A cell appears "######". What's this?

I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general 
type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an 
accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000" disappears 
and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it? Thank 
you.
0
9/9/2006 8:44:02 PM
excel.newusers 15348 articles. 1 followers. Follow

16 Replies
540 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

Make the column wider, the "#####" means that there is not enough room to 
display the contents

"marlen_athens" wrote:

> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general 
> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an 
> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000" disappears 
> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it? Thank 
> you.
0
bigwheel926 (227)
9/9/2006 8:53:01 PM
OR ... you could make your font *smaller*!
-- 
HTH,

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"bigwheel" <bigwheel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1023AA78-DFB0-4526-92A4-A24261667A3E@microsoft.com...
> Make the column wider, the "#####" means that there is not enough room to
> display the contents
>
> "marlen_athens" wrote:
>
> > I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general
> > type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
> > accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000"
disappears
> > and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it?
Thank
> > you.

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
9/9/2006 8:58:29 PM
It could mean a few things.

1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.

    Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change the
    numberformat to General.

2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative

    Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
    changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
    other number format).

    If you need to see negative date/times:
    Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
    (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
    and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
    workbook that doesn't use this setting)
 
3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

    Format the cell as general.

4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.

    Clean up that cell.

5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.

    Change the format 
    (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.

marlen_athens wrote:
> 
> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general
> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000" disappears
> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it? Thank
> you.

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
9/9/2006 9:04:06 PM
You sound like my dad.
99.999999999% of the time it's option 1
The post said it contained 55,000
As a sensible refence reply its correct - but no one on here reads posts=
  =

before they throw a problem in


Steve

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:04:06 +0100, Dave Peterson  =

<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

> It could mean a few things.
>
> 1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.
>
>     Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change =
the
>     numberformat to General.
>
> 2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative
>
>     Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
>     changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
>     other number format).
>
>     If you need to see negative date/times:
>     Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
>     (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
>     and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
>     workbook that doesn't use this setting)
> 3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.=

>
>     Format the cell as general.
>
> 4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.
>
>     Clean up that cell.
>
> 5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.
>
>     Change the format
>     (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.
>
> marlen_athens wrote:
>>
>> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a gene=
ral
>> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
>> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000"  =

>> disappears
>> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it?=
  =

>> Thank
>> you.
>
0
sj_walton (248)
9/10/2006 3:38:10 AM
Is this pointed at Dave only, or am I included in this,
<<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>

Either way, have *you* read the *subject* line?

What do you think Dave's answer would accomplish when this thread becomes
part of the archives?
When someone is searching for assistance, they certainly *don't* read the
message text, but *do* depend on the subject line, and who's to say that
this someone's solution is not covered by Dave's suggestions.

These groups are here to help everyone ... yesterday, today, *and* tomorrow!
-- 
Regards,

RD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit !
---------------------------------------------------------------------------


"SteveW" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
news:op.tfm8dwuuevjsnp@enigma03...
You sound like my dad.
99.999999999% of the time it's option 1
The post said it contained 55,000
As a sensible refence reply its correct - but no one on here reads posts
before they throw a problem in


Steve

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:04:06 +0100, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

> It could mean a few things.
>
> 1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.
>
>     Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change the
>     numberformat to General.
>
> 2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative
>
>     Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
>     changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
>     other number format).
>
>     If you need to see negative date/times:
>     Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
>     (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
>     and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
>     workbook that doesn't use this setting)
> 3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.
>
>     Format the cell as general.
>
> 4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.
>
>     Clean up that cell.
>
> 5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.
>
>     Change the format
>     (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.
>
> marlen_athens wrote:
>>
>> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general
>> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
>> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000"
>> disappears
>> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it?
>> Thank
>> you.
>

0
ragdyer1 (4060)
9/10/2006 4:19:45 AM
Not you as well.

Point taken about archives.

Steve

ps your -- in the signature (in the middle of the post) caused the rest =
of  =

the post to be cut from this replay :)


On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 05:19:45 +0100, Ragdyer <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrot=
e:

> Is this pointed at Dave only, or am I included in this,
> <<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>
>
> Either way, have *you* read the *subject* line?
>
> What do you think Dave's answer would accomplish when this thread beco=
mes
> part of the archives?
> When someone is searching for assistance, they certainly *don't* read =
the
> message text, but *do* depend on the subject line, and who's to say th=
at
> this someone's solution is not covered by Dave's suggestions.
>
> These groups are here to help everyone ... yesterday, today, *and*  =

> tomorrow!
0
sj_walton (248)
9/10/2006 6:46:08 AM
RD,

I totally agree with you.  When I answer posts, I feel like including =
some good links (MS training/assistance etc.) to some basic materials, =
if I see appropriate.  But, I always have this concern that the poster =
may feel "offended" because it is too basic.  The truth is I think of =
all the other users doing research.  By the way, I enjoyed Dave's =
writeup and I learned something even though I wasn't looking to solve a =
problem.  It is good to be detailed.

<<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>

Not true, at least for me.  I might not have done a search directly in =
the MS forum but I use Google and very often the posts from the MS =
forums show up.  Dave knew that on Saturday I quoted from his post of =
*2004* about printing row numbers *only*.

Cheers,

Epinn       =20

"Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message =
news:OT73aBJ1GHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
Is this pointed at Dave only, or am I included in this,
<<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>

Either way, have *you* read the *subject* line?

What do you think Dave's answer would accomplish when this thread =
becomes
part of the archives?
When someone is searching for assistance, they certainly *don't* read =
the
message text, but *do* depend on the subject line, and who's to say that
this someone's solution is not covered by Dave's suggestions.

These groups are here to help everyone ... yesterday, today, *and* =
tomorrow!
--=20
Regards,

RD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit =
!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--


"SteveW" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
news:op.tfm8dwuuevjsnp@enigma03...
You sound like my dad.
99.999999999% of the time it's option 1
The post said it contained 55,000
As a sensible refence reply its correct - but no one on here reads posts
before they throw a problem in


Steve

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:04:06 +0100, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

> It could mean a few things.
>
> 1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.
>
>     Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change =
the
>     numberformat to General.
>
> 2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative
>
>     Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
>     changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
>     other number format).
>
>     If you need to see negative date/times:
>     Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
>     (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
>     and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
>     workbook that doesn't use this setting)
> 3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.
>
>     Format the cell as general.
>
> 4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.
>
>     Clean up that cell.
>
> 5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.
>
>     Change the format
>     (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.
>
> marlen_athens wrote:
>>
>> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a =
general
>> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
>> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000"
>> disappears
>> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it?
>> Thank
>> you.
>


0
someone6932 (228)
9/10/2006 7:57:45 AM
I understand the concept of archive, though I'd have thought the majorit=
y  =

of OPs on here don't even read the posts from the day before.

But the detail in Dave's answer is the only time ##### has got such a  =

lengthy reply
It's asked about, probably once a week

I'll hangback next time.

Steve

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 08:57:45 +0100, Epinn <someone@example.com.NO_SPAM> =
 =

wrote:

> RD,
>
> I totally agree with you.  When I answer posts, I feel like including =
 =

> some good links (MS training/assistance etc.) to some basic materials,=
  =

> if I see appropriate.  But, I always have this concern that the poster=
  =

> may feel "offended" because it is too basic.  The truth is I think of =
 =

> all the other users doing research.  By the way, I enjoyed Dave's  =

> writeup and I learned something even though I wasn't looking to solve =
a  =

> problem.  It is good to be detailed.
>
> <<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>
>
> Not true, at least for me.  I might not have done a search directly in=
  =

> the MS forum but I use Google and very often the posts from the MS  =

> forums show up.  Dave knew that on Saturday I quoted from his post of =
 =

> *2004* about printing row numbers *only*.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Epinn
>
> "Ragdyer" <RagDyer@cutoutmsn.com> wrote in message  =

> news:OT73aBJ1GHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> Is this pointed at Dave only, or am I included in this,
> <<<"but no one on here reads posts before they throw a problem in">>>
>
> Either way, have *you* read the *subject* line?
>
> What do you think Dave's answer would accomplish when this thread beco=
mes
> part of the archives?
> When someone is searching for assistance, they certainly *don't* read =
the
> message text, but *do* depend on the subject line, and who's to say th=
at
> this someone's solution is not covered by Dave's suggestions.
>
> These groups are here to help everyone ... yesterday, today, *and*  =

> tomorrow!
0
sj_walton (248)
9/10/2006 8:21:05 AM
"SteveW" wrote:
> But the detail in Dave's answer is the only time ##### has got such a  
> lengthy reply

Actually, I'm v.grateful that Dave P. and the many other regulars do take 
the trouble now and then to provide such comprehensive replies. This can only 
enrich & deepen the excel archives for the benefit of all, .. forever.
-- 
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
0
demechanik (4694)
9/10/2006 9:35:01 AM
Your dad sounds like a wise and generous person.

SteveW wrote:
> 
> You sound like my dad.
> 99.999999999% of the time it's option 1
> The post said it contained 55,000
> As a sensible refence reply its correct - but no one on here reads posts
> before they throw a problem in
> 
> Steve
> 
> On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:04:06 +0100, Dave Peterson
> <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> 
> > It could mean a few things.
> >
> > 1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.
> >
> >     Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change the
> >     numberformat to General.
> >
> > 2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative
> >
> >     Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
> >     changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
> >     other number format).
> >
> >     If you need to see negative date/times:
> >     Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
> >     (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
> >     and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
> >     workbook that doesn't use this setting)
> > 3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.
> >
> >     Format the cell as general.
> >
> > 4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.
> >
> >     Clean up that cell.
> >
> > 5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.
> >
> >     Change the format
> >     (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.
> >
> > marlen_athens wrote:
> >>
> >> I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general
> >> type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number  , I try to make it as an
> >> accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000"
> >> disappears
> >> and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it?
> >> Thank
> >> you.
> >

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
9/10/2006 12:44:03 PM
Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g>

-- 
 HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)

"SteveW" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
news:op.tfnlhfuievjsnp@enigma03...
<snip>

But the detail in Dave's answer is the only time ##### has got such a
lengthy reply

<snip>


0
bob.NGs1 (1661)
9/11/2006 7:14:34 AM
Vroom, Vroom!

Bob Phillips wrote:
> 
> Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g>
> 
> --
>  HTH
> 
> Bob Phillips
> 
> (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct)
> 
> "SteveW" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:op.tfnlhfuievjsnp@enigma03...
> <snip>
> 
> But the detail in Dave's answer is the only time ##### has got such a
> lengthy reply
> 
> <snip>

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
9/11/2006 1:09:46 PM
I liked Dave's # 4
Never would have thought of that <g>
-- 
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
--- 
"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message 
news:4505601A.106D987E@verizonXSPAM.net...
> Vroom, Vroom!
>
> Bob Phillips wrote:
>>
>> Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g> 


0
demechanik (4694)
9/12/2006 6:35:59 AM
Hey, didn't you use that comment before?

Or are you just wheeling out your standard messages????

<vbg>

Max wrote:
> 
> I liked Dave's # 4
> Never would have thought of that <g>
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:4505601A.106D987E@verizonXSPAM.net...
> > Vroom, Vroom!
> >
> > Bob Phillips wrote:
> >>
> >> Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g>

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
9/12/2006 12:32:01 PM
I like Dave's #5.  I have been trying to fill a cell all morning but =
couldn't remember how, even though I did it the other day.  Glad that =
rereading Dave's post gave me the answer.

Dave, forgot to tell you that your post is a sample of the kind of =
excellence that I (a new user) am looking for in an answer.  Look =
forward to more "VROM," "VROM," or whatever ...... <g>  Kudos to Dave!

I have thanked the other experts separately under different =
circumstances.  So, please don't feel left out.  ;)

Wonder if MS wants me to cut down my "thank you" posts to save storage? =
<g>  I think appreciation is paramount.

Epinn  =20

"Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message =
news:4506A8C1.F566814F@verizonXSPAM.net...
Hey, didn't you use that comment before?

Or are you just wheeling out your standard messages????

<vbg>

Max wrote:
>=20
> I liked Dave's # 4
> Never would have thought of that <g>
> --
> Max
> Singapore
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> xdemechanik
> ---
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> news:4505601A.106D987E@verizonXSPAM.net...
> > Vroom, Vroom!
> >
> > Bob Phillips wrote:
> >>
> >> Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g>

--=20

Dave Peterson

0
someone6932 (228)
9/12/2006 4:01:15 PM
Glad you found some use to #5.

And thanks for the thanks.

Epinn wrote:
> 
> I like Dave's #5.  I have been trying to fill a cell all morning but couldn't remember how, even though I did it the other day.  Glad that rereading Dave's post gave me the answer.
> 
> Dave, forgot to tell you that your post is a sample of the kind of excellence that I (a new user) am looking for in an answer.  Look forward to more "VROM," "VROM," or whatever ...... <g>  Kudos to Dave!
> 
> I have thanked the other experts separately under different circumstances.  So, please don't feel left out.  ;)
> 
> Wonder if MS wants me to cut down my "thank you" posts to save storage? <g>  I think appreciation is paramount.
> 
> Epinn
> 
> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message news:4506A8C1.F566814F@verizonXSPAM.net...
> Hey, didn't you use that comment before?
> 
> Or are you just wheeling out your standard messages????
> 
> <vbg>
> 
> Max wrote:
> >
> > I liked Dave's # 4
> > Never would have thought of that <g>
> > --
> > Max
> > Singapore
> > http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> > xdemechanik
> > ---
> > "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> > news:4505601A.106D987E@verizonXSPAM.net...
> > > Vroom, Vroom!
> > >
> > > Bob Phillips wrote:
> > >>
> > >> Not so. Dave wheels that reply out regularly <g>
> 
> --
> 
> Dave Peterson

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12004)
9/12/2006 4:21:43 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Cell shows with ########
In Excel 2007, I've opened a file I created in Excel 2003. It looked fine in Excel 2003. But now, in Excel 2007, one cell now appears as #############, onscreen and in Print Preview and when printed. The cell contents look fine in the the entry line at the top of the screen, or when I put the cursor in the cell and hit F2 (edit). The cell contains multiple lines of text. I've tried it both with Wordwrap and without, but the cell still appears as ################. Any suggestions on how to get hese cells to display normally again? Thanks. Maybe widening the column ...

####### in Cell
I am typing text in a cell and then I get to a point and it just turns it to a bunch of # signs...##################### Why is that happening??? Thanks in advance for your review and hopeful for a reply. PSULionRP Format the cell as General (or anything but Text) and reenter the value (F2 followed by Enter should be enough). Excel has trouble strings between 256 and 1024 characters in cells formatted as Text. PSULionRP wrote: > > I am typing text in a cell and then I get to a point and it just turns it to > a bunch of # signs...##################### > &g...

What does ####### mean in an Excel cell? The cell contains text.
In an Excel spreadsheet cell I have text but cannot see it. Instead ######### are displayed. I have tried dragging the right side of cell and wrapping the text to see it but to no avail. Maybe a *negative* time value. A1 = 9:00 B1 = 8:00 C1 = ( =B1-A1) would duplicate your problem. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "PaulS" <PaulS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EF67D56-C3D9-409E-AEF3-939FBA5F5FBE@microsoft.com....

Why am I seeing ###### in place of text within the cell?
Generally because the column is not wide enough to show the text. -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Lindsey" <Lindsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14A7BFA1-1206-42B4-95D3-00C7F7E65645@microsoft.com... > That's what I thought until I contiued to expand the cell far beyond the width of the text... and the problem remains. The text has been cut and pasted from the web... maybe that's the problem. "Bernard Liengme" wrote: > Generally because the column is not wide enough to show the tex...

I try to switch to euros and appears ######
I pointed the values of my monthly earnings in numbers and when I tried to move to euro appears that ####### Try widening the column. Please hit Yes if my comments have helped. Thanks. "JAJM" wrote: > I pointed the values of my monthly earnings in numbers and when I tried to > move to euro appears that ####### HI Try widening the column. -- Regards Roger Govier "JAJM" <JAJM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC46EEA9-D1B6-4EDE-8F2F-03BDF08C467D@microsoft.com... > I pointed the values of my monthly earnings i...

######## as the answerin the cell. How do you correct?
Simple command is =F4-F37. Answer in cell continues to be: #######. If I hold the cursur over the cell it will show the correct answer to the side in another window. Expand the width of the column "Hoot" <Hoot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EB0861E6-69C6-4CB4-94D5-0A9D3379FB94@microsoft.com... : Simple command is =F4-F37. Answer in cell continues to be: #######. If I : hold the cursur over the cell it will show the correct answer to the side in : another window. I take it that it is not as simple as just increasing the column width? -- Return ema...

cell data shows as #############
I have a "text" cell that, when content gets to be too long (I assume greater than 255, or somesuch), all I see is a single row of pound/hash signs, ie: ##################################################### filling the cell. Is there a way to change the formatting so that this does not occur? Thanks! PatK The repeated # is what Excel uses to show an entry is too large for column width. There is no alternative If you told us more about the scenario maybe a workaround would be suggested. best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email &quo...

why do some cells automatically switch to ####### when I write?
I am fairly new to Excel and finding that when I finish typing in some cells, the text disappears and I get a continuous line of ##### when I move out of that cell. How do I stop this from happening? Hi, That is because of the column width, just expand it and you will be able to see what you typed "Curious" wrote: > I am fairly new to Excel and finding that when I finish typing in some cells, > the text disappears and I get a continuous line of ##### when I move out of > that cell. How do I stop this from happening? Hi Eduardo, Thanks for responding. Tried expanding...

Cell displays ################# instead of the text
Hi, I have run into an issue that when the text in the cell is greater than a certain number of characters, it is displayed as "#####################". If I change the cell type to "General" instead of "Text" then it displays fine. How can I fix this so that the type can be "Text" and still display properly. Thanks Rahul Try changing the cell's format from Text to General (or anything but text). Rahul wrote: > > Hi, > > I have run into an issue that when the text in the cell is greater than a > certain number of character...

Using Excell , have ######### showing up in the cells. Why
I have a quote form set up. Each line includes quantitiy, price and extension. Extension is Q x P. When entering the price on a couple of cells it shows multiple # signs yet still has the entered amount in the formula block above. The extension is correct also but I need the price to show up as the numerical number not a "#" sign. HELP! Your column is not wide enough to display the result. Widen it or use a smaller font. Regards, Fred "Capt. Seaweed" <Capt. Seaweed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:55544124-D2F6-4DB6-B206-4F168...

####### within a wrap text cell.
I have merged cells and wrap text (all text) and when gone back to the cell and added text, the cell display "##########" accross the merged cell and prints the same thing. What is happening and how can I fix it? cell isn't big enough... either make the font of that cell smaller, or increase the size. "OrlandoJayHu" wrote: > I have merged cells and wrap text (all text) and when gone back to the cell > and added text, the cell display "##########" accross the merged cell and > prints the same thing. What is happening and how can I fix it? Tr...

A cell appears "######". What's this?
I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general type. From the menu Format, Cells, Number , I try to make it as an accounting type(in dollars), I press ok and then my type "55,000" disappears and appears a "#####" instead. What is this and how can I correct it? Thank you. Make the column wider, the "#####" means that there is not enough room to display the contents "marlen_athens" wrote: > I write down a type, for example "55,000", which is by default a general > type. From the menu Format, Cel...

###### appearing even though the cell is large enough to display everything
I have a cell with text in it and on my screen it appears as a series of pound signs. I have made the cell large enough that all the text should fit so I do not know why the pound signs will not disappear. Format the cell to General. Excel has a problem with cells that contain >255 but <1024 characters. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On 26 Apr 2006 12:55:14 -0700, jmelaragno@gmail.com wrote: >I have a cell with text in it and on my screen it appears as a series >of pound signs. I have made the cell large enough that all the text >should fit so I do not know why the pound sign...

Why do I get this ###### instead of 11:00 p.m. in formatted cell?
One reason could be that the column isn't wide enough. Try widening the column. -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP Always supply your formula and the values of the input cells -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "new user" <new user@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32404C0C-FB66-4D90-A301-42D0322E2CFE@microsoft.com... | On 15 =F1=E5=EF, 19:43, new user <new u...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote= : > Not to forget: if cell contains fomula that evaluates time value and result turns to be negative, it will be shown as ###### no...

how do I get rid of ###### that appear instead of text in excel?
I used to know how to do this, but I've forgotten...grr...how do I get rid of those nasty ######### that appear in the fields instead of what I enter...the correct words appear up in the input header, but the field just shows a series of pound signs...thanks! Change the format of the cell from text to general. If text is between 256 and 1024 characters in length and the cell is formatted as text you the ###. -- HTH... Jim Thomlinson "rocker22042" wrote: > I used to know how to do this, but I've forgotten...grr...how do I get rid of > those nast...