xls:1 but no xls:2

Hi,

I have a workbook which opens with the window title

filename.xls:1

as if there are two or more views of the same workbook. However, there
is only one view I can find (I have minimised the window within Excel,
looked for other Excel windows but to no avail).

When I try to close the file (ctrl-w or clicking the lower x) the
workbook disappears (as expected) but Excel behaves as if I have just
closed one of several views: it doesn't ask me if I would like to save
changes. However, when I close the Excel program, it behaves as if I am
closing filename.xls and asks if I want to save changes. As I work with
a large number of Excel files at any one time, this can become
confusing and could lead to saving stuff that I didn't want to save or
losing changes I have made.

In case it helps, if I set up a new view with Window -> New Window, I
get

filename.xls:3

implying that number 2 is floating around somewhere, I just can't find
it.

Any ideas?

Dave

--
DaveHawkey
0

If you don't see that other window (filename.xls:2), then it's either off the
screen or hidden.

I'd try this first, even though I don't think that this is the problem.
Window|Arrange|Tiled
(in xl2003 menus)
to see if it was just off the screen.
(I don't think that this is the problem)

The next thing is to look for hidden windows.
Window|unhide
(in xl2003 menus)
Then maybe tile the windows

And try the ctrl-w stuff to close the window(s) you don't want.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Copying from Excel
To all, Hoping someone can help me. I have a series of spreadsheets in excel that I use for calculations Once I impute my data and have the formulae calculate my data, I cop these spreadsheets into MS Publisher, format them and make my reports This has never caused me a problem until now. Today I was working along as usual but when I pasted one of m spreadsheets into Publisher, one particular cell (appearing about 3 times in one spreadsheet) had changed sizes. I checked the size of th cells (column) and verified that nothing had changed, I checked all th formatting and all was good, I che...

��ó3 ������ 23 1-1
In Midcareer, a Turn to Faith to Fill a Void By EDWARD WYATT and SIMON ROMERO Harriet E. Miers's decision to become an evangelical Christian coincided with a move toward the Republican Party ...

Office X 10.1.4 Updates
I have OS X 10.3.2 and Office X 10.1.4 on a dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. Are there any free updates for this verison of Office (Entourage, Word, Powerpoint, Excel)? Thanks. On 5/6/06 16:51, in article 1149522692.446438.124090@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, "asbpe@bellsouth.net" <asbpe@bellsouth.net> wrote: > I have OS X 10.3.2 and Office X 10.1.4 on a dual 2 GHz PowerPC G5. > > Are there any free updates for this verison of Office (Entourage, Word, > Powerpoint, Excel)? > > Thanks. > Yes, there is an update to 10.1.6 available here: <http://www.microso...

2 exchange servers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C3C3AC.593BD330 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Greetings all, We have an exchange 5.5 server at the moment that hosts about 7 domain = names. We are adding an Exchange 2003 server on another domain in = parallel that will host the same domains. How can I have these two share = the same domains? All incoming mail goes to the exchange 5.5 and I want = that server to ship it to the 2003 server. Is this possible?=20 Thanks in advance and happy holidays...

Unusual Chart Type? #2
I am running Excel2000. I wish to create a chart that does not seem t be supported in Excel. The data consists of a table of dates an �states� (let�s call them A, B, C, D and E). One column is dates an the next is states. Dates will be in order. A given date could hav any state. So the first col might be {03-Apr, 04-Apr, 05-Apr, 06-Apr 07-Apr, 08-Apr, �} while the second might be {A,B,D,B,B,E, �}. I wis to plot this data with the state on the Y axis and the date on the axis. I need an X-Y plot, not cols or bars. This is easy if th states are numbers. But I cannot find a way to do t...

runtime error 1004 #2
I'm having this problem with this code when i try to run this in spanish version but no in english version: Public Function gf_CopyPasteData(s_range As String, s_range2 As String, i_start_sheet_index As Integer, i_end_sheet_index As Integer) As Integer 'copies data from sheet one sheet to another sheet If CInt(Range(s_range).Count) = CInt(Range(s_range2).Count) Then Sheets(i_start_sheet_index).Range(s_range).Copy _ Destination:=Sheets(i_end_sheet_index).Range(s_range2) 'validation passed, both ranges are of the same size gf_CopyPasteData =...

Series Posting #2
As I try to use the Transactions => Financial => Series Posting and try to post the batches, i get the following message: A get/change operation on table 'SY_posting_journal_destination' cannot find the table i don't know if this is affecting my database in any way, does anyone have a solution for this problem? Thank You, Fadi Tawakol Fadi, You can try opening SQL Server Management Studio and search for the SY02200 table in your company database. If it's not there, then... it's gone and you will need to recreate it. To recreate the table, go to Microsoft Dyn...

Trying to match 1 value to multiple columns
I have a spreadsheet with several different worksheets. On Worksheet 1, I have the following: (Col A) Structure Number, (Col B) Opening Height 1, (Col C) Opening Direction 1 (N, S, E, W), (Col D) Opening Height 2, (Col E) Opening Direction 2 (N, S, E, W), (Col F) Opening Height 3, (Col G) Opening Direction 2 (N, S, E, W), (Col H) Opening Height 4, (Col I) Opening Direction 4 (N, S, E, W) There are over 100 rows, 1 for each structure. Some structures have just 1 opening, and some have multiple openings. On Worksheet 2, the user will enter: (Col A) Structure Number and (Col B...

Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac 1.0 for blu-ray and video
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac 1.0 for blu-ray and video <br><br>Aunsoft iMedia Converter for Mac is the Mac application for Blu-ray movie and video lovers to easily share movies and recorded special moments on home theatre systems without the trouble of video formats. The iMedia Converter is a universal converter for Apple computers like iMac, MacBook. It is a combination of a Blu-ray ripper and a video converter. <br><br>Working as a Blu-ray ripper, you can insert home-made blu-ray vi...

Outlook2007 #2
Every time creating new user's account on the machine then try to configure outlook 2007 profile, outlook freezes and does not work properly I have to end the processor form task manager to close it. IT takes few days and then it starts to work fine. It is really pain to configure new outlook 2007 profile. Any quick respond will me highly appreciated. Please respond to "reem.trakhan@amicitia.co.uk" Please do not request replies to personal email addresses. Newsgroups work because everyone can read the answers posted back to the Newsgroup. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outl...

Missing row #2
A user has deleted a row that had an amount in it. Her rows are now number, 23, 24, 25, 27 (so row 26 is missing). Whenever she tries to total columns or rows, the number that is in that missing row is calculated in. How do I retrieve that row, or clear out the number? TIA. Kim Select rows 24 and 26, the whole rows and goto Format>Row>Unhide. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Kim" <Kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37603B87-33DA-4EB0-AC54-68F919F4A8B8@microsoft.com... > A user has deleted a row that ha...

Custom Charts #2
How do you make a chart with two sets of information? One being a area chart and the other being a line or column chart but each one on the same gridlines/graph. Hi, The simplest way is to create a chart of 1 type, Column for example, based on all the data. Then select a series, right click and pick Chart Type. Depending on the combination the same axis will be used. Cheers Andy playerbigdog wrote: > How do you make a chart with two sets of information? One being a area chart > and the other being a line or column chart but each one on the same > gridlines/graph. -- Andy ...

splitting 1 sheet to multiple sheets
I think I posted this in the wrong forum, so I am re-posting it here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! Hello everyone. I need some help, and always seem to find my answers here! I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of different accounts on it. Column F contains a code which determines what group the account belongs in. I need to split the data into separate spreadsheets based on this code. in addition, every code will not be there everytime. How do I write a macro to evaluate column F, and take all accounts with certain codes and move them to a new sheet. Also, how do I stop ...

Vlookup in 2 fields on another worksheet
On Sheet1 I have a list of dates in column B and a list of numbers in column C. I have data in all columns up to M. In sheet2 I have todays date in A1: =today() and a number in A2: 33 In sheet 2 I need a formula to lookup any row which matches todays date in column AND matches the number in A2. I then need to display all the row from column B:M. Many thanks STeve >I need a formula to lookup any row which matches todays date Can there be more than 1 row that meets this condition? Biff "Steve" <ball.steve@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1170796771.617433.224890@q2g...

xls extension
when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I stop this happening? Hi If you go to Windows Explorer and on the Tools menu, choose Folder Options and then click the View Tab. Scroll down until you find the check box that says 'Hide file extensions for know file types. If you click this box to check it on, your .xls should be hidden. You will probably have to close Excel and restart it and then it should work. Hope this helps Ann >-----Original Message----- >when I enter file on a header the extension xls is also printed. How do I >stop...

Outlook 2003 and Active Sync 3.7.1
Are there any known issues upgrading from Outlook 2002 to 2003 if you have a pocket PC and active sync 3.7.1? I have had a lot of trouble with the active sync product but it has now worked faithfully for a week, which is a new record. I don't want it to break with a new version of Outlook. active sync 3.7.1 is working fine for me under outlook 2003. however i've never done an upgrade of office. i always do a complete uninstall of the previous version, reboot, and then install the new version or just go with a clean install of operating system + office. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] ...

Excel Startup Error
Box was all ready unchecked. Tried checking it / saving, then uncheck save to make sure -- still have same issue. Thanks -- philale ----------------------------------------------------------------------- philalex's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1537 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26994 a couple of other things 1) Do you have an overactive virus scanner? (It will normally say virus scanning on the status bar) 2) Do you have journalling set up in Outlook? 3) Try renaming a file called Excel.xlb (Maybe hid...

Lines on 2 Axes for Graphs
Why do only 5 data lines show up on the graph, when data calls for a total of 8 lines to show? Thanks Do three of them have such low values they are not visible at the bottom of the chart? Or perhaps three series coincide with the series you can see, but are hidden behind the visible series. To investigate, select series 1, then press the Up arrow key to select all the other series in turn. Where does the selection jump to for the unseen series? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Grap...

Hide Global.xls (personal.xls) in project explorer
How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want my normal project there. Helge You can't hide it, but you could give it a password: Select your project Tools|VBAProject|Protection tab Give it a memorable password At least the project won't be too intrusive. nankerp wrote: > > How do I hide VBAProject(Global.xls) in project explorer. I just want > my normal project there. > > Helge -- Dave Peterson ...

sharing data between 2 apps
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C3FC62.29245F70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I wish to share a floating point array between two win32 apps. I am using FileMappingObject to send the data. If I send a pointer to the floating point array instead of the actual data can the second app access the floating point array? I know this is a dumb question, because memory sharing data between 2 processes requires more than just a pointer, but I feel that sending a pointer would be ...

exporting report to 1 html page
I have a report that when run shows our current open positions. I can choose to export the report in html format, however it does so and makes 3 different html files, one per page. I want to put the html file in our web-site via Dreamweaver so I want it to create just one file with all the listings instead of one file per page. How can I do this? Thanks, CEV Hello Chad, As far as I know, this feature is not available. Please rest assured that your feedback on this feature is routed to the proper channel. Also, you may want to consider SQL Server Reporting Service. You could use ...

Multiple SMTP Addresses #2
Can someone tell me how to set up multiple SMTP addresses however I only want them setup on one mail client. For Example: sam will only have two SMTP address of sam@domainA.com and sam@domainB.com while the rest of my users have xxx@domainA.com. Thanks. you add the second smtp address on the "email addresses" tab... "spinkid" <spinkid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A139BD2-E74C-40B5-BE03-2861881A4E29@microsoft.com... > Can someone tell me how to set up multiple SMTP addresses however I only want > them setup on one mail client. For Exa...

xls attachment became dat
Hi all. Recently i received an email that was send to me and my colleague. The attachment is of xls but when i received it, it was in the form of dat. My colleague received it as xls. Is there anything wrong with my outlook? Are you using Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express? These two are very different programs where one can handle Rich Text messages (Microsoft Outlook) while the other cannot. The common message formats between Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express is Plain Text and/or HTML. Therefore I would double check with the sender to verify that they sent the message in Pla...

RMS 1.3 Refreshed Software to Arrived Today
I just wanted to let everyone know that Microsoft has started to ship RMS 1.3 Refreshed Software on June 6, 2006. My just arrived in Canada June 12, 2006 From Fargo, ND after clearing customs. I know that there have been questions about it's release in the Newsgroup. Does anyone know a link where to find documentation and system requirements for the 1.3 revised version. It is my uderstanding that the 1.3 revised is so Store Operations can be installed on windows 2000 operating system. Any feed back is gratefull. "fabiano" wrote: > I just wanted to let everyone know ...

Pivot Table #2
I am trying to figure out how to add a third column to a pivot table. I have data that I need to look at side by side, not top to bottom. Any idea of how to add an additional column and move data there to look at it correctly? ...