Can't find formula for largest value in multiple cells

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that pulls data from another
spreadsheet in the same file as well as data from other files. In the
attached spreadsheets, I have fields that find the largest value based
on dates entered in multiple cells (ie. In my first spreadsheet, I have
formulas to find the largest date on that page (=largest(xx:xx), and on
my 'master' spreadsheet, I want to find the largest date from the
formulas I just mentioned). The problem I'm finding is that excel won't
let me include more than two cells in my last formula. It tells me I'm
entering too much data. Can someone tell me how to do this?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270

=LARGE(A1:C50,1)
or
=MAX(A1:C50)

Either formula will return the largest value from the range of A1 through
C50............

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"telewats" wrote:

> I'm trying to create a spreadsheet that pulls data from another
> spreadsheet in the same file as well as data from other files. In the
> attached spreadsheets, I have fields that find the largest value based
> on dates entered in multiple cells (ie. In my first spreadsheet, I have
> formulas to find the largest date on that page (=largest(xx:xx), and on
> my 'master' spreadsheet, I want to find the largest date from the
> formulas I just mentioned). The problem I'm finding is that excel won't
> let me include more than two cells in my last formula. It tells me I'm
> entering too much data. Can someone tell me how to do this?
>

> --
> telewats
> telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499387

0
CLR (807)
1/9/2006 3:46:02 PM
This is good to know. Thanks for the info.

What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
spreadsheets?

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499387

=MAX(B12,B40,B65)
=MAX(Sheet1!B12,Sheet2!B40,Sheet3!B65)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"telewats" wrote:

> This is good to know. Thanks for the info.
>
> What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
> another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
> spreadsheets?
>

> --
> telewats
> telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499387

0
CLR (807)
1/9/2006 5:50:06 PM
Click on B12; hold CTRL, click on B40 then on B65; type mydata in Name box
and pres ENTER
Use =MAX(mydata) or LARGE(mydata,1)   ---- you can also use LARGE(mydata,2)
for next largest

Multiple sheets: MAX(MAX(Sheet1!A1:A10), MAX(Sheet2!B2:B20)
Or expand on the name method
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"telewats" <telewats.21do3o_1136827504.3383@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in
message news:telewats.21do3o_1136827504.3383@excelforum-nospam.com...

> This is good to know. Thanks for the info.
>
> What if I want to use cells that aren't in conjunction with one
> another, ie. B12 & B40 & B65? Or if I want to pull data from multiple
> spreadsheets?
>

> --
> telewats
> telewats's Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499387

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
1/9/2006 7:21:19 PM
This worked great - thanks!

--
telewats
telewats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30270
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=499387

Find Duplicate names and delate

how do I delete numbers without deleting formulas
In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the formulas in the column? F5>Special>Constants. Use the option buttons to select what you wish to highlight for deleting>Ok Edit>Clear Contents. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 8 Oct 2005 13:13:02 -0700, "Emmaus junkie" <Emmaus junkie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In excel 2003 how do I delete a column of numbers without deleting the >formulas in the column? ...

Find a Value the first Time It Occurs

Finding a Median

Easy Formula?
I Have A Column A & B I Have A Formula At Column C =sum(a2*b2)+(a3*b3)+(a4*b4) Answer Is 31 I Want To Multiply A1 And B1 Up To The Last Range Of Data Add The Total Product The Problem Is: If Have A Lot Of Data In Column A & B, The Formula Is So Very Long Theres Any Easy Formula? A B 3 5 2 7 2 2 -- xtrmhyper ------------------------------------------------------------------------ xtrmhyper's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23851 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=3908...

Find/Replace in RichEdit 2.0

Find (but not find)

is there a comand to return the mane of a worksheet inside a cell
Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi Fabian Try this, =MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))+1,FIND("]",CELL("filename"))-FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) This one will give you the full path: =CELL("filename") HTH John "Fabian" <Fabian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:140C847D-2C3A-49F6-9C60-9515B426AD5E@microsoft.com... > Trying to find a command that returns a worksheet name inside a cell Hi, =MID(CELL("filename...

copying messages to multiple mailboxes
I've worked around this issue in a number of ways, and it's getting unwieldy and more complicated. So what I'm looking for is a "best method" solution. Exchange 5.5, Outlook 2000/2003 clients. I have a group of users who each need to receive the other's mail, incoming and outgoing. The kicker is they need to receive the message only once. So if I have three users for example, A, B and C, then I need the following: Message from X to A also gets copied to B and C. Message from C to A gets copied only B. The problem I've had most trouble with is a message from...

Finding an event

Microsoft Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE SAME SOFTWARE? Very, very disapointed. What information did you rely on to set your value expectation level that M04 was way different, indeed AUD$80 better, than M02? That might help explain it better than we can. "Paul Ward" <pbward@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:04b401c35bb8$b9fea7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just upgraded from Money 2002 to Money 2004. Can > somebody please explain why I just paid AUD$80 for THE > SAME SOFTWARE? > > Very, very disa...

Formula
Hi all, I am preparing an exam marksheet. In one cell, I add in this formula to check if a student pass or fail the whole exam. Condition ... the students must not get any "E" to pass the whole exam. =IF(OR(E7="E",G7="E",I7="E",K7="E",M7="E",O7="E",Q7="E",S7="E",U7="E",W7="E" ,Y7 ="E",AA7="E",AC7="E",AE7="E"),"Fail","Pass")) Now I want to change to another condition. The students must not get any "E", or "D&...

cannot find database

Simple division is not returning actual value
Hi, I know I'm making a mistake somewhere, just not sure where. I'm dividing 67/14 and want to get the result as 4.78 -- I'd be OK with 4.79 which is the result I'd get if the last digit was rounded up. When I do SELECT CAST((67/14) AS DECIMAL(3,2)) I'm getting 4.00. What am I doing wrong? -- Thanks, Sam This is because of integer division. Try this: SELECT 67/CAST(14 AS DECIMAL(5,2)) AS a, 67/14.0 AS b, 1.0 * 67/14 AS c, CAST(1.0 * 67/14 AS DECIMAL(3, 2)) AS d, ROUND(1.0 * 67/14, 2, 1) AS e; /* a b...

FORMULAS please help
Hi there I am trying to create a formula that refences <> numbers in a columm then adds up the from a different columm i.e add b1:b100 only if a1:a100 is >10000 <12000 =46 a b 10000 32 9000 64 12001 86 11999 14 9990 12 One way =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100>10000),--(A1:A10000<12000),B1:B10000) Regards, Peo sjoblom boogie wrote: > Hi there > I am trying to create a formula that refences <> numbers in a columm then > adds up the from a different columm > i.e add b1:b1...

Subform comparison of 2 tables excluding non zero value
I am creating a subform (at least that is what I am assuming would be best choice)(Access 2003/NT) in which the user will type in a Melt# (contained in the tblChemicalResults). I need to create a side by side comparison of the chemical requirements from the tblChemicalRequirements to the actual results contained in the tblChemicalResults, but I need it to exclude any non zero values from both tables. Each table contains all of the possible 14 different metal elements that could possibly go into making a particular part. Obviously, not all 14 go into every part, so how do I display only ...

Copying Formulas to rows
Hi All, I have created a book which has various formulas accross a row which are all worked out from figures in that row. But I cant figure how to make the whole sheet use these forumlas, i.e. when i start typing info on row 2 it uses the same formulas as on row 1. The only way I have worked out so far to do this is to copy and paste each row, but this is time consuming and im sure there must be a quicker way? Thanks in advance for your help. -- mdj101 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mdj101's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?a...

Linking contents of multiple cells to an external object
Hope I'm posting to the right forum. If not could someone please tell me where the appropriate place is. I've coded in Excel a register for a small college that allows the user to enter whether a student attended a particular subject. Each worksheet shows the whole class for a month, with students as rows & dates as columns & the subject appears in the cell. Totals appear on a seperate sheet. Where a student is absent there are a few alternative codes & on a seperate line room for a short comment. What is required is to automatically pull out the abscences on a separa...

Format only parts of a formula result?
I created a formula composed mostly of text, including a small formula. This formula: ="The products would be $"&ROUND(E28/1000,0)&"K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly," is intended to produce: The products would be $1335K but since new revenues are enabled almost instantly, Is there a way to BOLD or ITALICIZE the "$1335K" result but leave the other text unbolded? Scott -- sdubose99 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sdubose99's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action...

Losing cell borders when I copy and paste
When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. What am I doing wrong? Are you copying a bordered cell onto an un-bordered cell? Format from source will go with the source. If copying an unbordered cell onto a blank bordered cell, source format will wipe the target cell format. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:47:00 -0700, Davo <Davo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I copy and paste into a blank cell my borders from the cell dissapear. >What am I doing wrong? Try paste special -> Values. -- HTH, Barb Reinhardt &qu...

Excel - Array Formulas - Freeze
Hi all I have a big problem. It takes about 30 minutes to save my excel fil because I have many array formula: about 32 000! So do you have a ti to accelerate the computing process? Is a VBA function would do i faster? Here is an example of what I use: Col A contain unique numbers Sheet 1: Col A Col B Col C Row1 001 123 9i9 Row2 005 456 8u8 Row3 003 406 8ur etc... to +8000 In sheet 2, I have to check if the data exist in sheet 1. Col D contai Yes (data is in the sheet1) or No... Examples: Col D check if the data in Col B is the same in sheet 1 Col...

Requesting Help Ranking Sales Values.....
I have a field in a table named "Ext B/O" that lists the extended Backorder Value for parts sold. There may be duplicate values and they should show the same rankings. I would like to rank these totals from highest to lowest dollar value. I have tried the following query coding but I only get a count of the total number of records in the query for each record (49435) and NOT the individual ranking of the value. Rank: (Select Count(*) from [tbl_WorkingData] Where [Ext B/O] >= 0)+1 Can ANYONE please tell me what I am doing wrong and how to correct it? Th...