Auto input data on one sheet based on row selected in another shee

Hi all,

I have a worksheet that contains rows of data.  I also have setup a 'form'
(in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet.  What I want to do
is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and automatically
fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it.

Is that possible?  If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that
would do it?

Thanks,
CW

Something like =Sheet!A1 should work
Best way is: type =, open the other sheet and click the cell; press Enter
Key or click green check mark on Formula bar
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cheese_whiz" <Cheesewhiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have a worksheet that contains rows of data.  I also have setup a 'form'
> (in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet.  What I want to
> do
> is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and
> automatically
> fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it.
>
> Is that possible?  If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that
> would do it?
>
> Thanks,
> CW

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
11/26/2007 9:53:07 PM
See help on VLOOKUP formulas to be entered on your "form" sheet.

Or go to Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and a sample workbook..

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:58:00 -0800, Cheese_whiz
<Cheesewhiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I have a worksheet that contains rows of data.  I also have setup a 'form'
>(in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet.  What I want to do
>is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and automatically
>fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it.
>
>Is that possible?  If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that
>would do it?
>
>Thanks,
>CW

0
Gord
11/26/2007 10:11:54 PM
Thanks for the reply.

The problem I'm having is that the formula isn't based on a particular cell,
but based on the value of the intersection of a column and row where the row
is always changing.

That's why I was trying to find out whether or not a 'selected' row  (read:
a row that has been selected by clicking it's row number) could somehow be
referenced in either a formula or possibly in vba.

What I wanted to do was get the value from 'the A column of the selected row
on sheet 1'.  I know it's a stretch, but in access vba you can identify
controls as being selected or not...

Thanks again,
CW

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Something like =Sheet!A1 should work
> Best way is: type =, open the other sheet and click the cell; press Enter
> Key or click green check mark on Formula bar
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Cheese_whiz" <Cheesewhiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a worksheet that contains rows of data.  I also have setup a 'form'
> > (in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet.  What I want to
> > do
> > is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and
> > automatically
> > fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it.
> >
> > Is that possible?  If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that
> > would do it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > CW

Thanks for the reply.

I'll take a look at it.  Thanks for the link.
CW

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> See help on VLOOKUP formulas to be entered on your "form" sheet.
>
> Or go to Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and a sample workbook..
>
> http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html
>

> Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:58:00 -0800, Cheese_whiz
> <Cheesewhiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I have a worksheet that contains rows of data.  I also have setup a 'form'
> >(in the general sense of the word) on another worksheet.  What I want to do
> >is take data from the selected row on the first worksheet and automatically
> >fill cells on that second worksheet (the 'form') with it.
> >
> >Is that possible?  If so, can someone give me an example of a formula that
> >would do it?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >CW

Sum based on multiple conditions
I have Column A with a "stage" in it that will range from 1 - 8 I have column B with a "close date" in it that could be any date I have column C with a value in it. I need the sum of the values in C that have Close dates in any given range (ex. 10/1/2004 through 10/31/2004), that are in any given sales stage. I tried using SUMIF which seems to only work with 1 condition...so I can do =SUMIF(AA,1,CC) and it will give me the sum of the values that are in stage 1. SUMIF doesn't appear to work with ranges or multiple conditions though. =SUMPRODUCT((C1:C100>="...

Auto Filter problem

Auto-Editing

How to copy specific columns until end of data
I'm trying to import data from 2 workbooks into a summary (combination) workbook. The trouble I'm having, is I want to import only certain columns and have excel know to stop at the last row with data. For example, from Workbook1 I want to import columns A, B, C, F, and G (from Sheet2). I want it to copy up to the last row containing any data--right now that's row 1046, but next month it could be row 1267. In workbook2 I'm fine with it copying the CurrentRegion--all columns are important. BUT, it doesn't include the title/category heads in the first row (Salesperson, ...

showing data values on chart
in excel when mouse stand on chart,excel is showing the data values of that point.how can to do this action in access? Exactly the same. When you hover the mouse over a data point for a little amount of time, a yellow bow should come up describing what's in your data point. -- Regards, Steve "afshin" wrote: > in excel when mouse stand on chart,excel is showing the data values of that > point.how can to do this action in access? Where you insert chart?i insert chart on report,and i can't to see data value on data point. "Steve"...

Calc Field to list invoices paid by same check on one line of repo
Hi I have a customer who wanted a check dump file to send to their bank. Once the bank receives the file (in txt or tab delimited), they will use the infomration to actually print the checks for the customer. (This is not a positive pay file situation.) I was able to take one of the check forms and modify it to get all the data required by the bank. I am running into a snafu with getting it down to one line per check with multiple invoices listed one one line. It is listing the total check and one line per each invoice paid by the check: Example: Ck 2345 for $800.00 -...

Calculation of weather data help
Hi, I have a data file (at http://www.weatherweb.net/cliall.dat) which contains daily weather data from 1881 in the format: dd,mm,yy,max temp,min temp, rainfall, sunshine, wind speed, wind gust, pressure What I would like to do is to calculate means for max, min, wind speed, wind gust and pressure, and also total rainfall and sunshine for each month. I would like the output in the format: mm,yy,mean meax, mean min, total rain, total sunshine, mean wind, mean wind gust, mean pressure Can anyone give any assistance as to how I might do this in excel to create a sngle file contain all th...

Auto-Calculate

auto copy self

Access 1.1 Data Base Migration to Access 2002
I have an older IBM Activa running Access 1.1 under Win 95, with a single 10 columns x 950 records table. I also have a new Dell running XP and XP Professional. There is no physical connection between the two PCs. I am told by Microsoft Support that only Access 97 (release 8.0), and later, are suported by Access 2002. I really do not want to retype all that data for this wine cellar inventory! If I could get a copy of the Access 97 upgrade CD, I could upgrade the old 1.1 to 8.0, and then migrate the file to Access 2002 on the Dell. I would then kill the old Access, return the C...

Auto correct or Auto complete

Extracting data from workbooks. Help.
hello I have a situation where there are several workbooks, of variable name, contained within a folder on my hard drive. I have a master workbook in a folder higher up the same directory tree that I want to use to gather information from the other workbooks of variable names. The cell, A1, that I am interested in is on sheet "OnCall" in each of the workbooks of variable name. Is there any way that I can open the master workbook and then automatically extract the data from cell A1 in each of the other variable name workbooks? I hope that as clearer than mud? hopefully Tom Here&...

OWA auto login

question about data from excel to work
I am trying to take input from an excel sheet and mailmerge it to word....the thing is I want to make it so from here on out ..if I change something in the excel sheet it automatically updates on word as well..if not a mail merger what can I use ? -- Pooja Kamdar Hi Pooja Kamdar, You can link the Word document to the Excel workbook, so that any changes in the Excel workbook will be reflected in the Word document. To do this: 1. copy the source range in the Excel workbook 2. in the Word document, use Edit|Paste Special > Paste Link and choose the paste format you wan...

merge results of many records on one page
I want to merge many records as consecutive lines on a page as opposed to each page representing a single record. Thus turning Publisher into a report writing tool. I have no difficulty merging labels and standard type letters etc using mail merge from Access or Excel as the data source. Setup your page the same way you would labels. If you want 30 records per page with a ..5 margin all around, divide 10 inches by 30, setup your custom page, 7.5 x 0.34. With a text box this narrow you will have to change the font size and set the text box top and bottom margin to zero. Do some experime...

Auto look through subfolders

An auto reply to an auto reply!

Data validation with a cell value linked to the same cell.
I Think that my post name is very confusing but I'll explain. I�m doing a data validation in cell f1 usig the data validation option the value entered in cell f1 need to be equal or greatter than th value in cell b2 and cell b2 is calculated with the formula =a2+c4-f1. What I'm trying to do is to prevent to enter a value in cell f1 tha I'll make cell b2 negative. But its not working, any suggetsions??? Thanks. Rodolf -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Change your CF criterion to Formula is = F1 <= (A2+C4) In article <rodolform.161w07@excelforum-n...

Deleting Data
I could really use some help here. I need to delete data without deleting formulas. I don't want to have to do it on a cell by cell basis. I would like to be able to select the entire sheet and then click a button like "clear contents" but leave all formulas and formats. Thanks Joel jnmobley@att.net Joel Select a cell on the sheet and go to Edit>Go to...>Special>Constants and press the delete button -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Joel" <jnmobley@worldnet.att.net> wrote in ...

Auto date

Date selection criteria expression help needed
i have a database with dates listed as the general date (date and time). some of the cells have null (empty) values. I would like to query for null values and today's date expressed as a long date (mm/dd/yyyy). I am having trouble. any help would be greatly appreciated. Field: YourDateField Criteria: Is Null Or = Date() OR Field: YourDateField Criteria (Line1): Is Null Criteria (Line2): = Date() '==================================================== John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2008 Center for Health Program Development and Management University of Maryland B...

How do I change the links in Excel at one batch?
Hi all, Good day! Please help me with the following issue: How do I do the following in Excel? Suppose in an Excel sheet there are lots of links, linking the cell to other sheets, There are millions of such links, how do I change the links to another sheet name at one batch? I hope there is a "Find/Replace" for these links? Thanks a lot! Saved from a previous post: If you used Insert|Hyperlink, then you've noticed that edit|replace won't touch those hyperlink addresses. If you used Insert|hyperlink (xl2003 menus), you'll have more work...

Auto-Alphabetize