A-Z, Z-A, buttons

The A-Z, Z-A buttons are a very useful feature, that I use to sor
columns within blocks of data without having to go through the dat
sort menu.

I have a large block of data, with no gaps, which I have used for ove
5 years, so it's well tried and tested.

Now for some reason when I use the A-Z buttons it won't include the to
three rows in the sort.

This has happened a couple of times before with just the top row and m
solution has been to delete it completely and insert it lower dow
within the block.

What is the cause of this problem.

I'm sure there is a simple solution.

Thanks in advance

TGHCOG

hi ....................................,
You probably have an empty row 2 or 3.   If you have a single
cell select the Excel defaults to the current region in the used range
stopping at empty rows and empty columns.    [Ctrl+*]

When you use the arrows you do not have control over whether
you have headers or not.  I may help Excel see that you have
headers you the formats differ between that row and the others.

The only way that I would suggest using the sort arrows is to select
a cell in the  column you want sorted then   use  Ctrl+A,  then your
sort icon of choice.   Otherwise you will sort only on the current region
if you have only one cell selected.
[in Excel 2003 you have to hit Ctrl+A twice  to select ALL cells]
---
HTH,    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/sorting.htm

"tghcogo >" <<tghcogo.17p416@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:tghcogo.17p416@excelforum-nospam.com...
> The A-Z, Z-A buttons are a very useful feature, that I use to sort
> columns within blocks of data without having to go through the data
> sort menu.
>
> I have a large block of data, with no gaps, which I have used for over
> 5 years, so it's well tried and tested.
>
> Now for some reason when I use the A-Z buttons it won't include the top
> three rows in the sort.
>
> This has happened a couple of times before with just the top row and my
> solution has been to delete it completely and insert it lower down
> within the block.
>
> What is the cause of this problem.
>
> I'm sure there is a simple solution.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> TGHCOGO
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)
6/11/2004 9:35:41 PM
Hi Dave

Thanks for the advice and the links, very useful.

I have tried every which way to fix it to no avail, but I have found
solution.

When I first set up the table many moons ago, I could select any cel
in a column click in the A-Z button and it worked fine providing I lef
a blank line between the headings, which are in bold type, and th
data.

At some stage  over the years, (not sure when), I was able to eliminat
the blank row and it still worked by selecting any cell in a column
and the heading would stay where it was and not become mixed up in th
data.

I should add that the real headings form the bottom row of freeze pan
so are always on view when I scroll through the data.

Whatever I try now it always (and very stubbornly) assumes the firs
row of data is the heading, even if I insert a blank row between th
real headings and the data.

To get it to work accurately, I now don't have a blank row between th
heading and the data, and providing I select the cell with the heading
it sorts the data correctly and leaves the heading where it should be.
This is slightly less convenient than before but it is still quicke
than selecting the region and going through the data sort dialogu
method.

It is obviously something to do with the way excell automaticall
determines (or not) the presence of headings.
It's baffling, but in the grand scheme of things, not something to los
sleep over.

Once again ythanks for the advice.

TGHCOG

No News Button
After installing Office 2003 I went to Outlook. Went to Go. No news button. Went to customize, commands, Go, there was no news button in the right menu selections. How do I fix this? John John, please let me know if you get an answer to this question. I asked the same question and got no response. Thanks, John Strong (v-jstron@microsoft.com) >-----Original Message----- >After installing Office 2003 I went to Outlook. >Went to Go. No news button. >Went to customize, commands, Go, >there was no news button in the right menu selections. >How do I fix this? > >John &...

A-Z, Z-A, buttons
The A-Z, Z-A buttons are a very useful feature, that I use to sor columns within blocks of data without having to go through the dat sort menu. I have a large block of data, with no gaps, which I have used for ove 5 years, so it's well tried and tested. Now for some reason when I use the A-Z buttons it won't include the to three rows in the sort. This has happened a couple of times before with just the top row and m solution has been to delete it completely and insert it lower dow within the block. What is the cause of this problem. I'm sure there is a simple solution. Thanks...

"Z Report" Report
We would like to monitor when our stores close out for the day. Is there a way for us to generate a report that shows when the Z's were created by register? Rick, This should probably be fairly simple to create as an RMS report. -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Retail Information Technology Enterprises (RITE) rsakry@rite.us http://www.rite.us 320-230-2282 ext. 4002 (Office) 320-230-1796 (Fax) "Rick@ASP" <RickASP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0CAFB96-AA6D-4F76-86FE-99518E4E4AA1@microsoft.com... > We would like to monitor when our stor...

Copy button
is there a way to create a button that when clicked, it copies the information in a text box? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Yes there is, but the question is, what do you want it to do with that copied data? "gymcshoe via AccessMonster.com" wrote: > is there a way to create a button that when clicked, it copies the > information in a text box? > > -- > Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com > > Copy to where? To another text box? See: http://allenbrowne.com/casu-14.html To clipboard? For a single source, use: Me...

File Menu button is now an icon
I succeeded in changing File Menu to the Excel Icon and have no idea how I did it or how to get it back. The result is that a left click on that icon will bring up the Restore Menu and a right click will bring up a seriously abbreviated File menu. Two commands I use quite a bit are Set Print Area and Clear Print Area and neither are present on this abbreviated menu. Help! It sounds like you're still using xl2003 or below (not xl2007 with the new ribbon interface). If that's true... I'd try this first. Rightclick on an empty spot on any of the toolbars. Cho...

New button on CRM form/page
Hello everyone, We have a client wanting us to add a button to the Account and perhaps Contact forms which will then launch an api or dll (written by a third party). I am new to CRM so am asking as to the feasibility of doing this and perhaps a starting point (e.g. reading material). Also, I understand accessing the CRM SQL tables directly is a MAJOR NO NO. Is there an approved way to DISPLAY ONLY 4-5 fields from say the Contact table in another app? Would a custom buit view be ok? I know there are third party packages like SCRIBE which provide safe ways to the data, but this ...

'REFRESH' Button In Access 2007 Form
Hello, I am working on a database in Access 2007 partially to accomplish a goal, but also to get familiarity with the new version of Access (I have done quite a bit of work in the previous versions). Despite doing a lot of Access work, I am not much of a code burner though I can usually understand and cannibalize someone else's code. I haven't found specifically what I am looking for in some searches and thought someone here would be able to knock out what I am looking for in a few minutes where it would take me a lot longer to struggle through it. I have some unbound sub-forms all...

Doc/View z and File Types
Hi, I have 3 doc/view template in my app: Network.document(.nfg), Screen.document(.sfg), Automation.Document(.afg). When my app is installed on target machine (using Install Shield), the 3 document file are added to the registry as File Types. In my install project I add nfgFile file type, and I have some defined parameters, this file type is added to the registry too. The problem is when I double Click an .nfg file, it is opened with the shell commands written in the Network.Document instead of the nfgFile type. It does not behave as I want, cause somehow the /dde parameter is added to the fi...

deleting extraneous toolbar buttons in Toolbar Editor?
Okay, this is the first time I've added a toolbar to a dialog-based application. When inadvertently resizing the bitmaps, this became interpreted as adding a button. Is there a way I can delete extra buttons without recreating the ones I want to save/use? Thanks. Try the delete key after selecting the button or simply dragg them off the toolbar. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Jim" <Jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F61A6C02-57F2-44EE-BC16-ABFE9D581D22@microsoft.com... > Okay, this is the first time I've added a toolba...

System.Windows.Controls.Button vs System.Windows.Forms.Button
Using a Button control, I tried to reset its colour ("color" to those of you on the other side of the pond). I tried to use the BackColor attribute - but that is in System.Windows.Forms.Button. When I add "using System.Windows.Forms" I get an ambiguous usage error, seeing as I am also "using System.Windows.Controls". I thought it would be hoping too much to cast from System.Windows.Controls.Button to System.Windows.Controls.Button or even cast back to a UIElement and then to System.Windows.Controls.Button seeing as that is not its base class. Any ideas? ...

Error when running Z report
When I generate the report I get the initial filter screen, and when I click ok to view the report, I get the following error message: "The report could not be loaded due to the following error: (-2147217900) Cannot truncate table 'Cashier' because it is being refrenced by a FOREIGN KEY constraint. Hey Daniel did you ever got that problem fix with the Run-Time Error "2147217900" Cannot truncrate 'Cashier' becuase it belong to a foreign key. If so, Can you tell me how to do it Thanks Robert. "Daniel" wrote: > When I generate the report I get...

Zoom button disabled in Preview mode
Anyone know what would cause the zoom button in preview mode to be disabled and the preview unchangeable? I am able to open the document, edit it but when I print preview it, I am unable to zoom to any resolution as the zoom button is diabled. one thing that causes this is having the scaling set to fit to x pages tall by y pages high in Page Setup. In article <050801c3db04$0db00f20$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "jonefer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Anyone know what would cause the zoom button in preview > mode to be disabled and the preview u...

How do you put an "&" sign on a button?
I need a button to say "O&M", but when I type it, the & sign turns into an underscore. How do I display the "&" sign as typed? Thank you! "Cathy" <Cathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:432DAE14-74DD-4DBD-9B2B-1BFF914A5214@microsoft.com... >I need a button to say "O&M", but when I type it, the & sign turns into an > underscore. How do I display the "&" sign as typed? Double up the &: O&&M When displayed, it will come out as a single ampersand. -- Dirk Gol...

Z-REPORT
Where can I edit the actual Z-report? I would like to remove some feilds that are not being used and also sort the departments. You can make a backup copy and open the original in notepad, edit it, and then reset the template. -- Elizabeth M. "Harry" <Harry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1149AE0-765F-49D6-BC62-5CE3251BFFE2@microsoft.com... > Where can I edit the actual Z-report? I would like to remove some feilds > that are not being used and also sort the departments. It can be found in: C:\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operat...

my files got reorderd Z to A. How do I flip them A to Z again.
All of a sudden the order of my files in my folders flipped. The folders used to be listed first, then the documents in that folder. They also used to be listed A to Z. Now they are Z to a. I want to flip them back to their original order. Switch to Details view in the Open/Save dialog and click on the Name heading. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Dr. Patricia Ross" <Dr. Patricia Ross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9269D94-228C-4658-A651-4A1FF4A0CE6F@microsoft.com...

adding a signature button to outlook xp toolbar
Hello All I an trying to set up outlook with 2 signatures and I would like to add a button for each signature to the toolbar so that I could insert the preferred signature by pressing that button any help would be appreciated. Thanks On Tue, 17 May 2005 06:58:35 -1000, Doctorpc631 <doctorpc631@aol.com> wrote: > Hello All > I an trying to set up outlook with 2 signatures and I would like to > add a > button for each signature to the toolbar so that I could insert the > preferred signature by pressing that button any help would be > appreciated. > > T...

Excel Toolbar Buttons
I am using Excel 2002, does anyone know if there is a highlight button that can be added to the toolbar, it seems like I had one and now it's gone Maybe you're remembering the highlighter tool from Word -- Excel doesn't have a one. You could change the font colour of specific characters in a cell, but not the background colour of specific characters. Gordon wrote: > I am using Excel 2002, does anyone know if there is a > highlight button that can be added to the toolbar, it > seems like I had one and now it's gone -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Boo...

Toolbar Button
I use Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Edition On the Excel toolbar I put a button for AutoFilter Is there a button to remove the filter? I cannot find one. I have to use Data/Filter and uncheck Auto Filter Any ideas appreciated Chat Hi Chat don't know a "supplied" one, but you can create your own button & code to do this for you - and it can work as a toggle, if there's no filter on the range it can turn it on, if there is it can turn it off. to do this - 1. Click in a cell in the range where you want the filter buttons applied to 2. From the menu choose...

Command Button Help.
I have command buttons on the top of a Form I have created. I want to be able to print the Form using the command button I added to print the active form but not the command buttons on the Form. I cannot find an option to hide the buttons when I print. Any help is greatly appreciated. Set the Display When property of the command button to Screen Only. -- Ken Snell <MS ACCESS MVP> "avw410" <user@domain.com> wrote in message news:Or7QF5HLIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have command buttons on the top of a Form I have created. I want to be &g...

Commission from Z report
Hi guys. I set up the new POS system on one of store. Z report usually shows sum of the commission on that batch. (i did not have to set up anything when I copied data from one of exist store) However commsission from Z report only shows commssion for last transaction. How can I change set up for the Z report? Please be advised. PS. If I want to change lines or order of Z report format, which file shuold I modify? I couldnt find the file location. Thank you Best R Alex Kim The format of the report is defined by the file c:\Program Files\Microsoft Retail Management System\Store Operations\...

Missing action button on local data group
I am missing the 'Actions' button on the data group tab. Therefore I can not set up the correct sync to my outlook clients. What am I missing? Thanks ...

toggle button nightmare
I use Access 2003. This problem is relative to a continuous form. I have a subform with toggle buttons. The concept is to click them when their associated attributes are considered "critical". For example, I have a field called [IDLength]. It has an "associated" field called [IDLCritical] which is used to capture the toggle button's value. I want the toggle button to be enabled only IF there's a value in [IDLength] so I devised this AfterUpdate Event: Private Sub IDLength_AfterUpdate() Me.tglIDLCritical.Enabled = IsNull(Me.IDLength = True) Me.t...

command button #3
i'm trying to create a calculator that determines the rate of pay for an apprentice, but am quite stuck. how can i create a command button that gives me a calculation based upon three factors that are chosen from a drop down list? I would just use an IF statement within an IF statement. Roughly like =IF(DropDownCell="apprentice1",$10,(=IF(DropDownCell="apprentice2",$15,$20)) Or take that drop down list and split it into three columns. Depending on the math. "ashley" wrote: > i'm trying to create a calculator that determines the rate of pay for ...

Identifying a button on a toolbar
How do I find out whether a specific button exists on the visible Standard toolbar ? I want to add a specific extra button, but need to determine whether it already exists on the toolbar. -- You can use code similar to the following. If you used the Tag property when you created the control, you can find it with FindControl searching for the Tag. Dim C As Office.CommandBarControl On Error Resume Next Err.Clear Set C = Application.CommandBars.FindControl(Tag:="your tag") If Not C Is Nothing Then Debug.Print "control exists" Else Debug.P...

contact email button
Is it possible to have a button for a contact (Outlook 2000) that when clicked on will open up a new email addressed to that contact? -- Ron Port Dover Ontario Right click on the contact name and then left click on New Message to Contact. It'll open an email addressed to the primary email address of that contact. OK, so it's TWO clicks, not one - so, sue me. LOL! "Ron" <rpwebb@nospam.com> wrote in message news:nExpb.99458$PD3.5298530@nnrp1.uunet.ca... > Is it possible to have a button for a contact (Outlook 2000) that when > clicked on will open up a new...