click on a cell to expand with more information

I am making a phone contact record for work.  How can I make a cell (with a
customers name in it) expose more details or information about that customer,
when hovered over with the pointer?  I also need to know how to enter the
information to be viewed.

2nd question - How do I create a line between multiple entries for the same
customer and the next customer?
example:

John Doe     05/05/05   123-456-7891          9:00       left message
John Doe     05/08/05   123-456-7891          9:30       left message
John Doe     05/08/05   123-456-7891         10:00      returned call
Jane Smith  05/05/05   123-789-4561          9:05      left message
Scott Davis  05/05/05  123-963-8521           9:10      contact made

I hope that I have been easy to understand.  I am trying to learn how to use
excel.
Thank you for any help.
Lisa
0
Lisa1 (290)

Hi
Try right-clicking on the cell and selecting 'Insert Comment'. This will
open a text box for you to type into. Once you've finished typing, click
outside the box to close it. A small red triangle shows in the top-right
corner of the cell to let you know that there is a comment in there. When
you hover over the cell, the information will display.

--
Andy.

"Dodge Lisa" <Dodge Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am making a phone contact record for work.  How can I make a cell (with a
> customers name in it) expose more details or information about that
> customer,
> when hovered over with the pointer?  I also need to know how to enter the
> information to be viewed.
>
> 2nd question - How do I create a line between multiple entries for the
> same
> customer and the next customer?
> example:
>
> John Doe     05/05/05   123-456-7891          9:00       left message
> John Doe     05/08/05   123-456-7891          9:30       left message
> John Doe     05/08/05   123-456-7891         10:00      returned call
> Jane Smith  05/05/05   123-789-4561          9:05      left message
> Scott Davis  05/05/05  123-963-8521           9:10      contact made
>
> I hope that I have been easy to understand.  I am trying to learn how to
> use
> excel.
> Thank you for any help.
> Lisa

0
Andy

How to distinguish right click from left click forNIN_BALLOONUSERC
Hi, In OnTrayIconNotify, my program process NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK. According to msdn, NIN_BALLOONUSERCLICK was sent when the balloon is dismissed because of a mouse click. Is it possible to distinguish right mouse click from left mouse click for this message? I want my program to open a new window when user left click on the balloontip but pop up the context menu when user right click on the trayicon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Richard -- Nothing impossible, Nothing easy If you handle it fast enough you could just look at the state of the mouse button when you get the me...

Copy a string text to cell if another cell not empty
Hi. I appreciate your help. I need to run a macro to do this Start the cursor in the cell x3 and paste a string text then 2 cells down and past again and this untill ... (but if find the word "lic" in some cell in other column like column B stops to paste the text. I really need your help. Thanks. ...

Searching Multiples Words in cells and returing it in adjacent cell
Hi All, I am new to excel So i have some dat where i need to find and write the manufacturer name,color,Size,material and etc in fifferent cells so i am searching for a formula to search so all the above things and write it in the adjacent cells...for example if the cells has the sentance "Size :Only One Size Bust:92~102CM Across Shoulder:38CM Sleeve Length:59CM Length:75CM Material :Polyester Cotton".so it sould find if the material is Polyester cotton,Cotton,Kint,Sweater or Chiffon and write it wherever needed and same for the other search category. I would be very thankful to y...

named cells not referenced in other sheets
how do i fix this situation? ...

Count and Reset Button Clicks
Hello Experts. I have a Yahtzee game with 2 buttons/2 macros. One button (Roll Dice) rolls the dice (Calculate) and the second button (Next Player) clears all checkboxes on the sheet. However, I'd like to know if there's a way to disable the first button after it's been clicked 3 times, then re-enable it once the second button is clicked and start the count over... Please advise. I thank you for your time. We can use a Global variable to communicate between the two macros: Dim IAmTheCount As Integer Sub FirstButton() If IsEmpty(IAmTheCount) Then I...

searching information stores
I am looking for a tool that will search all mail messages in the information store. Is there something out there like this? My boss is asking. Thank you Quest has a tool to do this as does OnTrack. I believe Quest's solution is called Recovery Manager for Exchange and OnTrack's product is called PowerControls. NEMX software also has a product called PowerTools for Exchange - can't recall if this does the same thing or not, though. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "KatPavelka" <k.pavelka@comcast.net> wrote in message news:u3IZsLWNFHA.3192@TK2MSFTNGP10.ph...

Right mouse click not working
I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). Any suggestions - I am lost without it. Thanks, Rita See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Rita" <heidkampr@alyeska-pipeline.com> wrote in message news:0e8701c49c1d$cd1c5ff0$a301280a@phx.gbl... >I seem to have turned off my ability to use my right > mouse click in Excel. My right mouse button works fine > in all other apps (Word, Windows, etc). > > Any suggestions - I am l...

Creating a form that can be dragged from any click within the 'Detail' section
Hi all, I'm trying to create a dashboard and I want the form to be moveable, however I have removed the control box and I don't want the form to have a border (hence no title row that can be used to drag the form). How do I allow a click from either a control or the detail section to enable the form to be dragged? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Bob Phil I agree with your suggestions to stick with the standard Window UI. But if the OP really must have this interface it is possible using the Form's MouseMove etc. events. I and others have posted code how to do this ov...

SUM of subtracting and then adding different cell
I want to be able to make a "seperate cell" that will ony hold a $ amount in it and then when I put new numbers into two other cells it will give the sum of thoe two and then add the seperate one...something goofie like this... =SUM(LMNO18-LMNO19+"SEPERATE CELL") -- Life is a beach...then you forget your suit...Deal with it and go skinny dippin Hmmmm, I got it...It was =SUM(L18-L19+H5) -- Life is a beach...then you forget your suit...Deal with it and go skinny dippin "Kurt" wrote: > I want to be able to make a "seperate cell" that will ...

split combined Time Date cells
from file dump have combined date time cells eg "14/04/03 14:20" (value 37725.59722). Want to perform time analysis so need to split to 2 separate cells; eg. "14/04/2003" (value 37725) & "14:20" (value 0.59722). Is there a fnc to do this? (Currently convert cell to value, then fncs trunc & cell less int(cell) then refmt to date dd/mm/yy & time hh:mm respectively) Hi Mark, With your date/time in A1, B1= Int(A1) Format as date C1=A1-Int(A1) Format as time Drag the formulae down as far as required. --- Regards, Norma...

get Cell to not display ( $
hi, i have cells that are formatted for accounting and the cell formula contains the SUM feature, when the cells are empty and waiting for a value, they display ($ -) and so i have those symblos everywhere and would like the cell just to be blank and then show up with the dollar sign when a value appears in it. Any ideas? thanks Try this. There might be an easier one, but this is what I use. S 14 5 15 5 =IF(SUM(S14:S18)=0,"",(SUM(S14:S18))) 16 5 17 5 ...

directing the sum of a cell to either of two cells depending on va
I have a spreadsheet for working out hours worked that ends like this..... Total Hours _ Add Credit brought forward _ Deduct debit BF _ Total Hours for the week _ Less Standard hours - 36 Total _ What i need to do is forward this balance to another copy of this sheet using a formula that says if its a positive number then it goes to the credit cell but if its a negative number then it goes to the debit cell. Hope this makes sense. If not please ask - I need help. Thanks Debi Would 2 seperate "if" functions work for you. In the debit column put, "if&quo...

Double Click To Calculate
I have a field where I sometimes need to manually enter an amount but sometimes I need it to calculate an amount based on 2 other fields. I know this is not normalized data but this is how we need to run this particular field. I would like to setup the field to allow me to manually enter data most of the time, but then calculate when I double click. The calculation would be [totalpartsCost]/0.8. I just don't know how to create the code it in the event procedure. In the double click event of the textbox, add the code: me.[yourtextboxname]= [totalpartsCost]/0.8 This assumes totalpartsc...

Naming information cannot be located #2
Hi there. I am looking after a site which has a Windows 2000 DC and a Windows 2003 Exchange Server. I have installed SP2 for Exchange 2003. Sometimes on the Exchange server, when I click on Active Directory Users & Computers or Exchange System Manager, I get a message which states that "Naming information cannot be located because the server is not operational. Win32 error". Then some of the users get asked for a username and password when they try to open Microsoft Outlook. When the server is left alone for a while, suddenly I can open Active Directory Users & Compute...

Drop down box in a cell
Hi, I am trying to prototype an application in Excel. I was wondering if it is possible to have a drop down box in a cell where a user can choose a value and then that value becomes the value in the cell. For example if I had a list such as {apples, oranges, grapes, ... }, I want to have a drop down box fit into a cell so a user can choose one value and that value will become the value in the cell. It is the same as an HTML drop down box, except I want the box to be contained exactly in the cell and not floating over it. Thanks, Umesh -- upersad -----------------------------------------...

Split cells with hard-coded line breaks
I occasionally get CSV or regular Excel files that have line-feed characters in cells. This causes cells to have multiple lines in them (you can also create them by using ALT-ENTER). I would like to know if there is an easy way to break up these cells into individual rows, without messing up the columns they are in. As an example, if a cell has 3 rows, I want to basically create two new rows beneath that, leave the first in the original cell, and put the next two in the cells below. There may be multiple columns with multi-line cells, but the number of rows should match (it's basi...

Protection/hide information
Good morning, If anyone has any useful web links for information regarding protection/hide information for 2000 & 2002 generally to broaden my knowledge that would be great. Thanks. Not really sure what you're looking for, but here's some info on worksheet/workbook protection: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html In article <O1SJMW$VEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Kassie Alcorn" <marketing@qld.apollopatio.com.au> wrote: > If anyone has any useful web links for information regarding protection/hide > information for 2000 & ...

Help in displaying in a cell
I had type in a number of words (< 400 word count based of microsoft works) in a excel spreadsheet, but the cell only display ############ wrap text option is checked, What's the exact problem? Using excel 2007 Is the cell formatted as Text? Apply a General format to it instead. Also, you can insert manual line breaks as you enter the text using Alt-Enter. Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 3, 9:59=A0am, "crapit" <biggerc...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I had type in a number of words (< 400 word count based of microsoft works= ) > in a excel spreadsheet, but the c...

Identities makes my drive go click, click, click
One of my Office 2001 users cannot launch an Office application=20 without her drive making a strange, recurring sequence of three clicks.=20 Entourage will not open at all, giving the user and I/O error instead.=20 Other Office apps will eventually open. In an effort to move her to Office for OS X, I've tried to copy the = Office=20 2001 Identities folder to another Mac, but it fails to copy both under=20 Mac OS 9.2.2 and Jaguar. It seems to hang on the Database file=20 particularly. If it were simply a corrupted file, I would not expect the odd drive = noise=20 (click, click, click.......

Is it possible to plot discontiguous cells?
Hi, I posted this yesterday in Miscellaneous, but thought it would be a good idea to ask here, too. I have a column which returns data from other columns based on a set of formulas. The result in each cell can be either a number (to plot in a line chart) or a blank and/or "-" sign like so: 5 - - 3 - - - 8 I would like to be able to chart only the numbers which result in this column. The dashes and numbers will not always position in the same manner as the calculations are altered by user input (therefore I cannot merely return the next number a fixed rows down into another colum...

Changed Cell Address
I am using the Sub shown below. Question: How do I determine the address of the changed cell? Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim WatchRange As Range Dim IntersectRange As Range Set WatchRange = Range("E1:E31") Set IntersectRange = Intersect(Target, WatchRange) If IntersectRange Is Nothing Then 'MsgBox "Changes occured outside of range" Else 'MsgBox "You modified the selected range of cells" Application.Run "Test.xls!Time_Stamp" End If End Sub Hi Richard maybe target.address Cheers JulieD "Richard"...

data validation
I have used MS Excell 97 and would like to define the validation rul over the celles in one column, so that text(or number) value entered i the every next cell to be unique in relation to the all previou completed celles. If somebody knows the decision of the problem -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Debra Dalgleish's page at: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal07.html (Prevent Duplicates) -- Rgds Max xl 97 -- Please respond, in newsgroup xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com --- "doynovam >" <<doynovam.14at0j@excelforum-nospam.com> wr...

Why does one have to click on the cmd button twice
PPT 2003 on Vista .. I have two CMD buttons that I click on one to display new numbers and the second to show the correct answer. I have to click on the second buttoon twice. I don't why becasue on slides from previous files it takes one click to display the data. I tried to match the properties thinking it is a focus issue, but all the properties seem to be the same. I can post the code if it is important. Thanks ... Phil Yes, the code you are using will be helpful. Also, check to see if there is an entrance animation added to the shape you show for the correct ans...

select a range by cell names; vba
I'm trying to select X rows for a sort. The first and last rows have a defined name, RSTART and RLAST. They look like this in the Define Name dialog: ='MySheet'!$15:$15 .... How do you select the rows using these names. Here's the macro output of my best shot. I can't figure out how to incorporate the second name. Thank you. Sub trythis() Application.Goto Reference:="RSTART" Rows("15:59").Select '<---- Held down shift key and selected RLAST in cell address combo Range("I15").Activate ' what is ...

Change header information
Is it possible to change my header information to show the IP of the server rather than the name and domain name? We are considering hosting email on our Ex2003 for a company that leases office space from us, but they don't want our name on their header info.... Thanks. ...