Comparing two spreadsheets.

I have two spreadsheets here, which hold a list of people and there
addresses. However, the original sheet is different to the new sheet,
as some people have been removed, changed address etc.

I need to print out some address labels for all the 'new' or 'changed'
people because I've already done a label list for the originial sheet.

I cant find anything in excel to compare the sheets, someones telling
me pivot tables but I dont think that would work? I've tried 'Excel
Compare' which costs money before it will display ALL the changes, is
there any other way around it?

Regards,
Josh

--
Excellerate
Excellerate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28692

In the second list, create a column labeled "already printed" or whatever,
then in the column create a "lookup" function. I haven't done one in years,
and it seems like in Excel 97, the lookup values had to be located on the
same sheet, so you'd have to copy the names of the people who already have
labels and paste them into the new sheet, out of the way.  Put an x in the
column to the right of each name that already received a label. (use copy
down to do this quickly) Then, set the lookup function to look at the name in
row 1, compare it to the original list, and return the "x" in the "already
printed" column.  Then you could run a filter before printing your labels, or
if doing a merge for the labels, use that column in a query.

Unless you're familiar with these various features, you'll have to read more
about it in help to get more information.

Good Luck!!!

"Excellerate" wrote:

> I have two spreadsheets here, which hold a list of people and there
> addresses. However, the original sheet is different to the new sheet,
> as some people have been removed, changed address etc.
>
> I need to print out some address labels for all the 'new' or 'changed'
> people because I've already done a label list for the originial sheet.
>
> I cant find anything in excel to compare the sheets, someones telling
> me pivot tables but I dont think that would work? I've tried 'Excel
> Compare' which costs money before it will display ALL the changes, is
> there any other way around it?
>
> Regards,
> Josh
>

> --
> Excellerate
> Excellerate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28692
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483780

Pull both worksheets into a seperate table in Access and manipulate it there.
 I do this all day long, moving data back and forth between Access and Excel
because one has features the others doesn't.
--
Acknowledge and Move on.

"Excellerate" wrote:

> I have two spreadsheets here, which hold a list of people and there
> addresses. However, the original sheet is different to the new sheet,
> as some people have been removed, changed address etc.
>
> I need to print out some address labels for all the 'new' or 'changed'
> people because I've already done a label list for the originial sheet.
>
> I cant find anything in excel to compare the sheets, someones telling
> me pivot tables but I dont think that would work? I've tried 'Excel
> Compare' which costs money before it will display ALL the changes, is
> there any other way around it?
>
> Regards,
> Josh
>

> --
> Excellerate
> Excellerate's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28692
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=483780

0
Iris (9)

How to make two codes "Worksheet_Change" work together in same sheet code page
Friends, Please, anybody knows how to make these two VB codes work together? When I put them together in the same "sheet code page" in VBA, th second one doesn't work. Why? *** Code 1 *** Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) * * On Error GoTo QuitCode * * If Intersect(Target, Range("c1:c15")) Is Nothing Then * * * * Exit Sub * * ElseIf Target.Value <>*"" And Target.Offset(0, -1).Value = "" Then * * * * MsgBox "You haven't typed the name of the client yet." * * * * Target.Offset(0, -1).Activate End If QuitCode: ...

compare
Hello everyone, I have been reading this group for a while, however I am quite a rookie in using of excel. I would appreciate if someone could help with this issue. I quite often have to compare two sheets (from different workbooks-files, but with the same sheet name). Calculations are thus updated time by time and I need to check where were the main differences. Cells contain both values and formulas. I have found through this newsgroup nice add-ins of Myrna Larson and Bill Manville, and Rob Bruce. However I would need the macros to highlight only significant differences (let's say fro...

Two Email Accounts not able to reply out of one of them
Hello All, I was wondering if someone here has ran into this problem. I currently have two email accounts setup in Exchange I can receive email in both of these accounts and view the email in Outlook 2003. In my default account if I receive an email I can reply back. But in my secondary mailbox if I receive an email I cannot reply back I get a error message which is listed below. On the secondary account I have added my username under permissions and gave it full access but I am still getting the below error. Anything will help thanks. Your message did not reach some or all of the inten...

Two databases or one
Hi, What if you have two organizations and you plan to design a database to do the same task but within that task, the defined tables will vary because of unique qualities related to the individual organization. Would it be best to create separate databases for each organization or keep the two organizations together? Anyone know the guidelines related to this? Thanks for any feedback. Ask yourself this - How often will you need the combined data? -- Build a little, test a little. "AccessKay" wrote: > Hi, > > What if you have two o...

Comparing
I have two columns of numbers column A could be up to 3500 rows. Column B may be more or less than 3500 rows. What I'm trying to do is see if any number in columns "B" appears anywhere in Column "A", and if so we can just highlight it in both columns. Actually I would want to be able to sort by highlighted. so maybe add someway to sort by matched or unmatched. I hope this makes sense. In column C put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($A1,$B:$B,1,FALSE)),"Not in B","In B") In column D put... =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP($B1,$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"Not in ...

how to create formula to divide two rows autoaatically
Is there any way to setup a sheet or create a formula so that it will divide the data in column A by Column B anytime the data is entered and put it into columnC ? What I am trying to do is create a spreadsheet for calculating fuel MPG. So I have columns as miles, gallons and the calculation as MPG. What I want to do is anytime a value is entered into miles and gallons, to calculate mpg and put it into that respective cell. Is there any way I can do this ? Thanks -- Tony Tony, in Column C, type the formula =sum(a1/b1). This should give you the result you are looking for. Hop...

How to revert to an earlier version of a spreadsheet
Is there a way to revert to an earlier saved version of an Excel document (other than find a backed up copy on a server)? No. In article <182501c49b34$0807a560$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Jessie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to revert to an earlier saved version of an > Excel document (other than find a backed up copy on a > server)? ...

2 workbooks
I have got 2 workbooks with a list of names. I need to find out if a name appears in both books. One of the workbooks came from a different source and the other one is a report I ran from our database. I need to find out whether the workbook from out of the company has got any of our own names on it. I am using Microsoft Excel 97 and am fairly new at this so please be gentle. One way I did think was to combine the two workbooks into one and find the duplicates but thought there may be another way. Thank you. Hi "queen on", Assume that In book1 the names are in column A, s...

extracting data from word to an excel spreadsheet
Thank You for any help. I am trying to find a way to automate the extraction of data from a form in word2000 to excel2000. The form is for HR at my company, we want to track the check boxes that are marked in employee review forms and bring totals into and excel spreadsheet. I know this is going to involve macros, but I cannot find any literature regarding vb in excel. I only find visual basic and from any of the material I found, Visual Basic and vb in excel are not compatible. Please help me and steer me into the correct direction. Thank You again!! Kevin R. ...

Compare two files and update data from another file base on words in a cell separated by commas
I have two file with several colomns. I need to compare two Col B fileA Col B of FileB as shown in example. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AgUVfFOnkiaKdFBiNDFLamcybXdhW... Each col have about 1000 rows. Each row contains thousands of words and phrases separated by Comma. As you can see from example, my data has soo many words and phrases separated by comma in each row of two colomn A and B. ============== i Need to merge data of corresponding row from COLA$FileB TO corresponding row of COLA$FileB Also merge data of corresponding row from COLB$FileB TO correspondin...

differences between two tables
I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, and there are some in both but with differences in the fields. I'm not getting everything. Does anyone have any ideas how I can tackle this? Thanks! Use a UNION ALL query. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "denise" wrote: > I'm trying to find the differences between two tables, A and B. There are > some records in A that are not in B, there are some in B that are not in A, > and there are s...

Looking for a loan calc spreadsheet, one that if you make an extra payment, it will calculate into the duration
Anyone have one of these? I would like one to use with my mortgage and my car loan. I always pay a little extra each month, so I would like to now what these payments will do in the long run. THanks in advance. Make a simple loan amortization table. The following assumes that you are not making extra payments, just paying extra on regularly scheduled payments - Put the loan amount in C1 - Put the annual interest rate in D1 - In D2 divide D1 by the number of payments per year (=D1/12 for monthly payments) - In A2 put =ROW()-1, as a payment counter (or some other payment ID that might ...

two tables with same field names
I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries on corporate's systems. The field names are always the same, and there lies my problem. I need to measure the change in promise dates weekly to the order line level. For example, I need to pull last monday's promise date minus this monday's promise date to get the change in number of days. Post your table structure so a query can be assembled. -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "deb" wrote: > I create an order status table for my division each week by running queries > o...

Why does Outlook open two windows?
When installed Outlook 2003 with a new profile about two hours ago, it would open one window each time I started Outlook. But now, after I've been doing a lot of work on the folder structure, particularly transferring dozens of folders by drag and drop within a single non-default PST file. I notice that the computer has been very noisy for a while, apparently furiously coping with the changes I've been making. Now when I start Outlook, it opens two windows; presumably that's an outcome of something I inadvertently did when transferring all the folders. I'd rather it ...

How do I put a button on an excel spreadsheet to print a report?
Hi please help I want to put a button onto a excel spreadsheet (not the toolbar) that will print a report for me from another sheet, what macro do I use and what options do I use Regards Casper I would record a macro when I printed what I wanted. Then I'd use a button from the Forms toolbar and plop it onto that other sheet--and assign that recorded macro to that button. Your recorded macro may look something like: Option Explicit Sub Macro1() ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, Collate:=True End Sub I'd change it to be more specific (and give it a nice name): O...

I need to compare to columns and indicate the matches in another
am wanting to compare 2 columns for exact matching. If there are two matching items I want to be able to say "A match" in a chosen cell for all the ones that match. Column C will be retrived in an random order... so how would I write the formula for that????? Example: A B C 45time 11tune A match 11tune 89time 47doog 43jkjkj A match 123ABC 123ABC If possible include how to highlight the ones that make as another option. Thanks Try something like this: For a value list in B1:B5 and a ...

Referencing two (or more) cell values in formula
Hi, Can anyone tell me the correct syntax for referencing two cells as a criterion in a formula. For example if I want to sum cells in b1:b5 if cells a1:a5 are greater than the value in c2 I would write the following: =sumif(a1:a5,">"&c2,b1:b5) If I want to sum b1:b5 if cells in a1:a5 are greater than the value in c2 and less than c3 what should I write? =sumif(a1:a5,and(">"&c2,"<"&c3),b1:b5) this doesn't work and neither does this.... =sumif(a1:a5,and(>c2,<c3),b1:b5). Any help gratefully received. Thanks, Will willcull@...

Advice on comparing data sets
Hi, Can anyone advise on how I can compare data on 1 sheet with dat compared on another. Example attached. I want to be able to show that whenever the UK is shown (can appea multiple times) on this sheet it checks on sheet2 and enter th corresponding band value in this case for the UK (show in cells B6, B8 will show band A SHEET1 Ref Country Band 1 UK 2 Germany 3 UK 4 France 5 Italy SHEET2 Country Band UK A GERMANY B ITALY B FRANCE D SWEDEN D DENMARK E As always thanks for your help. Simo +------------------------------------------------------------------- |Filename: ...

comparing cell
i have a spreadsheet that contain a column of name (some the same and some not) and would like to place each name in a row acroos the top of the same spreadsheet. Smith Jones Brown Smith Smith Brown Smith Jones Jones Smith Brown Hi Stanley First insert a heading above your column of names. Then Data>Filter>Advanced Filter mark the source as your column of names. Choose copy to another location and choose a detination cell on the sheet. Select Unique values only. Having got a unique list of names, copy this list and Paste Special>Transpo...

two if conditions, then a counta formula issue
I need the formula which will do the following: If sheet1A3:A1000=70 and if sheet1B3:B1000="OCT, then COUNTA(sheet1C3:C1000), it worked once and can't get it to work again. =IF('sheet1'!$A$3:$A200=70,IF('sheet1'!$B$3:$B200="OCT",COUNTA('sheet1'!C3:C200),"")) Try: =IF(AND(Sheet1!$A$3:$A200=70,Sheet1!$B$3:$B200="OCT"),COUNTA(Sheet1!C3:C200),"") "Jeanette" wrote: > I need the formula which will do the following: If sheet1A3:A1000=70 and if > sheet1B3:B1000="OCT, then COUNTA(sheet1C3:C...

how to join two workbooks
I'm probably being extremely stupid but i'm new to excel and i'm face with the following problem: I've got two separate spreadsheets with company information. What need to do is somehow look at both and create another spreadsheet whic contains only the data that is not in both. i.e. list only the employees (described by their employee id) tha aren't present in both spreadsheets. All help gratefully recieved.. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You should visit Chip site at www.cpearson.com. He has lots of stuff on comparing and joining workbooks Best w...

Compare and delete row
I need some help - I need to compare a cell, let's say A1, that wil contain a date. I need Excel to compare it to today's date, if it i over 60 days, I need it to go ahead and delete that row. If not, I nee it to leave alone. Thanks in advanc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this Sub test() If IsDate(Range("a1")) = True Then If Range("a1").Value > Date + 60 Then Range("a1").EntireRow.Delete End If End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "intheway >" <<intheway.176s7x@excelforum-nospam.c...

.csv spreadsheet To Normal Excel Spreadsheet Format: How Please ?
Hello, Using Excel 2007. I have a .csv formatted spreadsheet I downloaded. Is there any "straightforward" way to convert this to the normal Excel configuration format ? Thanks, Bob Open the file in excel. Save the file as a .xlsx (or .xlsm if you add macros). On 06/13/2010 14:46, Bob wrote: > Hello, > > Using Excel 2007. > > I have a .csv formatted spreadsheet I downloaded. > > Is there any "straightforward" way to convert this to the normal Excel > configuration format ? > > Thanks, > Bob -- Dave Peterson On 6/13/2010 4:00 PM, Dav...

compare side by side
Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear one above the other rather than side by side. Am I missing something?? >>Am I missing something?? I commented on that to MS during the beta test. They ignored me! -- Jim "BK" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:%233jhCdasHHA.1216@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... | Using WindowsXP-Media Edition with Service Pack 2 and Office 2003. | | When I choose the "compare side by side" option, my two workbooks appear ...

duplicating Outlook 2003 on two computers
I use a laptop when i travel which is about 1x per month. I would like to take with me all of my contacts, calendar, and e-mail settings from my desktop with me on the laptop. When I try to either back-up or export, I seem to be able to get certain folders, but not every folder or the settings. What i really want to do is to have Outlook 2003 on my laptop look and have the same information as Outllok 2003 on my desktop. It doesn't have to be done automatically, I just need to know how to make this work. Any thoughts? Hello Thomas, Have a look at www.slipstick.com/outlook/sy...