will not write file to server

when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them
message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but
i don't know how to get it can someone help

thanks pete
0
pblevins (1)

The MSKB article that discusses this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424

suggests ways to contact MS.  I don't know of any other ways.

--
Jim Rech
Excel MVP

0
jrrech (1933)

Windows server 2000 strange crash
Hi, i have a strange problem in my network, 1 dc 2000 server which is also dhcp server and dns server ,and 1 member server 2003 acting as fileserver. When rebooting the dc, it will work properly. Running dcdiag and netdiag will not show any problems, all tests passing, no errors, no warnings. But after 14 hours (at night when nobodys working), the DC simple stops findind himself...running netdiag gives dc_list and ldap errors, dcdiag wont even run, gives just an error 31 with ldap. After this, i get replication errors, problems with connectivity, leading to server stop responding...

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

Office 2004 will not install on MacBook Pro
Hi, I would be grateful for some help from any expert in the group. I have just bought a new MacBook Pro 17 inch. I have run Remove Office several times and tried to install my legitimate copy of MS Office:mac 2004 from disc. Each time I run Remove it tells me that there are files in Preferences. I select Remove and Empty Trash. I have also checked the Preferences folders and removed any Microsoft files manually. I have secure emptied the trash. And this just repeats... Every time I launch the installer it whirrs for a few seconds then quits. No amount of double clicking will r...

Corrupt Access 2003 File
I was working on this file earlier today, I even just opened it and it was fine and all of a sudden there is a write delay to the save the file, I closed it and I try opening it again and it is corrupted. I don't get it. The message I am getting is below. What does that mean. I just finished making a lost of update to the file. The last time I backed it up was Tuesday, and I have done a lot of work to it between then and now. I don't have the time to go back and redo all that work again. Any help will be appreciated. "Microsoft Office Access has detected corruption in this ...

Will un- & reinstalling Outlook'03 delete email & addresses?
I've been plagued with an Outlook problem for about a month. Settings are right. Test email works fine. All other internet related programs are fine. But Outlook gives me a "send/receive error" message as fast as I can hit "Send/Receive". If I keep it open just to check contacts or calendar it always crashes within 10 to 60 minutes. If I start it in safe mode it seems to work all right. I reinstalled and it worked for 30 minutes and then did the same thing. If I Uninstall first, and then Reinstall, will it help? Will I lose my contacts and emails? Help! Find...

Querying MS Access from C# on stored file paths
Hi folks, I'm storing some particulars about file usage in my MS Access database, incl. the full paths of those files. I tried to query the database in my C# code. My idea was to retrieve from the database by means of SQL when a file was used the last time, but I only know the directory it is in, so in my code I tried to construct a WHERE clause as follows: String whereClause = "WHERE Filename LIKE '" + dirpath + "*'"; Of course I'm working on Windows and I don't want to think of portability now. Obviously, the variable dirpath contains double...

help
I have some texts files, which i want to read in each line, and then write back each line to a new text file. So for example, I want to read in the 2 lines below: "C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8 "",0,0,0,318.592,83.04552 I store each line of data in the following vector: std::vector<CString> FileData; So FileData[0] =3D ""C:\Data\=D3=EA=D2=B9=D0=C7=BF=D5",6,10,3,3,8" FileData[1] =3D """,0,0,0,318.592,83.04552" (the data is in the vector correctly) Then I go to write the data to a new text file... FILE ...

Converting XLS file to QIF or to OFX
How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? "dreamchaser" wrote: > How do I safely and securely convert an excel file (xls) to a QIF or OFX file? In Excel, save the file to CSV and ustilise iCreateOFX Basic from: http://icreateofx.co.uk/Convert-CSV-to-OFX to convert the saved CSV file to OFX. ...

Mailboxes in Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server
I have implemented a policy to limit the mailbox size to 30000 K and implemented a 21 day Age Limit. However, 21 days has passed and the 30000 K limit has passed on more than 50% of our mailboxes. How can we enforce this policy to work properly and clean out the mailboxes to bring this down to 30 K. The policy I have created is running and reporting is enabled.It is configured for report only, but I would like this to change to "Move to deleted items folder". However, since nothing seems to happen as of yet...I am hesitant to make the change until I can see a change and tha...

block owa on Back-end server?
Hi, I have setup a Front-End server with Exchange server 2003 and OWA works fun. Now i want to block OWA on the Back-End server (Exchange 2003). That means I just want our users log onto OWA with Front-End server IP address ( Http://front-end ip/exchange)and do not want users log onto the OWA with the Back-End server IP address (Http://Back-end ip/exchange). Could you tell me how to do it? Any idea or info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks. Mike You could do this by limiting what identities the Default Web Site(or whatever web site OWA is under), on the back-end server, will answer for....

execute batch file does not execute all command lines
I am using the following code to execute a batch file which contains multiple commands, each on a separate line. Each command-line creates a file. What I am finding is that only some of the files are being created ( 7 out of 11 ). If I then run the batch file directly ( either by double-clicking, or pasting its path into cmd.exe window ), all files are created ( 11 out of 11 ). private void executeBatchFile(string pathBatchFile, string pathWorkingDirectory, Label outputDump) { ...

Precompiled headers and source files in subdirectory
Hello, I'm using MSVC++ 8.0 SP1 on WinXP Pro and I have a simple, app-wizard generated MFC application. It was using precompiled headers to speed up build times (as is the default), but when I tried to move the c++ source files to a subdirectory "src" to in the project/solution directory, I can't build the program anymore without disabling precompiled headers. I get these errors: error C2859: c:\coding\msvc\toolbar-demo\debug\vc80.pdb is not the pdb file that was used when this precompiled header was created, recreate the precompiled header. error C2859: c:\coding\msvc...

What's the name of the file that stores AutoComplete addresses
My Outlook had to be re-installed and I lost my contact list which is very large. I see several files in the recycle bin. Is one of them by contacts? Autocomplete cache is an NK2 file, named for your profile, often outlook.nk2. Paste the following line in the address bar of windows explorer; %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook and it will open to the folder where its stored. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subsc...

Opening Text Files and Re-Saving Them
Hi. I am trying to write some code which will allow a user to select a folder and then will open all of the text files in that folder and re-save them as excel files. I have sorted out the code to enable the user to select the folder they wish to use, but am looking some assistance on the looping to enable each of the text files to be opened and re-saved. Can anyone suggest how I might do this. Thanks. If the text files are all the same, you could record a macro that Opens, saves as an excel file, and closes the file. Then that recorded macro could be modified to open...

the system cannot find the file specified outlook 2003 #2
Attachments show up in emails, but when you try to open them, the messages comes up "the system cannot find the file specified", but other recipiants on same email can open theirs. ...

ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? #2
I need to fine out how to save a hml workbook onto my website do I need to use ftp server or I can saved from Ecxel? Kosta ...

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition license
Hi We are using SQL Server Express Edition in one ASP .NET web application which will go live and accessed by users situated at different locations. Number of concurrent users and database size of the application is well within the specified limit of SQL Express server. I am concerned about the licensing cost of SQL Server. I understand Express edition is free. Wanted to confirm that use of SQL Server Express edition will be free? Thank you Shailesh Shailesh Yes , it is free and I hope it will "Shailesh" <Shailesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

trouble opening office 2003 excel files
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I am having difficulty opening Excel files that were created in the 2003 version withthe 2008 version. The files were originally created on a windows XP machine, then imported into a Mac using Office 2003 under system 10.4. The files are rather large, approximately 60 columns by 10,000 rows. I haad no difficulty in working with the files between the Windows and Mac systems. I recently got a new MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and installed Office 2008. When I try to read these large Excel files on my new lap...

SMTP on MS EXCHANGE 2000 Server
I have an exchange server set up in our environment but the clients have been set up as pop clients and not as exchange clients. I wont go into the details as to why we have gone for that. The question is that when a client sets its pop server as "abc.mail.com" it receives mails so thats fine but when it writes "abc.mail.com" in SMTP it doesnt send and gives an error as NO TRANSPORT SERVER AVAILABLE. At the moment the clients are using the ISP's SMTP. SMTP connector has been created on mail server and if a client is setup as an EXCHANGE client then there are no issues,...

Exchange 2000 - Additional Server
Hi We have 2 sites, connected via a 256k leased line, separated into 2 subnets. On the site with the Internet gateway, we have an Exchange server 2000, which currently all clients at both sites connect to via Outlook 2000. We have approx 25 users at each site. I would like to put a second exchange server at our remote site, so that when they get attachments etc, they don't have to wait forever etc. We would then have each person's mailbox on the server that they normally use, I can get my site log on scripts to deal with which Exchange server they use. I am thinking maybe we coul...

odd files created
Every time I open and edit an excel spreadsheet on a network share, small odd files get created. They are usually no larger than 25-40k and don't have any extensions to them. Looking at the properties page for any file, the file description says File. Anyone know what this is from or how to get rid of them? Permissions are setup correctly for me, Word files don't have this behavior. Excel 2000 SP3 Thanks, Hi Brian, A file the same size as the workbook would be created in the same directory as the workbook. The filename would be nonsensical (or appear to be random) character...

Supported File Attachment for Faxes
What are the supported file attachment types for fax activities? So far I've gotten simple text files and Bitmaps to attach properly, but Word documents do not work. Anyone know? Is this completed undocumented or what? Try this! If you are attaching a file under the Notes tab, you need to save your fax activity first then you can attach the file. Hope this help, DK "iparadox" wrote: > Is this completed undocumented or what? > > It does'nt work with Word attachments, it only works with .txt files. But it can't be this is what MS wanted. Can anyone p...

Help, please
Can anyone tell me if a file that was accidentally saved over is recoverable in Office XP? One of my users "Saved As" then clicked on a wrong filename in the dialogue box and saved over an important file. Thanks so much in advance. Scott AFAIK not unless there is a backup. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ----------------------------------------...

How do I transfer files between computers in OE?
I use two computers to access my mail and there are files I have on one machine I need on the other. Backing up does not work Help Hi Brian, Please take a look at Microsoft KB article OLEXP: How to Back Up the Outlook Express Address Book and Mail Folders Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 188854 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188854 This article gives you information on how to Backup the OE files and how to import to your new system... Please let me know has this helped You... Thank you... Raghu... This posting is provided "AS IS" with no wa...

Imported/merged .ics file into calendar... how to undo/delete?
Hello. I accidentally imported an .ics file into my main calendar and am wondering if there's anyway to remove the entries that came from this ics file from my calendar? Thanks. Add the modified time field to the view then sort by it - all the imported events should be together with the same modified time. -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about...