Worksheet name in cell formula

I asked this question a while ago and got a prompt answer which I thought
was what I wanted but alas its not...

I want to be able to change my worksheet names.....ie: from Sheet 1, Sheet
2, etc etc.....to something more meaningful.....eg Sales, Expenses....etc
etc.... and have these changes reflect on the worksheet.

For example, I might want Sheet 1 Cell A1 to say.....This is the Sales
worksheet (assuming I have renamed it to Sales).

The answer I was given some time back worked.....but it changed the formula
on every worksheet to reflect the name of the last changed sheet.

By this I mean....if I changed Sheet 1 to Sales.... my formula on every
worksheet changed the cell refernce to "Sales", even though it was on
another sheet

Below is the formula I was given a few weeks ago by Ron Rosenfeld.

="This is "&MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)&"'s
worksheet"

TIA Phillip

0
ptopping (17)

Phillip,

Use

="This is
"&MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255)&"
worksheet"

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Phillip Topping" <ptopping@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
> I asked this question a while ago and got a prompt answer which
I thought
> was what I wanted but alas its not...
>
> I want to be able to change my worksheet names.....ie: from
Sheet 1, Sheet
> 2, etc etc.....to something more meaningful.....eg Sales,
Expenses....etc
> etc.... and have these changes reflect on the worksheet.
>
> For example, I might want Sheet 1 Cell A1 to say.....This is the
Sales
> worksheet (assuming I have renamed it to Sales).
>
> The answer I was given some time back worked.....but it changed
the formula
> on every worksheet to reflect the name of the last changed
sheet.

> By this I mean....if I changed Sheet 1 to Sales.... my formula
on every
> worksheet changed the cell refernce to "Sales", even though it
was on
> another sheet
>
> Below is the formula I was given a few weeks ago by Ron
Rosenfeld.

> ="This is
"&MID(CELL("filename"),FIND("]",CELL("filename"))+1,255)&"'s
> worksheet"
>

> TIA Phillip

0
chip1 (1821)

export query with formulas to excel
Is there a way to export my Access query to Excel 2003 while keeping the formulas in Excel. For example, in my Access query I have a field called "Other" which is defined as the following: Other: [DiffTotal]-[BudTo] [DiffTotal] and [BudTo] are "real" fields in the query and become columns in Excel. Instead of having the value of "Other" appear in Excel, I'd like the "Other" column to have the formula where, for example in row 1, it could look like "=A3-A2." Thanks, ~Mark When Access exports to Excel, it exports the...

How do i create a macro that saves the filename that is equal to a cell in the sheet?
How do i create a macro that saves the filename that is equal to a cell in the sheet? -- Chukka ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Chukka's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29365 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=491092 with activeworkbook .saveas filename:="C:\myfolder\" & .worksheets("sheet99").range("z99").value _ & ".xls", fileformat:=xlworkbooknormal end with No checking at all! Chukka wrote: > > How ...

print a worksheet out from another worksheet
Hi all, I have a validation list that shows all the worksheets in the workbook, I want to beable to select the a worksheet from the list and print it out without having to go to the sheet. Can this be done if so how? Cheers --------- Message sent via www.excelforums.com Hi With the list in A1 on Sheet1 for example you can use this macro Sub printtest() Dim str As String str = Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1") Sheets(str).PrintOut End Sub -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "rutima - ExcelForums.com" <a.caton@ntlworld-dot-com.no-spam.invalid&g...

drop or paste to a cell problem
Hi, When i copy (or drag) a cell and then paste (or drop) it ,the target cell gets the value only. This happenes even when I specify to paste the formula only... Where did i go wrong ? Thank you, Victor If I copy a range of cells from a filtered list (some hidden rows intermingled), then the formulas convert to values when I paste (or ctrl-drag and drop). Is your range filtered? Eli Fadida wrote: > > Hi, > > When i copy (or drag) a cell and then paste (or drop) it ,the target cell > gets the value only. > This happenes even when I specify to paste the formula only....

Excel data in one cell, need to copy specific values to another worksheet in different cells
I am attempting to copy financial data from one worksheet to another. Unfortunately, the worksheet that I am copying from is formatted as one column of data in column A. The data appears as follows in column A: DISTRICT: Adams County/Ohio Valley Local COUNTY: Adams IRN: 061903 ADM, VALUATION & MILLAGE (1983-1984) SOURCE: SF12 Line 3 Basic ADM 4,916 Assessed value 480,468,317 Total ADM 5,769 Valuation/Basic ADM 97,736 Voted millage (Incl JVS) 20.80 Class1 eff tax rate 20.14 BASIC STATE AID (1983-...

filtration of worksheets tallying 2 million seperate phone numbers #2
Hi, I am a loan officer at a mortgage brokerage. We have recently put the new nationwide no-call list on an excel spreadsheet. I have 2 questions for you. First: is there a way to make excel have more rows than 65,536 (preferably like 2 million) as the colorado part of the national no-call list is about 2 million. And second;can you tell me how to filter one workshet against a second with 30 columns and 65,536 rows(the filter feature I use only takes into consideration the left-most column) ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com...

how can i get calendar wizard in excel worksheet
i want to now how i can a calendar design in excel worksheet without doing it my self Hi see: http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/files/calarray.exe -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "samuel" <samuel@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:BDB21156-C0C1-4E27-8C39-17CB38F26064@microsoft.com... > i want to now how i can a calendar design in excel worksheet without doing > it my self ...

Sorting multiple worksheets simultaneously
Hi!! Is there any way to sort multiple worksheets in a workbook simultaneously (ie instead of sorting each sheet individually)? I have a file with 30+ sheets, each sheet set up identically (ie the same data type in the same column on each sheet), but (obviously) containing different data. There's a complication as well - each sheet has 50 rows, comprising links to other files. Not all of the rows actually contain relevant data (ie in some rows the result of the link is 'zero'), but the rows that contain data come before any rows that do not. For example, on sheet 1 (even th...

Merging worksheets #2
I would like to merge the data on two worksheets, can I and how do I do that? -- Ajtorrence Have it all on one sheet? or add it together on a 3rd sheet? Please provide more info. :) ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "Ann" <Ann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81C2F7CF-ED32-4A6C-BE36-1512B18FDA5D@microsoft.com... >I would like to merge the data on two worksheets, can I and how do I do >that? > -- > Ajtorrence ...

Copying Formulea from one cell to another
I want to drag and paste a formulea across a row. But the formulea takes information from another cell, then will miss two columns out, and themn takes information from the next, and so on. I can't seem to find a way of copying the pattern, and I am wasting a lot of time editing each formulea manually. i.e 1st cell should read '=SUM(L15:L10)' 2nd cell next to it should read '=SUM(O15:O10)', the next '=SUM(R15:R10)', and so on. I would like to know a way of doing this automatically. I am using Excel 2003 Standard Edition And would be grate...

Copy a Worksheet problem
Hi. I am trying to copy a worksheet by using CTRL and drag. When I click on the tab I am getting a 'stop' symbol (circle with a diagonal line through it). I have used this procedure many times before. What has changed? What can I do? Thanks, Dave Moore Perhaps you have protected the workbook under Tools>Protection Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 08:31:20 -0700 (PDT), david.moore@uuplc.co.uk wrote: >Hi. >I am trying to copy a worksheet by using CTRL and drag. >When I click on the tab I am getting a 'stop' symbol (circle with a >diagonal line t...

SELECT FROM Query name
I am using a SELECT statement as a rowsource on a form listbox. I have a query named 01-Accounts Query and the SELECT stmt reads as follows... SELECT 01-Accounts_Query.Name, 01-Accounts_Query.Date FROM 01-Accounts_Query I get a syntax error in query message. How do I fix this? gator wrote: >I am using a SELECT statement as a rowsource on a form listbox. I have a >query named 01-Accounts Query and the SELECT stmt reads as follows... > >SELECT 01-Accounts_Query.Name, 01-Accounts_Query.Date FROM 01-Accounts_Query > >I get a syntax error in query message...

Formula result disappeared
Everytime I visit a cell with a formula in a certain column of my worksheet and press enter, that cell will only show the formula instead of the result. Any idea on how to show the result back again for those cells? Nancy The cell is presumably formatted as text. Format as General (or Number) and re-enter the formula. -- David Biddulph "nv77078" <nv77078@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C07E90A-7AFE-4288-9673-31E602C3AF5B@microsoft.com... > Everytime I visit a cell with a formula in a certain column of my > worksheet > and press en...

Insert a hyperlink as the text in the cell?
If I have cells A1-A5 as these IP addresses: http://12.23.34.11 http://12.23.34.12 http://12.23.34.13 http://12.23.34.14 http://12.23.34.15 and they are not hyperlinks yet, is there a way to get Excel to insert a hyperlink where the hyperlink will automatically point to the contents of the cell itself ie. the hyperlink in cell A1 should "http://12.23.34.11" and so on? I know you can do this manually, but the automatic option would save a LOT of time. Thanks, Alain In B1 enter: =HYPERLINK(A1,A1) and copy down -- Gary''s Student - gsnu201001 ...

Worksheet in a worksheet?
Is there any way to insert a worksheet in an Excel worksheet, like you can insert a Word document in an Excel worksheet? Regards Philip Have you tried Insert>Object>Create from File - enter the filename and check the Display as icon checkbox "Philip Reece-Heal" wrote: > Is there any way to insert a worksheet in an Excel worksheet, like you can > insert a Word document in an Excel worksheet? > > Regards > Philip > > > I don't think so. You can insert a workbook into a worksheet, though. Just like a .doc file (insert|object). Philip ...

Conditional Formatting on Multiple Worksheets
I want to apply conditional formatting to the same cell on 12 worksheets within one workbook in Excel 2007. As soon as I select multiple worksheets, the conditional formatting option is greyed out. The workbook is not shared or protected and I used to be able to do this in Excel 2003. Please help! Hi, That is how it seems to work in 2007, this could be intentional or it could be a bug, I will file it as a bug report. Your solution: Format the first cell or range on one sheet. Click the Format Painter Click the tab for the first sheet you want formatted the same way, either Shift c...

Worksheet within a Worksheet
Does anyone know if there is a way to have a worksheet within a worksheet? I need to reference an extensive list of account numbers within a worksheet and I don't want the account numbers running all the way down the sheet. What do you mean by "reference"? What exactly are you trying to do? -- Regards, RD -------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ------------------------------------------------------------------- <michaelburkett@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1120850412.61...

how to merge data from numerous worksheets into one sheet.
Hi,I'm trying to merge data from numerous worksheets, with varying numbers of rows, but the same column headings, into the one worksheet. i've been cutting and pasting to get the desired results but it takes at least 15 minutes per workbook. Does anyone know if this is feasible? (Skill level?, I would say I'm no more than a casual user) Thanks in advance. What specifically is meant by 'merge data' To do complete rows, filter the book to be copied and Select, Copy and Paste as one selection, To do matching cell data, use VLookup for the columns required. Any further...

Protected Worksheet Tab Order
I have a protected worksheet in Excel. After I protected the sheet I selected a range of cells that users could edit. When the sheet is protected the tab order for the range of cells that the user could edit will not work, I can nagivate using the arrows but not by tabbing. Does anyone know how to set the tab order on a protected worksheet? You must select the range of editable cells BEFORE you protect the sheet. Format these cells to "unlocked" then protect the sheet. Tab order will be left to right then down, left to right. If you have some other Tab order you wi...

VBA needed to select a random name
I'm trying to set up a button that selects a randomly select a name from a list of 10 names. I guess I need some VBA to do this. Would anyone know what it is? I got as far as making select a random number into a cell then putting an IF formula into another cell but it doesn't work. I thought there must be an easier way. JJ66, You could use =CHOOSE(RANDBETWEEN(1:10),"Name1","Name2",...,"Name10") -- Regards, Auk Ales * Please reply to this newsgroup only * * I will not react on unsolicited e-mails * "jj66" <jj66@ntlworld.com> wrote...

Employee Name Change
We had an employee get married who is also a user in CRM. When we changed her name in Active Directory, it did not change in CRM. Now when the user tries to run a report, the reports do not run. She gets error message "The property ‘nullable’ of report parameter ‘CRM_Locale’ is set to false. However, the corresponding parameter (default) value is null or contains an empty string. (rsProcessingError)" So we disabled her account in CRM and tried to add in the newly renamed account but CRM would not let us stating that the user was already in the system. Please advise. ...

Moving sum from one cell to another cell
Hello, Brand new to this forum and fairly new to Excel. I have created a for for keeping up with loan activity our farm makes to it's employees. Attached find a copy of the form. What I am wondering is whether it i possible to take the "loan balance" (which is the red cell on th right) and transfer that value to the "previous balance" cell (th other red cell to the left and staggered down one row) and have thi operation repeatable each time a loan entry is made. I only want th loan balance number duplicated only once for each seperate entry in th previous balance c...

Two exchange servers with one domain name
Hi expert My boss requests me to set up two exchange servers with one domain name. For example, Server 1 has a email a/c john@abc.com and server 2 has may@abc.com. Is it possible? and How to do this? If a sender wants to send a mail to may@abc.com, How does the sender's mail server know server 2 is the correct one? Thanks Anyway. - If they're both part of the same Exchange Organization = same AD Forest, this info resides in Active Directory which is what Exchange servers lookup. - Sender's mail server simply checks DNS for MX records which point to the authoritative mai...

pivot table: problem with multiple groupings in different worksheets
Hello. I'm having a bit of trouble the group function in a pivot table. Let's say we've got a table with columns "district" and sales (just an example), and I create two different pivot tables with the same origin. In one of the pivot tables I want to group regions in some way, and define different sets in the second pivot table. Here comes the issue: when I right click the selection...-> group, excel defines a new property on the origin data, a new field called "district2". That field also appears on the second pivot table. If I try to group differently the ...

saving individual worksheet
When I save in Excel, how do I save individual worksheets separately? Even when I save Worksheet 3, when I open it, it shows up as Worksheet 1. Any clues what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for any help. I'm a newbie (shocker!). bob Bob, This is not typical, so how are you saving the individual worksheet? What steps do you take? -- HTH Bob Phillips "bb" <bb@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:Om%5b.110$Yt.17@newsread4.news.pas.earthlink.net... > When I save in Excel, how do I save individual worksheets separately? Even > when I save Worksheet 3, when I open ...