Allow comments to be added to protected worksheet? - Excel 2007

I have created a worsksheet with selected areas locked and then protected it.
My users want to be able to add comments where necessary but are not able to.
I cant seem to find anything in the help menu - any ideas?

When protecting the sheet "allow users to:"

Select unlocked cells  and  Edit Objects.

Note:  with edit objects checked, users can insert comments in locked cells
if they are allowed to select those.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 15:00:02 -0800, sue@solotel
<suesolotel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have created a worsksheet with selected areas locked and then protected it.
>My users want to be able to add comments where necessary but are not able to.
>I cant seem to find anything in the help menu - any ideas?

0
Gord

2 worksheets--3 questions
Hello! I have a workbook that tracks patients (mothers) and contacts (mom's family members). The mother worksheet is named MAT_INF and the contacts one is named CONTACTS. 1. In MAT_INF, I have a field named CASE_NUMBER. How can I tell this field to automatically start out with a value like "2009-"? An example case number would look like 2009-001 or 2010-099. 2. Once CASE_NUMBER, LAST_NAME_MOM and FIRST_NAME_MOM have been populated by the user in MAT_INF, how can I automate adding those values to the CONTACT sheet, where the corresponding fields are named CASE_N...

Entire Active Directory visible when Allowing Users to Edit Ranges
Excel XP on Windows 2000. TS Environment running Citrix. Following Problem: Tools - Protection - Allow user to edit ranges - new - permissions - add. This provides a list of the ENTIRE active directory of the domain. Where is the switch to turn this off or to limit the access? Am I in the right newsgroup even? Any hints will be greatly appreciated. ...

Does Outlook 2003 allow multiple Exchange accounts?
Hi, I was wondering if Microsoft figured out a way to have more than one Exchange accounts in Outlook 2003? I realize that I can have multiple Exchange accounts in Outlook 2002 provided that I set them up as POP3 or IMAP. I'm talking about having multiple pure Exchange accounts w/ calendar and everthing. Thanks, Sam Nope. Only 1 Exchange account is still supported when working against 2 or more sites. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Sam" <sam@iqinternet.com> wrote in message news:e1sEVVao...

worksheet names in a formula
Is there a way to have Excel look up information based on the informationenteresd in a cell. i.e. you are in a worksheet named general and in cell a1 you enter a city name. I want Excel to look for the information in the worksheet named the city referenced in a1. Any help with the syntax would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Paul On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:26:24 -0700, "Paul Schilling" <pschilling@uniplexcorp.com> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Is there a way to have Excel look up information based on >the informationenteresd in a cell. > >i.e. ...

Active hyperlinks in Access 2007 Report
I am a long time Access user and I have a need to produce a report but within the report are hyuperlinks to PDF files that are on a web site. So, here is the scenario - a user has a database on their local machine and they can search the text of 1400+ different construction projects. They submit a search request and receive back a report of all the responses and within the answerset are hyperlinks to the actual PDF documents - but n the report output the hyperlinks are DEAD! Is there functionality to have LIVE hyperlinks?? Thanks in advance for any suggestions! ...

Adding (Distinct) Advanced Filtered Rows
I have a column (Column A) of ID numbers that I have filtered so I won' have any duplicates. In column B, there is data for each ID. (Column has either F/T or P/T in it, next to each respectful ID). What I nee to do is add the filtered rows to decide how many are F/T and how man are P/T. When I try to do this, I keep getting a number that als counts the filtered out rows, therefore giving me a much larger numbe than I should have. Could someone please help? Thanks in advance! :rolleyes -- kukarooz ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kukarooza...

field service allow setup of cycle charge allowed up to
Field service needs to allow the setup in meter readings to have an amount for each meter reading that is not charged versus just a maximum in the base field. For instance the customer each meter reading gets the first 1000 cycles at no charge and .05 per cycle over the allowance. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsre...

outlook 2007 and Sharepoint
Someone had sent a task form sharepoint. Now, it always in processing in Outlook Send/Receive Progress. It consume 100% of CPU. How can I delete it? ...

Looking for an eval version of Outlook 2007
I'd like to give Outlook a try. Is there an eval version that doesn't apparently require installing the full Office 2007 suite? Can Outlook be installed selectively after download? How complete is the online trial version of O2007? -- Al Dykes News is something someone wants to suppress, everything else is advertising. - Lord Northcliffe, publisher of the Daily Mail Al Dykes wrote: > I'd like to give Outlook a try. Is there an eval version that doesn't > apparently require installing the full Office 2007 suite? > > Can Outlook be installed...

Adding a new actity type
Hi, I want to add new activity type(like email, task, appointment etc) to the CRM 3.0 activities. Please let me know if it is possible. If yes, how can this be achieved. Please advise. Thanks, Mahalax. No you cannot add new activity types. The only thing that you can do is to rename any of the standard activity types that you feel will not be used in your implementation and add the attributes required for your new activty type. "Mahalax" wrote: > Hi, > > I want to add new activity type(like email, task, appointment etc) to the > CRM 3.0 activities. Please let ...

CRM & Office 2007 on Windows Server 2003
Hi there, We have been running CRM with Office 2003 on Windows Server 2003 (Citrix) with no problems for some time now. We are now in a process of upgrading our Citrix farm to Office 2007 and I have just read that CRM and Office 2007 is only supported on Windows 2000 and Vista ? Does anyone know when CRM with Office 2007 will be supported on Windows Server 2003 ? Thanks ...

Trying to average the contents of a cell across multiple worksheet
I have A workbook that contains 26 worksheets. Sheet 26 is a summary page that gives a running total of of the information entered in the previous 25 pages. I need to be able to do an average of the contents of one cell but I cant have the average include the null cells or zero value cells from the worksheets that have yet to be populated. I have been using this Aray formula: {=AVERAGE(IF('2-20:8-14'!B28<>0,'2-20:8-14'!B28))} but I keep getting #ref errors. What am I doing wrong or do you have a better way of doing this function. Thanks, Erik ...

opening calendar view in outlook 2007 hangs outlook
Outlook 2007, fully updated (SP2 installed; automatic Windows updates) VISTA Business 64 bit, also fully updated Compaq 6910P laptop, 4 gig RAM; 81 GB free on hard drive (about 50% full) Running with POP/SMTP service (No Exchange server) When I open Outlook mail folder opens just fine; can read and send messages. When I try to open the Calendar, Outlook hangs (the usual not responding messages) Opening in Safe mode does not fix it. Running the /cleanprofile, /safe:4, PST file was up to about 580 MB; cleaned it up and compacted ; now 450MB (well below limits listed on MS ...

read only form allows date to change
I have a form that I open in read only that has a calendar popup for the date fields. When I open the form the calendar pop up allows the date to be changed. The rest of the fields are read only. Any suggestions. Thanks Private Sub ViewActivityNote_Click() On Error GoTo Err_ViewActivityNote_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "FRM - Activity Note" stLinkCriteria = "[activitynoteid]=" & Me![activitynoteid] DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria, acFormReadOnly Exit_ViewActivityNote_Click: Exi...

Option buttons on a worksheet
Hi Was wondering if there is a limit to the number of option buttons one can put in a group. I want to create an IF formula based on the cell link so does this have an impact on the size?? Many thanks in advance Kind regards Ann Dublin, Ireland You can only nest 7 levels in an IF statement, so that would probably affect your option buttons. "Ann Shaw" wrote: > Hi > > Was wondering if there is a limit to the number of option > buttons one can put in a group. I want to create an IF > formula based on the cell link so does this have an impact > on the ...

Undo only by single character in Word 2007?
In Word 2007 under Windows 7, I am noticing for the first time a strange behavior. I know in Word 2002 and OSs up through Vista, undo worked on whole words. Now I find in certain files, that undo works only character by character, not whole words. The drop down list for undo shows, for example typing "e." I notice that in opening a new file, undo works as expected. Ditto for other existing files. The current file for which this behavior occurs was sent to me by a prospective author. The main document at issue is a DOCX file, presumably originated in Word 2007 (or...

"Iv Bo" <nospam@server.net> wrote in message news:... If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com >> "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message >> news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >>> Hello All - >>> >>> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >>> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >>> there an ...

How do I stop a cell from incrementally adding up?
I have a 2 cells merged, the data in the cells are always 1 of three choices ( 2-1/2, 3-1/2, 4-1/2) If I select my choice of the three and try to extend it to the next cell it automatically raises it by 1 with each cell added. For example: cell A:1 = 2-1/2 when I drag that the next cell cell B:1 = 3-1/2 then cell C:1 = 4-1/2 then cell D:1 = 4-1/2 etc. I don't have this problem when cells are not merged, is there an alternate way of merging the cells so this does not occur? Thanks in advance. EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com Hold the ctrl key ...

Payroll should allow concurrent builds by different users
In a company that is heavy payroll, all checks are processed in the same day but by different users for different subsets of employees. Allowing concurrent builds would be nice. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolution...

NUL characters are not allowed
Hi, We have install the exchange 2003 and we are encountering intermitten problem when sending email to internet (only to a certain email domain other are alright). When that happens, we receive a "NUL characters ar not allowed" error. <mail.anonymous.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Requested action not taken: NU characters are not allowed.> This error usually happens when we reply to a certain email domain. When this happens, we would retry 2 or 3 times, it usually i successfully after 2 or 3 tries. It only affects a small number of email domain. Other email domain ha no problem. H...

adding a Carriage Return or Line Feed character to an update query
I'm building an update query that will concatenate two fields and update the first field with the combination of the two fields. However, I would like to separate the two components with a blank line, or two carriage return or line feed characters. In Visual Basic, I'd use vbcr&vbcr to do this. How can I do this in an update query? Thanks in advance, Paul Paul wrote: >I'm building an update query that will concatenate two fields and update the >first field with the combination of the two fields. However, I would like >to separate the two...

adding user submitted items to a list
hello all, any help with this would be greatly appreciated... there's a cell were a user is asked to input data, and a command butto marked 'submit'. There is also a list. When the button is clicked for the first time I require the underlyin macro to place the inputted data into the 1st position in the list (n problem so far). However when the button is clicked for the 2nd time require the macro to place that data in the 2nd position... ie eac time the button is pressed the list grows. how do I write the macro to ensure the data is inputted one row dow from the last inputted p...

Unable to add OWA account to outlook 2007
Hi! I've got a university OWA account that I want to use outlook 2007 with. I can't manage to get it working, it's come up with various messages, such as outlook has to be closed to add email accounts and that it cannot connect to the server. Here's the info I can find on my OWA account: Mailbox owner: [xxxx.xxxxxxxxx@students.plymouth.ac.uk] User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 Outlook Web Access experience: Basic User language: English (United Kingdom) User time zone: Exchange mailbox address:...

docmd.restore in 2007
I have a menu that is not a popup but should be centered and restored, not maximized. I have in the when active the docmd.restore and it works fine in all my systems but one. In this particular form, I cannot get the form to restore in either the design or form view. Any suggestions? thanks ...

How to copy protection details #2
Thx for the response. But my requirement is a little different. The Sheet1 is a template in which only certain cells are editable . I have a user form in which the user is allowed to choose if he wants to copy contents of Sheet1 to Sheet2(this is the main sheet). When the user choose copy Sheet1 contents ,I require the protection details also to be copied. Pls help -- jminu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jminu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=14144 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthre...