Writing Localized Strings In Cells Using Automation

Hola People,

I have written a VB6 application that populates cells in an excel
document with text. The user of the VB6 application selects which
language the text should be in. I have created a satellite DLL for each
language.

Initially, when I would run the VB6 application, the text was always in
english, regardless of the language selected.

Then I started using the Win32 function "WideCharToMultiByte" to use a
different codepage. Now the text is always written in traditional
chinese, regardless of which language / Codepage the user selects.

I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions that would allow the
VB6 application to convert to the required language.

The languages I am using are:
- Traditional Chinese
- Simplified Chinese
- US English (for US, AU and NZ)

I may have to support Thai at some point also.

The satellite DLLs have a resource file with a string table.
Unfortunately, the VB6 editor does not allow the entry of the chinese
characters. This means that I can not do what I would normally do and
paste the actual non-english string to be displayed into the string
table.
I have considered using a custom resource, but I think I would need one
custom resource for each non-english string I need.

I would also like to know if anyone has any suggestions for storing
chinese (and potentially thai) in a VB6 resource file so that the VB6
application can get the strings and write them to excel cells.

Or am I making it too hard? is there a way to tell excel to display
text in cells using another language/codepage/lcid?

Thanx

VirGin
virgin_dork AT yahoo DOT com, if you have any suggestions and feel like
sending them directly to me.

Is there a way for Windows Service to Read/Write HKCU Reg key ?
Hi: I'm writing a Windows Service program which needs to read/write the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key for the current logged on user. I know that for a Windows service does not have concept of HKCU since it is always running in SYSTEM's context. But is there a way (trick?) for a service to access the HKCU registry key? Thanks In Advance ! Polaris Hello Try, from a user application (the one that is logged on, or the current user), to send the services the user's SID. Then access the HKCU through HKEY_USERS\users_sid\............ Hope that helps, Elias "Polaris&qu...

set cell margins
Does anyone know how to set cell margins in Excel? I'm preparing a long list of items for a committee review, and I think it would be more user/reader friendly with some white space. The columns are mixed numbers, dates, and text, but the largest cells are text. June Format>Cells>Alignment. Look at the various options in "Horizontal" and "Vertical" Top, bottom, centered, justified, right indent, left indent and a gang of others. Also row heights and column widths can be manipulated. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:35:28 -0800, "Junebug...

cell to show 0 instead of #NA
Hi there excellers I am using this formula and I need it to show a 0 when there is nothing in colunm 2, "instead of the #NA" any help appreciated =VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2) regards Ditchy ditchy =if(iserror(VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2), 0, VLOOKUP(B1,Sheet1!$A$1:$B$500,2)) Just watch the word wrap. I am not sure if it will show properly. But just piece it together if required. Regards, Kevin "ditchy" <ditchy@ncable.net.au> wrote in message news:dda1ad29.0310301940.7d33ac60@posting.google.com... > Hi there excellers > I am using this formula ...

using excel form to be filled in with data from sucessive worksheets
I have collected data on four seperate worksheets (in one workbook) and would like to use this data to generate a confirmation statement which I have set up as a form on another worksheet in the workbook. How can I fill the data into the form from the other worksheets? ...

Write
I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested to use the Write mode to do this. What is Write, and how do I access it? Are you using voice recognition? Margins are simply changed in the Arrange Menu in Publisher. Are you in the right newsgroup? -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CBC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:183bb01c44a40$107bd5d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to change the default margins. I am requested > to use the Write mode to do this. W...

Line Chart treats blank cells as zero
Hi! I want to make a line chart from some columns. I have formulas in the cells that either puts a value in them or just puts "" (blank) in them. Instead of treating the blanks as zero I just want the chart to stop drawing the line. How is that possible? Regards /Anders "Anders Wahlin" <anders.wahlin@hp.com> wrote in news:4027969f@usenet01.boi.hp.com: > Hi! > > I want to make a line chart from some columns. I have formulas in the > cells that either puts a value in them or just puts "" (blank) in > them. Instead of treating the blanks ...

Strange Problem with Chart and Plot Visible Cells Option
I'm deslecting the "Plot visible cells only" option on some charts in order to display a chart while hiding the data. It works well except for one case. On one chart when I deselect this option, Excel adds some additional series' to my chart and also changes the range of my X axis labels. Does anyone have a clue about this? I'm totally stumped. Note that on all my charts I've using the Offset and CountA functions to create dynamic charts that automatically update the chart when new data is added. Thanks very much. Marcus Marcus - If your series are in columns...

How do I add a domain user account to a local group
I want to add a domain account to a local group during my setup process. At this point the computer has joined the domain but is not logged into it. I've tried using the DirectoryEntry object without success. Dim sUserDN As String = "CN=Me,OU=MyOU,DC=MyDom,DC=com" Dim deUser As New System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry("LDAP://MyDom.Com/" & sUserDN, "Admin", "password", DirectoryServices.AuthenticationTypes.Secure) Dim deLocal As New DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry("WinNT://" + Environment.MachineName + ",c...

Excel 2007 ribbon issue when in cell edit mode
I have the most basic tab created for the Excel 2007 ribbon, xml at end along with VBA After Excel starts, if I click my tab, my button is enabled and it works. After that, regardless of the state my current cell is in if I go back to my tab, my button is still enabled. However, if when I start Excel I immediately enter something into cell A1, then while still in edit mode I click my tab on the ribbon, I get a beep, and my button is not enabled. Furthermore, it will never become enabled short of disabling my add-in and reloading, or restarted Excel. Interestingly enough, i...

Keyboard Macro Just Copies Content of Previous Cell
I created a simple keyboard macro to edit the contents of a cell by simply inserting a "b" in a particular position. For example, I have a series of alphanumeric numbers that start with S1253, e.g., S12536675. I wanted to insert a "b" after the first five digits on the left to revise the series of alphanumeric numbers to start with S1253b, e.g..S1253b6675. However, after creating the keyboard macro, when I run the macro on the next cell to be edited (i.e., S12536676), the macro simply copies the contents of the original cell that I edited when I first created the ...

write protect/write redirect/kios mode
Hey, I LOVE snapshots in virtualmachines and think it would be awesome to have something like this for my main windows install. Anyone know of any hardware/software to redirect writes to another drive/file/memory/hardware? Or hardware to write protect a drive for kios's (i found some once befor the reverted all changes on shutdown, but cant find it anymore ><) I know VSS(virtual shadow copy service) has a function to redirect on write and wondering if i might be able to use that :/ It will just make everything cleaner, and give alot of flexiblity to setting up ...

OFFICE 2000
Hi, I got Office 2000 installed on my PC, please tell me if there is any add-ins or upgrading to make it cabaple to protect a sheet but specify some certian sells to be unprotected, so users can change only these cells and check how the calculations goes. many thanks, AG Hi At start you have to lock/unlock the cells on Format.Cells.Protection tab (from menu Format, then Cells... etc.), after that protect the sheet. For cells set to 'locked' editing will be restricted, for cells set to 'unlocked' it will be allowed. -- Arvi Laanemets (When sending e-mail, use address ...

Cannot write to memory location
I can not (all of the sudden) run Publisher in the last week. When starting to run it, I get that it cannot write to a certain memory locaiton, so it is shutting down. I need to get this program working. I have read through this forum and tried the different fixes as well as the knowledge base (emptied the temp file, disabled anti-virus, etc.) but it still won't work. An example is: "The instruction at "0x77f585c0" referenced memory at "0x00000000". the memory could not be "written". Click on OK to terminate the program." The header read...

VB Code to copy linked table to local
I have an Access 2007 database with a linked ODBC table that changes on a daily basis. I want to automate a function where the linked table is copied and pasted as a local table. I tried the following command: DoCmd.CopyObject , stNewName, acTable, stTblName It worked, and named the new table correctly (based on an earlier command that assigns the table name with the current date as "stNewName"), but it stayed as a linked table - which means tomorrow, today's data will be lost. Is there a parameter of the CopyObject command that will make the new table local,...

Writing formula for excel worksheet
Item Rate1 Rate2 Rate3 A 3 4 6 B 8 5 23 C 56 5 78 Above is my excel sheet. I want to write some formula so that in every row cell having minimum rate should come bold. Like For Item A - Rate1(3) for Item B - Rate2(5) For Item C - Rate2 (5) There may be a neater way but this works. Somewhere in you sheet in a cell type =min(A1:a4), I used L1 Change this to watever range you are trying to evaluate. Then select this range and click format - conditional format - cell value - is equal to =($L$1) and apply your bold font. The lowest value in the range will then become bold. Mike "Gaur...

Using drop down lists
I'm trying to create a report utilizing a drop down list in Excel. I have successfully created the drop down list, (I'm using every Monday in January as my different items on my list) but now I want to enter different data using the same rows and columns for each specific date. This is just a worksheet that will be used on a weekly basis, I will only need to keep current week data, but I want to save the previous weeks' information just for reference. If anyone can guide me to what this is categorized under on the help page, I think I could figure it out. I'm...

Freezing Cells #2
Here's the problem, I like the idea about being able to freeze the the panes of a worksheet. However I would like to freeze certain cells, for example I want to just freeze I1 through I10. The freeze panes option grabs A1 through I10 which is not what I want. Any ideas on how I could get around this? Scott Scott, You can't freeze only part of a row or column. Freeze works only on entire rows and/or columns. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Illusvfyre" <sboisvert@cox.net> wrote in message news:C...

Localize Greatplains 8
Dear Sir We have a projact to Localize Greatlains 8 to arabic version any comment - Help . Microsoft Partners specially in Cario has done this job. no need to work a load. Just contact MS Partners to get localize Great Plians. "gulfportal" wrote: > Dear Sir > > We have a projact to Localize Greatlains 8 to arabic version any > comment - Help . > > ...

how do i write checkbox to.....
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050607000103070200020407 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit how do i write checkbox1 boolean to xml in vb6 i can only do cstr( checkbox1.value) but in vb.net can't write to xml. i am doing irc chat similar to mirc or pirch chat. rw.WriteConfigInfo("User Modes", chkInvisible.Text, chkInvisible.Checked, "PirateChat.xml") in procedure events: ' Both the Key and the Value are filled ' Find the key ...

Write access to a LDAP server.
Is there any way to enable write access in Outlook to my LDAP server? The LDAP server allows this functionality, Outlook doesn't. Any plugins that can do this? Thanks. Derek ...

Date Cell In Chart Title?
How do I keep a date cell value in the dd/mm/yyyy format vs. it converting back to a serial number? The Chart Title refers to a cell with the date in the correct format but when I concatenate it into the title it reverts back to a serial number. Thank you ...

Writing a macro in Outlook 2007
Hello - I have been trying to create code in Outlook 2007 that will send an item to a specific printer. I realize there is no macro recorder in Outlook, and I am not a programmer, so I've been trying to manipulate code found on a Microsoft support page, without success. Does anyone know the code required to send an item to a specific printer, other than the default? Here is a sample of what I've found - it includes resetting the default printer: Sub MAIN 'Retrieve and set information about the current default printer Dim FPS As FilePrintSetup GetCurValues FPS ...

Cell Selection after "Enter"
In the Excel applications we build for others it is useful to have the cell selection remain on the cell after the data in it is modified. This is done by unchecking "Move Selection after Enter" on the "Edit" tab of the "Options" dialogue. However, when protecting the worksheet to allow selection of unlocked cells only, the cell selection then ignores the Edit tab setting and moves in the default direction after Enter. If worksheet protection is modified to also allow selection of locked cells, then the cell selection will obey the Edit setting and not ...

Using custom functions within custom validation
When creating a custom validation rule using DATA-VALIDATION-CUSTOM menu, is it possible to use a custom function that I have written? E.g. =customfunc(A1)=true Whenever I try this I get the error "A named range you specified cannot be found". Presumably it is referring to the custom function name? Surely it is possible? Thanks for any help with this. Neil You need to refer to it indirectly, you can put it away somewhere not normally visible like in IV1 then refer to IV1 or create a defined name and refer to that name -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Neil" <nei...

how to insert page numbering in an excel cell
I'm trying to have a repeating cell automatically update the page number and number of pages, much the same as in a header/footer situation, but I need it to be done in 1 cell. Any suggestions? ...