xls extension

when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I
stop this happening?
0
winjon (1)

Hi

If you go to Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu,
choose Folder Options and then click the View Tab.  Scroll
down until you find the check box that says 'Hide file
extensions for know file types.  If you click this box to
check it on, your .xls should be hidden.  You will
probably have to close Excel and restart it and then it
should work.

Hope this helps

Ann

0
ann7958 (20)

regestering icons for file extension
hi group, i have a problem that i am unable to search about that because i don't know anything about that so i am posting this problem. In vc 6.0 all the .dsw and .dsp files are given one icon and when programmer double clicks on this icon the IDE will get open and that project will be loaded. how this is done. i don't know whether this is done from 1)IDE application (programmetically) or 2)this icon is mapped with some exe. but in first case when we compile and the exe will be associated with some icon specified in .rc file so my problem is how to associate a icon with some file ...

xls extension
when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I stop this happening? Hi If you go to Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu, choose Folder Options and then click the View Tab. Scroll down until you find the check box that says 'Hide file extensions for know file types. If you click this box to check it on, your .xls should be hidden. You will probably have to close Excel and restart it and then it should work. Hope this helps Ann >-----Original Message----- >when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I >stop...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

xls attachment became dat
Hi all. Recently i received an email that was send to me and my colleague. The attachment is of xls but when i received it, it was in the form of dat. My colleague received it as xls. Is there anything wrong with my outlook? Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? These two are very different programs where one can handle Rich Text messages (Microsoft Outlook) while the other cannot. The common message formats between Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express is Plain Text and/or HTML. Therefore I would double check with the sender to verify that they sent the message in Pla...

Saving .xls without macro
Hello, I did a search for this issue, but I can't find anything related t it. This is my issue: I have an .xlt which contains macro, at the end of the macro I save th resulting sheets as .xls. The resulting sheets are saved with origina macro. I wonder is there a way that I could save the file without th macro. I am using this code to save my file as .xls. File_Save_Name = Sheets("Menu").Range("D6").Value & Format _(Now "mmddyy") & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=File_Save_Name, FileFormat:= _ xlNormal, Password:="",...

controling a .xls from another .xls
does anyone know if it is possible to control one excell file from another. i.e lets say there are two files: a.xls & b.xls in "a.xls" cell A1 we input the number "100", is it possible for this number to automatically be populated in to cell A1 of "b.xls"??? if so how??? thanks guys -- on-a-mission ------------------------------------------------------------------------ on-a-mission's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31630 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=513234 In cell A...

launching xls in web browser
I am trying to launch two instances of the same xls file from a browser. The first one launches successfully in a new browser window. The second one also launches successfully. However, the first browser window becomes blank after the second report launches. When I close the first browser window the second window becomes blank as well. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? ...

importing .xls chart info to .xls calendar
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How do I take the information in an .xls file and import it to a blank .xls calendar? ...

I'm getting files saved with names like 48A52100 with no .xls f.
I'm getting spreadsheets saved on our network with an 8-character string as the filename and no .xls file extension. Using the "Open with . . ." option they successfully open with Excel. Does anyone know why this is happening? -- Iain N Black Kelton - These are temp files created when Excel saves a workbook. Normally they are deleted when the save is complete. This might fall under the funny behaviors that occur when working with files on a network. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech...

Opening xls files in word
When I open an excel file it opens in word. If I open Excel and then open the file it opens properly. How do I change the default to open all excel files in excel? Rich Rich, Open up Windows Explorer, click the 'Tools' toolbar and then 'Folder Options...'. Click the 'File Types' tab, and scroll down to find the XLS file extension. Highlight "XLS" - I think it will say that it's set to open with Microsoft Word. If so, click the 'Change' button and set it to open with Microsoft Ex...

xls:1 but no xls:2
Hi, I have a workbook which opens with the window title filename.xls:1 as if there are two or more views of the same workbook. However, there is only one view I can find (I have minimised the window within Excel, looked for other Excel windows but to no avail). When I try to close the file (ctrl-w or clicking the lower x) the workbook disappears (as expected) but Excel behaves as if I have just closed one of several views: it doesn't ask me if I would like to save changes. However, when I close the Excel program, it behaves as if I am closing filename.xls and asks if I ...

Convert CSV Files to XLS
Hello: I have approximately 1300 .csv files that I need to convert to .xls files so I can extract data from a master spreadsheet. Excel apparently requires a .csv file be open to extract the data. I could open each one individually and do a save as, but that would be rather tedious. Is there a way to programmatically do this. The .csv files are in the following format: xxnzz.csv where: xx is 01-29 (notice the leading 0) n is n zz is 01-110 (notice the leading 0 on 1 digit numbers and that the highest number is 3 digits, 2 digit numbers have no leading 0 i.e. 21n99. "Pigs can't be...

I do not have Excel, can I read .xls files sent to me?
I do not have Excel, yet I am sent .xls files. Is there anyway I can read these files even though I do not have Excel? I have WorksSuite 2003. Hi you may try the free Excel viewer: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/officeupdate/CD010225881033.aspx "RevEPR" wrote: > I do not have Excel, yet I am sent .xls files. Is there anyway I can read > these files even though I do not have Excel? I have WorksSuite 2003. Try the free Excel viewer from Microsoft http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4EB83149-91DA-4110-8595-4A960D3E1C7C&displaylang=EN -...

import groups from xls
In outlook 20000, If I have an excel spreadsheet with First, Last and email address for 50 people, can I import it as a group into outlook? -- http://QLiner.com Authority does not make you a leader It gives you the opportunity to be one. - Anonymous You can import it into your Contacts folder. You'd still have to then either create a distribution list manually or add each of these 50 people to the To or BCC field for an email message. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 Author, Absolute Beginner's Guide...

Save .xls as fixed width text or csv
How do I save an Excel file as a Fixed Width Text file? Brian Save it as a space delimited text file *.prn -- HTH Nick Hodge Southampton, England nick_hodge@btinternet.com "Brian Jenkins" <bpjenkins@delinvest.com> wrote in message news:032301c38e92$77252bc0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > How do I save an Excel file as a Fixed Width Text file? ...

Open File gives me *.xls:1 and *.xls:2. What is this?
When I open a particular file provided by a client it opens two copies :1 and :2. and 1 is hidden. If there's a short explanation for what causes this and what it means I'd appreciate that. Otherwise what should I search under in Help or elsewhere for more info. Window|New window creates these windows. if book1.xls:1 is truely hidden, you can use windows|Unhide to, er, unhide it. After it's showing, you can click on the window you don't want and hit ctrl-w to close it. ex_king_john wrote: > > When I open a particular file provided by a client it opens two co...

Extracting OE 2007 Address book to .xls?
How can I extract OE 2007 Address book (or at least part of it?) in a spreadsheet? Thank you in advance, small caps Assuming OE 2007 = Outlook 2007 which ships with office: File, Import and Export or create a view with the fields you need and copy, then paste into Excel. See http://www.slipstick.com/Tutorials/copyto/excel.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outloo...

Multiple xls into one xls
I have 162 separate xls files that I have used for mail merges. All the fields (column headers) are identical, just the data is different. I would like to amalgamate all of these into one single xls file. How can I do this? I promise to use a database next time! :) Ron Thanks very much, quick too. :) James >-----Original Message----- >Try this > >http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm > > > >-- >Regards Ron de Bruin >(Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) >www.rondebruin.nl > > > >"James Searle" <jcsearle@accommsoft.co.uk> wrote in me...

Shared xls using ODBC/JET
Greetings. In a LAN, while a user is working on an XLS file, form many other hosts a tool I have to write should be able to view information from it (using ODBC). My test works only when the XLS file is closed. When it is opened (on the machine where they modify it through Excel), I get: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user... (Another strange case: it happened that my code receives 'actual' values when the xls is closed, 'possibly older values', without returning the above mentio...

how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro.
how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. "Daniel" wrote: > how do i password protect an .xls file? how do i unlock it for automation. > e.g. want to unlock and access a .xls from another .xls macro. > Do you want file protection or just workbook or worksheet protection? ...

Export xls to dbf
I have an excel file with some columns and headings, some columns have no data and others do. When I try to save it as a dbf file and then open it with DBase the empty fields at the end have all kinds of unreadable characters. Any solution? TIA_JACK ...

What does it mean to have a file name followed by .xls:1 etc.?
I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when I open it. They have the same names except that one is .xls:1 and the other ..xls:2 and I have not been able to find what this signifies. Those are multiple windows that view the same Excel file. You create them by selecting Window>New Window. If you close the :2 window, the other will still be open (but the :1 will no longer display) Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "KGAR" wrote: > I received an Excel spreadsheet that produces two separate spreadsheets when > I open it. They ha...

File extensions
I keep getting messages in Outlook Express when I have received an attachment file (pdf) that it has no associated program i.e adobe. I have to save the file on my desk top and then the extension is recognized. How can I fix this? I am sure that this used to work before. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://www.insideoe.com/...

Appendig all xls files in xls 2007
Does someone have a macro or script to append a bunch of xls files in a directory into 1 xls file? I am using Excell 2007. Thanks! See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm <alexis.benitez@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1182997136.017724.235780@w5g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Does someone have a macro or script to append a bunch of xls files in > a directory into 1 xls file? I am using Excell 2007. Thanks! > http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom E...

Opening XLS files directly
OK I apologize for the bad subject line but this is a strange problem. Guru's, I am at your mercy! Let me lay out some basic stuff. PC running Windows 2000 Pro Office 2000 with latest patches and updates installed 1.8 Ghz, 512 mb memory, over 80 gig's on hard drives available. When the user double-clicks on an Excel icon, Excel starts but before the sheet can be displayed an error box shows up. It states, "Cannot find the file "[file requested]" (or on of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are available."...