lighter green... I need some help here guys... Anyone point me in the right directions... Regards. modify one of these. The first one belongs in the SHEET code module. right click on the sheet tab>view code>insert this>save Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 1 Then Exit Sub With Target.Interior Select Case UCase(Target) Case "...

Best format for formatting financial ratios
I need to create financial ratio's for a university assignment but also analyse them as i go along so i'm assuming word would be the best part of the office suite to use. However, i'm not sure how i should format them to make them look proffesional showing the workings too. Thanks in advance Jake When you've decided how you want your ratios and formulas to look, we can help you make them look that way, but we can't deal with the content of your work. On Jan 19, 8:43=A0am, jtrobinson <jtrobin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need to crea...

Format
Excel 2003 Dear all I have a spreadsheet listing some items with dates and these Items need to be updated every 5 years, but I need to know when they are due 60 days beforehand. I was given the following format, but this seems to take off 60 days (off the present date). The Date in say B4 shows the day the item was "issued" in C4 it should tell me 60 days before it is due to be renewed. i.e. 5ive years minus 60 days. The formula I was given looks like this: =IF(B4-TODAY()-60,"renewal due","") B4 being the issue date TODAY = present date etc AS I have n...

formatting the TOC
Hi, I have a heading which is spread into almost two lines. But when i generate the TOC, it displays the heading in a single line. Please suggest me a solution. Thanking in anticipation. Are you saying that you want your TOC to use the same font as size as your text? sanjay wrote: >Hi, > >I have a heading which is spread into almost two lines. But when i generate >the TOC, it displays the heading in a single line. > >Please suggest me a solution. > >Thanking in anticipation. -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/...

Conditional Formating Based on Date #2
Hi, I need some help on conditional formating. What I want to do is change the color of a cell based on the date, i.e. if the date in the cell is today or greater I want the cell color to change to red, if the date is 3 days before the date in the cell I want it to change color to yellow. condition 1 formula is =a3>=today() cond 2 etc -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Roy" <Roy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:08188B4D-4A0D-4121-834E-AAF96FB033EC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I need some help on conditional formating. What I wa...

Custom Number format #2
Hello, NG What custom number format to use so that 1.5 will display as 1.5 1 will display as 1 not 1.0 or 1. Any help will be highly appreciated TIA jon-jon One way: General;-General;0;@ In article <uri1#$nAEHA.2036@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "JON JON" <conrado_capistranoREMOVE@msn.com> wrote: > Hello, NG > > What custom number format to use so that > > 1.5 will display as 1.5 > 1 will display as 1 not 1.0 or 1. > > Any help will be highly appreciated > > TIA > > jon-jon > > Based on your examp...

Excel date formatting
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have formatted the cells to yield a date in the form 14-Mar. If I input 3/4 or 3-4 the cell yields 4-Mar. It will not allow me to enter the data in the same format I want it the data output. If I enter 30/11 I expect to get 30-Nov, but I do not. It seems logical to me that I should be able to input the date in the same format as I want it output. Can this be done? It's a matter of your System Preferences settings - Excel takes its cue from that. Change your International preference for Formats & Excel wi...

sort/format this spreadsheet
hi, following the failure of my last post....hoping somebody here can help me with this. i have a spreadsheet that looks something like this (except with about 10 000 rows) DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1A DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1B DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1C DOT1 AGENT1 NAME1D CLPM AGENT2 NAME2A CLPM AGENT2 NAME2B U788 AGENT3 NAME3A ...

Time format
Hi I would be grateful for help with time format in excel 2003. I want to show the time without seconds showing. At the moment the only choices I have are: *13:30 13:30:55 13:30:55 01:30:55PM 01:30:55PM I have changed the settings in control panel Ron, Assuming these are properly formatted times simply apply a Custom format of hh:mm to the cell(s) Note that formats only change what you see on the sheet, the underlying value remains the same. To apply the format, select the cell(s) and right click and select 'format cells' select 'custom' and rn...

Output data to file in Fortran 6F10.3 format
I'm a new to writing Excel macros and have hit a bit of a wall. I'm using Excel to pre-process data for an old Fortran Application. I requires a .dat file containing a preamble and then data in a 6F10. format. The Excel data I want to write to the file is formatted as Number wit 3 decimals (+ or -). I have a macro that creates the file and preamble I can read all the data, but I'm having trouble getting the 6 column of F10.3 to format properly. The blank spaces are 'space' (Chr32). Th negative sign is left of the most significant figure, not to the lef of the field. A...