Alphabetizing text

I am new to exel and have no clue as how to enter a formula or which one to
use. I want to put in a big directory with dept. names and their new
extensions. Then I want it alphabetized only. Any help would be appreciated
especialli in lame man terms.
Thanks,
Barb
0
Barb (39)

It's easier if you have headers, then just select the whole range and do
data > sort and sort ascending by the dep names ( I assume)

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am new to exel and have no clue as how to enter a formula or which one to
> use. I want to put in a big directory with dept. names and their new
> extensions. Then I want it alphabetized only. Any help would be
> appreciated
> especialli in lame man terms.
> Thanks,
> Barb

0
terre081 (3244)
9/13/2007 3:38:23 AM
Hi Barb,
If you are new to Excel, you are probably not aware of the potential
for destroying your data with a sort if you fail to select ALL cells first.
Before invoking the sort select all cells on the worksheet by
using  Ctrl+A (3 times in Excel 2007, 2 times in Excel 2002).
Safest to use the Sort from the Data menu, and indicate there
whether you have headers or not (so you don't sort the headers as data).
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/shortx2k.htm#foobar

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,  Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Peo Sjoblom" <terre08@mvps.org> wrote in message news:uQpmUeb9HHA.5980@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> It's easier if you have headers, then just select the whole range and do
> data > sort and sort ascending by the dep names ( I assume)
>
> "Barb" <Barb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote ...
>>I am new to Excel and have no clue as how to enter a formula or which one to
>> use.  I want to put in a big directory with dept. names and their new
>> extensions. Then I want it alphabetized only. Any help would be
>> appreciated  especially inlame man terms.

Irregular Text Shapes
I have a problem doing something that seems like it should be simple, but it's got me stumped. I'm formatting a book in Publisher 2007. I've used PageMaker in the past, but my version is now too old (PM65) and since Publisher came with my Office suite I thought I'd give it a try rather than spending $$$ for the Adobe upgrade. I was pleasantly surprised how easy Publisher was to learn. I'm currently laying out the cover and the liner notes on the back go into an irregularly shaped area in the artwork. I've just spent over two hours trying to figure a way to modif...

how do I type text in text box in Publisher
I am trying to create a banner in Microsoft Publisher. I have created a tex block but when I try to type text in the block it won't let me. When I start typing nothing shows up in text block Have you selected the text box? And if so, do you see a flashing cursor in the text box? -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Challenged" <Challenged@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F364F4C-16D4-4136-9389-A9836AD0934A@microsoft.com... >I ...

publisher insists on underlining copied text ? do i remove it
I copied text from a Word Document and when it appeares in Publisher it is always underlined and i can't seem to remove the underline. Any ideas? Angelis <Angelis@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I copied text from a Word Document and when it appeares in Publisher > it is always underlined and i can't seem to remove the underline. Paste Special as Unformatted Text? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher All the text? Try "paste special", unformatted text. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.m...

how do I make the cell expand to fit my text as I type?
I merged some cells across the width of a spreadsheet and i can't get the cell to increase it's height as more text is typed in wraps around. Only way I know, is to move your cursor to between the row number of therow you want to adjust and the next row. The cursor changes shape into an up/down arrow. Click and drag till you see all. Double clicking will also not work "pnwwoman" wrote: > I merged some cells across the width of a spreadsheet and i can't get the > cell to increase it's height as more text is typed in wraps around. If cells are merged. ...

How to Justify Text
My Publisher (2002) help does not contain the instructions for justifying text - could someone please tell me how to do this? I've done a search in this newsgroup but it seems no-one else has this problem :) Jan M > My Publisher (2002) help does not contain the instructions > for justifying text - could someone please tell me how to > do this? > > I've done a search in this newsgroup but it seems no-one > else has this problem > > Jan M Do you have your formatting toolbar turned on? From left to right, mine has boxes for font selection, formattin...

Add text to bar charts
hi have a series of bar charts want to add text to these, can anybody help? The text that I want to add is the same as the legend if that helps thanks in advance paddy Click the chart and start typing - this should add a text box. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "mcgrath383" <mcgrath383@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1159301697.671691.184350@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com... > hi > have a series of bar charts want to add text to these, can anybody > help? > The text that I want to add is the same as the legend ...

Displaying a Text File in an Edit Box
Hi All Is it possible to display the contents of a Text file in an Edit box. Edit Box name is ID_SHOW_TRADE Variable for this edit box is a CString called strTrade The file name is TRADE.DAT & is saved in Text format. Help would be much appreciated Jay. void CMyDialog::ReadFile() { CStdioFile In; if (!In.Open("Trade.Dat",CFile::modeRead)) { return; //could not open file } CString Temp; strTrade = ""; while (In.ReadString(Temp)) { strTrade += Temp; } In.Close(); UpdateData(FALSE); } Or you can do it like this void CMyDialog::ReadFile() { CStdioFile I...

More on Alphabetize
My apologies for a badly written question. I have Excel Workbooks for each of 12 months (e.g. Jan. 2004 Daily Figures). They are in a Folder in My Documents named '2003 Daily Figures', in irregular order. I can Drag each but not Drop it where I wish it. Is there a way to Alphabetize the 12 Excel entries within a My Documents Folder? Sure. Rename them to 01-2004, 02-2004, etc. **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification Coming Soon! www.VBAExpress.com/training/ www.Brainbench.com Word Test Developer 2000,2002,2003 ******************************** "Old ...

How do I get more than 1 Text Watermark on the page?
Please help me!!!! I need lots of Text Watermarks to appear throughout the page. Noeleen Conlon <Noeleen Conlon@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I need lots of Text Watermarks to appear throughout the page. Copy and paste? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

An alphabetically sorted list of findings...
I have been building on a converter between two systems. The goal hav been to find which twelve "Skills" is followed by the highest value and then create a list out of the top twelve. It may look somethin like this: Climb Heal Craft: Electronics Listen Performance: Dance Craft: Art Knowledge: Physics Drive Knowledge: History Diplomacy Sleight of Hand Knowledge: Geology Hide Move Silently What would help me a great deal would be if I somehow could build separate list of cells gathered from this list, searching for specific word, such as "Knowledge:&...

Scroll to caret when appending line to rich text box
I've just came across to some very peculiar behavior with rich text box control. I want to add colors to my log window so I started with rich text box, to which I send messages EM_SETSEL(-1,-1), EM_SETCHARFORMAT and EM_SETTEXTEX. That works. Now I want to toggle the pinning of the scroll button to the last line, i.e. have RTB automatically scroll to the last line if the last line was previously visible, or do nothing if the last line wasn't previously visible. How I do that? EM_SCROLLCARET doesn't seem to work, and oddly enough SetFocus/KillFocus does, but it doesn't lo...

Alphabetize?
With a list of topics by the month (e.g. July 2004 Daily Numbers), how can they be alphabetized? Perhaps one way .. Assuming you have in col A, A1 down July 2004 Daily Numbers July 2004 Weekly Numbers August 2004 Daily Numbers August 2004 Weekly Numbers September 2004 Daily Numbers September 2004 Weekly Numbers etc Put in B1: =MID(TRIM(A1),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(A1),SEARCH(" ",TRIM(A1))+1)+1,99) Copy down Col B will extract the text-string after the "Month Year" string Use col B as the key to sort both cols A and B Alternatively, Try Data > Text to colum...

Body Text paragraphs within a List Style ?
Hopefully I will explain my question clearly. ;) If one has created a list style in MS Word 2008, how does one include "in that list" some paragraphs that are in one's Body Text style but are based on the indent rules of the list style? In other words, I start a list with list paragraph number 1. but after the first sentence I'd like to include several paragraphs with a style consistent with the list paragraph but not a new list number. Hope that is clear. Thanks for any tips. -- Norm Hi Norm: Investigate the "List Continue" series of ...

Center Text
Hello all, I have what would seem to be a very small problem, but I am unable to answer it myself. I have a report that I am trying to create and each record can have one of three categories. If there are multiple records for, let's say, Group1, then I want a text box to span both records and center the text within the report. This would be the equivalent of a rowspan in html. I have no idea where to start. Am I missing something really simple? The data is structured as the following: Group1 | Record 1 | Some cool info Group1 | Record 2 | Some cool info Group 2 | R...

alphabet tabs
I am trying to create a draft a dictionary-type document where I would have a tmplate with a letter for each page (i.e. A,B,C....X,Y,Z). Then I could readily select a page where I could add an item or word for a specific letter (i.e. quickly go to M or P or Q) On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 15:31:02 -0800, David Glover <David Glover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to create a draft a dictionary-type document where I would have a >tmplate with a letter for each page (i.e. A,B,C....X,Y,Z). Then I could >readily select a page where I could add an item or word for...

alphabetically paginate in a merge
i'm trying to put a church directory together and have no problem merging from my excel database but i'm wondering if there is some way that i can cause the merge to paginate alphabetically... like in an address book. all the "a's" together, all the "b's" together and so on. any help would be greatly appreciated! What version Publisher? If you are using 2003-07 you could do this manually if you are using the catalogue merge. After the merge, in step five, create a new publication. Arrange the entries the way you are describing. -- Mary Sauer MSF...

How may I make a list display in alphabetical order in Excel?
Data>sort>ascending -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "pat henry" <pathenry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:497E03A1-36FD-4962-B081-A66FC962E884@microsoft.com... > ...

If there is a qantity in text box, make text box grey
Hi Folks, My manager ask me if I can highligth a text box in details section of my report if a there is data If anyome knows how can I do that. Please help me, Thanking you in advance for your help and support! Fred's Check out Conditional Formatting. If you can't figure this out, come back with detailed questions. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "Fred's" wrote: > Hi Folks, > > My manager ask me if I can highligth a text box in details section of > my report if a there is data > > If anyome knows how can I do that. Please help me, >...

Text to Columns #5
I have a column of text in rows and would like to move it to columns. I cannot locate how. I know it must be possible Select the rows of text in your column that you want to move to columns, then click Edit/Copy from Excel's menu bar, then click into the first cell you want to put the data transposed data into (this cannot be one of the select cells by the way), then click Edit/PasteSpecial from Excel's menu bar, click the box at the bottom labeled Transpose and click OK. Rick "Dendy" <Dendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FEB4CAA-F302-4DB5-8...

Text editing on the header of CListCtrl
Hi there, is there any way to do in-place edit of the label of header of CListCtrl, by simply double-clicking on the label? ...

serializing element text using SOAP
I have generated a proxy class derived from System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol One of my classes is defined as [System.Xml.Serialization.SoapTypeAttribute("MyClass", "http://www.mycompany.com")] public class MyClass { public MyClass() { } public MyClass(String text) { this.Value = text; } [XmlText(typeof(string))] public string Value; } I wish for instances of this class to be serialized as <tns:MyClass>hello world</tns:MyClass> However it serializes as <tns:MyClass><Value xsi:type="xsd:string">hello worl...

Macro to Click on Alphabet Letter to go to Cell Where that Alphabet Letter Starts in Large Spreadsheet
I have a very large spreadsheet with text entries and would like to set it up so that I could click on a letter, for example, "d" and I'd be taken to the first cell with an entry beginning with "d". I also need to be able to continue to add data to the spreadsheet. I've read a lot of posts and the best solution seems to be setting up a macro. My problem is that I've never been able to record a macro and my attempts to try these in both Word and Excel have failed miserably. I've basically been self-taught in the Microsoft office programs for the past few yea...

pasting text into a text box
For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart text box, (with excel 2007). Is there a trick to this? Gary K. Five minutes with Excel 2007 show that there is no obvious way to paste copied text into the embedded text box. Aren't you glad you upgraded? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Gklass" <gmklass@ilstu.edu> wrote in message news:1180231963.336906.112430@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > For some reason I am unable to paste text into a chart ...

text : Frequency
Hi, I need to know how many time I have a stringA StringB and a StringC in a column. I think frequency is only for numbers. How can I do it with Strings? So With the frequecies of each 3 strings,I will be able to build a flowchart. Thanks, J Jack use COUNTIF For example: =COUNTIF(A1:A200,B1) for a range in column A; adjust to suit or: =COUNTIF(A:A,B1) for all of column A Regards Trevor "Jack" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a8f01c3fcad$c4a70dd0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I nee...

Default Text
How can I change the text default from "plain text" to "HTML"? I know it is probably easy, but I can't find the option anywhere. Any help is welcome. You don't say what version of Outlook you are using, but in 2003 (and XP, if I remember correctly), at the Inbox menu, select Tools, Options, Mail Format. Judy Freed Systems Development UNC Charlotte "Nancy" <photoconcepts@charter.net> wrote in message news:960801c4338e$4b5dfd40$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How can I change the text default from "plain text" > to "HTML"? I know i...