Conditional formatting for rows?

I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be able to 
highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value, using 
conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is it 
possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the value of 
one cell?
Thanks

0
FTM (6)
11/8/2006 12:17:01 PM
excel.newusers 15348 articles. 2 followers. Follow

4 Replies
504 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 56

select the row and anchor the test cell in a formula such

=$A1=20

-- 
 HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)

"FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:35685BA2-2FF5-4054-B9F0-21FBBC248A2C@microsoft.com...
> I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be able
to
> highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value,
using
> conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is it
> possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the value
of
> one cell?
> Thanks
>


0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
11/8/2006 1:19:36 PM
Hi Bob,
Thanks for responding unfortuantly I don't understand what you mean, can you 
explain further?
Many thanks

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> select the row and anchor the test cell in a formula such
> 
> =$A1=20
> 
> -- 
>  HTH
> 
> Bob Phillips
> 
> (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> 
> "FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:35685BA2-2FF5-4054-B9F0-21FBBC248A2C@microsoft.com...
> > I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be able
> to
> > highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value,
> using
> > conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is it
> > possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the value
> of
> > one cell?
> > Thanks
> >
> 
> 
> 
0
FTM (6)
11/8/2006 2:34:02 PM
Select say row 1
Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
Add a formula of =$A1=20
Click the Format button
Select the Pattern Tab
Select an appropriate highlighting colour
OK
OK


-- 
 HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)

"FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:30424466-C631-4948-9CC5-0AA40F573C50@microsoft.com...
> Hi Bob,
> Thanks for responding unfortuantly I don't understand what you mean, can
you
> explain further?
> Many thanks
>
> "Bob Phillips" wrote:
>
> > select the row and anchor the test cell in a formula such
> >
> > =$A1=20
> >
> > -- 
> >  HTH
> >
> > Bob Phillips
> >
> > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> >
> > "FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news:35685BA2-2FF5-4054-B9F0-21FBBC248A2C@microsoft.com...
> > > I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be
able
> > to
> > > highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value,
> > using
> > > conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is
it
> > > possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the
value
> > of
> > > one cell?
> > > Thanks
> > >
> >
> >
> >


0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
11/8/2006 3:02:39 PM
Hi Bob,
THANK YOU! You have no idea how long I have spent trying to to do this. This 
really is fantastic.
Thanks again
F

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

> 
> Select say row 1
> Menu Format>Conditional Formatting
> Change Condition 1 to Formula Is
> Add a formula of =$A1=20
> Click the Format button
> Select the Pattern Tab
> Select an appropriate highlighting colour
> OK
> OK
> 
> 
> -- 
>  HTH
> 
> Bob Phillips
> 
> (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> 
> "FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:30424466-C631-4948-9CC5-0AA40F573C50@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Bob,
> > Thanks for responding unfortuantly I don't understand what you mean, can
> you
> > explain further?
> > Many thanks
> >
> > "Bob Phillips" wrote:
> >
> > > select the row and anchor the test cell in a formula such
> > >
> > > =$A1=20
> > >
> > > -- 
> > >  HTH
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips
> > >
> > > (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> > >
> > > "FTM" <FTM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > news:35685BA2-2FF5-4054-B9F0-21FBBC248A2C@microsoft.com...
> > > > I find conditional formatting very useful however I would like to be
> able
> > > to
> > > > highlight an entire row/range of cells if one cell has a given value,
> > > using
> > > > conditional formatting I am only able to highlight the single cell. Is
> it
> > > > possible to have a range/row of cells formatted in response to the
> value
> > > of
> > > > one cell?
> > > > Thanks
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> 
> 
> 
0
FTM (6)
11/8/2006 4:07:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Today Conditional Format
I have a column which calculated a date based on 3 working days from a date input into a diff column. What I want to do I have the calculated date appear bold if that date has passed based on the current date. For example if I input 01/08/11 the next column calculates 04/08/11 (3 working days). I want the caluclated date to appear bold when I open the spreadsheet on the 05/08/11 ro show the calculated date has passed. I can use conditional formatting but can't get the syntax right Regards Andy Win XP Pro Office 2010 Andy Roberts presented the following explanation : > I ha...

Two Condition Vlookup?
I am currently trying to create a function that searches through an array for two exact column values which allows me to retrieve a third column value. For example: Type of Fruit Date Packaged Amount of Fruit Apples June 100 Oranges June 50 Apples July 75 Grapes July 50 In this example, I would be looking to retrieve the Amount of Fruit (Apples) that was packaged in July. I would be putt...

Can't format numbers for France in Excel 2003
I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros to display as 2 050,45). That currency format isn't offered in my dialog box, and if I make a custom number format that will display correctly, it doesn't operate as a number. Any suggestions? On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:51:03 -0700, Mary Fran <MaryFran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm using the US version of Excel 2003, but need to format costs, etc., for a >project in the French euro format (e.g., I need 2050.45 euros...

Query condition by date range
I'm trying to create a query to base a report from. I need it to return records within a date range that needs to be specified, as in specifying the beginning date and having the current date as the end date. A field is included in the query that has listed dates in the format mm/dd/yyyy. How would I write the criteria? I have part of it ready - [Please enter starting date:] . I know that's how you get the little question window. On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 14:51:00 -0800, silva wrote: > I'm trying to create a query to base a report from. I need it to return > records within a...

Need help with conditional formula (Excel 97)
Can anyone give me the correct syntax for the following formula: if A1 is blank, and B1 is more than zero, then display B1, otherwise display nothing (blank cell) Thank you JD =IF(AND(A1="",B1>0),B1,"") Success! -- met vriendelijke groetjes "Jake D" <JakeD@djhtend.com> schreef in bericht news:crkto4lv30u7uujv27ek8okr0us5t9oj10@4ax.com... > Can anyone give me the correct syntax for the following formula: > > if A1 is blank, and B1 is more than zero, then display B1, otherwise > display nothing (blank cell) > > Thank you > > ...

Format cells #7
I have Excel 2000, Win ME. Recently the pulldown command to format cells does not always respond - ie, no box appears, so I can't apply borders or control number format. The shortcut approach doesn't work either. I've tried Help..Detect and Repair but the fault remains. Any suggestions welcome. ...

Conditional formatting if condition of an if statement is true and a string value is displayed
Dear Experts: I got a nested 'IF'-Formula in an excel cell that returns nothing if the condition is false. I would like to conditionally format this cell with grey shading if the condition is true and a string value is displayed. How can this be achieved using excel conditional formating functionality ? Help is much appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. Regards, Andreas Let's say your doing this conditional formatting in cell K17. In conditional formatting (xl2003) choose the FormulaIs: option and enter: =$K$17<>"" choose your formatt...

Formatting worksheet
I have a workbook with three worksheets and one chartsheet in it. I have notes documenting various aspects of the four sheets. Some of those notes are on electronic post-it notes and others on scraps of paper. It seems to me that a convenient way to consolidate all of my documentation for the workbook would be to add another worksheet to it and put the information in it. What would be the best way to format the worksheet so that I could type information into it as if I were using a text editor? Leslie, Excel isn't really all that set up for text. I sometimes make narrow column...

More than 65 thousand rows
I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limi of excel, is there any way of displaying the rest of the data? Rober ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com robert, 65536 rows is the maximum limit for an Excel worksheet. You can split your data into different sheets or use a database like Access. John robert_woodie wrote: > I have a 2 coloumn file with way more than the 65 thousand odd row limit > of excel, is there any way of dis...

Conditional Field in Queries
Is there a way to make a field in a query conditional so that it only displays the value if the value is equal to something specifically set? Thanks. Nick Nick.Korynski@gmail.com wrote: > Is there a way to make a field in a query conditional so that it only > displays the value if the value is equal to something specifically > set? Thanks. > > Nick Explain "the value is equal to something specifically set". -- Rick Brandt, Microsoft Access MVP Email (as appropriate) to... RBrandt at Hunter dot com ...

format a column
I have a simple question to ask, I have a column in Excel is number like 142000, I want to format the whole column numbers without the two ending 0s, change 142000 to 1420, how can I do that? Thanks -- xcao ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xcao's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14538 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=471821 Enter 100 in an empty cell and copy it. Then, select your range of numbers you want to change, Right Click and go to Paste Special, and select Div...

compare two files and merge rows base on a matching word within these two rows
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhWkR6bS05Qnluenc&hl=en Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from CO...

zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format
I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another application). When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch back to general. Any solution? work around? Thanks so much for your help in advance!! Melissa Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat the column as text (last dialog) -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5A02627-810E-4234-8247-267D9B12FA29@microsoft.com... >...

How do i use Conditional formatting for 3+ conditions ?
I have a text box in a report which highlights in colour current members in a list of past and present member names. I have six types of current members that I want to highlight, but with conditional formatting I can only use 3 conditions in the members [Type] field. I have tried [Type]="Full member" Or "Life member" but the "Or" doesn't work ! Is there a way to do this ? thanks .. Roger CF is limited to 3 contitions, but you can use OR in those expressions. If you set Condition1 to Expression, you can use: ([Type] = "Full member") Or (...

How to return a 12 hour time format without the AM in an Access query
The format function acts differently in a query and after hours of testing, messing, and cursing, I give up. How do you return 12 hour format without the AM or PM from an Access query. In my table, I've defined the Start Time and End Time to use "Medium Time" format and it works if and ONLY if you simple include the field in the query. However, if you use the field in a more complex statement, it returns leading zeros and trailing seconds. Here's what I've tried.... 'This didn't work because it returns trailing seconds and AM/PM. '2:00:00 PM...

Delete every row if the cells in first 12 columns are empty
Hi, I found some VBA code in this group which I have modified below. I have not been able to get this to work in Excel 2003. Option Explicit Sub DelEmptyRow() Dim ws As Worksheet, rw As Range, c1 As Range Set ws = ActiveSheet ' Cycle through first 2000 rows For Each rw In ws.Range("1:2000").Rows ' first cell in the row Set c1 = rw.Cells(1) ' test if first cell is empty, ' and so do the rest of cells in the row If c1.Formula = "" And c1.End(xlToRight).Column = 12 Then rw.Delete E...

Empty Rows and Columns
Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically empty rows and columns? Try ASAP Utilities, a free Excel Add-in available at www.asap-utilities.com Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "fak119" wrote: > Is there a Macro (or how does one create one) that eliminates automatically > empty rows and columns? ...

Help with Conditional formatting with Dates
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet in which I have to monitor various dates which are in different columns (i.e. (1) Date Tender Released, (2) Date Company Selected, (3) Date Draft Contract Forwarded, (4) Date Contract Signed etc...). Would if be possible to Conditional Format and have diffirent ROWs highlighted for each individual Contracts (I have 300 running contracts running) every time a date is filled in these different columns: Initial Step (1) = Yellow (Call for Tender released) Step (2) = Blue (Company Selected) Step (3) = Brown (Contract under Process) Step (4) = Green (Contract Si...

Conditional null value
Wondering if anyone can suggest a way to simplify the following code, which I’m using in the OnFormat event of a report. If Not IsNull(DLookup("[ICD2]", "EntryICDs", "[EntryNum] = " & Me! [PtAcct#])) Then Me![Field192] = Replace(DLookup("[ICD2]", "EntryICDs", "[EntryNum] = " & Me![PtAcct#]), ".", " ") End If If Not IsNull(DLookup("[ICD3]", "EntryICDs", "[EntryNum] = " & Me! [PtAcct#])) Then Me![Field194] = Replace(DLookup("[ICD...

Help
Forgive me if "Conditional Sums" is not the accurate word for what I am trying to accomplish... I'm at a loss for what to call this situation. What I have is a spreadsheet totaling attendance figures for classes taught by two people (Dave and Cary). Column A lists their name, and next to it in Column B is the number of people who attended that class. What I need is a formula that will look at the sheet and report in a given cell the total for attendance for each person. I can work basic formulas like SUM, but that will give the total for the entire column, when what I n...

Formatting Imported Data
Hi, I want to be able to read in a single column of data from either an Excel file or from a column of a word document and then produce the same column of data so that each entry has two cells separating them. So that the column 1 2 3 would look like 1 empty cell empty cell 2 empty cell empty cell 3 I there a straightforward way I can do this in Excel w/o having to use some type of additional program (like VBA)? TIA, Matt Nothing straightforward that I can see. Without some manual arranging which would be onerous, you will be better off to use a VBA macro. Sub InsertRows22() Appli...

Macro deleting rows including some valu/ewpression
Hey guys In some of the cells in column A - Range("A2:A") - there are expressions including the frace/part: "\old\". I want to remove all rows including this frace and keep the remaining ones. The nearest I can get is something like this, but (of cause) my attempt was not very successful. (Yeah - I know I stole/borrowed it from someone else and tryed to ajust it ...forgive me) Sub Delete_OLD_rows() Dim cell As Range Dim delRange As Range For Each cell In Range("A2:B" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End (xl...

XML Receipt and Conditions
I wanted to make a small adjustment to the receipt when a certain condition is met. If a particular word (eg. family) is typed into the comment on an item I wanted something slightly different to happen to the receipt I've just about got it, just stuck on the condition tag <IF> <CONDITION>len(Entry.Comment)</CONDITION> <THEN> I can get it using len but this makes it happen for any word, is there anyway I can make it so that it is more specific ie Entry.Comment contains '%family%' try <IF> <CONDITION>Entry.Comment like '%family%'&...

Time formats in Excel 2003
Being in the UK, I obviously want to use the English(UK) date format, so Christmas Day is 25/12/05 rather than 12/25/05. However, this defaults the time format to hh/mm/ss (why, I do not know, since I can assure American readers we're not normally that precise), so I have to reset it English(US) to get hh/mm, which resets the default date format to mm/dd/yy, so I have to change it back the next time I want to format a cell as a date. Any way round this? It's only a minor problem but it's irritating me. Steve Stephen, If you set up your own custom format with hh/mm, it w...

conditionally restricting values in excel
Hello, I want to restrict values in a particular column based on the value in other column. For eg. if column A has value int then column B should be restricted to values 1,2,3,4,5 if column A has value bool then column B should be restricted to values true and false. if column A has value string I dont want any validation to be done and the list box should not appear. Is this possible..... How do I achieve this ? Can I use macros to do this? How? Thanks Hi as a starting point: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html >-----Original Message----- >Hello, >I want to restrict ...