xl2003 "cannot save - folder marked read only"

Windows XP professional
Windows 2003 professional
Both fully updated with service packs etc as of today.
Netware server

Load spreadsheet 1.xls from network folder
SaveAs as 2.xls to same network folder

Same user logged in, same folder, try on different
machines.
SaveAs works on all machines except a few which give the
error:
"Cannot save folder marked read only"
SaveAs always works on local drive
Any ideas ??
I have checked out KB180257
0
admin21 (1)

Hi
sounds more like a network issue (user access rights, etc.) and not
like an Excel error.

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

iainc wrote:
> Windows XP professional
> Windows 2003 professional
> Both fully updated with service packs etc as of today.
> Netware server
>
> Load spreadsheet 1.xls from network folder
> SaveAs as 2.xls to same network folder
>
> Same user logged in, same folder, try on different
> machines.
> SaveAs works on all machines except a few which give the
> error:
> "Cannot save folder marked read only"
> SaveAs always works on local drive
> Any ideas ??
> I have checked out KB180257

0
frank.kabel (11126)
5/26/2004 3:28:34 PM
Works fine with MSWord

0
anonymous (74722)
5/27/2004 12:23:08 PM
I'm working on a similar problem at my office.  I can save to a network share with WordPad, then when I save again, the file is marked Read-Only.  The client in my case is RDP through a 2003 Terminal Server or XP, the server is a 2000 Server or a NetApp box.

I think it may have something to do with SMB signing or a bug in XP.
See these MS KB articles listing hotfixes and workarounds.

KB 328170 - Open returns Read-Only or Access Denied
KB 326549 - can't change Read-Only attrib of folders
KB 814112 - Files open as Read-Only.

"iainc" wrote:

> Windows XP professional
> Windows 2003 professional
> Both fully updated with service packs etc as of today.
> Netware server
>
> Load spreadsheet 1.xls from network folder
> SaveAs as 2.xls to same network folder
>
> Same user logged in, same folder, try on different
> machines.
> SaveAs works on all machines except a few which give the
> error:
> "Cannot save folder marked read only"
> SaveAs always works on local drive
> Any ideas ??
> I have checked out KB180257

xl2003 "cannot save
Windows XP professional Windows 2003 professional Both fully updated with service packs etc as of today. Netware server Load spreadsheet 1.xls from network folder SaveAs as 2.xls to same network folder Same user logged in, same folder, try on different machines. SaveAs works on all machines except a few which give the error: "Cannot save folder marked read only" SaveAs always works on local drive Any ideas ?? I have checked out KB180257 Hi sounds more like a network issue (user access rights, etc.) and not like an Excel error. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany iainc ...