Changing fonts with a formula

Is there any way to change the font of a cell using conditional formats or a
formula that will specify the font?

It appears that conditional formats cannot be used to change the cell font
in Excel 2007.  Is this correct?  If not, is there a function similar to the
TEXT() function that would allow a user to insert text in a cell in a
specific font and size?

0
Blue

In a word, no.

--
Regards
Dave Hawley
"Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote in message
> Is there any way to change the font of a cell using conditional formats or
> a formula that will specify the font?
>
> It appears that conditional formats cannot be used to change the cell font
> in Excel 2007.  Is this correct?  If not, is there a function similar to
> the TEXT() function that would allow a user to insert text in a cell in a
> specific font and size?

0
ozgrid
4/22/2010 9:20:00 AM
You can change the below using Conditional Formatting In Excel 2007.

Cell font Color/Font Style/Underline/Effects (Strike Through)/Cell
Format/Border Line Style / Border Line Color/Cell Background Color/Pattern
Color and Pattern Style.

But the font cannot be changed by using the CF.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 02:38:23 -0600, "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com> wrote:

>Is there any way to change the font of a cell using conditional formats or a
>formula that will specify the font?
>
>It appears that conditional formats cannot be used to change the cell font
>in Excel 2007.  Is this correct?  If not, is there a function similar to the
>TEXT() function that would allow a user to insert text in a cell in a
>specific font and size?

You can not change fonts with a formula.  Functions can only return a value.

Conditional formatting will not change the font family, although it can change
certain attributes of the font (e.g. bold, italic, etc).

You can change the font family using a VBA macro; testing within the macro for
certain conditions so it works similar to conditional formatting.  Is that what
you want?  If so, provide more information.
--ron
0
Ron
4/22/2010 11:31:53 AM
Thank you, Ron, and also to the others who responded.  Unfortunately, it is
clear that conditional formats cannot be used to change the font.  Sure hope
Microsoft will add this feature in the future.  We also note that your
border line-thickness selections are far fewer than on the standard dialog -
a pity.  We will look into using VBA, but had hoped for a simpler solution!

Thanks Everyone,

Richard

"Ron Rosenfeld" <ronrosenfeld@nospam.org> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 02:38:23 -0600, "Blue Max" <mailrichard@msn.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to change the font of a cell using conditional formats or
>>formula that will specify the font?
>>
>>It appears that conditional formats cannot be used to change the cell font
>>in Excel 2007.  Is this correct?  If not, is there a function similar to
>>the
>>TEXT() function that would allow a user to insert text in a cell in a
>>specific font and size?
>
> You can not change fonts with a formula.  Functions can only return a
> value.
>
> Conditional formatting will not change the font family, although it can
> change
> certain attributes of the font (e.g. bold, italic, etc).
>
> You can change the font family using a VBA macro; testing within the macro
> for
> certain conditions so it works similar to conditional formatting.  Is that
> what
> you want?  If so, provide more information.
> --ron

0
Blue

External data link change

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

Hidden rows unhide themselves when formulas are written
I have a worksheet with many hidden rows & columns. However, when I try to write a formula in this worksheet, these hidden rows & columns automatically unhide themselves. Is there any way to disable this? ...

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

Average formula #6
What formula do I use to calculate a weekly average as the monthly tota changes? Example: july total value divided by 28weeks, august value divided b 32 weeks, sept value divided by 36 weeks and so on In other words, a weekly average as each month ends and the value i entered I hope someone understands this and can help thanks so much lesli -- onyx481 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- onyx4813's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47137 As...

How to change newsgroup message font

Change a formula to an acual number

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How do use the if formula
How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATISFACTORY if that is not the case? if each score is in cells A1 to A4 then use =IF(AVERAGE(A1:A4)>=36,"PASSING ","UNSATISFACTORY ") -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Fahim" wrote: > How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the > project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATIS...

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

Creating charts from formula results
Im trying to create a chart in Excel based on the reult of a column or formula's I wrote. The chart just seems to show the formula as its values, can anyone help? I had a list of employee ages and used a formula to indicate their age bracket (e.g. 16-24, 25-30, 31-40 etc). I now want a bar chart that will show how many employee's are in each bracket. Help is much appreciated asap as its for my job. Thanks in advance. -- Boba Fett ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boba Fett's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...

Copying formulas
Is there an easy way to copy this to about 700 cells? =SUMPRODUCT((A4:A11998=S6)*(B4:B11998=V3)) there has to be an easier way to copy this. Easier than what? Copy and paste? Or drag to fill? If you want exactly the same in all 700 cells, make the cell references in the formula absolute & it will copy without change. [But why would you want to do that?] If you want any or all of the references to change as the rows or copies change, make the relevant parts relative addresses. -- David Biddulph "tim2216" <tim2216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

icon changes with change of extension

Display Formula Values
I have a number of formulas that are displaying the result using the value that is displayed in a referenced cell rather than what was actually input. For example, if my formula in cell A1 is B1*C1 and my value in C1 is .075 and the cell is formatted to display a percentage with no decimal places my formula in B1 uses 8% instead of 7.5%. How can I address this across the entire workbook rather than having to change the format in each of the necessary cells. Thanks for your help. What formula do you have in B1? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------...

Field Type Change

Frequency Formula
Can some one please hlep me to right a formula to find the amount of times a certain numbers shows up with in a series of numbers. For example if i have (column A) 2 (row 1) 3 4 3 2 2 4 (row 7) and i wanted to write a formula to show me how many times the numbers 2 and 3 appear with in that series how do i write it. i have been playing with =frequency(A1:A7,2) just to find one number thinking that would give me the number of times 2 shows up but that gives me the number of times a number a number 2 or less then 2 shows up. I have been trying for 2 hours now to get this to work...