Adding to a range in a reference?

I'm modifying an existing workbook. One of my drop down lists has its
text options provided by means of a 'Defined Name': Choices.
The Name 'Choices' refers to the text items in a group of adjacent
cells, in a row, on another worksheet called 'Info'. The reference is a
range: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7

I want to add an extra item of text to increase the number of options
in the drop down list. So as not to disturb the location of cells
defined by other references, I tried to append the new cell downwards
from the group in the row.
I tried this: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,$D$8

It didn't work so I went for the range extending
option:='Info'!$D$7:$I$7
This worked OK but it's using the 'I' column which was a spacer between
another block of data. So, if I want to add more options later I'll
have to go elsewhere to avoid messing up other absolute references.

Please can anyone explain the syntax used for adding a remote cell
location to the original range:='Info'!$D$7:$H$7?
TIA
Lila Duncan

You can use the union operator "," to add to a named range, but it
should be fully qualified:

    ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,'Info'!$D$8

That won't help you, though, since range references used in validation
dropdowns must refer to a single row or column.

In article <1107777363.687900.295530@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
 "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm modifying an existing workbook. One of my drop down lists has its
> text options provided by means of a 'Defined Name': Choices.
> The Name 'Choices' refers to the text items in a group of adjacent
> cells, in a row, on another worksheet called 'Info'. The reference is a
> range: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7
>
> I want to add an extra item of text to increase the number of options
> in the drop down list. So as not to disturb the location of cells
> defined by other references, I tried to append the new cell downwards
> from the group in the row.
> I tried this: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,$D$8
>
> It didn't work so I went for the range extending
> option:='Info'!$D$7:$I$7
> This worked OK but it's using the 'I' column which was a spacer between
> another block of data. So, if I want to add more options later I'll
> have to go elsewhere to avoid messing up other absolute references.
>
> Please can anyone explain the syntax used for adding a remote cell
> location to the original range:='Info'!$D$7:$H$7?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
2/7/2005 1:29:34 PM
JE McGimpsey wrote:
> You can use the union operator "," to add to a named range, but it
> should be fully qualified:
>
>     ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,'Info'!$D$8

Thanks, I'll remember that.

> That won't help you, though, since range references used in
> validation dropdowns must refer to a single row or column.

I was *almost* on the right track then. :-)

So, Data>Validation>Settings>Allow:List>Source:=Choices,=Choices2
where 'Choices2' provides the information from the additional remote
cell, wouldn't work either?

Perhaps I should learn to add rows and columns where needed in
workbooks with lots of pre-existing absolute references (it may be
easier than I currently envisage).

Thanks very much for the reply. I do have some manuals and other
documentation but I'm at the early stage where I still don't know the
appropriate keywords to do an effective index search.

Regards and best wishes,

Lila Duncan

> In article <1107777363.687900.295530@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
>  "LilaDuncan" <LilaDuncan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm modifying an existing workbook. One of my drop down lists has
its
> > text options provided by means of a 'Defined Name': Choices.
> > The Name 'Choices' refers to the text items in a group of adjacent
> > cells, in a row, on another worksheet called 'Info'. The reference
is a
> > range: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7
> >
> > I want to add an extra item of text to increase the number of
options
> > in the drop down list. So as not to disturb the location of cells
> > defined by other references, I tried to append the new cell
downwards
> > from the group in the row.
> > I tried this: ='Info'!$D$7:$H$7,$D$8
> >
> > It didn't work so I went for the range extending
> > option:='Info'!$D$7:$I$7
> > This worked OK but it's using the 'I' column which was a spacer
between
> > another block of data. So, if I want to add more options later I'll
> > have to go elsewhere to avoid messing up other absolute references.
> >
> > Please can anyone explain the syntax used for adding a remote cell
> > location to the original range:='Info'!$D$7:$H$7?

Cell refering filename in formula bar
How do you refer filename1 to a cell in the formula bar? Example: ='\\Year 2004\September\[_filename1_.xls]sheet1'!$A$1 A | B | C 1 | | 2 | filename1 | 3 | | 4 | | ="\\Year 2004\September\["_B2_".xls]sheet1'!$A$1 will not work -- yee ve ----------------------------------------------------------------------- yee ven's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1479 View this thread: http://www.excel...

relative reference to previous sheet in formulas?

Adding hyperlinks with parameters

A Word Macro to VLookup a Range in Excel
Hi, With a combination of VLOOKUP and MATCH formulas in Excel I'm able to grab a cell's value from a multi-row, multi-column range. But I can do this only from within Excel. The formulas look like these: =IF($H$4="",0,VLOOKUP($H$4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF($I$4="","REG",$I$4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0)*IF($J$4="","1",$J$4)) and =IF(H4="",0,(VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH("REG",$A$1:$E$1,0),0)-VLOOKUP(H4,$A$1:$E$50,MATCH(IF(I4="","REG",I4),$A$1:$E$1,0),0))*IF(J4="","1",J4...

How to use variables in ranges?
can someone please explain to me how to use a variable in a rang reference? example: > > maxpolines = Application.CountIf(Worksheets("P > Data").Range("A2:A500"), srcponum) > > ...some autofilter logic.... > > Worksheets("PO Data").Select > tottoinv = Evaluate("=SUBTOTAL(9,C2:C500)") The above yields the results i want. but i would like to replace "C500 with some reference to the maximum lines as identified b 'maxpolines'. the macro recorder produced "=SUBTOTAL(9,R[-14]C:R[-1]C)". This synta looks li...

ADDING A NUMBER

adding new records

When adding attachments...

Using multicell range when single cell prescribed
This is unusual (to me) range usage. It is NOT entered as array formula. A1=123 A2=456 B1=left(A1:A10,1) B2=left(A1:A10,1) Note the results. Additional observations - you can stick dollar signs on 1 and 10: no result change. You can (instead) copy B1 to B2: no result change. It's as though using a range where you "ought" to be using a single cell [range] is interpreted as "the cell for column A of current row" (for this choice of A1:A10).However note that B1=left(A2:A10,1) gives #VALUE. Is this a beneficial (and reliable) tactic in some situations, for some worksheet...

multiple value choices for If range().value = "xxx"
The macro below runs on worksheet change and works properly. However, I have 5 values to examine in column H. The values are: Split, Payday 1, Payday 2, Payday 3, and Payday 4. Any of these choices should result in unlocking and clearing the cells in that row (first part of if statement). Otherwise, the range 'pasterage' is copied to that row and it is locked again. I can't find the proper syntax (if there is any) to say something like is possible in SQL (if ...value in ("Split","Payday 1",...)) Please advise on the best way to go about this. ...

Adding ActiveX to dialog with wrapper

Adding alternate columns

Adding fields from a different query

Adding Terms & Conditions to the Quote Form
We have a client that would like to add their Terms & Conditions (T&C) text to the bottom of their GP Quotes. I've read that static text boxes in Report Designer can only be 80 characters, so that won't work as the T&C text is approximately 4-5 pages long. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to add this significant amount of text to a GP form? Thank you in advance. Scott No can do Scott - Report Writer is just not capable of this. The best solution is to purchase Accountable Software's Forms Printer - www.accountable.com. Frank Hamelly MCP-GP, MCT, MVP East...

Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug where the payees in my downloaded transactions are automatically added to my payee list (this despite the fact that I've checked off the option "Confirm new payees"). This alone would be worth the upgrade. On the subject of 2006, does anyone know if Microsoft added the cookie jar concept to accounts? The cookie jar allows you to squirrel money away within an account. TIA greg.block@gmail.com wrote: >Please tell me that in Money 2006, Microsoft has finally fixed the bug >where the payees in my downlo...

AD Monitoring
Is there a listing somewhere of what all components in AD should be minitored, thresholds, etc...we are evaluating a monitoring solution and need this information to take a decision on the product to use Hello Sameer, For performance start here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961943.aspx Also see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727046.aspx Use the included links from: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc739728(WS.10).aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and c...

Dynamic change of worksheet reference in a Hlookup function
Hi, I am a basic user of MS Excel, and starting to use hlookup function. In this function i have the worksheet reference that i want to change linked with a cell in another worksheet. The problem: - HLOOKUP(Info!$D$10;'02545'!$A$1:$Z$219;70;FALSE), - Want to change '02545' for the cell "Info!$D$11" which has th worksheet reference, that i can change for another worksheet within th workbook. Thanks for the hel -- fariapedr ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fariapedro's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?a...

Adding Collapse/Expand to Publisher 2003 items
Hi I'm trying to enter a text box which may be expanded/Collapsed as follows: > More Info... > Next Item... > More Info... When you want bla bla bla, do bla bla bla, > Next Item... Can anyone tell me how to implement it?! Thank you 'bla bla bla' is the sound of geckos mating - so the naturalists tell me. No, you cannot do what you want. Your answer is rude & arrogant. I don't know why would anyone put you in a position to Accept calls for help. Besides - I don't believe it can't be done. Please don't call again "*...

Name range problem
I defined a range and named it Pen. Pen referred to A3:A12. I typed the word Pen in cell B4. When I used the formula =AVERAGE(Pen) I got 4.7 which is correct. When I tried =AVERAGE(B4) I get #Div/0. What can I do to make the formula realize that the name I typed in B4 is a defined name and not just text? I have been struggling with this for some time. Hi =AVERAGE(INDIRECT(B4)) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Landmine" <Landmine@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DA09DA95-8CB8-4A04-967D-48FB42E11F26@microsoft.com... > I defined a ra...

Range of numbers equation
Is there a way to find the lowest & highest number in a range of columns, and perform a calculation on them, e.g. %change (to-fm)/fm% Thanks What relationship do "to" and "fm" have to the lowest and highest number? If "to" is the lowest number in columns A:J, and "fm" is the highest number in columns A:J: =MIN(A:J)/MAX(A:J) - 1 formatted as a percentage. In article <42B784EB-2FB0-4D12-BD97-527555C02AAC@microsoft.com>, "nastech" <nastech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to find the lowest &...