wrong "default file location" after installing Office-addin

Hi all

I need some help for the following problem
In Excel the "default file location" is set to an unc path
Saving and Opening of files works fine until I install my own Office-addin which is automatically started when Excel is started. If I then try to open a file the folder containing the addin is offered instead of the unc path. However the "default file location" points still to the unc path

If the "default file location" in Excel contains a drive letter, all works fine
The same Office-addin can also be used in Word and Powerpoint. This also works fine (even if the "default file location" is set to an unc path)

This effect can be seen in Excel 2000, 2002 and 2003

Can anybody help me with this problem

TI

Heinrich Bern

0
anonymous (74722)

You might need a "bootstrap". I have had to replace the Excel Send Mai
with a custom macro because it resets the path. Something like :-

'-----------------------------------------------------
MyLoc = Application.DefaultFilePath
'-- your code here
Application.DefaultFilePath = MyLoc
'-----------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the hint you gave me
I used already some code to change the default file path. However the VB "ChDir" function doesn't support unc paths
After replacing that function by the kernel32-routine "SetCurrentDirectory" all works fine

Heinrich Bernd
0
anonymous (74722)

default file locations were changed
I came in this morning to find the default file locations were changed in Excel, Word and Outlook. They were pointing to our server. They got changed to "My Documents" on my desktop. I'm running Outlook 2003 on an Excange server and Excel and Word 2000 on my desktop. Does anyone know how this can happen? ...

2007 Pro Default File Location
What happened to the option to set the default file location in Publisher? Thanks, Bill It is not supported in Office 2007 "Bill Stanton" <billstanton@digitalpath.net> wrote in message news:J8mdnTMwdeJt5pbTnZ2dnUVZ_oKdnZ2d@earthlink.com... > What happened to the option to set the > default file location in Publisher? > > Thanks, > Bill ...

Default file locations in Outlook 2000
Is it possible to change the default file locations in Outlook, like you can in word and excell. i.e. If you right click on an attachment and select save as, Can you change where it looks at? Outlook always will go to where the "My Documents" folder is. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Stew" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06d701c3c60b$535c3e80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to change the default file locations in > Outlook, like you can in word a...

When choosing default file location get error "the folder is not valid"
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to specify a networked drive as the default file location for my Word documents. I can open files from the drive within Word, and I'm connected to the server/network drive. But when I try to specify it as the default location I receive this error. That's amazing: Your post has already been copied to six websites that are stealing our content :-) I do not know the answer for sure, but I "think" there is a hard-coded check in there that specifies that a network drive cannot be us...

Publisher 2007 Default File Location
Would like to change the default file location for MSPub documents to my existing folder PubDocs. In Publisher 2007, there is no way I can find to change the default file location to my folder PubDocs either under Tools:Options or Tools:Customize. Would like Publisher 2007 to default to PubDocs for both opening existing files and saving new ones. Anyone have a fix for this? Thanks! The closest solution: Save as, browse to the folder, right-click the "Save in" task pane, add the folder you browsed to. Next time it will be readily available. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http:/...

Default file locations
When we try to save a file in Excel 2002, shouldn't the file location come up as set in Tools, Options, General, default file location? We're finding when you "save as" from an email attachment for example, Excel will default to My Documents or somewhere else even though I have it set to a different location. Thank you, please advise, john I think this behavior changed with xl2k. Excel knows where an existing workbook was opened from. If you do a file|saveAs, it figures that you probably want to save it in that same location. For attachments, xl is usually incorre...

How do I change the default file location for "attachments" when I go to insert a file. It goes to my documents. Check out http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Tom" <thomas.leonard@mckesson.com> wrote in message news:02ae01c34a2f$7ad0d2d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How do I change the default file location > for "attachments" when I go to insert a file. It goes to > my d...

wrong "default file location" after installing Office-addin
Hi all I need some help for the following problem In Excel the "default file location" is set to an unc path Saving and Opening of files works fine until I install my own Office-addin which is automatically started when Excel is started. If I then try to open a file the folder containing the addin is offered instead of the unc path. However the "default file location" points still to the unc path If the "default file location" in Excel contains a drive letter, all works fine The same Office-addin can also be used in Word and Powerpoint. This also works fine (eve...

Locked out of default file location
When setting up office XP on a new computer in our office, I accidently put in a file location that was incorrect. Used W:****** instead of W:\***** now I am locked out with an can not find W:**** and will not let me change the setting, even uninstalled and reinstalled and it is still doing this. Any thoughts? Paul -- Paul Donaldson ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Donaldson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2646 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=374053 Hello Paul...

can't change default file location #2
When I click "open file", Excel always open "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF". I have changed the "Tools-Options-General-Default file location" to "My Documents" but still no effect. Please help. Did you exit Excel before trying again? >-----Original Message----- >When I click "open file", Excel always open "C:\Program >Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\PROOF". I have >changed the "Tools-Options-General-Default file location" >to "My Documents" but still no effect. ...

default file locations #2
Application: Excel Version: 97 We have a shared file out on our server that sales accesses daily. On one computer when saving, it wants to save to his "my documents" folder on his local computer and not to the original location on the network. This just started happening on his computer. If I go to another computer and open and save it, it saves it to the correct network location. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Just a guess, but are you sure that the user is hitting File|Save and not File|SaveAs. In xl97, file|saveAs will want to save to the default folder--not the folder ...

I have set the File Locations in Publisher to a mapped drive on a server (U:\). This is incorporated into a profile on a W3K server. When the users log on the default drive mapping reverts back to My Documents. Why does this happen ? All other Office programs (Word,Excel etc) default ok but not Publisher. If I log on as the origanal user, the mapping is ok. ...

default file location
I want separate default file locations for the "Save As" and the Reuse Slides - Browse File button. I changed the path in PowerPoint Options/Save/Default File location, but it changed it for both. Is there any way to have separate defaults for each? Thank you. As far as I can tell the reuse slides seems to go to the last location used? -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Jerry Eco" wrote: > I want separate default file locations for the...

Default File Location for Code
When I export code, they currently default to Program Files>Microsoft Office>Office10. Is there a way to specify a new default directory for my code? ...

Default file location
Hello, I want to setup de default file location, where files will be stored. The problem is, I want to setup this folder to %Homedrive%, because some colleagues use the "F-networkdrive", others use the "O-" and again other colleagues use the "I-networkdrive". So if people log in on this computer, the 'homedrive' is defined. This 'homedrive' I want to setup as the Def. file location. Is there an option to place something in the registry or a macro, so that for each user on the network, the default file location will be sett to his/her "...

Where do I change the setting so that when I go to File - Open, this open a specific folder. I know how to change the dafault Save location, but this doesn't seem to be the same for the default File - Open location. Using either Excel 2000 or 2002 Thanks. The "at startup, open all files in" doesnt seem to work. >-----Original Message----- >In Excel, click Tools, Options, General tab and down near >the bottom of the screen is the Default File location. > > >>-----Original Message----- >>Where do I change the setting so that when I go to File ...

default file location for .spt file
How do I change that to the d: drive? The file is actually .pst not .spt. You can either move your Outlook.pst file to wherever you want it and then when you start Outlook, it will tell you it can not locate Outlook.pst and as you to create a new one. Hit cancel and then choose File...Open...Outlook Data File. Then just browse to the location you moved the file to. "RichBiegun" <Rich@Biegun.US> wrote in message news:035301c3b62c$3f35c2d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > How do I change that to the d: drive? Close Outlook, then move the .PST file where you want it. When you reo...

How do I set the default file location in Publisher 2007?
I need to set the default file location (ex: c:\Business), and cannot seem to find where to do this. I've gone to Properties, Options, Custom - all to no avail. I have Publisher 2007. I've had previous versions of Publisher and never had this problem. You will have to create a folder, put it in "My Places." When you "save as", the Look In menu has a pull down menu on the right corner. Drag your new folder to the My Places. Saving your Publisher document will take one more click. If you have Vista drag the folder to Favorite Links. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP ...

Default file locations #2
How do you change the default location when you create a new message then insert a file? I am always directed to my documents. thanks John See the following. http://www.slipstick.com/config/attachfolder.htm >-----Original Message----- >How do you change the default location when you create a >new message then insert a file? I am always directed to >my documents. > >thanks > >John >. > ...

Change default file location?
I have been looking , unsuccessfully, to figure out how to change the location of my outlook .pst files from the default C:\ Docs & Set, etc. location to my D: drive. This is the only Office XP component that I have not been able to get moved to a more "common" area. Could someone please tell me how to get this accomplished? I am running Office XP on Windows XP Pro, SP2 Thanks for the help. You can use the ForcePSTPath registry value to force the creation of new PST files to an alternate location. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883401 If memory serves me right, this v...

Change default file location
WHere and how do you change the default location for the Outlook PST file. I appreciate you help. Johnny Moore Moore-WDS Close Outlook. Move your PST file. Re-open Outlook and tell Outlook where you moved it when it asks. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "moore-wds" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0b6301c3b447$80ae9a70$a001280a@phx.gbl... > WHere and how do you change the default location for the > Outlook PST file. I appreciate you help. > > Johnny Moore > Moore-WDS >WHere and how do you change the default location for the &g...

Trouble With Default File Location
Excel 2K3 sp2, WinXP Pro sp2. Tools | Options | General | Default File Location or Tools | Options | Save | AutoRecover Save Location It seems I made a typing error when I entered the path in one (or both) of these text boxes (why haven't they ever added a Browse dialog to these?) The resulting behavior is that when I navigate to Tools | Options and try to select the Save or General tab to fix it, I get an error message: "Unable to locate directory". The error message only has an OK button, and the General (or Save) tab never displays, which effectively locks me out of ...

default file location #3
I have a user with Excel 2000. She changes her default file location using Tools, Options, etc. to her L drive by typing L:\. That works fine for awhile. Eventually though it will revert back to her C drive. When she looks in the Tools, Options dialog box, it actually says C:\. She is a laptop user and is wondering if this may be happening when she is using her laptop at home without access to the L drive. However, the other Office applications are able to keep the L drive as the network drive permanantly. Anyone have any insight on this? -- maryj Maybe she's opening excel when sh...

Default File Location #2
I have to change my default file location within Excel each morning after rebooting my network connected PC. Anybody know why this is? It's something I've never had to do. We're using Office 97 on a W2K OS. Thanks. Two guesses come to mind. 1. You want your default folder to be on a network share and that share isn't available. 2. You don't have sufficient permissions to update the registry--so every change you make is temporary--it's never kept. From a previous post: This is one of those settings that's kept in the windows registry. For me (win98/xl20...

Can't change default file location
After several repeated attempts I have been unable to change the default file location on the General tab of the Options dialog. I am also unable to get the AutoRecover location to change. I enter a new valid path in each and when I close the Options dialog and re-open, the old path is back. I am using Office 2002 on Windows XP professional. Works fine for me, when you "close the Options dialog box" are you clicking "OK"? If you're closing without doing that then the entries will be ignored. -- Regards; Rob Please reply to the NG, I'm already up to my ...