XL 03 vs XL 97

Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97?

I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never
bothered to install it.  Are the improvements in it actually worth the
effort to mess with it?

0
Adam

There are several improvements, but not very spectacular ones.
The next version of Excel (due late 2006) will be the biggest change since
many years.
See

http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97?
>
> I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never
> bothered to install it.  Are the improvements in it actually worth the
> effort to mess with it?

0
nicolaus (2022)
12/20/2005 12:26:28 PM
Unless you are a power user of Excel or a VBA developer, there is
no difference between 2003 and 97.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97?
>
> I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but
> have never bothered to install it.  Are the improvements in it
> actually worth the effort to mess with it?

0
chip1 (1821)
12/20/2005 12:27:13 PM
Chip and Niek are, of course, correct. But we might mention that the
statistical functions (STDEV, LINEST, etc) are more reliable in XL2003
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message
> Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97?
>
> I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never
> bothered to install it.  Are the improvements in it actually worth the
> effort to mess with it?

0
bliengme5824 (3040)

CRM and Outlook Integration 12-26-03
Hello All We've recently installed CRM 1.2 and the first thing that struck me was that scheduling an appointment in CRM did not place the appoitment in my Outlook calendar? Is this what the Outlook CRM Client does or have we setup CRM incorrectly? I would have expected CRM to use the same calendar as Outlook? Hi I think you'll find that appointments, tasks etc are only synchronised if you book the appt through the CRM Outlook client. If you book an appt through the web browser it doesn't get copied to Outlook. Rob Hewes CCS IT Limited >-----Original Message----- &...

XMLWriter/XMLReader vs MSXML 4.0
Hi to all! someone of you know the difference between XMLWriter/XMLReader and MSXML4.0? The first one has the same capacity of the second one? Which is better to use? Which give the clearest messages or the greatest amount of information about the kind and the origin of error (considering that I have to show messages in Italian and the Framework is in English)? And ...is it difficult to include msxml4.dll in my project? Thank you in advance to all. Fede. Fede wrote: > someone of you know the difference between XMLWriter/XMLReader and MSXML4.0? > The first one has the same capacity ...

Date/Time 03-03-08
There was a post that said "Bear in mind that you cannot store a date without a time - a default time of 00:00:00 is assumed." (See Pete, 10/27/06) I am having a lot of trouble because of the "time" that is inexorably embedded in the date. Can someone tell me if the default time of 00:00:00 is the first moment of the day in question or the last moment of the day? For instance if I want to see all entries that are dated after December 31, 2007. In a querry, if I say show me all the entries that are > dateValue(12/31/07), and one of the entries is 12/31/07 1:00, w...

Pub 97 coexisting with other versions
Can I install Pub 97 on a PC that also has on it Pub 2000 and Pub 2002? (I need to develop sample files to be used on Pub 97.) "Decisions can take you out of God's will, but never out of His reach." Sure you can. Just make sure it does not install in the same folder as any of the other versions. If you have any problems just post back. -- On 7/25/03 8:30 AM, in article eHKlxiqUDHA.1484@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl, "Gladys" <grfiles@netzero.net> wrote: > Can I install Pub 97 on a PC that also has on it Pub 2000 and Pub 2002? > > (I need to devel...

Confusion with work vs. actual vs. 100% complete
Say that I estimate a task to take 3.5 hours to complete. The resource assigned that task finishes the task, but it only took him/her 0.5 hours to complete. How can you record this under actual time and still have 100% completion? In other words, if I mark 3.5 hours of work and 0.5 hours of actual work, % complete will reflect 14% complete. If I try to manually set that as 100% complete, it will change the values for work/actual work. How do you handle these cases? In article <6D981344-24EE-455A-AA02-10A349FFBF39@microsoft.com>, J. Belcher <JBelcher@discussions.m...

How to Move Office 03 Doc Scan/or Image to OL 03 Folder
This is about how to get a scanned document or the image into Outlook or Word. The idea in the links is good, but I can't get it into Word without it looking like jibberish some of the time. I wonder if it's a matter of matching the exact font (sometimes I'm not sure which one they used) with the correct Word font. I saw these links. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP010771031033.aspx http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HP030812511033.aspx I'm on an XPP SP2 box using MOS 03 with OL 03. I want to be able to send an Office O3 Tools Document Scan...

Is there any benchmark about CString(MS) vs string(std)?
I'm just wondering who is better? Just for fun :) Does anyone have any idea? I feel that CString is much easier to use.. But I'm trying to live with std::string.. Because it looks very... :) > I'm just wondering who is better? > Just for fun :) > > Does anyone have any idea? > > I feel that CString is much easier to use.. > But I'm trying to live with std::string.. > > Because it looks very... :) > both are the same, (almost), std::string was after the MS team had started work on the std::string CString cannot be used between Dll/Threads a...

Email attachments Books vs Sheets
Is it possible to send email with specific worksheet(s) attached from a multi-sheet workbook or must the workbook be broken into seperate files (one for each worksheet)? Thanks, Jeff K. Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm#more -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Jeff K." <JKovalovsky@edutech.org> wrote in message news:016301c3b06c$5e5ff790$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to send email with specific worksheet(s) > attached from a multi-sheet workbook or must the workbook > be broken into seperate files (on...

copy all and insert into Word as one item. 03 upgrade is differen
Pub 2000 - used to copy multiple items (text - pictures, etc) by select all. Then pasted into Word - and it came though as ONE item. This option was great - because I could use it easily change the size and it all stayed conformed to the original design. Miss it for webpages and PR. Is there any way to set the paste option to do the "old" one item paste? svlm wrote: || Pub 2000 - used to copy multiple items (text - pictures, etc) by || select all. Then pasted into Word - and it came though as ONE item. || This option was great - because I could use it easily change the || siz...

problems after converting from 97 to 2003
i was using a great program someone once built for me in access 97. eversince i upgraded to office 2003 and converted the program to access 2003 and the database also my reports are not working. i need help! is there maybe something i can download that will convert from 97 to 2003 in a better way? Sorry, but "not working" doesn't give us much to go by. Are you getting any error messages? If so, what are they? -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "???" <@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A2FD1B4A...

Outlook 03 Send & Rec.
My problem is the time it takes (if ever) to send & rec. email messages. I've tried "help" with Bellsouth, but unable to resolve. It is almost impossible to send anything. Takes hours & then it's still in the outbox but says it's sending. My incomeing takes days if it ever gets here. Please, some one help me. ...

changing default language in XL
I know this probably sounds completely stupid, but i have a swedish version of XL and want to change it to English, as well as not understanding swedish, i am not 100 percent on computers. can someone please help? Thanks Pete. I don't think you can. I think you have to buy the English version... ************ Hope it helps! Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com Check out the NEWsgroup stats! Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com "peter curran" <petercurran17@eircom.net> wrote in message news:cUiIf.5957$j7.214198@news.indigo.ie... >I know this probably sounds completely ...

try/catch vs TRY/CATCH
Hi, What is in your opinion the preferred way of doing exception handling for MFC objects (such as the CFile)... the try/catch mechanism or the MFC based TRY/CATCH macros? Thanks Adeel Use try/catch. I don't recall what TRY/CATCH does but, basically, that was provided before VC++ had full support fro try/catch. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "Adeel" <dontWantSpam@All> wrote in message news:ORLqQz3fGHA.4568@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > What is in your opinion the preferred way of doing exception handling for ...

XL 03 vs XL 97
Is the newer version of XL that much better than 97? I have a copy of Office '03 Student and Teacher edition, but have never bothered to install it. Are the improvements in it actually worth the effort to mess with it? There are several improvements, but not very spectacular ones. The next version of Excel (due late 2006) will be the biggest change since many years. See http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/default.aspx -- Kind regards, Niek Otten "Adam Kroger @hotmail.com>" <adam_kroger<nospam> wrote in message news:wNednQFttM0wajreRVn-rw@comcast.com... > Is ...

Publisher vs. Word
I have been using Word to make various graphic documents (flyers and such). This might sound dumb, but I played with Publisher and I can't find any benefits to using it over Word. Am I missing something? It looks like all of the drawing tools are exactly the same. --- Update your PC at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.699 / Virus Database: 456 - Release Date: 6/10/2004 In news:Y6tyc.20355$KL2.9943@fe2.texas.rr.com, Carl. <usenetcarlTHISPROBABLYWONTWORK@hotmail.com> posted: > I have been using Word to ...

Attached vs. Embeded Graphics
It seems that embedded graphics cause a lot of bloat for me. Using Outlook to send some images I get a file about 100K with attached images and if I embed the exact same image files I get a file nearly ten times that size. Is that normal? -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math ...

tesuto 03-11-07
tesuto...

creating form in xl.
hi, anyone know how i can create a form to show up on my excel sheet as a "on screen form" with fill-in blanks. Similar to sheets like "invoice.template or balnce sheet templates". i tried saving as a template but it still shows up on screen like a spreadsheet with cells? any suggestions? thanks!!! PS: basically i want to create a daily log that can be filled out by me as well as my employees. each time they use the tab button it jumps from data line to data line or entry line. mike Mike You need to protect the worksheet. Before you do that first format the cell...

XL 2000 templates non-operative w/XL 2003?
One of my users just moved some templates from an old machine to a new one. They were created in Excel 2000 and worked fine. In Excel 2003, he hits File, New, sees the list of templates, but when he tries to open any of them, nothing happens. No error message, just nothing. Is the older template format incompatible with Excel 2003? "Doug Kanter" <ancientangler@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:_dNFe.2398$cg.69@news02.roc.ny... > One of my users just moved some templates from an old machine to a new > one. They were created in Excel 2000 and worked fine. In Exc...

Making XL 2002 Macro Backwarly compatible with Xl 97
Hi, I've been writing some simpe menus/macros in XL2002 but when I try to run them in XL 97 it complains with runtime error 1004. I only want to sort a spreadsheet by a given column and use the in-built form feature for Data entry, Here is a section of code. Private Sub CommandButton3_Click() Worksheets("Data").Range("A1:AZ5000").Sort _ Key1:=Worksheets("Data").Columns("P"), _ Header:=xlGuess Worksheets("MainMenu").Activate Worksheets("Data").ShowDataForm Worksheets("Data").Range("A1:AZ5000&quo...

Macro Please 03-23-10
Is there anyway to write a macro to open several or all web hyperlinks on a single or multiple worksheets and update the web links if the page is no longer valid. If not able to obtain new page address provide details on which links are no longer valid. Thanks! ...

Cell formating for Excel 97
I am trying to devise a way to avoid repeat entries on a spreadsheet used on production floor. Product is assigned number in the form of 2002-12-01. These numbers are not listed in numerical order. Is there a way to keep the final two digits from being repeated when the data is entered randomly? For example: 2002-12-01, then 2002-12-08 might be entered and then several other sequences such as 2002-11-02, 2003- 13-01 then back to 2002-12- the next two digits I want to be able to block out 01 or 08 which have already been used from being used again. Is this possible? Thanks for an...

Full 97
I have inherited a behemoth of an application developed in A97. I have finally completed a successful compile and conversion to A2003. The users' front-end is now being deployed in A2003 Runtime. There is one place where the code is failing. However, it does not fail for every user. All users can successfully run in A97. Most users can successfully run in A2003RT. But there are a handful of users who get the 'ODBC Call Failed' error in A2003RT. It is happening in the code below. I've marked the failing line with **************. -------------------------- Public Sub ...

Extender Lookup 03-26-10
I have created a Form in Extender and I need to create a lookup that links to one of the fields on the extender form that I created. Can this be done? Everything I've seen references a GP field, but not an extender field. Thanks, Jocelyn If you open the Extender Forms Options Window there is a checkbox at the bottom for 'Add to Lookup List'. "Jocelyn" wrote: > I have created a Form in Extender and I need to create a lookup that links to > one of the fields on the extender form that I created. Can this be done? > Everything I've seen...

Access 97 to Access 2000 04-11-05
I created a database in Access 97, saved it to a flash disk, opened it on another computer in Access 2000 after converting, now the file won't open at all; I get the error message "database format unrecognized" . Is there a solution to this problem? Help! -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Hi, Is this the only copy of the database you have? Are you trying to open the database on the Access 97 computer? If you are can you go back to the computer with access 2000 on it, try and convert it to a previous version, Tools, Database Utilities, Convert Database. I...