Change a formula to an acual number

I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created
Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creatin
the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74725)

Laura, copy, then paste special, valves

--
Paul B
Using Excel 2000 & 97
"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
newspab (273)
2/20/2004 10:23:08 PM
Hi Laura!

Select B1 (or all the cells you want to effect. Edit-
>Copy, Edit->Paste Special (select Values) ->OK

Scott

0
anonymous (74725)
2/20/2004 10:26:28 PM
Laura,

Copy the cell and then Edit / Pate special / Values

--
Regards,
Auk  Ales

* Please reply to this newsgroup only *
* I will not react on unsolicited e-mails *

"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Hi
not chance without using VBA. You may put the following code in your
worksheet module
    If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    On Error GoTo CleanUp:
    With Target
        If .Value <> "" Then
            .offset(0,1).value = value+1
        End If
    End With
CleanUp:
    Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

This put the value of A1+1 in cell A2 everytime you change A1. But I'm
not sure why you want to do this. Why do you want to get rid of the
formula?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
frank.kabel (11126)
2/20/2004 10:30:31 PM
Hi Frank,

You are a bit overdoing this.
She isn't able yet to paste values and you want het to paste a macro in a
module ???   <vbg>

--

> Hi
> not chance without using VBA. You may put the following code in your
> worksheet module
>     If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
>     If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("A1")) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
>     On Error GoTo CleanUp:
>     With Target
>         If .Value <> "" Then
>             .offset(0,1).value = value+1
>         End If
>     End With
> CleanUp:
>     Application.EnableEvents = True
> End Sub
>
> This put the value of A1+1 in cell A2 everytime you change A1. But I'm
> not sure why you want to do this. Why do you want to get rid of the
> formula?
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
> created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
> creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Hi Auk
thought that myself after hitting the 'Send' Button and seeing the
other replies :-)
Always looking for the complex solution and not the simple one  -
typical German habit BTW <vbg>

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

2/20/2004 10:49:22 PM
1) Go to the cell
2) Press F2 (cell edit)
3) Press F9 (calculate)
4) Press "Enter"

--
Regards
Andy Wiggins

"Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

Didn't see the original post.  Hope this helps.

Highlight the cell
Click on <Edit><Copy>
Click on <Edit><Paste special><Values><OK>

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions
"Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> 1) Go to the cell
> 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> 4) Press "Enter"
>
> --
> Regards
> Andy Wiggins
> www.BygSoftware.com
> Home of "Save and BackUp",
> "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
>

> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has
created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1
creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
Bill
2/21/2004 11:54:14 AM
What the $%#&...
You live and you learn.
Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.

Best wishes Harald
Followup to newsgroup only please.

> 1) Go to the cell
> 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> 4) Press "Enter"
>
> --
> Regards
> Andy Wiggins
> www.BygSoftware.com
> Home of "Save and BackUp",
> "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
>

> "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

0
innocent (844)
2/21/2004 6:15:40 PM
And if you select/highlight a portion of the formula, then the F9 will evaluate
just that portion.

Hit ctrl-Z to reverse it or hit escape to get back the original formula.

Harald Staff wrote:

> What the $%#&...
> You live and you learn.
> Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.
>
> Best wishes Harald
> Followup to newsgroup only please.
>
> "Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> > 1) Go to the cell
> > 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> > 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> > 4) Press "Enter"
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Andy Wiggins
> > www.BygSoftware.com
> > Home of "Save and BackUp",
> > "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
> >

> > "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created.
> > > Example:  Cell A1 is the number 1.  Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creating
> > > the number 2.  I want this to be a two not a formula.  Any ideas?

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

It's actually a great way to debug a formula "in parts" or for replacing
parts of the formula with values.
It's even better than the evaluating of a formula in XL XP because you can
choose the parts of the formula yourself rather than having to follow the
steps XL XP takes.

I've however never thought of using it in the way Andy did.   So I do agree
with Harald.

It is however restricted in use as you can't do this for a whole range of
cells as you can with Copy / Paste special.

--

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> And if you select/highlight a portion of the formula, then the F9 will
evaluate
> just that portion.
>
> Hit ctrl-Z to reverse it or hit escape to get back the original formula.
>

> Harald Staff wrote:
> >
> > What the $%#&...
> > You live and you learn.
> > Thanks for a new trick, Andy. Cool.
> >
> > Best wishes Harald
> > Followup to newsgroup only please.
> >
> > "Andy Wiggins" <contact.me@via.my.address> wrote in message
> > > 1) Go to the cell
> > > 2) Press F2 (cell edit)
> > > 3) Press F9 (calculate)
> > > 4) Press "Enter"
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Andy Wiggins
> > > www.BygSoftware.com
> > > Home of "Save and BackUp",
> > > "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA"
> > >

> > > "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place but I'm hoping someon
can help.  I have got salary data in Excel which I wish to total s
that I can find out the averages etc.  I've had to clean it up as it'
from an online questionnaire so respondents have entered dat
differently (e.g. 13k, 13,000, �13,000 etc)

Trouble is all the cells have ' in front of the numbers, meaning that
can't sum them.  There are 2 lists of at least 500 numbers... and
don't want to have to manually delete the ' symbol from each and ever
cell.  Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way of removing thi
and making the cells 'normal' numbers again?

Thank you if you can!

Without macros you can   copy an empty (never used) cell with Ctrl+C
then    select the cells or column(s) you want the change from text
to numbers,  then   Edit,  Paste Special,  Add

If you have to do this often you might look at the TrimALL   macro on
my        http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm#trimall
or one of the ReEnter macros.
---
HTH,

"fwilson >" <<fwilson.12ltha@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:fwilson.12ltha@excelforum-nospam.com...
> Apologies if I've posted this in the wrong place but I'm hoping someone
> can help.  I have got salary data in Excel which I wish to total so
> that I can find out the averages etc.  I've had to clean it up as it's
> from an online questionnaire so respondents have entered data
> differently (e.g. 13k, 13,000, �13,000 etc)
>
> Trouble is all the cells have ' in front of the numbers, meaning that I
> can't sum them.  There are 2 lists of at least 500 numbers... and I
> don't want to have to manually delete the ' symbol from each and every
> cell.  Can anyone please tell me a quick and easy way of removing this
> and making the cells 'normal' numbers again?
>
> Thank you if you can!!
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2585)

External data link change

normalizing a column of numbers
How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing Mason, Use a helper column where you normalize your numbers using an appropriate formula prior to charting, and then chart that column with your normalizing formulas. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "mason" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81F1FB07-419B-4E41-87D3-25DB75E1EEDC@microsoft.com... > How do you normalize a column of numbers using a chart? I know how to do a chart but not how to interpret it for normalizing. > &...

Why does the change change to a number?

Sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row, how to?
How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? hi, i don't know if i understand your question correctly, =Sum(A1:A10) -- isabelle Le 2012-02-15 01:25, marsup a �crit : > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? On Feb 17, 11:30=A0am, isabelle <i...@v.org> wrote: > hi, > > i don't know if i understand your question correctly, > > =3DSum(A1:A10) > > -- > isabelle > > Le 2012-02-15 01:25,marsupa =E9crit : > > > > > > > > > How to sum numbers in a column beyond a certain row? Thanks Isabelle, I a...

Track Changes

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

more on VBA function name change

Hidden rows unhide themselves when formulas are written
I have a worksheet with many hidden rows & columns. However, when I try to write a formula in this worksheet, these hidden rows & columns automatically unhide themselves. Is there any way to disable this? ...

How to change icon for my application

Combine variable number of columns
I have a single spreadsheet with a list of clients, addresses and their product interests. This table will be used to drive a Mailmerge document. In the document, I want to be able to refer to the products in which they indicated an interest. The problem is that while one client may have identified only one product (one column) others have selected anywhere from two to 170 products - each product is in a separate column. I can join two columns with "&", but when I have an inconsistent number of columns how do I do this efficiently? - I will have to do it for each client, e...

How do I identify if a cell in excel contains a formula or a numbe
I would like to identify some how if a cell contains just a written number (ex "25000") or contains a formula. I would like to do this because I have an array where some cell contains formulas but some are numbers and I would like to be able to use conditional formating to highlight the cells that just have a number. Regards /Tobias Click on the cell and look at the formula bar. The formula or the value will appear there. Ian "Tobias Andersson" <Tobias Andersson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:739C49F9-91D7-4F0C-8581-FF04AF3E9375@microsoft.com...

How to change newsgroup message font

Average formula #6
What formula do I use to calculate a weekly average as the monthly tota changes? Example: july total value divided by 28weeks, august value divided b 32 weeks, sept value divided by 36 weeks and so on In other words, a weekly average as each month ends and the value i entered I hope someone understands this and can help thanks so much lesli -- onyx481 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- onyx4813's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47137 As...

Formulas #38
Ok, I use to have a spreadsheet that would self populate data from an attached spreadsheet. The way it worked is that I had one spreadsheet that contained data and another that was a form. Basically it was set up so that I could enter the row number from the data spreadsheet on the from spreadsheet and it would fill in the form with the appropriate data. Now I need to set up another spreadsheet the same way, but I can't seem to remember the formula. Is there anyone out there that does something like this. I would greatly appreciate any help. Jesse13579 Wrote: > Ok, I use ...

Change a formula to an acual number

How do I use cond format formula to set cell text and color?
Using MS Excel 2003: As and example, I entered into Conditional Format for cell B1: "Formula is", IF(A1="","Test",""). For true condition, the format is set to fill Yellow and font color red. I'm expecting cell B1 to display, "Test" in red text with yellow background when A1 is blank, but it does not work. No errors are displayed. Any ideas? in my experience you can only set the format,you cant have the word test show up.Apply the format condition only using =A1="" and put a seperate if statement in the cell.If it blank ...

Problem Changing an Investment Name

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

How do use the if formula
How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATISFACTORY if that is not the case? if each score is in cells A1 to A4 then use =IF(AVERAGE(A1:A4)>=36,"PASSING ","UNSATISFACTORY ") -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "Fahim" wrote: > How do I use an IF formula that displays PASSING if the average of the > project grades is at or above 36 points and UNSATIS...

Copying formulas
Is there an easy way to copy this to about 700 cells? =SUMPRODUCT((A4:A11998=S6)*(B4:B11998=V3)) there has to be an easier way to copy this. Easier than what? Copy and paste? Or drag to fill? If you want exactly the same in all 700 cells, make the cell references in the formula absolute & it will copy without change. [But why would you want to do that?] If you want any or all of the references to change as the rows or copies change, make the relevant parts relative addresses. -- David Biddulph "tim2216" <tim2216@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Creating charts from formula results
Im trying to create a chart in Excel based on the reult of a column or formula's I wrote. The chart just seems to show the formula as its values, can anyone help? I had a list of employee ages and used a formula to indicate their age bracket (e.g. 16-24, 25-30, 31-40 etc). I now want a bar chart that will show how many employee's are in each bracket. Help is much appreciated asap as its for my job. Thanks in advance. -- Boba Fett ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Boba Fett's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo...