Why is my 11-pg .xls file 35 MB (yes, EM bee)?

Why is my .xls file 35 MB (yes, EM bee)?

I have an excel file with 11 worksheets.  Each sheet is
less than 1 page of figures.  Some cells derive their
values by looking up a cell in another worksheet. The
print area is defined for each sheet.

Saved separately, the individual worksheets are only 15 to
50 KB a piece, which is what I would expect.

All together, I would expect the file size to be under
500k, not 35 MB.

Dang! I don't get it! (I'm not a frequent excel user -
I've probably done something really bone head, but I
cannot image what.

Teelbee
0
anonymous (74722)

Hi Teelbee,
Don't have any specific answer, but you might want to check
that the last used cell position is correct.  Ctrl+End
   more information on  my  lastcell.htm#makelastcell webpage.

You might try separating the sheets with a macro just to
check the sizes in the c:\temp\   directory,  strictly as a means
of identification not suggesting you reduce workbooks to one
sheet each.
  Saveas, Save each worksheet as a separate workbook
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/saveas.htm

You might find something additional in
  Slow Response, Memory Problems, and Speeding up Excel
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/slowresp.htm

Since there are not definite solutions any feedback you
can supply would help others.
---
HTH,

"Teelbee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1bba01c48cba$c678fcc0$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> Why is my .xls file 35 MB (yes, EM bee)?
>
> I have an excel file with 11 worksheets.  Each sheet is
> less than 1 page of figures.  Some cells derive their
> values by looking up a cell in another worksheet. The
> print area is defined for each sheet.
>
> Saved separately, the individual worksheets are only 15 to
> 50 KB a piece, which is what I would expect.
>
> All together, I would expect the file size to be under
> 500k, not 35 MB.
>
> Dang! I don't get it! (I'm not a frequent excel user -
> I've probably done something really bone head, but I
> cannot image what.
>
> Teelbee

0
dmcritchie (2586)

Unknown file exporting type. Please pick a new export type.
Hello, Has anyone ever seen the error message "Unknown file exporting type. Please pick a new export type." It has begun appearing when trying to use the Report Schedule within GP and after clicking Publish Now. This just began occurring in one company, but continues to work fine in other companies. The file export type is typically Adobe PDF, but users also receive this when switching to other types such as Text file. This is occurring on the server and at least two workstations. Has anyone seen this error before or does anyone have any thoughts on a resolution for it? ...

Importing/parsing data from an external file in Word 2007 Macros
Hello! I am wondering if this is possible, and if so, how do I do it? What I want to do is this: I have a template, and I want to write a macro that will create a document based on this template by pulling data out of other files, formatting the data, and putting it in the appropriate section of the document. I have no experience with Word Macros or VBA, although I have programmed in VB.NET in the past. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you! Kaiti You would need an AutoNew macro in the template that contained the code statements. Sub AutoNew() ActiveDocu...

Missing inetcomm.hlp file
I am running Win98SE, with Outlook 97 (8.04.5619). When I go to tools | services, select an internet mail account, click properties, and then use the ( ? ) to get help on one of the fields, I get an error indicating that the inetcomm.hlp file can not be found... I am not sure if this was working in the past. I did, however recently apply some security patches from Microsoft. Can't seem to find a copy of the file anywhere (assuming it will fix the problem). Any Ideas? Thanks ...

Install driver files with the same name
Hello, We have multiple driver files with the same name which were provided third party. I am looking for a way to install the drivers. Because We want that the each driver are used in different applications. Is there any way to install the drivers without changing their file sames? Taka <Taka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >We have multiple driver files with the same name which were provided third >party. >I am looking for a way to install the drivers. >Because We want that the each driver are used in different applications. > >Is there ...

file is locked does not appear in Excel if file already open by an
We have shared files on a network drive. When a file is open by one user, and a second user opens the file we want them to recieve <filename> is locked for editing message and open the file read only. This works great for some users, but we have several users that can open the file (even if someone is already in it) and they do not get the prompt and can edit the workbook. Is there a setting that would turn this off for some users and not others in excel? Hello Leslie, You could try sharing the workbook. With the Excel workbook open, choose Tools from the menu. Choose Share W...

Same file exists when I run Optimizer
Dear Sir/Madam, While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is the same file, ...., in the destination.". But I could see for sure that there was No files in the destination. Could you let me know how to fix it? Thanks a lot in advance. KC "�̱�ö" <kclee@jcsworld.com> wrote: >While I was running the Optimizer to utilize free space I met a error >message during moving the files C:\exchsrvr\imcdata into >D:\exchsrver\imcdata " There is...

Conditional linked files
Hi, I have two files (a master and a detail) in which I pull through a column from the detail to the master, using "=[Detail.xls]Sheet1!$A$2" However I would like to configure the spreadsheets so that only data which meets a condition is pulled in the master, in other words using pseudo code as follows. If [link] in detail.xls = yes then display in master. I realise that the condition statement will probably need to sit in the master file but have no idea how this is done or whether possible at all. Any ideas? Mark -- madiba --------------------------------------------------...

Cannot Open Publisher 2002 file because of file access priviledges
Everytime I try to open a Publisher 2002 file I created last week, a dialog window with the following error messages appears: "The file C:\ ...\filename.pub cannot be opened. Access privileges have not been given." I don't recall setting any access privileges to this file. Any ideas on how to open it? -- Kathy ...

Excel formula 11-22-09
I have a list of about 400 last names that I want to use to find in those names in other lists I have by doing an advanced filter. Many of the names are only a few letters and if I use them as is, as my criteria list, I get those names plus any that start with those letters. I know I can format the names so that it will only pick out the exact name on my list by typing ="="the name". I don't want to do that with all 400 names. How can I format the first name on the list and copy or drag it down with each row changing to the name on that row? Example: Adam...

Perso.xls in read only
Environment ; Windows 2000 server, AD in native mode, workstations are Windows XP pro and Windows 2000 pro. Problem I have installed excel (from office 2000) on a Windows 2000 member server in application mode. I followed the procedure from the documentation on the microsoft web site (with the transform file from the office resource kit). When the first user opens excel, no problem. When another one opens it, it says that perso.xls is in read only since someone else is using it and I can notify....... I have uninstalled, re-installed, same thing. What can be the problem Thanks When exce...

IIf Statement in Query Criteria 12-11-09
I have the following code in a query: SELECT qryPointsWithDropOffDates.EMPLOYEEID, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.NAME, qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.TYPESHORT, qryPointsWithDropOffDates.POINTVALUE FROM qryDisciplineNoticesReprint INNER JOIN qryPointsWithDropOffDates ON qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.SSN=qryPointsWithDropOffDates.SSN WHERE (((qryPointsWithDropOffDates.INCIDENTDATE) Between [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.CALCDATE] And [qryDisciplineNoticesReprint.LASTINCIDENTD...

How do I import a WORD file into EXCEL? #2
I'd like to import a WORD table to Excel but when I go to "Select Data Source", only other EXCEL files show, not my WORD files but the Help function indicates that all files should be showing. I've selected "Text Files" from the Data Source; I've tried "All File Types" with no luck. Anybody have a clue for me? ..signed, an Excel Idiot......thanks! File>open and select all files or copy and paste -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "MauiMama" <MauiMama@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27741FDC-23BA-478D-98AC-21760...

Reflecting info between an excel file and a word one or two excel file.
I have an Excel file that I use as a database with the dates of the time when my company does the maintenance of our electronics tools (we work in an industry that uses them a lot, we have around 200 in an Excel file). So the documents look as follows (the images are copied and edited in paint, that's why they look kinda weird). They are next to each other; I divided it here in order to fit it to word's format (it's in Spanish, there's no need for you to understand what it says anyway): Go to www.caladeamerica.com.ar/1st file.jpg please and see it. We do the maintenance of...

PDF file #9

copy and past chart 11-21-07
I have 22 employees. I have created 22 different queries for different performance data. From these I want to creat a chart for each employee. Now I have created one very good chart for one of the employees, but it took a fair amount of doing and now I would like all 22 charts to look exactly the same in appearance. I would LIKE to copy and past the chart and then just change the SOURCE of the data but I cannot figure out HOW to do this? I successfully copied and pasted each query and then just changed the criteria accordingly, but I cannot figure out how to change the source fo...

isv.config file rollback
I have an issue with the isv.config file. I customized it, adding a couple of buttons to the toolbar section under quote. Every now and again, the isv.config file reverts back to an older version of the file, which does not have my customizations. Has anyone encountered this problem? Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is there some setting that I may have forgotten to set? The isv.config is just a file so it won't revert on it self. However if you import an xml customization file this may contain a blank isv.config. -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer ...

How to reduce size of ms excel file-2003
I am usung excel 2003. A file containing 6000 records and 85 columns and used formula in each cell becomes a larger size and dificult in saivng. It takes more time. some time error occures "memory not enough". Is there any solution in excel 2003? If your formulas refer to more rows/columns than necessary, change it. If data no longer needs to be dynamic, Change formulas to values -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "vijay" <pv.cn1.gj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:622ee0ae-1d6f-48f4-86f6-58e0392ac64e@x23g2000prd...

Fonts #11
Is it possible to print a document with all the fonts that are in the font list without having to do it one by one? kind of like an example font sheet. hope this makes sence. thanks heaps Patchie Patch <Patch@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Is it possible to print a document with all the fonts that are in the > font list without having to do it one by one? kind of like an > example font sheet. hope this makes sence. Yes, there are macros for Word available by searching Google. I think Word may even have a template for it. (Google for &qu...

How can I parse this XML file,
Hi Everybody, I'm using C# and System.XML and can parse XML files like this: <LogIn>Yes</LogIn> <Name>DB_MAGUser</Name> but I've been asked to parse and work with a XML file that looks like this: <entry Active="NO"/> <entry LogIn="Yes"/> and I can not parse this one, First of all, can you tell me which one is witch? are they different version of XML? how they call the second one? than if I want to work with second one which class I have to use to be able to parse it? Thank you in advance - Sam Hi Sam, I see you need ...

Corrupted msn file?
My main Money file will not open and seems to be corrupted. It says that the password is not recognized - although it is correct. I tried to run salv.exe but it tells me the same thing - password not regognized.If I run Standrad repair inside of Money (I first opened a test file) - it says that it "the utility cannot repair the file". Any other suggestions? My backup file is at home and I am out if town for another week. Steve In microsoft.public.money, SteveH9034 wrote: >My main Money file will not open and seems to be corrupted. It says that the >password is not rec...

11
111 ...

Can't Find Recently Used Files List
I have Excel 2000 running on WinXP SP2. In Tools | Options | General tab, I have checked Recently used file list checked and set for 9 entries, but the File menu doesn't have an MRU list. Either I'm not understanding something basic, or I need to fix Excel. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. -- Bob Stringer On your pc, do you have any "housekeeping" utilities running which clear "junk" - and is it/they set to clear MRU lists? Might not be Excel that's at fault ... "Bob Stringer" <xxxx@xxxxx.net> wrote in message news:lte4m1lch2...

When I open a Excel File it is corrupted and needs to be converte.
Help. I have just bought the Student Teacher Edition 2003 and realy need it to work. I looked up BinHex 4.0 and nothing came up I could used Does this happen with every workbook or just one? I'm guessing just one. Saved from a previous post: Sometimes excel workbooks get corrupted. One cause is opening them from a floppy and saving to that floppy. (Instead you should use windows explorer to copy to your harddrive/LAN drive), work on it from there, save it there and use windows explorer to copy it back to the floppy.) Another is opening the workbook in MSWord and saving it as...

Email Template in Campaign Activity not available 07-11-06
We're trying to use an e-mail template in a campaign activity, but we can't find the appropriate button in the form. Does it mean that the use of a template is not directly available in a campaign activity (email type)? We're able to use a template only in we create an email activity from the "Activity" menu... Thank's Alessandra ...