auto open message

Here is what I would like: Open the Excel file and the first thing I would
see is a message box that tells me what is located in cell u12
Thanks
pcor
0
pcor (148)

You can use a macro:

Option Explicit
Sub Auto_Open()
  msgbox thisworkbook.worksheets("Sheet9999").range("u12").text
End Sub

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> You can use a macro:
>
> Option Explicit
> Sub Auto_Open()
>   msgbox thisworkbook.worksheets("Sheet9999").range("u12").text
> End Sub
>
> If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
>
> pcor wrote:
> >
> > Here is what I would like: Open the Excel file and the first thing I would
> > see is a message box that tells me what is located in cell u12
> > Thanks
> > pcor
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
pcor (148)
9/18/2007 3:40:02 AM
Did you try Dave's Macro ??
It does exactly as you asked. It will display a formula result, date, number
etc.

HTH
Michael M

"pcor" wrote:

> Thanks for the VERY fast response but......
> location u12 is not text but a formula that displays a date
> Appreciate all the help
> pcor
>
> "Dave Peterson" wrote:
>
> > You can use a macro:
> >
> > Option Explicit
> > Sub Auto_Open()
> >   msgbox thisworkbook.worksheets("Sheet9999").range("u12").text
> > End Sub
> >
> > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
> >
> > pcor wrote:
> > >
> > > Here is what I would like: Open the Excel file and the first thing I would
> > > see is a message box that tells me what is located in cell u12
> > > Thanks
> > > pcor
> >
> > --
> >
> > Dave Peterson

0
MichaelM (40)
9/18/2007 6:44:01 AM
Just to add to Michael M's response...

..text tells excel to show what appears in the cell.

..value will return the value of the cell.  So if your cell contains a date that
contains a special format (maybe a long date:  mmmm dd, yyyy), you may really
want .text instead of .value.

--

Dave Peterson
0
"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Just to add to Michael M's response...
>
> ..text tells excel to show what appears in the cell.
>
> ..value will return the value of the cell.  So if your cell contains a date that
> contains a special format (maybe a long date:  mmmm dd, yyyy), you may really
> want .text instead of .value.
>

> pcor wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the VERY fast response but......
> > location u12 is not text but a formula that displays a date
> > Appreciate all the help
> > pcor
> >
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > You can use a macro:
> > >
> > > Option Explicit
> > > Sub Auto_Open()
> > >   msgbox thisworkbook.worksheets("Sheet9999").range("u12").text
> > > End Sub
> > >
> > > If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at:
> > > http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
pcor (148)
9/18/2007 11:34:04 PM
That's not the right location.

This code goes in a General module.

With your workbook's project selected
Insert|Module

Move the code there.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> That's not the right location.
>
> This code goes in a General module.
>
> With your workbook's project selected
> Insert|Module
>
> Move the code there.
>

> pcor wrote:
> >
> > Obviously I am doing something wrong.
> > Let me t3ell you what I am doing and you can tell me where I have gone wrong
> > Here is the macro as I copies it from the sheet
> > Sub Auto_Open()
> >   MsgBox ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("m6").text
> > End Sub
> > This code is located by right clicking on SHEET1/view code.
> > the file name is "pills.xlsm
> > Please help and thanks
> > pcor
> > "Dave Peterson" wrote:
> >
> > > Just to add to Michael M's response...
> > >
> > > ..text tells excel to show what appears in the cell.
> > >
> > > ..value will return the value of the cell.  So if your cell contains a date that
> > > contains a special format (maybe a long date:  mmmm dd, yyyy), you may really
> > > want .text instead of .value.

> > > --
> > >
> > > Dave Peterson
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
pcor (148)
9/19/2007 2:50:01 AM
Glad you got it working.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Excel 2007 painfully slow to open files
Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) files by double clicking either the file or a shortcut. If I have Excel open and go through the ribbon menu to open the file from within Excel it opens immediately - it is only slow when opening a file via shortcut or double clicking the file with Excel closed. Is there a fix for this? Wowbagger wrote: > Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am > finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) f...

I cannot open Publisher
Can anyone tell me why I suddenly cannot even open Publisher. I continue to get a message that reads "Windows is low on memory or your hard disk is full" on and on when I try to open Publisher. I have not been able to find any information on the support pages regarding this particular message. After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from skiefer <lvcfstscott@enter.net>... > Can anyone tell me why I suddenly cannot even open > Publisher. I continue to get a message that > reads "Windows is low on memory or your hard disk is f...

Move messages from Inbox after X number of days
Hi, Does anyone have an Exchange Server script that you could send me whose purpose is to check messages in the Inbox and if they are X many days old to move them to another folder under the Inbox on the Exchange server. I'm using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2003. Thanks. Dominic dominic.martin@dtrack.com <dominic.martin@dtrack.com> wrote: > Does anyone have an Exchange Server script that you could send me > whose purpose is to check messages in the Inbox and if they are X > many days old to move them to another folder under the Inbox on the > Exchange server. I'm ...

Hide Outlook messages error
Hi, is it possible to hide the error window for a particular internet account. I've this problem: an internal POP3 mail server doesn't support shared access to a single mailbox. This mailbox is needed to receive faxes and all user check this mailbox every 2 minutes. The problem (for users work) is raised when the error window appear too many times in a day... May is it possible to hide this windows via registry settings or other else? thanks in advance. Massimo Artini No, not possible. Better is to lower the frequency users check the mailbox. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-O...

Can't open hyperlink in Outlook Express
Hello friends. My father-in-law (80+ yrs. old) can't open any hyperlinks in e-mails. I'm trying to help, but have no clue. Is it something in his security settings in Outlook Express? I know the links work because I'm sending them to him in e-mails. I can click on my sent message and the hyperlink works fine. Thanks for any help. ...

Deleting Duplicate messages
Somehow, I managed to copy a thousand or so messages twice into my Inbox. Does anyone have a quick way to delete the duplicates? Bill I have exactly the same problem, only with several thousand messages. I tried to export the messages to another .pst file with the "do not export duplicates" option set, but it did not work. I also tried to export to another format such as Excel or Access, but it stripped out the attachments. Watching this thread closely..... Cheers, "Bill M" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017f01c3a6fc$07c7a640$a3...

Open the Linked Table Manager from Button (?)
Is there a way to open the Linked Table Manager from a button click? -- Thanks, croy croy wrote: >Is there a way to open the Linked Table Manager from a >button click? DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdLinkedTableManager Even if that does what you ask, you should never expose thw link table manager to users. If they are not experts in linking tables, they can make a serious mess of things. Way better for you to use code to do the (re)linking based on a user selected file path. To select file/path see: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm Then to relink the ta...

Open Transactions
I recently created an invoic and posted the transaction. Then I created a payment and posted the payment. The payment still appears as Open. When I run an aged trial balance this transaction still appears as open. I figured out part of the problem. When I made the payment I did not apply the invoice to the payment. If I try to apply the invoice to the payment GP will not allow me because I'm using a posting date of a closed period in December. "Jason" wrote: > I recently created an invoic and posted the transaction. Then I created a > payment and posted the pa...

Problem opening office xp excel files
Hi all, I have office xp and when I click on an excel file, Excel will run bu it doesn't open the file, it leaves it empty and gray. Problem goe away if I do file, open, filename. Can anybody help? This problem happens to all my excel files, not just a particular one Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Tools / Options / General / If 'Ignore other Applications' is checked then uncheck it. -- Regards Ken..........................

Fowarding all messages outside of the domain?
I have two users that want their mail that come to their exchange mailbox to foward to an external email account. Where is the option to do this on the server side? They will not have their outlook open all the time, so i dont know how to do it. Thanks in advance, Dan What is the version of you Exchange? -- Jorge Patricio D�az Guzm�n MCP http://www.itpro.cl This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Dan Cooper" <DanCooper@discussions.microsoft.com> escribi� en el mensaje news:5FEB72E1-2122-4531-BC8C-C3EB6C34C161@microsoft...

I pasted the message below!
OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module <unknown> at 0000:1000a01e. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=0187 EIP=1000a01e EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00000000 SS=018f ESP=0056f994 EBP=02c44244 ECX=00674894 DS=018f ESI=02c44240 FS=500f EDX=00585958 ES=018f EDI=00000000 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: Stack dump: 02c44240 00000001 02d50540 1000c864 00000000 02d50210 10007e57 02c44240 00000000 00000000 3a8d9a50 010130b8 00000000 10027a7c b65ad801 11d0abaf -- Have a great day, Ed Patterson I'm afraid that does no good. What version of Outlook do you have? What were you doing when this happened? Do...

Problem receiveng my Yahoo messages
This is what I get when i try to get my mail, what am I doing wrong?!? ERROR Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR [SYS/PERM] pop not allowed for user.', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92 Did those settings ever work for you? Do you have a free Yahoo account or a paid one?=20 US-based free Yahoo accounts have webmail access only, no POP access.=20 Windows Mail handles POP mail but not Yahoo webmail.=20 Yahoo's solution is to pay them for prem...

Open workbook without running Workbook_Open Event
I'm using Excel 2007. How do I open a workbook (the workbook is a .xls 97-2003 format) WITHOUT running the Workbook_Open event? I tried holding down the SHIFT key while opening as this worked in previous versions of Excel, but the event still runs (unfortunately, there is an ActiveWorkbook.Close at the end of my code so I can't get in to modify it :( I'm sure there is a simple way to do this in 2007 but I do not know it. Thanks for the help. Hi Domenick I read more about this problem Works OK for me when I use Office Button>Open and hold the Shift key Chang...

how do I turn off requesting scan when opening Excel (Office XP)
Whenever I start Excel, it takes awhile as a message appears in the status line indicating "requesting virus scan". I have three trusted add-ins which I use which contain macros, and have reduced macro security level to "lowest", but cannot stop this action from occurring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the Office Plugin that comes with it. See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more information. ch...

Best Way to Manage Auto Lease in Money 2006
Which is the best way to set up the account since there is no interest because it is a lease and no asset since you don't own the car? Not as a loan. Just set it up as a scheduled Automobile:Lease Payments expense since that's what it is. Pure Expense. What would the point of the loan be? "flinstrot" <flinstrot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA4B7867-8F2C-4726-89DD-2A512EDF60D3@microsoft.com... > Which is the best way to set up the account since there is no interest > because it is a lease and no asset since you don't own the car? ...

OL2007
Running OL2007 SP2 under Vista Home Premium SP2. It appears that when I'm replying to a plain text message, editing functions (bold, underline, etc) are disabled. Is there a way to enable them? You'd need to switch to HTML format - plain text is, well, plain text. That means no formatting. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchan...

Changing view of a new mail message
If you are having problems with the view when composing new messages in Outlook and font is to large try this: Open new message, go to Tab that says format text, then on the menu on the top you will see a zoom button. Click on zoom button and decrease size of zoom. ...

new message
My messages automatically open, how can i close this screen If you're talking about the Preview Pane or Reading Pane, you can turn it off via the View menu. Your messages aren't really being "opened" in this pane -- just previewed. However, depending on your Outlook version and how well (or not well) your copies of Windows/Internet Explorer are patched with the latest updates, certain types of viruses can be triggered just by previewing a message. (Of course, if you don't have the preview pane on and you open the message, you're no safer than if you had previewe...

Messages showing up as enclosures?
Hi - When I send messages from my office email (Outlook 2000, Exchange 2000) to 2 specific people, my messages show up as an enclosure or an attachment to a message. Any attachments I had sent are gone. When I send that same message to others, including my personal email address, they are fine. They both use Outlook, one uses 2000, not sure about the other. Also, if I paste a table from Word into the email, they see a string of text, the table is gone. Any suggestions as to what I can look for to fix this? Thanks - Brian ...

exporting and importing messages in Outlook 2002
I would like to restore my hard drive on my computer, and would like to export my Outlook messages to a file so I can import them again when my hard drive is reconfigured. When I use the typical import/export wizard, I lose the dates of my e-mails. When the messages are imported back to Outlook, they show up with the date as "None". Is there any way to get around this? Thanks. ...

outlook 2007 does not open
Good Morning, I downloaded the trial version of outlook 2007. I had the previous version of outlook on my computer. I run windows xp on a dell. When I click on the desktop icon for outlook it opens for a moment then the windows disappear. Outlook 2007 seems to be accessible through other programs, but I cannot get it to open by itself. I have run the repair wizard on all both outlook programs and I even reinstalled the previous outlook version from the disc that came with my computer. I can't seem to fine that version on my computer at all. I use Firefox as my browser and outlook...

How can I open Posted and Open transactions in one single SmartLis
I want to replace the Sales Transaction SmartList with my own because when we use Extender fields, the Sales Transaction SL becomes way TOO slow. I am able to create faster SmartLists through SQL Views, however, I can only have one type of document status opened in one single SmartList: Open (Sales Transaction Entry window) or Posted (Sales Transaction Inquiry Zoom). The Sales Transactions SmartList allows to open both types from the same list. My users liked the faster SmartLists, but they didnt like that they need to lookup in 2 SmartLists when they don't know if something is open...

Saving or Opening in Active Directory
We have a Windows 2000 Domain SP3 with Active Directory Installed. I am trying to open a file located in Active Directory. I can get to Network Places, Directory icon, and then then domain name, and then the Organizational Unit but then it is blank. The folders under the OU are not showing up. If I browse through the directory in Windows Explorer, they are there and I can open the file. It doesn't matter whether I'm logged in with Admin rights to the domain or just a normal user. Any ideas? Thanks! Kathy In the Open Dialogue screen try changing the File Type to All Fi...

opening older/newer files
my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS luhkeekid <luhkeekid@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > my Publisher 2000 wil not open files from a different version, but my > other versions will-is there a plug-in or patch for this-THANKS No, there is no plugin or patch. Publisher 2000 will not open files from Publisher 2002 or 2003, or Publisher 1.0. Publisher 2002 and 2003 will open files from all versions of Publisher apart from 1.0. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Micro...

To auto-generate top 3 name list
Dear all, see any body can help ! I have a list with expenses list by a group of employees for the week: _Day_ _Staff__ _Claim_Amount_1 1 A 10 2 B 10 2 A 10 3 B 10 3 A 10 4 C 10 4 D 5 5 E 5 5 ...