xp wont open .xls file

I have been sent an .xls file on email which my new
computer will not open. Have M/S office installed but
cant open the drat thing. Any help please ??
0
anonymous (74719)

So what happens?

--

No private emails please, for everyone's
benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup.

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Redfred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been sent an .xls file on email which my new
> computer will not open. Have M/S office installed but
> cant open the drat thing. Any help please ??

0
terre081 (3244)
6/11/2004 9:01:01 PM
Hi
what error message do you get?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Redfred wrote:
> I have been sent an .xls file on email which my new
> computer will not open. Have M/S office installed but
> cant open the drat thing. Any help please ??
0
frank.kabel (11126)
6/11/2004 9:01:11 PM
If you save the attachment to your harddrive, can you open it from there?
(using File|open???)

Redfred wrote:

> I have been sent an .xls file on email which my new
> computer will not open. Have M/S office installed but
> cant open the drat thing. Any help please ??

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Try saving the file instead, from the email.  Then start Excel and use
File - Open.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Redfred" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have been sent an .xls file on email which my new
> computer will not open. Have M/S office installed but
> cant open the drat thing. Any help please ??

0
nowhere1083 (630)
6/12/2004 4:04:51 AM
that sure has helped me, thanks very much
Redfred

0
anonymous (74719)

xp/vista incompatability?
I created several pub files using office 2007. I pasted in multiple Word docs created with two computers, one using XP, the other using Vista. The files using docs from both computers will not open ("publisher cannot open this file" error). I ran a test with 6 Word docs created on XP pasted into a publisher file, opened closed it with Vista computer, no problem. Pasted 1 Word doc created on Vista into the same file then closed and tried to reopen document but got the aformentioned error message. I tried the registry fixes Mary Sauer suggested but no results. Thumbnails of...

svhost.exe: A CRM-related File?
Hello all. McAfee VirusScan has suddenly notified me that it detected a "potentially unwanted file" on the machine that I am using to host an ActionPack version of Microsoft CRM. This is an SBS installation, with everything running on one test machine. Here is the warning from McAfee: ---------------- Potential Unwanted Program Detected! The file C:\WINNT\System32\svhost.exe is a Potentially Unwanted Program (ServU-Daemon) ---------------- When I try to move the file to the desktop, I am alerted that it is in use and cannot be moved (no surprise, huh?). The interesting thin...

Installation of Office XP SP3 issue...
I am using the Outlook 2002 client. Since I have installed Office XP "Service Pack 3", I have noticed that each time a mail message arrives in my mailbox, a window pop's up stating that ... A program is trying to access email addresss you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? etc... This is really annoying. How do I turn this off?? Thanks, Brad See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outl...

After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it
The subject line says it all. On my Toshiba Tablet PC, "After XP sp2 upgrade, Outlook 2003 crashes every time a Contact is saved or links to other contacts added to it" (via the Contact's "Contacts..." link button). The error signature is always the same: AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 11.0.6353.0 AppStamp:408f2937 ModName: mso.dll ModVer: 11.0.6360.0 ModStamp:40d147de fDebug: 0 Offset: 0001f0e3d And I always send a report to Microsoft (about 115K each), but there is no response giving a fix as there sometimes is. With www.Microsoft.com -> Windows Update, I ha...

PST file Size Limit #3
IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! 2Gb "Zahid" <Zahid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88ED796B-D64A-4D1E-A866-90BE78A62456@microsoft.com... > IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! "Zahid" <Zahid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88ED796B-D64A-4D1E-A866-90BE78A62456@microsoft.com... > IS there a size limit for a PST data file in MS Outlook 2002 ? Thanks ! 1.87GB (which is usually referred to as the 2GB limit). Vanguard <vanguard.code@comcast...

Opening Excel 2007 in Excel 2000
HELP! My new Windows 7 computer came with a trial version of Office 2007. I did not want to buy 2007. When I opened my old Excel files they opened in XL2007 and I was asked to input product key. I did not , but proceeded to update my spreadsheets and saved them as compatible with 97-2003 XL. Now the trial period is over and I cannot modify these files--only view or print. Any new data I download online open automatically in 2007 XL as do any existing spreadsheets I open. How do I get downloads or existing spreadsheets to open in the older version of XL which I have installed o...

Office XP transfer of files to new PC
I am transfering files from my old PC to a new one and I want to take my Office XP just as it is on the old one to the new one; settings and all. Anyone know how to do this? First, you must reinstall Office. Then you can configure Outlook to use the same Outlook Data File (PST file) you were using before instead of the new blank one it created when you installed Outlook: - Go to Tools > Options > Mail Setup > Data Files > Add... - Add the PST you'd like as your new default, then Close > OK to exit the Options dialog - Go to Tools > E-mail Accounts > View or chan...

Detecting Shift key when form is opened
What is the best way to tell if the Shift key is held down when a form is opened? The form is being opened from a toolbar. I don't want to react to the Shift key's being pressed after the form is opened. I only want to react if the Shift key was being held down when the toolbar option was clicked. Also, is there a way to do this for reports? Thanks in advance. James ...

How to add DHCP mgmt console to XP
Hi Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look into the current lease list from an XP client? How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? Thanks Franz Maybe RDC into the SBS from the XP client? -Larry -Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit. -Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com > Hi > > Is there a way I can manage DHCP running on SBS2003, or at least look > into the current lease list from an XP client? > How can I run the dhcpmgmt.msc from an XP client? > Thanks > Franz Tha...

Pub 98 files on pub 2000???
I keep getting the error message that my new Pub. 2000 can't open files produced in Pub 98. Yet... Microsoft says if I re-save the file in 2000 some data will be lost but I can re-run the file! How can I save something that won't load!!! Help before I go nuts! Hi Stan R. (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I keep getting the error message that my new Pub. 2000 || can't open files produced in Pub 98. Yet... Microsoft || says if I re-save the file in 2000 some data will be lost || but I can re-run the file! How can I save something that...

Microsoft Office XP excel 2003
When I open Excel 2003 the splash screen hangs for 30 seconds to about a minute and then excel opens and behaves normally. All other office programs such as Word etc open quickly and behave normally. If Excel is opened in safe mode , the program opens rapidly without any splash screen at all. Any explanations and indeed a cure for this behaviour ? Regards -- FLYNNE When you open excel in safe mode, you're not opening the addins or stuff in your XLStart folder or your customized toolbar. If you don't have lots of addins turned on and don't have lots of stuff in your XLS...

Publisher 2002 photo and graphic problems on xp
Microsoft Publisher 2002 works well on my old computer with Windows 98. However, I installed Pub. 2002 in my new computer with Windows XP and have many problems with photos and graphics just showing outline or no image at all. Is 2002 compatable with Windows XP? Yes, Publisher 2002 is compatible with Windows XP, it should work better than it did on 98. View, pictures, detailed display. If this isn't the solution.... Even though your computer is new, it doesn't necessarily mean your video driver is up to date. Try this: Slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel,...

Opening other users Cals and Inbox
I was under the impression someone with admin rights could view inbox and cals by default of other users. The company I work for wants the managers to be able to do this for all their people. Is there a way I can do this on the Exchange server? Hi Ken! This is not like this way. As administrator u r able to grant those permissions to some users, but I would not do this, because it could be against some laws of privacy! So, just be careful! Greetz Matthias "Ken Cheney" <digexrules@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23pLG672$FHA.1256@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... >I was...

when outlook opens, it doesn't default to send/receive
When I open outlook, I have to click on send/receive to get mail and i do the same to refresh future incoming mail. I want outlook to show all my e mail when I open the program You dont mention OL version. Perhaps you need to check mail options and set it when to check "inron1" <inron1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DE654C0-FDE9-4D95-B5E0-20B9188E859E@microsoft.com... > When I open outlook, I have to click on send/receive to get mail and i do > the same to refresh future incoming mail. I want outlook to show all my e > mail when I open the prog...

Money 2001 and xp #2
Hi, I've been using money for some time but just recently I keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be preformed " and each time I go from one account to onther this box keeps poping up and then the other box opens asking do I want to send this report to Microsoft can you suggest for me what to do i CAN'T SEEM TO GET ONTO MICROSOFT TO HELP ME OUT Regards Robert (Australia ) In microsoft.public.money, Robert Herod wrote: >I've been using money for some time but just recently I >keep on getting this message " this opperation cannot be &g...

lost import files
Tried importing .pst files to an XP machine from a 2000 machine. The inbox emails did not transfer and now they are not even visible on the original computer. Did they get lost and deleted, or are they just hiding somewhere? Please help! thanks, mike ...

Excel program tries to install when opening the file
When trying to open an excel document from explorer, a dialogue box appears for installing excel from the Microsoft Small Business disk. However, if you open an excel file from within the application, the document is brought up. In other words, if I open excel and then request the appropriate file, the document can be retrieved. If I try to open the file directly from explorer, it asks me to load the installation disk. Hi maybe the following helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265194 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Rockin4k" <Rock...

Folder sharing in XP Home vs. XP Pro?
Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think I've done anything different between the two machines when sharing out folders. Yousuf Khan "Yousuf Khan" <bbbl67@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b4001f8$1@news.bnb-lp.com... > Why is it that I can mount shared folders coming from my desktop running > XP Pro onto my laptop running XP Home, but not vice-versa? I don't think > I've done anything different between the two machines when shar...

Help, Outlook will not open!
Outlook 2000. Last night I was attempting to email 4 large files (about 3 megs each), when I woke up this morning it still said "sending 1 of 4" so I closed Outlook and now it won't open. I run the Office "detect & repair" but it still won't open. HELP, my life is in there. -- Thanks in advance... Bob I forgot to mention, I do have a high speed internet connection. Bob "Bob Newman" <bobnewman@att.net> wrote in message news:GvScd.709$si.99@lakeread04... > Outlook 2000. Last night I was attempting to email 4 large files (about 3 > me...

XP Pro desktop Search updates
Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. The latest update is 4 and I have not installed that. Zeus cf. http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windowsexperience/archive/2008/06/03/windows-search-4-0-released-to-web.aspx & http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940157 Zeus wrote: > Need to know the numbers of updates to XP desktop search. Particularly the > one that lost me the dog (Search Companion) and gave me Desktop Search. > The > latest update is 4 and I have...

Can't Send Messages Using Outlook Web Access & XP
Our users with Windows XP cannot send messages using OWA. I've read a few KB articles about some incompatabilities between XP and OWA, but none of the proposed fixes (using the "basic" rather than "premium" client, or changing the security settings in IE) seem to solve this last problem. When they click on "send", it generates an unspecified "error on page". The problem occurs using IE and Firefox, but just on XP machines. My Windows 2000 machine works fine using IE and even my Macintosh using Safari (gasp!) works. ...

Opening Files on other User's Desktops
I may have made an error in judgment by asking this question again, but having played around with it, I can state the concern properly... I have created a worksheet which has to run on various user's PC's. It takes two Do Not Call List area code files, joins them, reformats the data and then determines if any if the data is also found in data from a reverse telephone directory, and creates a list of numbers that can be called. The three data files used are downloaded from the Internet, onto the user's Desktop. My Excel spreadsheet needs to open the files. The users...

AfxDaoInit fails on Win XP SP2
Hi, after deinstalling some test applications and then installing the Win XP SP2 a call to AfxDaoInit() fails with a CDaoException. This usually means that the Jet is missing. Windows however reports that the Jet is now part of the system so its not possible to install the latest Microsoft Jet 4.0 SP as well. Any idea how to check the presence of the Jet and solve the issue? Thank you for your time and help. Regards Thomas Trick ...

Open embedded object (xls) with trigger from another shape
I have an embedded object, in this case an Excel spreadsheet (although I may also need to include some PDFs). can set the action to open the embedded document with a click on the object itself, but I want to have it open with a click on a different shape, an action button. It's been a while since I've had to try to do something like this, and I haven't been able to figure out if this is possible or not. I don't see the "open object" option anywhere in the animation menu, and it seems that is the only way that you can set up a shape to use a trigger. Powerp...

Error on opening Outlook2000
When trying to open Outlook2000, I get this: Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Unintalling and reinstalling office does not cure the problem. Any ideas???? I'm having the same problem as Tim. "Microsoft Outlook has encounterd a problem and needs to close." I'd appreciate any suggestions. >-----Original Message----- >When trying to open Outlook2000, I get this: > >Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to >close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. > >Unintalling ...