Alpha sort names/numericals

I have 2 columns. 1st column has names, 2nd has numerical values relevant to
the names. How can this data be alpha sorted and keep the same name/numerical
data.
0
dane1 (8)

data/sort

"dane" <dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have 2 columns. 1st column has names, 2nd has numerical values relevant
> the names. How can this data be alpha sorted and keep the same
name/numerical
> data.

0
crosem (24)
9/17/2004 2:51:30 AM
Hi Dane,
Please state clearly what the problem is.
If you sorted and got the names sorted and the numbers did not stay with the
name then you have a problem with your (selection)  range..

Use   Ctrl+A   to select all cell,  then   Data,  Sort

Sorting,  Some notes on sorting in Excel
 http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm
---
HTH,

"dane" <dane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...
> I have 2 columns. 1st column has names, 2nd has numerical values relevant to the
>  names. How can this data be alpha sorted and keep the same name/numerical data

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Deriving a name from variables
I have 22 CheckBox objects named CheckBox1, CheckBox2 etc. I would like to substitue a variable to represent the name in the expression "Sheet2.TextBox1= False" by using a do loop and varying the number portion of the word TextBox. Any suggestions? -- Bernie Checkboxes and textboxes from the control toolbox toolbar??? I'm not quite sure what you're doing, but maybe this will give you an idea: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim iCtr As Long With Sheet2 For iCtr = 1 To 22 .OLEObjects("textbox" & iCtr).Object.Enabl...

The colums changed from alpha to numeric how do you make it alpha
The colums changed from alpha to numeric how do you make it alpha go to Tools->options- General and uncheck the R1C1 reference style "worldmade" <worldmade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E1CEC7A-E04F-4C71-8168-F8C13C86D118@microsoft.com... > The colums changed from alpha to numeric how do you make it alpha Hi Worldmade, Try: Tools | Options | General tab | Uncheck R1C1 reference style --- Regards, Norman "worldmade" <worldmade@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1E1CEC7A-E04F-4C71-8168-F8C13C86D118@microsoft.c...

Slow sorts on Excel
I have a spreadsheet that I created a custom macro to sort certain columns in a workbook. For some reason after I have the workbook open for any extended period of time (saving and updating periodically) the sort will go from taking about 1.5 seconds to about 10 or 15 seconds. Once it takes 10 or 15 seconds I have to close the spreadsheet down and re-open to get back to the 1.5 second sort (I don't have to close Excel). Does anyone know why this may be hapening? I know it's ugly code and can be cleaned up...my main question is what could be causing the slow down. Thanks, Ryan Her...

Grouping and sorting
I have an inventory report that I need help with. I have a monthly report that shows all items despersed each month that shows each requisition and items ordered on that requisition. This report is sorted and grouped by department. I now need to creat a summery report that only shows the departments billing code, the department name, and the total amount charged for each requisition. This must be grouped by department the sorted by billing code. The three fields of the db used are Cust2 (department code),Prime (main billing code), and DTL (secondary billing code). I have been ...

Name Tags #2
Hello, I am attempting to create sheets of name tags (Avery 5095) for my high school reunion. I want to add JPEGS (scaled down yearbook scans) and a different name to each tag, how do I do this, I am stumped? Thanks, Ralph What version Publisher? Are all your pictures in the database sorted to match the names? Setup up your page for the label. Open the catalog and merge wizard, follow the steps. In step 3 (Publisher 2003) expand the drop down, insert as a picture. The picture will be inline, right-click, format picture, layout, change the inline to exact and adjust the picture's ...

sort mailboxes
Some users on our network have several mailboxes in their folder list. The default sort is by alpha. Can I customize a sort for these mailboxes? Thanks for any help. ...

Excel and Sorting
In Excel I have my checking information I would like Excel to take my information and sort it as to the catagory I have labled each transaction and put them into groups with totals. This is done it Quicken is this possible to do this in Excel? Thanks You got a response to your first version of this question. Justin wrote: > > In Excel I have my checking information I would like Excel to take my > information and sort it as to the catagory I have labled each transaction and > put them into groups with totals. This is done it Quicken is this possible to > do this in Excel?...

vc6,WTL71,and Alpha
I use vc6 on WinXP english edition. I download WTL71.exe from microsoft.com,and follow readme.htm to install it. I can compile BmpView,GuidGen,MDIDocVw sucessfully,but it's failed to Alpha and MTPad project.Please see the following information: ompiling... Alpha.cpp \wtlinclude\atlframe.h(412) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lpnm' \wtlinclude\atlframe.h(1176) : see reference to class template instantiation 'WTL::CFrameWindowImplBase<TBase,TWinTraits>' being compiled \wtlinclude\atlframe.h(412) : error C2501: 'LPNMREBARCHEVRON&...

Named Ranges not available in every worksheet
I built a workbook by copy worksheets from several another workbooks. I now have the situation where I have some named ranges that only exist in the worksheet they started in and even two named ranges of the same name pointing to different places on different workheets. Are there any rules about copying worksheets that include named ranges and if there away to make all named ranges global and available to every worksheet within a workbook. Thank you for your help You are experiencing two types of named ranges, worksheet and workbook. The former applied to just the worksheet it is def...

Distribution list
Is it possible to sort the names in a distribution list by last name? Thanks, John Pinback John Pinback <pinback1752@yahoo.com> wrote: > Is it possible to sort the names in a distribution list by last name? The DL "Name" field reflects the "Display As" field of the added contacts. If you specify the Display As fields the way you want (i.e., "Last, First"), then the Name field in the DL will be alphabetized by last name. You can resort either ascending or descending by clicking the Name column header. When you are in the process of choosing the...

Numeric or Alpha
I am just starting to build a table, i have a RefNo which must always be 10 numbers long, so I have set the field as numeric. Some of these RefNo's begin with a "0" or even "00", after i have put them in the first 0's dissapear. The field is set as numer does this mean i will have to set the field as text so that the first 0's appear and hold in place.? or is there something i can do to force the 0 to stay in place and still keep the field numeric. I also need to ensure that there are always 10 digits in the RefNo field, with any missing numbers bei...

Domain logon name case sensitive?
Are Domain logon names case sensitive? I created a new user but used lower case on our domain, when all other entires are upper case. Mistake apparently. The new user gets 'unauthorized' when opening crm. From the same machine, I can set the IE setting for force a logon with my credentials and CRM is fine. I want to change the domain login string on the CRM user record but the text is gray and you can't edit. Any suggestions? PROCEED WITH CAUTION........... Open SQL Enterprise Manager: Navigate to your CRM databases and expand the MSCRM database. Click on 'Tables&#...

How do I alphabetize a list of names in Publisher?
How do I alphabetize a list of names in Publisher? You copy it into Word, sort it there, then paste it back int Publisher. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "moron" <moron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:001383D6-C86B-4F35-9862-114BB71D0634@microsoft.com... > How do I alphabetize a list of names in Publisher? ...

Sorting by colors
I have a matrix of data in excel where they have highlighted lines with colors. Is there any to sort this database by colors ? There are some folks doing such a consuming time job !! Visit www.cpearson.com, Chip has lots of stuff on colour. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Hecwill" <Hecwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:605D660F-4B1D-4150-81BA-0460778DECBC@microsoft.com... >I have a matrix of data in excel where they have highlighted lines with > colors. Is there any to sort this database by colors ? There a...

Row_Number() Sorting
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001E_01CACCD3.B2FCD400 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am a little confused as to what Row_Number is doing based on the = execution plan. If I have a table: CREATE TABLE T (PK INT IDENTITY, A INT, B INT, C INT, D INT) CREATE UNIQUE CLUSTERED INDEX TPK ON T(PK) INSERT T VALUES (0, 1, 8, 3) INSERT T VALUES (0, 3, 6, 5) INSERT T VALUES (0, 5, 4, 0) INSERT T VALUES (0, 7, 2, 8) INSERT T VALUES (0, 9, 0, 2) INSERT T VALUES (1, 0, 9, 9) I...

Second Level Sort
Office Excel 2007 Second level sort not rendering I have a name address etc wksht where the street number is one column and the street name is another column I set the first sort on street name and the second level sort to street # . The street name sorts fine but the street numbers don't order correctly so that instead of getting 123 xyz st then 125 xyz st and 345 xyz st, the numerical part of the address is not sequential. Run two separate sorts: first sort the numbers then sort the names. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA http://www.contextures.com/excel-sort-addin.html .. .. ...

Sort on a calculated field
When I run this query, I am presented with a parameter input box asking for tblGrievances.Year (unless I remove it from the ORDER BY clause). How can I sort on the calculated field and the GrievNumber field? Many thanks, Rip SELECT tblGrievances.*, DatePart("yyyy", tblGrievances.Yr) AS Year FROM tblGrievances ORDER BY tblGrievances.Year, tblGrievances.GrievNumber SELECT tblGrievances.* , Year(tblGrievances.Yr) AS [Year] FROM tblGrievances ORDER BY Year(tblGrievances.Yr), tblGrievances.GrievNumber Year is a bad name for a column. Year is a function that ret...

Error Message While Sorting
When I try to sort I am getting the following error message. This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized. Any suggestions -- arku ----------------------------------------------------------------------- arkum's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1648 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31493 Hi arkum Remove the merged cells and never use merged cells again. Always trouble when you use this. Select the cells and use Ctrl-1 to go to the Alignment tab to change this -- Regards Ron de Bruin http...

Range name table
I want a list of all the defined names and their cell references. This used to be done in Lotus by Range/Name/Table. I can't find the equivalent in Excel. Can it be done. Thanks. Bill Ridgeway Computer Solutions Find a spot and: Insert...Name..Paste... and click on Paste List at bottom left. This should work for you. Bill Ridgeway wrote: > I want a list of all the defined names and their cell references. This used > to be done in Lotus by Range/Name/Table. I can't find the equivalent in > Excel. Can it be done. > > Thanks. > > Bill Ridgeway > ...

Series Name Not There
Hey guys, I created a charting program some time ago and now it won't let me edit the series name. The name still shows up as a tooltip if you were to mouse over it. But, when I actually click on the point I get the following: =SERIES(,{1200},{923},8) Where there used to be a editable string before the first comma. This is something that has just started happening today and I have been using this thing for years. The series name is pretty long, but that hasn't been a problem in the past. How can I edit the series? I have clicked on the point and tried in the formula bar. I have lo...

Sorting by unread messages
In Outlook 2002, when I go to View, Current View, and choose by unread messages it is supposed to only show me the unread messages in my inbox. Instead I may get a few of them but not all of them, and sometimes none. Can this be fixed? Have you tried resetting the Unread Messages view? View | Current View | Define Views, select Unread Messages and click Reset. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:bad601c479b1$ff8b0650$a301280a@phx.gbl, Jason wrot...

Challenging Sort Problem #2
Have a spreadsheet with items. A = Multiple Locations B = item id (in each location) C = Description D = Qty on Hand (some have zero) E thru J = has misc data I am trying to sort by D - Highest qty on hand and bring all locations with it - no matter what qty is showing. A=location B=part number C=part description D=qty on hand spread sheet has 11,000 lines example A B C D 100002 PC12345 tool for PC 2500 100003 PC12345 tool for PC 0 100004 PC12345 tool for PC 400 100005 PC12345 tool for PC 10 100002 PC54321 tool for pc2 30 100003 PC5432...

Using a named range in a chart
Can a named range be used in a chart for one of the series? I have tried this, and it doesn't seem to work. For instance, i have a name _Date_rng defined (using Insert...Name...Define) as "data!$A$2:$A$60". In a chart (XY scatterplot), for one series, i define the X values as _Date_rng. Excel formats this as ={"_Date_rng"}. However, the chart is now blank, it draws with the axes, but no data is plotted. But, when i put the range directly in the chart "Source Data...Series" tab as "data!$A$2:$A$60", it plots the data correctly. So, is it po...

Horizontal Sorting.
I have a spreadsheet 32 columns * 1244 rows. Each row has only one value in it. I wish to re-order the columns with the most used column on the left, least used on the right. I've used the COUNT function at the bottom of the table to establish usage for each column, what do I do next? The only sort option that I can find is for a vertical sort. Sort has a vertical option. Goto Data>Sort, click the Options button, then you will see an option to sort left to right. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Zilva Zanga" <zilva_zanga@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:OSgYTTnvFHA.464...

help sorting with commas #2
Yes. Each cell contains anywhere from 1 to 12 numbers seperated by commas. -- arkum ------------------------------------------------------------------------ arkum's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16488 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=278356 If you just sort normally, how does the result differ from what you want? I notice that you want the item with 5 parts (an "e" term) to come before one with only 4 parts. Normal sorting would put them the other way around. If the result isn't what's wan...