auto number

I was wondering how to go about setting up a work sheet to so as soon as I
click in the first row that I will be adding data it would automaticly mark
that row Number 1 and when I enter new data in the second row it
automatically puts in 2, and so on? Thanks
--
Eddie
0

Hi Eddie - Try this:  (Excel 2003)

You don;'t give much info about how your spreadsheet is set up so try this:

Let's assume you have all of your field names in the first row and the A col
will hold the auto number.

1.  In a2 type: =cell("row",a2)
2.  Select Data from the menu
3.  Select Form from the drop down menu.  A form will display.  Start typing
in your data.

In order for this to work at all times you must place your cell pointer
anywhere in your list of data and then follw steps 2 and 3.

Id this helps, please press Yes

John

"Eddie" wrote:

> I was wondering how to go about setting up a work sheet to so as soon as I
> click in the first row that I will be adding data it would automaticly mark
> that row Number 1 and when I enter new data in the second row it
> automatically puts in 2, and so on? Thanks
> --
> Eddie
0
jcs (6)
8/3/2009 7:28:12 PM
I did what you said but the result was 1 number in that one cell. What I
would like to do and may not have been too clear the entire first column is
for a sequencial number going down each column has data in it after that but
the first column is for the number like
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
and so on and the cell info would not change it is just a numbered spot for
that data in the row. Example

#            NAME            DATE            TIME            PLACE

1.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
2.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
3.
Just like that nothing fancy just a sequencial number
--
Eddie

"Eddie" wrote:

> I was wondering how to go about setting up a work sheet to so as soon as I
> click in the first row that I will be adding data it would automaticly mark
> that row Number 1 and when I enter new data in the second row it
> automatically puts in 2, and so on? Thanks
> --
> Eddie
0
image12 (3)
8/4/2009 10:44:01 AM
Hi Eddie,

Try this formula instead...
=N(OFFSET(A2,-1,0))+1  (where A2 is the cell's own address)

Note that this formula will not be 'automatically' added to each row. You'd
need a macro to do that. You'll have to copy this formula down the column.
However you can get a similar effect by using
=IF(B2<>"",N(OFFSET(A2,-1,0))+1,"") and copying it down column A. If the cell
in column B is blank, nothing will show. If the cell in column B is not
blank, the next sequence number will display.

If you want the next sequence # to display AFTER the last row of data, use
B1 in the second formula instead of B2.

Hope this helps.

Francis Hayes

I have lots more tips available at...
www.TheExcelAddict.com

"Eddie" wrote:

> I did what you said but the result was 1 number in that one cell. What I
> would like to do and may not have been too clear the entire first column is
> for a sequencial number going down each column has data in it after that but
> the first column is for the number like
> 1.
> 2.
> 3.
> 4.
> 5.
> 6.
> and so on and the cell info would not change it is just a numbered spot for
> that data in the row. Example
>
> #            NAME            DATE            TIME            PLACE
>
> 1.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
> 2.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
> 3.
> Just like that nothing fancy just a sequencial number
> --
> Eddie
>

> "Eddie" wrote:
>
> > I was wondering how to go about setting up a work sheet to so as soon as I
> > click in the first row that I will be adding data it would automaticly mark
> > that row Number 1 and when I enter new data in the second row it
> > automatically puts in 2, and so on? Thanks
> > --
> > Eddie
0
befrank (2)
8/4/2009 2:53:01 PM
Hey Guys that was right on that is what I was trying to do, it has been so
long since I had been away from the program I did not realize that I had to
pull the handle down to the cell that I needed in order to fulfill the
compleation of the function. thanks again I also signed up for your
newsletter. Thanks again, Eddie
--
Eddie

"Frank" wrote:

> Hi Eddie,
>
> Try this formula instead...
> =N(OFFSET(A2,-1,0))+1  (where A2 is the cell's own address)
>
> Note that this formula will not be 'automatically' added to each row. You'd
> need a macro to do that. You'll have to copy this formula down the column.
> However you can get a similar effect by using
> =IF(B2<>"",N(OFFSET(A2,-1,0))+1,"") and copying it down column A. If the cell
> in column B is blank, nothing will show. If the cell in column B is not
> blank, the next sequence number will display.
>
> If you want the next sequence # to display AFTER the last row of data, use
> B1 in the second formula instead of B2.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Francis Hayes
>
> I have lots more tips available at...
> www.TheExcelAddict.com
>

> "Eddie" wrote:
>
> > I did what you said but the result was 1 number in that one cell. What I
> > would like to do and may not have been too clear the entire first column is
> > for a sequencial number going down each column has data in it after that but
> > the first column is for the number like
> > 1.
> > 2.
> > 3.
> > 4.
> > 5.
> > 6.
> > and so on and the cell info would not change it is just a numbered spot for
> > that data in the row. Example
> >
> > #            NAME            DATE            TIME            PLACE
> >
> > 1.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
> > 2.            xxxxxxx         xxxxxxx         xx:xx             xxxxxx
> > 3.
> > Just like that nothing fancy just a sequencial number
> > --
> > Eddie
> >

> > "Eddie" wrote:
> >
> > > I was wondering how to go about setting up a work sheet to so as soon as I
> > > click in the first row that I will be adding data it would automaticly mark
> > > that row Number 1 and when I enter new data in the second row it
> > > automatically puts in 2, and so on? Thanks
> > > --
> > > Eddie
0
image12 (3)

consective numbering
I use an excel spreadsheet to do monthly invoicing and would like to be able to consectively have a invoice number each time I prepare a new invoice. Is this possible in excel? See this: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8AE03354-EE7C-4E0C-A86B-0566BB217BA2@microsoft.com... >I use an excel spreadsheet to do monthly invoicing and would like to be >able > to consectively have a invoice number each time I prepare a new invoice. >...

Insert "name" and "auto ID" into tables by using a form
I have a table: ID Name Nationality 101 Allen Taiwan 102 Sarah USA 103 Steve Japan ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I'd like to create a form with the following objects -- 2 textboxes (putting name and Nationality) -- a button (when i press it, it will insert values in the 2 textboxes into my database) ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Big thanks in advance , experts ! -- Allen Phailat Wongakanit Actually, you don't need any code at a...

Primary Key names. (with random ?? numbers in them).
Dear reader, For primairy key names I was (and still am) used to names like : 1. PK_<table_name> Now I have a database which has primairy keys with double underscores and names like : 2. PK__<table_name>__<number> There are two underscores and a large number. When scripting (database or table): The name from 1 appears in the script. The name from 2 does not appear in the script and a similar name with a different number is generated when the script is executed. My problem, if I do not have control over the names of objects, it becomes difficult to ma...

Why do I have to read and type curvy numbers before sending emails
I have an msn email and one day I suddenly was required to read a box of distorted numbers and letters and type them before being allowed to send my email. Can I disable that? It's so spam can't be sent from our computer, but it is a home computer and I have yet to send any spam. "darrsaka" <darrsaka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68C9DF71-20C3-4AE2-8EA8-5A664315AF32@microsoft.com... > I have an msn email and one day I suddenly was required to read a box of > distorted numbers and letters and type them before being allowed to se...

Selective increase of numbers when pasting
Hi, if i have a formula with multiple cell numbers (ex: IF(A1=B1, A1) ) an i try to copy this formula to multiple cells by dragging from that cel down, it automatically adds +1 to each number. so the next ones would read IF(A2=B2, A2), IF (A3=B3, A3), and so on. How do i make it so only some of the numbers are increased? if i wan each A cell to compare to B1, i don't want B1 increased, but i want th A cells increased. my actual formula is a lot longer, i just picked a simple formula as a example, but same idea. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Take a look at &...

How do I keep my zip code column from rounding the number up?
I have unlocked the sheet, set the decimal point to 0 . How can I keep the system from rounding up my zip from 77598 to 776? Two ways: 1. Format/Cells/Text 2. Format/Cells/Special/Zip Code Take your pick. Dee Wrote: > I have unlocked the sheet, set the decimal point to 0 . How can I kee > the > system from rounding up my zip from 77598 to 776 -- BenjieLo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php...

(auto) archive problems
Some outlook 2003 clients don't archive either automatically or manually. I set one today to move Inbox items older than 2 months to H:\mail\archive.pst. That failed so I manually said archive everything older than March 1, 20006. Same failure. I just now manually told it to archive files older that 2/28/06 to a new file. It created the file and the folder structure, but copied no mail. The inbox currently has mail dated back to january 06. So I'm wondering if there's a confusion as to the time stamps on mail. Does archive use something other than that which appears in ...

Letters and 000s in front of actual number not sorting correctly
When sorting numbers in excell with letter in front and then zeros, I don't get the expected results. The Macintosh OSX finder views the numbers correctly, but I can't seem to get the same results in excel. Can this even be done in excel? Excell sort CA0002 CA00020 CA0021 CA02 CA021 CA02C CA2 Needs to be CA0002 CA02 CA02C CA2 CA00020 CA0021 CA021 -- darkjedi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ darkjedi's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29153 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?...

String and number manipulation
Hi, I have written some code which in turn write some other code. However, I am evaluating cells for heading and numbers, once found each number indicates a particular variable for the new code. the problem I having is that in 90% of the cases the numbers are simply 5 digits long and can easily be stored as a normal variable. I am having problems however, in the other 10% of cases where there are two or three of these numbers which are seprated by a '/'. To make life easier these numbers are always going to be 5 digits long. Can anyone help me to split these number up. My ...

How to change numbers from positive to negative.
not sure if there is an easy way to do this other than physically rekeying the number. is there a formula or something for me to use to change a number from being positive to negative? example: 262.00 change to -262.00 or vice versa change from negative to positive. thanks --Enter -1 in a cell. Copy the cell --Keeping the copy select the number range --Right click>PasteSpecial>select 'Multiply' and click OK -- Jacob "tammy p" wrote: > not sure if there is an easy way to do this other than physically rekeying > the number. is there a f...

edit number in cell without it changing to text
I recently upgraded from Office 97 to Office 2000. In a worksheet I was previously able to hit F2 to edit a number, hit the + or - to add or subtract from the original number. The revised total would show when I hit enter. Now the number changes to text and shows as 1+1 instead of 2. There needs to be an equal sign preceeding the 1+1. After hitting F2, hit the home key to put the curson on the left of the existing number value in the cell then enter "=1+" so you end up with "=1+1" (e.g.). - Will "rklremote" wrote: > I recently upgraded from Office 9...

Leased autos
In the fixed asset module, one can pick the "type" of asset (new, used, leased). We have leased autos. Is anyone using the "leased" option & for what purpose? Can you tell me how you are using it. It might be a good way to track leased autos, but there is no asset cost to record. Thanks Merle A true lease is a long term rental agreement and not a purchase document. Most Leasing companies "abandon" the property to the lessee at the end of the term or sell it at a low disposal rate. Thus for leases, you have no asset value. If your "lease&quo...

random numbers / superbowl pool
I am trying to create a superbowl pool spreadsheet. You've seen them a superbowl parties or at the office. The 10x10 classic spreadshee using the numbers 0-9 along the left-most column, and 0-9 across th top row. I need the numbers 0-9 to be randomly generated. Does anyon have any ideas for this spreadsheet -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Don't know anything about Superbowl but here's a formula that will create a random number between 1-9 =INT(RAND()*(10-1)+1) it will recalculate so once you get a value, select the formula in the formula bar and press F9 a...

Public Function for Round up Numbers
Rather that placing the code Round([MyField],2) in all the currency fields that may go the 0.000 three places would a Public function resolve that problem. and If so How would the code be written? No. You need to use Round() in the AfterUpdate event procedure of any control where you think the user might enter more than 2 digits. Or use Round() around the expression if you are assigning values to a field, or around an expresion in your query. Use an Update query to fix up any existing fields that might already contain unrounded values. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western A...

How to find number of selected files in CFileDialog
hi friends, if any one can tell me how to find the no. of selected files in CFiledialog before traversing the whole list of filename through POSITION data structure. Regards ravi in short, no. But why not just traverse the list once keeping a count then traverse again and do whatever you need to with the selections. I presume you need the total in order to prime some other variable. BTW if you're worried about the overhead of traversing twice, forget it. In comparison to the time it took the user to click on the files its' miniscule. Even compared to the time it took for ...

how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ?
how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? You can't. Why would you? The Outlook Address Book is only a list of electronic addresses to which you can address messages. Why would you need a phone number there? Phone numbers, like all Contact data, are stored in your Contacts Folder. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ingaga" <Ingaga @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2C2224F0-0E8B-4E20-A2AC-200B044053FD@microsoft.com... > how do i add my phone number to outlook address book ? What in the world is the purpse of the Outlook address book whe...

auto add "1" to end of value
i have 2 cells in my worksheet that i want a "1" to be added at the end of whatever i type in the cell. for example, i type a value of "los angeles" in a1. i want to see "los angeles1" in the cell a1 any help would be appreciated In cell A2 type "1". In cell A3 type "=A1&A2" That should work. >-----Original Message----- >i have 2 cells in my worksheet that i want a "1" to be added at the end of >whatever i type in the cell. > >for example, > >i type a value of "los angeles" in a1. i want ...

Reference a Cell for Row Number
I'm trying see the correlation of a set of numbers but would like to change the start and end dates easily. Rather than manually changing the formula, I'd like to have two reference cells where I can type the beginning and end cells or row number. Maybe a simpler explantation: is it possible to create a sum function (say =sum(A1:A10)) however, I'd like to have two cells that the formula references to check what rows to start and end at (If there is a 1 and a 10, it sums A1 to A10; if there is a 3 and a 8, it sums A3 to A8)? Doug wrote... .... >Maybe a simpler explantation: is ...

auto numbering in a table
I have a table with a column using auto numbering for itentification purposes. Now I want to sort it, having the numbers stay the same but I want to turn off the auto numbering. When I do the numbers go away. Anyway to do this? You can convert numbers to text. Select the relevant column and then do the following: Press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type Selection.Range.ListFormat.convertnumberstotext and press Enter. Numbering will be removed from the selected column. (Note that if numbering was applied v...

csv, how to set excel to auto load
I want to double click on a .csv file and have it automatically load in to excel 2007. Currently it opens it and puts all the data in column A. If I close it and use data import all is fine. Ridiculous for people to send me .csv files. I have to save first them data import. Another way? Add-in? ~Gina_M~ have them send you REAL .csv files. CSV stands for "Comma Separated Values". Gina_Marano wrote: > I want to double click on a .csv file and have it automatically load > in to excel 2007. > > Currently it opens it and puts all the data in column A. I...

Auto Reply Out of Office
How do I set up up this feature. Is it available in Outlook Express? No, it isn't available in OE, and even in Outlook it requires Exchange server. Check with your ISP to see if they offer this feature - many do, controlled through their webmail interface. In the future, note: This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these ...

Auto Population Of Names When Composing E-Mail
All - I have a wierd question...I have a user that is using Outlook 2003 and she sends a fair amount of email. I know that once you send a message to someone, Outlook "remembers" it so that if you send another message to them, all you have to do is start typing their name in the To box and it will show the name and email address. Her problem is that about once a month, she loses all of the names Outlook has "remembered". Anyone know why this would be happening and how to keep it from losing the remembered addresses? Thanks. Jeff If you head on over to the Sl...

Number Formatting
All cells in any - new or old - worksheet seem formatted to enter numbers as "decimal number number number" as .22. I am unable to enter just a simple two or three digit number without a decimal place, unless I enter four digits and delete the zeros. I want to be able to get rid of the decimal. I've tried Format Cells till I'm blue, to no avail. What am I doiing wrong, and how did this formatting get entered? Please help! ORO Tools>Options>Edit. Un-check "fixed decimal places". Accountants like this setting, but the rest of us don't use it. Gord...

Category axis for negative numbers
I have created a column graph that consists of all negative numbers. How do I get the category axis above the 0 mark. Since all the numbers are negative, the category descriptions are appearing in the upper middle of the graph and not outside the graph. Andrea - Double click on the axis, click on the Patterns tab. Select the High or Low option for Category Labels (bottom right of the dialog). - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ _______ Andrea wrote: > I have created a column graph that consists of all &g...

Mac 98 Word page numbers
The page number command has disappeared from insert command. How to reinstall it? ...