Conditinal Formatting

Excel 2003
I have a data list using A1 through H1245.  Row 1 contains the field
headers, with column H called Code.  The values in column H are selected from
a drop-down list (validation), with the values set for R,  G, or  B.
I need to step up Conditional Formatting, such that when an R is selected in
a cell in H, the row, columns A thru H turns Red, G will turn a row Green,
and B will turn a row Blue.   We cam then sort by Code to group the colors.
The colors do have some significance to a senior manager.
Suggestions on how to accomplish this will be appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

0
PA (98)

select/ highlight the whole area from A2 to H1245
go to format ...conditional formatting....condition1
select "formula Is" in the dropdown and enter =$H2="R"
format..............select red colour in pattern
select add
repeat   formula is............. enter =$H2="G"   format..... etc
select add
repeat   formula is............. enter =$H2="B"   etc

--
Greetings from New Zealand

"PA" <PA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Excel 2003
> I have a data list using A1 through H1245.  Row 1 contains the field
> headers, with column H called Code.  The values in column H are selected
> from
> a drop-down list (validation), with the values set for R,  G, or  B.
> I need to step up Conditional Formatting, such that when an R is selected
> in
> a cell in H, the row, columns A thru H turns Red, G will turn a row Green,
> and B will turn a row Blue.   We cam then sort by Code to group the
> colors.
> The colors do have some significance to a senior manager.
> Suggestions on how to accomplish this will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Paul

Format change
How would I change the background color to green from red if the valu of a1 is greater and the value of b1? Thanks for your help, Ke -- sungen9 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sungen99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=914 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48287 With A1 the active cell (and red fill color), select Format>Conditiona Formatting... Set Condition 1 to 'Cell Value Is' Greater Than B1 click th Pattern tab and choose your fill color (green?) a...

New Outlook PST format
I've heard that Outlook 2003 can save in a new format so that the PST file can be greater than 2GBytes. What if the old-format PST is much less than 2GBytes. Should one still switch? Are there any other advantages in switching to the new format? THe newer format is also generally more stable.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx =20 &quo...

Font size in conditinal formatting
I set up conditional formatting in columns of an Excel 2000 worksheet. When I pasted text values (copied from an Access data view), most of the formatting worked fine; a condition that made text red bold worked, but the condition that made blue bold text also changed the font size. This did not seem to be an option (I looked at the conditional format and selection of font and size were grayed out) for either the red or blue condition. If I changed the blue condition from bold to regular text, the text size changed back to normal. I then changed the blue condition back to bold and it...

How do you automatically change formats of footnotes
I need to use a particular format for footnotes in a long document, and I don't want to change them individually or in each page. How can I do it automatically? Do you mean bibliographic format (such as MLA or APA or Chicago), or do you mean font, margins, line spacing, etc.? Word can't help you with the former -- the Word2007 bibliography tool doesn't do footnotes, only reference lists (though if you like any of the built- in formats, you could convert the bibliography field to plain text and then move each entry to the appropriate footnote). But if you mean the latt...

Conditionally format another cell?
Is there a way to change the background color of a cell based on the contents of a different cell? thanks!!! Just use a formula that refers to the other cell. If I want X99 to change depending on what's in A1. I select X99 and then format|conditional formatting Formula is: =$A$1="anythingyouwant" Robin wrote: > > Is there a way to change the background color of a cell based on the > contents of a different cell? > > thanks!!! -- Dave Peterson ...

Can't get 24 hour format to change to 12 hour in calendar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I have tried several times to change the International format setting to have a 12 hour am/pm set up in Entourage but the format still stays 24 hour in the Calendar display itself. Although the actual entries are in 12 hour format and Entourage uses the 12 hour format for everything else except how it shows the actual calendars. <br> Is there something else I need to do to have this display correctly in the calendars? <br> I'm using 2008 Web Services Edition. Love this produ...

Time Format.
I have a column with numbers that represent seconds, for example 109. How can I change this number (109) to this format, 0:01:49 Use =TIME(0,INT(I1/60),MOD(I1,60)) and format it as h:mm:ss -- HTH Bob "GEM" <GEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:072EE4E4-9BE0-4835-B246-79D1F4DFE977@microsoft.com... >I have a column with numbers that represent seconds, for example 109. > > How can I change this number (109) to this format, 0:01:49 =A1/(24*60*60) and format as [h]:mm:ss -- David Biddulph "GEM" <GEM@dis...

Area chart date format
I have an area chart that plots quarterly data. I want to show only years on the x-axis, so I changed the interval to 1 year and the number format to 'Custom yyyy'. However this is shortening my dates, so 2020 becomes 202. Bizarrely, 2021 and 2031 show up in full, but other dates are only shown by their first three digits. Any ideas? I suspect the space allotted for each label isn't quite long enough, so the last character is truncated. I know all digits are the same width, but sometimes, especially when the font size is small, "1" is narrower than the rest, whic...

Formatting Formulas
I have a series of formulas that creates English Language labels out of a variety of VLOOKUP's and the ever helpful & sign. Basically, I used the VLOOKUPS to get "Big", "Bag", "Delicious", and "Apples" in cells A1-D1, respectively. Then, in E1, I've got =A1&" "&B1&" of "&C1&" "&D1 so that it comes out Big Bag of Delicious Apples In E2 it says Small Bundle of Tart Grapes and E3 says Big Bundle of Tart Apples, etc. What I'd like to have, though, is some sort of formatting set u...

International date formats
When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value 10.09.03 (a system genereated date vale of 10th Sep 03) replaceing the . with /, Excel (and in VBA when recorded as a macro) sometimes changes the cell value to 09/10/03 (9th October 03). This is driving me potty and have spent a vast amount of time on it trying to work out what Excel is doing!!!! My Regional settings are set fro the UK. Any ideas anyone? "Mike" <michael.may@npower.com> wrote in message news:2d44701c39483$97f77730$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When performing an Edit, replace on the cell value > 10.09.0...

convert from .xls format to .csv format
Hi, Can anyone help me to convert .xls to .csv without changing the content. I want the leading zeros to remain in the csv. Thanks in advance M.Ravindran -- m_ravindran ------------------------------------------------------------------------ m_ravindran's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28668 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483430 Hi take a look at the Text Write facility at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/text_write_program/index.html Regards Roger Govier m_ravindran wrote: > Hi, >...

YYYY format displaying wrong date
I admit I'm confused by this. I'm using Excel '97 (Yes, yes, I know. Upgrade. But this is a client's system over which I have no control.) The client supplied me with a spreadsheet containing a lot of data. I need to make the data consistent for it to be usable. There is a column containing only the year which is currently defined as Text. I want the data to be Date type with a "YYYY" format. I managed to do this somehow in another spreadsheet of similar data. In the spreadsheet I'm currently working on, when I change the column to Date type with "YYY...

formatting #2
Is the strikethrough formatting option no longer available in Publisher? Or if you need to use a strikethrough do you have to draw a line through the text? The line does not always stay in the same spot when you group and then have to paste on another page. Waggie wrote: > Is the strikethrough formatting option no longer available in > Publisher? Or if you need to use a strikethrough do you have to draw > a line through the text? The line does not always stay in the same > spot when you group and then have to paste on another page. ========================== You have the an...

Is it possible to format *individual* gridlines?
I would like to make the 0 line (X-axis) bold, to emphasise when my graphed line drops below zero, but it seems as though I can only format all of the gridlines together. Is it possible to format a single gridline alone? Hi, No you can not format individual gridlines. To get the effect you can use a dummy series and format that. See here for more information. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html Cheers Andy newaglish wrote: > I would like to make the 0 line (X-axis) bold, to emphasise when my graphed > line drops below zero, but it seems as though I can only format a...

data labels
I've checked several times, and I am having this problem. I have a workbook with 12 sheets, each with it's own chart (the charts link only to the sheet they are on, if that matters). Even after formatting data labels as percentages, sometimes they revert to decimals. I used XY chart labeler to put them on, and they are linked to cells. The cells are formatted as percentage also. I've gone through and seen it doing this a few days ago, and changed them all to percentage again. Now, many of them are decimals. Any idea why this would be happening? I think a solution would be to c...

More than 3 outcomes (formats) with conditional formatting
I think I know the answer to this already (i.e., use worksheet_change event instead of conditional formatting), but anyway, I'd like to have a groups of cells be colored up to 8 different ways based on 8 different conditions. Is there any way (other than the one mentioned above) to do this with conditional formatting? Thanks! Hi short answer: no :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany David Jenkins wrote: > I think I know the answer to this already (i.e., use > worksheet_change event instead of conditional formatting), > but anyway, I'd like to have a groups ...

what is the format of Journal Data in Journal Table?
I was wondering whether i can retrieve the data from Journal Table in VB application to view the printed documents. What is the format of this field and what is the suitable application should be used to view this journal content? Thx! NJ, I am trying to do same - as far as I can work out the data is a compressed (zip) version of the (partial) xml receipt. I have been able to extract the uncompressed receipt with the data but now I am trying to figure out how to display it - I am thinking that the XML parser has not been exposed in QS rules and that I have to build my own parser and displa...

How do I change the date format in a pivot chart from numbers to a

Conversion from .csv format to .qif format
I am unable to get our brokerage firm to give downloads in .qif or web connect - but they can and do give downloads in excel .csv format. It seems to me that it would not be a big deal to make a conversion program that reprocessed the .csv format file and creates a .qif file that could be read by MS Money. Has anyone done this or have any bright ideas on alternatives. See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=8. "Dave" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0f5001c46ec4$d83a6ed0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am unable to get our brokerage firm to give down...

Forced Format
I'm needing to have another user fill in a field of SSN's for their people on a document. However I can format the field to be special or custom and it will correctly show 000-00-0000. Problem is they can enter the following errors and it will display the result (see below examples entry:result) abc:abc 1234567890:1234-56-7890 I need to FORCE this field (column) to only accept the 9 digits no alpha and seperated correctly by the dashs. Any thoughts? Thanks, Scott, Select your cells, and use Data | Validation.... Custom.. with the formula (example for all of column B selected...

string format
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0006_01C65BEB.B0C23E80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable i would like to format a string to a float but by an unknown precision = (the precision is in a parameter) to format a string we would write: CString String; float fValue; String.Format(_T("%.3f"), fValue); or int dValue; String.Format(_T("%d"), dValue); but if the precision i want is not 3, but in a parameter: int iPrecision; is it legal to write: String.Format(_T("%.%df&q...

Conditinal Formatting
Excel 2003 I have a data list using A1 through H1245. Row 1 contains the field headers, with column H called Code. The values in column H are selected from a drop-down list (validation), with the values set for R, G, or B. I need to step up Conditional Formatting, such that when an R is selected in a cell in H, the row, columns A thru H turns Red, G will turn a row Green, and B will turn a row Blue. We cam then sort by Code to group the colors. The colors do have some significance to a senior manager. Suggestions on how to accomplish this will be appreciated. Thanks Paul selec...

Excel conditional formatting
When I try and edit a conditional format containing a formula, if I use the arrow keys to try and move across the formula a cell reference is inserted instead. How can I navigate through the formula if it is longer than the dialog box? Pressing F2 while in the formula box will toggle you from selecting a cell reference to manually editing a formula. Pressing F2 again will return you to selecting a cell reference. This also works in the main formula bar. -- Michael J. Malinsky "Bob D" <radahl@mayo.edu> wrote in message news:29d601c36c9f$6aebbd20$3501280a@phx.gbl... &g...

Conditinal Format Not Working
I am trying to get a field to turn red if the condition is "High" I tried using the conditional formatting and it does not work. I also tried using the below vba code and this does not work either. I tried it in the after update procedure and the on current procedure with no luck. Could this be an Access bug? Private Sub Critical_AfterUpdate() If Me.Critical = "High" Then Me.Critical.ForeColor = vbRed End If End Sub Dee, Is Critical a manually entered text control? Or a Combo... or a List? Is it bound to a text field? Details please... Yo...

Custom formating
hi, is that possible to format the numbers w/o % sign, i.e, the number .4 would appear as 40 and not as 40%? Thanks -- ______ Regards, Greg Without the symbol, wouldn't that be confusing/deceptive? An alternative would be to use fixed decimal when inputting the number (Tools - Options - Edit) or to have a helper cell multiply by 10. -- Best Regards, Luke M "Greg" <Greg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EF39C56-C572-4F10-8D37-00C29AA3650C@microsoft.com... > hi, > > is that possible to format the numbers w/o % sign,...