XL XP template, looking for non-printing objects

We have a hardcopy form that we can't edit (hardcopy submission of the form
is required). To make life easier for the current users, I'm putting
together an Excel template so they can fill in the information, then print
it right on this form instead of handwriting everything.

For labels, I added labels off the control toolbox and set the
properties/print object = False. This part works great.

Now I have an area of entry cells, all lumped together. I want to somehow
draw the eye to the appropriate cells for data entry, like a backcolor or
border, but I need something that has a printobject property I can set to
false, because I don't want to print anything but cell contents onto the
hardcopy form (the form is already 'dirty' and I don't want to add new
lines, shading, etc).

Is there anything else in Excel I can use to highlight cell ranges or
grouped cells, that won't print? I tried the rectangle (fill=none) but I
can't find a printobject property on that.

Any/all help appreciated!
Keith R

0
nospam7515 (2086)

Hi Keith,

> Now I have an area of entry cells, all lumped together. I want to somehow
> draw the eye to the appropriate cells for data entry, like a backcolor or
> border, but I need something that has a printobject property I can set to
> false, because I don't want to print anything but cell contents onto the
> hardcopy form (the form is already 'dirty' and I don't want to add new
> lines, shading, etc).

You might consider using one area for input and another area for printing.
Have the printing area have formulas pointing to the input area. That way
you can nicely lock up the output area so it cannot be tampered with.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
4/14/2004 4:59:36 PM
Here's what I have done, Keith. You can use the conditional formatting tip I
show here (tho you don't have to use a dropdown to use the tip):
http://www.theofficeexperts.com/excel.htm#DropdownLists

<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->
Hope this helps!
Anne Troy (better known as Dreamboat)
Author: Dreamboat on Word
Email: Dreamboat*at*Piersontech.com
Web: www.TheOfficeExperts.com
<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->

"Keith R" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> We have a hardcopy form that we can't edit (hardcopy submission of the
form
> is required). To make life easier for the current users, I'm putting
> together an Excel template so they can fill in the information, then print
> it right on this form instead of handwriting everything.
>
> For labels, I added labels off the control toolbox and set the
> properties/print object = False. This part works great.
>
> Now I have an area of entry cells, all lumped together. I want to somehow
> draw the eye to the appropriate cells for data entry, like a backcolor or
> border, but I need something that has a printobject property I can set to
> false, because I don't want to print anything but cell contents onto the
> hardcopy form (the form is already 'dirty' and I don't want to add new
> lines, shading, etc).
>
> Is there anything else in Excel I can use to highlight cell ranges or
> grouped cells, that won't print? I tried the rectangle (fill=none) but I
> can't find a printobject property on that.
>
> Any/all help appreciated!
> Keith R

0
dreamboat (74)

The problem with Email template.
Hi Another problem is that the users in the sub business units can't see the Email templates even they have the organization level rights to read. Anybody can help me? Thanks. Rich ...

Printing frustration
Greetings, I have been unable to fix a problem with printing in Outlook ever since I downloaded the XP service pack 2. My problem is that all HTML emails print in a very narrow column down the left side of the page. How do I get it to print normally...THANKS. John Check your printer properties. A new printer driver often corrects this behavior. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After scratching one...

XP and Money 2006
XP and Money 2006 Using XP home with Money 2006, is there a way to change the default music audio file that plays when Money 2006 loads? If I hear that same music audio file one more time I am going out and blow my first million on boiled New Orleans crawfish and also some Cajun Gumbo. You can change it by going to Tools->Settings->Program Settings. Click on 'Change Sounds', then 'Sounds' and scroll down to the 'Microsoft Money' section. The start-up sound is on the launch Money or Start Money setting Actually, you can do this outside of Money too, by g...

template wizard macro
IAm using template wizzard to save data to a database. I would like a click button on my form that will work the template wizzard as if you had chosen file, save or save as. If I try to record a macro for this it does not operate the template wizzard? Help I too am having problems with this. I want to force the file name but using Save or SaveAS in a macro bypasses the Wizard and does not save the data to the database. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks Roger "PaulB" wrote: > IAm using template wizzard to save data to a database. I would like a click > button...

changing default language in XL
I know this probably sounds completely stupid, but i have a swedish version of XL and want to change it to English, as well as not understanding swedish, i am not 100 percent on computers. can someone please help? Thanks Pete. I don't think you can. I think you have to buy the English version... ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com Check out the NEWsgroup stats! Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com "peter curran" <petercurran17@eircom.net> wrote in message news:cUiIf.5957$j7.214198@news.indigo.ie... >I know this probably sounds completely ...

Look at this package from M$
--ivtelxoethnivzpa Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="owjfpbnibkp"; type="multipart/alternative" --owjfpbnibkp Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="rubabijkdwz" --rubabijkdwz Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help maintain the security of your computer from these vuln...

print comments with cell label or name
How can I print comments, at page end, with cell label or given name instead of standard cell name like A1, C4 etc..? Thank you I'm sure you'll find some code here to meet your needs: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#copy HTH Jason Atlanta, GA "Mohammad" wrote: > How can I print comments, at page end, with cell label or given name instead > of standard cell name like A1, C4 etc..? > Thank you Jason, Thank you for the link. It is very helpfull. However it did not answer my question. I'll contact the owner of the link. Thanks again. "J...

Code that works on XP but not on Vista
Hi. I have this code in a switchboard form and it works perfectly in the windows xp but not on Vista. Why? I'm using Office 2003 Thanks, Marco "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61CB5394-E259-4B2E-9279-5C968E516387@microsoft.com... > Hi. > > I have this code in a switchboard form and it works perfectly in the > windows > xp but not on Vista. > > Why? > > I'm using Office 2003 > > Thanks, > Marco What code is that, then? sorry. Option Compare Database Option Explicit Const conNumButtons = 8 C...

will product key for XP media centre work for XP OEM disk?
Hi all, I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a product key for 'XP Media Centre' .. Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop? cheers On 6/10/2010 1:16 PM, 123Jim wrote: > Hi all, > I have a windows XP home OEM disk ... but I have a laptop with a product key > for 'XP Media Centre' .. > > Can I use this XP home OEM disk to install XP onto the Laptop? > > cheers > > Is the OEM disk for your laptop specifically? And does it have its own product key? If yes to both, it should wo...

printing baseline guides
Could someone please tell me how to avoid printing the guides on my final doc? Thanks Joanne Are you sure they aren't crop marks? In the print dialogue, advanced print options button, page settings, clear crop marks. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Joanne" <jobobbuss@sbcglobal.com> wrote in message news:umVTroCxFHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Could someone please tell me how to avoid printing the guides on my > final doc? > Thanks > Joanne Thank you, thank you Mary Mary Sauer w...

money 95 on XP
My parents have a old computer that is loaded up with a Windows 95 operating system. The operating system has Microsoft Money & Microsoft Works installed on it as it came bundled with the original Windows install disk. They have all their financial data entered into Microsoft Money and are at a stage in their life where they don't want to learn another program for looking after their finances. The computer they have is old and very slow and they are considering buying a lap top computer to replace it. If they buy a laptop computer that is preloaded with Microsoft...

XP Reinstallation Failure
In trying to reinstall XP-Pro on a Dell Precision 650 with a new U320 SCSI hard drive installed and partitioned (with FDISK), during the boot up sequence the screen shows that the on-board LSI Logic Bios has installed and that the new HD is recognized. Yet, when I try to reinstall XP-Pro, the machine starts the reinstallation disk but then reports there are no hard drives present. I have tried to run the reinstallation disk both by installing the LSI Logic SCSI driver from a floppy and by just letting the machine boot up itself. The no HD present error comes up either way. ...

Pivot Table Show Pages missing from Excel XP
I used to use the "Show Pages" function on my Pivot tables in Excel before but now I have been upgraded to Excel 2007. Has this option gone away as I can not find out how to do this now. found it, happy guy Select a cell in the pivot table On the Ribbon, click the Options tab In the PivotTable group, click the dropdown arrow for Options Choose Show Report Filter Pages Select a filter, and click OK "Don" wrote: > I used to use the "Show Pages" function on my Pivot tables in Excel before > but now I have been upgraded to Excel 2007. ...

printing import specs
is there anyway to print the Import Specs i have in Access 2000? i'm importing a table using specs (fixed length) and someone needs to see the specs. what is the easiest way to get them to him? TIA Ted MSysIMEXSpecs & MSysIMEXColumns are the tables involved I've unfortunatelly lost the code I used to document them, though (ie DataType translations) Pieter "Ted" <tbest@rca-insurance.com> wrote in message news:e7nYF11DIHA.5788@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > is there anyway to print the Import Specs i have in Access 2000? > > i'm importing a table ...

XL 03 vs XL 97
Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97? I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never bothered to install it. Are the improvements in it actually worth the effort to mess with it? There are several improvements, but not very spectacular ones. The next version of Excel (due late 2006) will be the biggest change since many years. See http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message news:wNednQFttM0wajreRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Is ...

Outlook 97 problems with XP
A short while after I have started Outlook 97 a "Microsoft Windows Messaging Subsystem" message appears, aying "MAPI Spooler has shut down unexpectedly. Close all mail-enabled applications before attempting to log on again". This happens even if no other applications are running. There is a Microsoft note about this problem with ID 162223, dated November 25, 2002. Of the five possible causes mentioned, only the one about "a damaged .pst file" is relevant in my case. Even if I follow the instructions and create a new profile, the problem remains. What bo...

XP Pro. Add/Remove Hardware
Hello. Having a problem with Add Hardware in the Control Panel. Get the following message: "Cannot Run Two Device Installations. You can install only one device at a time. Another device installation is underway, when finished you can try this wizard again." Well, I'm not installing another device and I can't access this to install my scanner(or any other hardware). The computer will not recognize the hardware plugged into my USB port at all. Any help and feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom B. I'd recommend asking this in a newsgroup related to Windows...

printing booket differently
Hello, I have a question. I am trying to print a booklet in Publisher that has say 100 pages (5 1/2 X 8 1/2). I want them to print in this order : Page 1--4,1 Page 2--2,3 Page 3--5,8 Page 4-----6,7 The only way I can get it to print is like this: Page 1--100,1 Page 2------2,3 But this will not work because of the way I'm binding it. I have spent hours (literally) trying to figure this out with little success. Can you please help me? Wouls there be a way to do it in Word? God Bless today! Respectfully yours, Jason Stahl When printing a...

Error 5947
I have a Word 2003 template (*.dot) that contains the following line of code to attach the normal template (for the purpose of removing the link between the source template and the resulting document): ActiveDocument.AttachedTemplate = NormalTemplate When I use this template in Word 2007, this line gives a Run-time Error: 5947 'Could not change document template.' This happens if the template resides on my Windows Desktop or in another nontrusted location. If I place the file in my Templates folder (a trusted location), then this line seems to work without a pro...

Win XP can not shut down Outlook 2003
Windows XP SP3, Outlook 2003 I can shut down Outlook 2003. When I shut down Windows with Outlook running it will not shut until I End Program as requlested by new box appearing. Not related to this, I also have to end program SSMMgr.exe in the same way. If I rename to SSMMgr.abc this notice does not appear but Outlook still has to be End Program. I understand SSMMgr is Samsung printer control software. 1- Don't try to shutdown Windows with applications open. (Applications that run in the background - like your security software - need not be manually shut down.) 2...

print copies
I have received a file and the print copies are set at 2000. I can change it but it does not save the changes. How can I change the default copy option back to 1? ...

Looking for a Stylesheet Builder
I am looking for a program to help build stylesheets for XML files. So far, I found and tried Stylus Studio and StyleVision (Altova). I like the UI and functions in Stylevision but it won't accept any xsd files that don't include namespaces and namespace prefixes on each element - a real problem when your XML is generated from .NET or RSS feeds. Stylus Studio works but I don't like the UI and it does not appear to have many of the functions I'd like (conditional formatting, etc.) I am looking for some other programs that might do the job. Wayne you could try http://www.ac...

SysAdmin Toolset
Hi Folks I am a SysAdmin and to remotely connect to my windows servers I use remote desktop, I was wondering if anyone knows of a free remote connection manager that allows multi-tabs. Meaning connecting to multiple servers. Thanks for any help aluciani <aluciani@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Folks > > I am a SysAdmin and to remotely connect to my windows servers I use > remote desktop, I was wondering if anyone knows of a free remote > connection manager that allows multi-tabs. Meaning connecting to > multiple servers. > > Thanks for any help Thi...

correct date/days in a template
I have found a template in M/S excel download that I would like to use but how do I change the dates. The current template is dated 11/1/2004 -11/14/2004 The template is a biweekly time card which has to be changed every 2 wks and additional days need to be added for when the the starting date starts. This is the link if you care to look at it to help understand what I am trying to explain http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/TC060888761033.aspx?CategoryID=CT063469961033 Thank-you have a safe 4th hi, did you try to change the 11/1/2004 to 11/15/2004? if yes change the day ...

creating form in xl.
hi, anyone know how i can create a form to show up on my excel sheet as a "on screen form" with fill-in blanks. Similar to sheets like "invoice.template or balnce sheet templates". i tried saving as a template but it still shows up on screen like a spreadsheet with cells? any suggestions? thanks!!! PS: basically i want to create a daily log that can be filled out by me as well as my employees. each time they use the tab button it jumps from data line to data line or entry line. mike Mike You need to protect the worksheet. Before you do that first format the cell...