zip codes not being saved as text in CSV format

I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code), they
are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they switch
back to general.

Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!

Melissa
0
MelissaM (4)

Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat
the column as text (last dialog)

--
Regards,
Tom Ogilvy

"MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
> application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code),
they
> are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they
switch
> back to general.
>
> Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
>
> Melissa

0
twogilvy (1078)
8/29/2005 2:24:47 PM
Thanks for your response.

I tried saving the file as .txt and then opened that file up again (treating
the column as text).  That worked, but I still can't saved the file as a
..csv...it converts the column back to general.

Melissa

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

> Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat
> the column as text (last dialog)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Tom Ogilvy
>
> "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
> > application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code),
> they
> > are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they
> switch
> > back to general.
> >
> > Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
> >
> > Melissa

0
MelissaM (4)
8/29/2005 2:36:06 PM
Do not re-open the CSV file in Excel - you'll always see the ZIP codes as
numbers.  Check it instead in Notepad or some other text editor.  You should
see the leading zeros there, meaning it will import correctly into your other
program

"MelissaM" wrote:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I tried saving the file as .txt and then opened that file up again (treating
> the column as text).  That worked, but I still can't saved the file as a
> .csv...it converts the column back to general.
>
> Melissa
>
> "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
>
> > Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to treat
> > the column as text (last dialog)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tom Ogilvy
> >
> > "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
> > > application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code),
> > they
> > > are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they
> > switch
> > > back to general.
> > >
> > > Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
> > >
> > > Melissa

0
DukeCarey (494)
8/29/2005 3:38:19 PM
Everything in a CSV is text.  The conversion is occuring when you open it in
Excel.

As Duke said, open the CSV in notepad, wordpad or word and you should see
how it is being stored in the CSV.  My post was to keep Excel from
converting it when it is opened in Excel. If this isn't the target
application to open the file, then  your work is already done - now it is a
task of understanding.

--

> Thanks for your response.
>
> I tried saving the file as .txt and then opened that file up again
(treating
> the column as text).  That worked, but I still can't saved the file as a
> .csv...it converts the column back to general.
>
> Melissa
>
> "Tom Ogilvy" wrote:
>
> > Change the file extension to .txt and use the text import wizard to
treat
> > the column as text (last dialog)
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Tom Ogilvy
> >
> > "MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
> > > application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip
code),
> > they
> > > are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they
> > switch
> > > back to general.
> > >
> > > Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
> > >
> > > Melissa

0
twogilvy (1078)
8/29/2005 4:48:16 PM
Melissa,

Anything in a text file is just that.  There is no text, number, or any
other hidden designation.  Opening the saved text file with NotePad is a
useful way to see what it put in the file.  What you see is everything in
the file (except you can't see the line-feeds at the end of a line, but you
can see their effect).  The sheet should have been written to the text file
exactly as it appears in the sheet.  It's when you open a text file with
Excel that it's getting interpreted as a number, left zeroes are dropped,
and things like that.

If you're saving the sheet as a text file in order to open it later in
Excel, you probably shouldn't.  Save it as an Excel workbook, and all the
attributes (number formatting) will be saved with it.  If you're saving it
in order to have it read by another program, NotePad tells you exactly what
that program will see.  No more, no less.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"MelissaM" <MelissaM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I need my file to be saved in CSV format (to import into another
> application).  When I format the zip codes as Text or Special(zip code),
> they
> are correct in XLS format, but when I open the file in CSV format they
> switch
> back to general.
>
> Any solution? work  around?  Thanks so much for your help in advance!!
>
> Melissa

0
someone798 (944)

how to save word doc on usb flash card?
How do I save a doc in word from my PC desktop using a usb flash card (sony usb 2.0) 128M? what exact steps do I take to transfer this to my mac laptop (have word for mac) , work on the document there, then use the card to save changes on the apple and load them on to my pc desktop (and vice-versa). many thanks for a great forum. I'm not sure if it's advisable to save Word files directly to a USB stick. I think there's still a discussion going on (saving directly to floppy disks can cause some trouble, so don't do it), so for the time being, I'd recommend saving yo...

color coding a stacked column graph
Hi. I'd really appreciate any kind of help. I'm trying to make a stacked column graph with this data: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 11th 12th C2360a 8450 8000 2900 750 11800 9800 2900 20750 865 2928 5800 26950 HM HM Skulls Tires w/ Rims P&S HM Turnings HM Lime Dolag Borings Shred I am not too sure how to organize this data, for one, to properly do this. Anyhow, first, I made a stacked column graph (changing series in rows --> columns) with the first two rows of the data. The problem that I'm faced with is that, what I would like to do is change the color o...

Importing large tab-delimited text files?
I deal with very large data sets that are in tab-delimited .txt format. Many times, there are more than 256 columns of data. The Microsoft Knowledge Base had an article titled "Sample Macro to Import Data with More Than 256 Fields or Columns". This could do the trick for me if I could modify the macro to accomodate tab-delimited formats. Q1: Could anyone tell me how to modify the macro described above for tab-delimited .txt files? Q2: Does anyone know of a bulk file conversion utility that would change a tab-delimited text file to a CSV format? Thanks a bunch, Mark R-S Ma...

Folder/Directory listings saved in Excel?
Is it possible to save (to a file) a listing of the contents of a folder or directory? This would be useful for comparing names of files in say two different folders. It would also be good to save other attributes for the files - not just the names. I know there are non-MS downloads available to do this, but I'd rather have a MS-approved way of doing it. Surely some VB guru can come up with a little program to do this? I have a folder of files (.html). My users were to provide me a file of jpgs - 1 jpg per html. I know I have jpgs without htmls, and htmls wiithout jpgs. I ...

Zip code lookup
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! On 3/22/10 6:24 PM, pastortom@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: > Intel I want to enter a zip code in sheet 1 column D and return a county > name from sheet 2 to sheet 1 column E. Help! Assuming that you have table of county names and zip codes in sheet 2, then you simply need a hlookup formula in each cell of column E in...

Advanced Filtering
Hello, I've got a worksheet with four columns, one of which is a user name. I would like to take all the user names that contain numbers (and their respective data) and put it into a separate worksheet. So far, I haven't had any luck doing this with any combination of wildcard operators. The format of the user names are two or three letters and then 4 numbers, or they are entirely text. So the list has data like abc1234, ab1234 and abcdef. I want all the abc1234 and ab1234 entries in a separate list. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Maybe you could use a helper column and filt...

Change a date to text Month
I have a standard date (06/01/2004) I want to change that to "June". I don't mean to just format it to display "June" I want the cell text to be "June". I know I have done this before but for the life of me I can't remember or find the solution. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Michael Hi in a helper cell: =TEXT(A1,"MMMM") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Michael" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:16c301c499ba$5bab0d40$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a standard date (06...

RE: Contacts not saving
When I receive an e-mail, I have the option to save the contact's details into my contacts folder. Which I do, only to find five minutes later, the option to save the contact reappeared and it no longer in my contact list. Please help? -- Ananda Signing on with a Live ID to Windows Live in WLM or not signing in. If you click to save the contact and immediately access Contacts(Control Shift C) is the contact present ? Fyi...Ensure you are reading the message in the email account folder and not the Quick views prior to attempting to save the contact. -- ...winston...

Create DSN by programming code
hi all, I am a newbie in VC++. Any body know how to create DSN to connect to MS Access(mdb) file by programming code ? I don't want to set DSN from Control Panel (Data Sources (ODBC)) It is because I need to deploy my program to 50 Win2000 machines. Please help. Thank you very very much. alan Hello > hi all, > > I am a newbie in VC++. > Any body know how to create DSN to connect to MS Access(mdb) file by > programming code ? > > I don't want to set DSN from Control Panel (Data Sources (ODBC)) > > It is because I need to deploy my program to 50 Win2000 ...

Conditional formatting #62
can i select multiple columns at once so i can apply conditional formatting to all of them at once rather than individually. each column that i want to select is 6 columns apart? Any suggestions? Have you tried and failed or? Could depend upon cell references if using Formula Is: Select B, G and L and Format>CF>Formula is: =$A1="qwerty" Works OK for me because $A is a fixed column reference A1 would get all messed because it is relative. Or Equal to 67 works fine also. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:33:54 -0000, mcgrath383 <mcgrath383@gmail.co...

Copy empty cells from one workbook to another
Hello, Sorry for posting 2 times. Date & time in my computer were not correctly set. In addition to what I've written before, here is the code I wrote: Sub Dataacquire() Workbooks.Open "data.xls" Worksheets("sheet1").Range("b1:d19").Copy _ ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("sheet1").Range("b1:d19") ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=False End Sub My problem that empty cells are not copied as empty and because of this I get an error messages in other worksheets (like #VALUE). How Can I solve this problem ? Thank you David Cohen ...

help with coding
Hi All, I have been doing some search on this topic and require some coding help. I want to create a login form which checks for username, pwd and securitylevel and accordingly give access to certain queries , forms and reports. I do not want to use the Access user level security wizard and want to create a separate security module. I have come across this code posted by Klatuu which is probably the solution i am looking for. Public Function SetSecurityProp(UserInitials As String, SecurityLevel As Integer) As Boolean Dim prp As Property Const conPropNotFound As Integer = 3270 ...

Disable Formatting marks when using MS Word 2003 in Outlook
I'm using Outlook 2003 with Word 2003 as my editor. While cutting and pasting a web page into a new msg Outlook started displaying the Formating marks like the Paragraph symbol, spacing, etc. This occurs for both new messages and replies. I want to turn displaying these marks off while using Word 2003 as my editor but have been unable to do so. They remain unless I remove Word as my Outlook editor. Thanks in advance for any help Harold Load up Word, click on Tools, then Options. In the View tab, there is a section called Formatting marks. You probalby have the "All" ...

reports saved as 2003 format
I built a database in 2007, then saved as 2003 so it can be used by others in the office. reports work fine in 2007, says docmd was cancelled when used in 2003. while in 2003, I am unable to build a new report in design or with the wizard. So you created an ACCDB file, and converted it to an MDB (2002/3 format.) In the database, you have used some code like this to open the report: DoCmd.OpenReport "Report1", acViewReport and this doesn't work in Access 2003. There could be several things here. For example, if you just applied a different filter in A2003, and it happ...

date text to change colour when it gets over six months
Working in excel table, I would like to get the text to change colour automatically once it has been on the table for over six months 1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A10). Please note that the cell reference A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula =DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"m")>=6 4. Click Format Button>select the formatting 5. Hit OK If this post h...

Suddenly Save and Save as greyed out in Excel 2003
I use a networked pc and laptop. My Save and Save As applications on the Excel 2003 toolbar have suddently become greyed out. Other users of shared spreadsheets do not have this problem. I do not have the problem with any other Office products. I can use Ctrl "S" or "Close" to get around the problem but this does not help with new workbooks where I need to select the correct location in which to save the file. Any suggestions for a quick fix? ...

"L" shaped text box
I am using Publisher 2003 to create a newsletter. On one of the pages I have some graphics going down the right side of the page that stops about three-fourths down the page. Is there a way to format a text box to take advantage of the space on the left and then continue the text box under the graphic utilizing the full width of the rest of the page? Thank you. Enjoy your day. Mike Open help, type wrap. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mike Reshetar" <mikeresh@comcast.net> wrote in message n...

Opening an attachment without saving
When trying to open a pdf file attachment the system will only allow the file to be saved. I can open nearly every other type attachment without saving but cannot open pdf. It is only I this system. If I forward the email to another computer I can open it fine. Do you get an error message? What version of Outlook? -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Save Embedded Pictures in Their Original Format -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 -- "Bri...

Can't save Excel to network/mounted volume

Match 2 different zip code lists
I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a zip code column, a counties column and states column that I want to match to a smaller 4,000 zip code list- with a zip code column & dollar amount column. Or even, use all the Illinois zip codes matched to a smaller IL zip codes list- so I can match same zip codes and corresponding county? Now, they are set up on separate workbooks or worksheets. thanks. Will123 wrote: > I have a large 42,000 list of US zip codes which each row (42,000 rows) has a > zip code column, a counties column and states ...

Error in Code
Following is some VBS code I have in my Custom Form developed in Outlook 2003. Line 61 is giving me an error stating: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'Item.GetInspector.ModifiedFormPages' Line No: 61 If you look Line 51 is the same method and it works fine. The funny thing is when I run the code, I get the error, I continue on to the Form, and the code after it works. The code that follows line 61 is dependent on line 61 as evident by if I ' comment it out, I get a separate error asking for objPage2. The code also works if I change the value of one of...

Formatting problem with linked files
I have 2 worksheets linked. The text changes on the 2nd file when I change the first, but if I change the color of the text, it doesn't update. Any ideas? Hi can't be done with formulas / links as formulas only return values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Cindy wrote: > I have 2 worksheets linked. The text changes on the 2nd > file when I change the first, but if I change the color > of the text, it doesn't update. Any ideas? Thanks, but it's just simple text. Is there any way around it? >-----Original Message----- >Hi >can't be d...

Tender Type Scan Code
Hi everyone, What does the field Scan Code do when creating or editing a tender type? Does it allow me to select a tender type with a barcode scanner? Thanks in advance Rance Edwards Scan codes are used with programmable keyboards (ie PREH keyboards)...here's the help guide summary on scan codes pasted below: Scan code: The keyboard macro code used to directly advance to the tender type during a point-of-sale transaction (only if the keyboard has macro definition capabilities). For example, assume you have a programmable keyboard and want to program a code for the Cash tender type...

Copy & paste conditional format
I have several workbooks with monthly sheets in each. I need to format one cell to print differently than the previous cell if this cell is greater than the previous cell. I thought I could do a conditional format and then use fill handle to format the other cells as you would a formula and the reference to the cell being checked would change appropriately. I even took out the $ absolute reference symbol hoping it would make a difference. It doesn't. I tried copying and paste special, still nothing. It will add the conditional format, but it still references the cell entered in the ...

Long Save Times with Linked Workbooks in XP
I recently upgraded a clients workstation to XP Pro from 98 SE and everything in terms of network and PC functionality is great. The problem is that a large custom linked workbook now takes almost 30 seconds to save both locally and over the network. After finding this problem, this is actually the case for all the XP systems on the network (on systems that have a very fast i.e 2.4 Ghz or higher CPU and plenty of RAM). Its does not appear to be a computer bandwith issue but rather something with XP that is causing this operation to run very slowly. Are there any settings I might ...