Change firstname lastname to lastname first name in a column

Hi, I have an excel spreadsheet where I have a column of user names an
they are listing as Mary Jones, Tim Betts etc.  There is a spac
between the First Name and Last Name.  I would like to change thi
column to show Jones, Mary and Betts, Tim.  So lastname, firstname.  I
there a way to do this as I have a lot of names to change.  Thank you.

Cat

Hi Caty
one way suing a helper column. enter the following in B1
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255) & " " & LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
copy this down for all rows.

after this copy column B and insert it again with 'Edit - Paste
Special - Values'. After this you can delete column A if you like

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"cadonn >" <<cadonn.149b2u@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:cadonn.149b2u@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Hi, I have an excel spreadsheet where I have a column of user names
and
> they are listing as Mary Jones, Tim Betts etc.  There is a space
> between the First Name and Last Name.  I would like to change this
> column to show Jones, Mary and Betts, Tim.  So lastname, firstname.
Is
> there a way to do this as I have a lot of names to change.  Thank
you.

> Caty
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
4/5/2004 8:56:49 PM
Highlight the column (assume A), then do Data > Text to columns > Delimited
> Next  > check the Space box > Next > Finish...........this will separate
the two names into two columns, A and B........then in C1 put this formula
and copy it down........

=B1&", "&A1

You can then do Copy > Paste Special > Values on column C and delete columns
A and B if you wish..........

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"cadonn >" <<cadonn.149b2u@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have an excel spreadsheet where I have a column of user names and
> they are listing as Mary Jones, Tim Betts etc.  There is a space
> between the First Name and Last Name.  I would like to change this
> column to show Jones, Mary and Betts, Tim.  So lastname, firstname.  Is
> there a way to do this as I have a lot of names to change.  Thank you.
>
> Caty
>

> ---

croberts (1377)
5/31/2004 8:48:27 PM
This maco will change your current column to what is desired.
Sub switchnames()
For Each n In Selection
x = InStr(n, " ")
n.Value = Right(n, Len(n) - x) & ", " & Left(n, x)
Next n
End Sub

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"CLR" <croberts@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Highlight the column (assume A), then do Data > Text to columns >
Delimited
> > Next  > check the Space box > Next > Finish...........this will separate
> the two names into two columns, A and B........then in C1 put this formula
> and copy it down........
>
> =B1&", "&A1
>
> You can then do Copy > Paste Special > Values on column C and delete
columns
> A and B if you wish..........
>
> Vaya con Dios,
> Chuck, CABGx3
>

> "cadonn >" <<cadonn.149b2u@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have an excel spreadsheet where I have a column of user names and
> > they are listing as Mary Jones, Tim Betts etc.  There is a space
> > between the First Name and Last Name.  I would like to change this
> > column to show Jones, Mary and Betts, Tim.  So lastname, firstname.  Is
> > there a way to do this as I have a lot of names to change.  Thank you.
> >
> > Caty
> >

> > ---
> > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/

0
Don

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

External data link change

AddIn Functions Have File Path and #NAME? Error
Hello, How do I get Excel 2007 to drop the file path on formulas with Excel addin functions in them? I've just upgraded from Office 2003 to 2007 on XP and am having some trouble with my Excel addin workbook functions. There are a number of addins that are kept in a directory on the computer, C:\ExcelAddins. They are updated from time to time and so everyone has them in this directory on there computer so IT can upload updates. After the Office 2007 upgrade I added all these addins to Excel 2007. In 2003 I would be able to access the addin functions by typing in the name and pa...

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The
If my System.IO.StreamWriter Write method throws "The specified network name is no longer available." and I try to Dispose or Close it in the finaly clause the close or dispose method just throws "The specified network name is no longer available." again. how to clean this up? after this the stream writer is stuck connected until i restart my process. ...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

New spreadsheet only prints the first page
My spreadsheet is a calendar that counts the days of call for my 3 physician partners and myself. Last year's was in Excel 97 and through a lot of cutting and pasting I have the 2010 calendar all set. When I go to "page break preview", page 1 is seen, but the rest of the sheet is gray. When I go to print preview, I only get that first month and not the rest of the spreadsheet. I tried to save it in the old format, too, but I get the same problem. If desired, send your file to my address below along with this msg and a clear explanation of what you want and before/afte...

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How to change icon for my application

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

How to change newsgroup message font

Which one first?Install Windows Server 2003 SP1 or Exchange SP2 ?
Hi, We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? Rgrds, Zul If it was me do the OS first. "Zul J" <mlist@istar.com.my> wrote in message news:%23AeXnXErFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003. We planned to update > the software in terms of patches, so which one should I do first, the OS > patches (SP1 and onwards) or the Exchange patches ? > ...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

More than 256 columns? #2
How do I get 1050 columns into Excel? Alternatively, which other tool can I use for this that is not too expensive? You don't. Excel is limited to 256 colums. Two alternatives: 1) Swing your table around, make the colum headings the row headings.... not a good suggestion at all though. 2) Get your data into Access... I guess you already have it. Then run your data analysis in Excel straight from the Access database.... much better. "65538" <65538@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C41D68C-CF17-4E48-90E4-9358FEF39967@microsoft.com... > How do I ge...