character spacing Excel 2003

How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead
of proportional spacing?  I remember setting proportional or fixed
back in the days of DOS, and haven't used it since and I'm unable to
find it in Microsofts online help for either Excel or Word (2003).

Try using a fixed width font like Courier or Courier New.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Joe" <JOsterheim@gmail.com> wrote in message
> How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead
> of proportional spacing?  I remember setting proportional or fixed
> back in the days of DOS, and haven't used it since and I'm unable to
> find it in Microsofts online help for either Excel or Word (2003).

0
biffinpitt (3171)
9/30/2007 2:15:48 AM
If I format all the cells the same way (Number with 3 decimal places and a
1000's separator), then all my numbers line up even if I don't use a fixed width
font.  (And don't do anything special to the horizontal alignment (I used right
(indent) 0 in format|cells|alignment tab.)

Er, I mean that the decimal points line up.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by
numbers lining up.

Joe wrote:

> How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead
> of proportional spacing?  I remember setting proportional or fixed
> back in the days of DOS, and haven't used it since and I'm unable to
> find it in Microsofts online help for either Excel or Word (2003).

--

Dave Peterson
0

That being said, most fonts are proportional spacing (meaning where
1's are involved, some numbers don't line up in a column).  At one
time in ancient history you could change fonts with proportional
spacing to fixed spacing.  I can't see how to do that anymore, but I'm
thinking there must be a way.......

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 06:35:53 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>If I format all the cells the same way (Number with 3 decimal places and a
>1000's separator), then all my numbers line up even if I don't use a fixed width
>font.  (And don't do anything special to the horizontal alignment (I used right
>(indent) 0 in format|cells|alignment tab.)
>
>Er, I mean that the decimal points line up.  I'm not quite sure what you mean by
>numbers lining up.
>
>Joe wrote:
>>
>> How does one get all numbers in a column to have set spacing instead
>> of proportional spacing?  I remember setting proportional or fixed
>> back in the days of DOS, and haven't used it since and I'm unable to
>> find it in Microsofts online help for either Excel or Word (2003).

extracting sheets on the basis of Row character
Hi, I have the below data...i have only shown the st column but i have the data in 15 coulmns. Like this i have 20 sheets... and i need a separate sheets for the name that are contained in column A ie separate sheet for "Mark" where it will extract the data from 20 sheets where there is row with name mark... Name Mark Steve Mark Gary Mark Gary Steve Regards, radha If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgroup and the subject line ...

Changing from Excel 2003 to 2010...?
At work, I shall shortly be upgraded from Office 2003 to 2010 as part of a general IT upgrade (albeit with no change in hardware for users). My colleagues and I use a large number of pretty complex, linked, spreadsheets with lots of macros etc. Many of these run from buttons on user created toolbars etc. I'm sure Excel 2010 is an excellent spreadsheet programme and we'll all get used to it in time... However, given the new ribbon UI etc I am a little anxious about whether our existing spreadsheets will still work properly (we can't afford any downtime). Obviously I will do ...

Excel icons
All my alias icons now have the excel icon on top of the alias icon. For example if I have an alias to a ppt presentation I can see the ppt icon underneath the excel icon.. If I try to change the icon by using the apple-I command followed by edit-paste onto the icon it makes no difference (all that happens is that the underneath icon changes) Have fixed permmissions - no difference Any ideas Lorry ...

Word Wrapping in Excel #3
I want excel to adjust the height of the row correctly -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 If you've manually set the row height, choose Format/Row/Autofit to restore the default behavior. If instead you've got cells merged (which IMNSHO you shouldn't, but people do anyway), you'll need to use VBA. See Jim Rech's macro: http://google.com/groups?selm=uGMQV...

Managing list membership in GAL w/OWA Exchange 2003 SP2
Is it possible to manage distribution list membership for a list in the GAL with OWA on an Exchnage 2003 SP2 server? This would also have to work to on Firefox and not just IE as the user in question uses linux, which is why he isn't using Outlook to begin with. Thanks. P To my knowledge, the answer is no. However you could get a more definitive answer if you asked this in the Exchange group. Nikki "Paul" <pauldi@iona.com> wrote in message news:518acaad-ddf7-4416-8ac3-9a78bd5f167d@b38g2000prf.googlegroups.com... Is it possible to manage distribution list membership f...

#### being printed instead of characters
I have a text cell that when it prints the cell prints out as all ######. I have tried to expand to cell but still get only the characters #. Is there a limit on the number of characters that will fit into a cell? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ From the XL2000 Help file, "Worksheet and workbook specifications": Length of cell contents (text) - 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. HTH Ed "mconville" <mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mconville.yhu4b@excelforum-...

Outlook 2003 Folder Names Chopped Off
I began using Outlook 2003 with an old format of .pst file. Upon opening Outlook, all folder names apear complete, but once I clicked on any folder, the font jumped in size and many, if not all folder names chopped a few characters, sometimes parts of a character. It did not appear to be systematically resetting a fixed limit, so a longer folder name would have its name chopped by a few characters as would a smaller folder name. I applied all office updates including SP1. I also created a new .pst folder and imported the old .pst file into it. Same behavior in new .pst. Any clues as...

XP imcompatible with Excel 2007?
I noticed that if you compared Excel 2007 installed on Vista and Excel 2007 installed on XP, the font color of XP is lighter than Vista, besides, the background color of the toolbar also sightly different. This difference of font color in the excel content of two different OS is obvious especially when the font size is small. Any solution? ...

Controlling Excel Automatic Calculation???
Hi I=92m trying to make a simple routine in excel VB so, when a command button is pressed, the whole workbook is calculated (I have automatic calculation set to manual). I also want to display a warning message to the end user when input data is changed but the =93calculate=94 button has not been pressed. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any help would be very much appreciated. It is never a good idea to set calculation to manual. nevertheless, this is a normal setting. Put the following code in the Command Button Click function With Application .Calculation = xlAu...

Exchange 2003: Move Inbox Back
Somehow, I accidentally moved my Inbox to the Deleted Items folder where it works totally normally, but I would like to move the Inbox back up one level. Any suggestions/tools/etc? ...

Excel To Access: Transfer multiple rows from excel to access
Hi All, How can I transfer a Bock of data to Access from excel by clicking a "Submit" button? eg: I have designed a "Submit" button on the excel sheet that exports all of the student data into access in a single row... BUT I want to insert all this data in access in seperate rows. Here is what My excel table looks like: Student_ID Subjects Grades 123456 Eng A 123456 Hist B 123456 Math B+ 123456 Bio B- So, once we click "Submit" I want the data displayed above ...

Exchange Server 2003 not emptying mail boxes on the server
I'm not being allowed to send e-mail because my mail box has exceeded the limits set for this. The problem is that my mail box is 3MB and the limit is 80MB. The place that is more than 80MB is the stuff which is stored (only) on the server and in fact almost all of that 90MB is in the Deleted Items folder. I naturally can't get to this and delete it for the third time ... I informed them of this about 24 hours ago and expected at the latest that this would be automatically cleared overnight. It wasn't. I've chased this morning and still nothing five hours later. a) is this a...

How can I change an excel document
How can I change an excel document back a regular folder? I opened a folder with excel by mistake, it had several emails in it. Now I can't read it. what do I do to be able to change back to a folder so I can open it? Thank you. Sara gkuhL3@adelphia.net It sounds like you opened a file and actually saved it in excel (or let autosave save it). It that's what happened, do you have a backup of your original file? I don't think there's a way to go back. Depending on what that file was (plain text???), you may be able to reopen it in excel and extract some info--but I would...

VBA: Insert Page Breaks code is not working in Excel 2010
I have a snippet of VBA code to insert page breaks after a particular row. This works fine in Excel 2007, but it doesn't in another Excel 2010 machine. It doesn't seem right to me that VBA code would behave differently in different versions of Excel. Am I missing something?? RE: Am I missing something?? Yes, your code. -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "iswarya" <u59539@uwe> wrote in message news:a6e77011b51d5@uwe... >I have a snippet of VBA code to insert page breaks after a particular row. > This works fine in Excel 2007, but it doesn...

delete all characters after an character
Hi I have a spread sheet where I have a colum with pack size ex: 10/20'. I would like to remove all character after the slash (/). I cannot use any of amount of character beacause it's not always the same format but the slash is always there. Remember I have over 10000 lines. Thank any help will be appreciated. try this. Also removes the / Sub findslash() For Each c In Selection x = InStr(c, "/") - 1 MsgBox Left(c, x) Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jean-Francois Boucher" <Jean-Francois Boucher@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

removing excel sheet password
hi i forgot password for my excelsheet. i have so many important things in that sheet. how can i open the document?. pls suggest me on this.. thanks in advance this will do it http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html Mike "nag" wrote: > hi > > i forgot password for my excelsheet. i have so many important things in that > sheet. how can i open the document?. pls suggest me on this.. > > thanks in advance Password to open the file? Password to unprotect a sheet or the workbook? You mention "document" so I will assume you mean password...

Excel Properties
I use a spreadsheet every day and save it about 10 times per day. I have noticed that my KB's are climbing over awhile(900,000 to 4,000,000).I haven't added any thing that could make this happen. Can someone help, it's slowing down my spreadsheet? Also can you see how much KB's are in a tab on a spreadsheet? Thanks See http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm and then http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelSpreadsheetDesign.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Stoney Currie" <StoneyCurrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Strange Character
I'm trying to write some code to delete a character in a text file. The character appears as a square "O", and when it is copied to MS Word, it turns out to be "^m" for a manual page break that I can find, edit and replace. So the question is, what is that character in Excel, and how can I do and find and replace on it? If you need more information, please let me know. Thanks, Bernie Chip Pearson has a very nice addin that can help identify those funny characters. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CellView.htm If you have to do this lots of times, I'd recor...

Odd Characters showing up in e-mails sent to contacts
When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd characters show up in the e-mails. The characters usually look like this “, this ” or this †Any ideas on how to prevent this? Sometimes this occurs if you compose the email in another application and paste it into a CRM email template or email form. Try re-typing the email directly in the CRM template or form. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Steve Bambauer" wrote: > When we send out e-mail from CRM sometimes our customers complain that odd > ch...

error: Formula is to long in Excel
How can I create a link that will send mail to multiple reciepients, with out getting a pop-up telling me that the formula is too long? Example:=HYPERLINK("mailto:name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.comname@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,name@domain.com,,"family") ...

EXCEL will not show FONT less than 8
I was having aproblem with Outlook so I uninstalled and reinstalled Office. How when I select a EXCEL S/S with any font smaller than 8 - it does not show. When I tried to type in a small font it gave me a Row Height of 500 !! Anyone ever heard of this problem - I suspect I'll be into installing Office again - but if anyone knows a quick fix it would be nice. BTW I tried several S/S that work on other computers. Thanks for any help ...

Outlook 2003: Reply to messages using the account to which they were sent?
I have a series of email accounts set up in my Outlook 2003. All mail is delivered to my default Inbox. I'm looking for a foolproof means of ensuring that when I reply to an email... that it is sent from the account to which it was sent. I don't want to have to think to change the sending account manually... So: If an email is sent to bob@bob.com, when I hit reply I want the reply account to be bob@bob.com If the email was sent to accounts@bob.com, when I hit reply I want the reply account to be accounts@bob.com Any idea as to how I do this? Thanks Bob All version of Outlook...

Crash course in formatting Excel spreadsheets
I need to learn about using Excel spreadsheets for columns of text and using colors to distinguish information in a cell. We are having lots of problems with such things as a cell needing to expand or contract based on the amount of text in it. We would like to not have to manually return at the end of each line so the text would correctly reformat itself after adding or deleting text. I've looked through the online training MS offers on their website and haven't found anything to help me with this. Any other suggestions in an online or downloadable tutorial for these tasks? Thanks, C...

Load Excel with focus on A1
I have a spreadsheet containning multiple sheets. I would like to be able to load the spreadsheet and to have all sheets with focus on a1. Is there a code i could put in Myworbook or is there something else I could do to have it automativcally load with focus on A! each time. The reason why is that many people do view the spreadsheet and when it opens I need to be initialize to A1. Thanks Fab -- Fabiolus ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Fabiolus's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28340 View this thread: htt...

Issue skiping characters by Regular Expressions searching Word
When using Regular Expression search using VBA script in Excel to search Word document, "-" character in the word document gets skiped (substituted with "" empty character). Here is the string in Word: <DE4.0><SWR4.4.l‑CE6:A> Here is the snipet of VBA code used: With Selector.Find .text = "\<DE?*^13" .Replacement.text = "" .Forward = True .Wrap = wdFindzz .Format = True .MatchCase = False .MatchWholeWord = False .MatchAllWordForms = False .MatchSoundsLike = False .MatchWild...