Why doesn't text wrap in a cell in Excel?

I am typing text in a cell and want it to wrap.  I checked "wrap text" box
however it still doesn't wrap and I can only see part of the text.  When I
click on the cell the text is there, but I still can't view it if I'm not in
that specific cell.

Is your cell high enough?  Try making your cell hight a bit taller.  Excel
should automatically adjust the cell height, but that's not always the case.

X_HOBBES

"rohrbaught" <rohrbaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am typing text in a cell and want it to wrap.  I checked "wrap text" box
> however it still doesn't wrap and I can only see part of the text.  When I
> click on the cell the text is there, but I still can't view it if I'm not
in
> that specific cell.

0
x_hobbes (7)
4/8/2005 12:58:22 PM
Move the mouse to the row number on the left and double-clik on the
bottom border. The row height will auto adjust.

0
p.sitaram (10)
4/8/2005 1:20:02 PM
rohrbaught shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

> I am typing text in a cell and want it to wrap.  I checked "wrap
> text" box however it still doesn't wrap and I can only see part of
> the text.  When I click on the cell the text is there, but I still
> can't view it if I'm not in that specific cell.

Press ALT+Enter to insert new lines in the same cell.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html
You are exactly right...I expanded the height with my cursor and sure enough
the "hidden" text appeared.  Thanks!

"X_HOBBES" wrote:

> Is your cell high enough?  Try making your cell hight a bit taller.  Excel
> should automatically adjust the cell height, but that's not always the case.
>
> X_HOBBES
>

> "rohrbaught" <rohrbaught@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I am typing text in a cell and want it to wrap.  I checked "wrap text" box
> > however it still doesn't wrap and I can only see part of the text.  When I
> > click on the cell the text is there, but I still can't view it if I'm not
> in
> > that specific cell.

Thanks for responding...I tried this and did not work.

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote:

> rohrbaught shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:
>
> > I am typing text in a cell and want it to wrap.  I checked "wrap
> > text" box however it still doesn't wrap and I can only see part of
> > the text.  When I click on the cell the text is there, but I still
> > can't view it if I'm not in that specific cell.
>
> Press ALT+Enter to insert new lines in the same cell.
>
> --
> Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
> If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?
>
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> How to Report Bugs Effectively
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
> Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
> answer.
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-n
> o-answers.html

Sorry, I wasn't able to follow your instructions.

"P Sitaram" wrote:

> Move the mouse to the row number on the left and double-clik on the
> bottom border. The row height will auto adjust.

rohrbaught shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

> Thanks for responding...I tried this and did not work.

I'm sorry to hear that. It works for me.
Please note that this does not make the line wrap, it just adds hard
coded line breaks. Please follow Hobbes' instructions.

--
Amedee Van Gasse using XanaNews 1.17.3.1
If it has an "X" in the name, it must be Linux?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
How to Report Bugs Effectively
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no" as the
answer.
http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/FGA/questions-with-yes-or-n
o-answers.html
You also need to make sure your cell is set to wrap.  Right click on
cell. Click format. Alignment tab. Check "Wrap Text"

0
rasapir81 (1)

color fill in excell
Using Office XP any cell with text or number will not print the color fill, only blank cells will print the color fill. It shows up ok in the print preview but does not print correctly. Can anyone help ...

TEXT = text

Sorting by last 3 digits in cell
I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your help. Hi, Try adding a helper column (B) and use =RIGHT(A1,3) and fill down, then click any cell within column B and sort. Harry "britten funk" wrote: > I need to sort columns using the last 3 digits of a number > not the first digits. How do I do this? Thanks for your > help. > I'd use a formula like: =mod(a1,1000) To keep them numbers (not text) Or modify Harry's formula to: =--RIGHT(A1,3) britten funk wrote: > > I need ...

Opening Excel File
Please Help I have Excel XP and I cant open another Excel file from Explorer or from an attachment in an email if I already have an excel file open. If i click on an excel file in explorer to open it it justs brings my previously opended excel file to the foreground. It doent open the new one at all. I have to go into the open excel sheet and choose open and browse for the file to open it which obviously causes a problem If I want to open an excel attachment. Any ideas. Cheers Paul Try to Re-register Excel. Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes and note the space be...

Selecting text in a document

How do I set up an Excel Spreadsheet to record qualitative and qu.
Hi you may post your question as body of your posting and not as subject -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Graham" <Graham@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:DF2506C9-BE0E-473D-A55F-09E0C6F3FE83@microsoft.com... > ...

CScrollView and text height

formula in pivot excel 2007
It used to be possible to enter a formula within a pivot table so it would update if the pivot table was changed. E.g. one column divided by another and the formula would be avaiable even for extra lines if another variable was used. Is this still avaiable in new excel, and if so, where? In EXCEL 2007 take the following action:- PivotTable Tools Options Tools group Formulas Calculated Field The Insert Calculated Field pane should launch. In here you are able to set up to divide one column by another. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks....

filtering results in excel
Hello to all you experts, i want to be able to filter a large amount of data to a single row that i can then use in other areas. data consists of about 85 columns and 15000 rows of data, much of which is very similar. 1st filter would have about 15 unique names, each of which then limits the rows to several hundred 2nd filter will then limit the range to about 100 rows 3rd filter approx 20 rows 4th filter 2 rows 5th filter exact range required. Autofilter is the perfect option but, it does not allow me to define the row and then select the data, i.e. any of the 15000 rows could b...

linknig cells
How can I have link two cells from different woksheets? ...

Text Boxes on Charts not showing up

Excel formulae start doing strange things
Has anyone had the problem where the result of a formula is incorrect. I've had on occasion entered a simple formula, such as adding a group of numbers within an "IF" statement and the result is wrong. If I start a new workbook, and enter the exact same thing, it works out correctly. Yesterday one of my co-workers had a problem with a spreadsheed she's been using for years. All of a sudden, she started getting "VALUE" errors in the lower half of the spreadsheet. All formulae were the same in each row. I ended up fixing the problem by deleting 5 rows, then entering ...

Excel 2007
First, I must say that Excel 2007 charting is much worse to use than 97, 2000 or 2003! It is not intuitive as it was with previous versions! I created a very simple line chart. The problem I am experiencing is that is start my initial value at 0%, which is fine and then promptly goes upto 100% and stays there for all the other points. What I love even more is that when I place my cursor over each point it actually give the proper values (73%, 61%,...) but always displays the line at 100%??? Anyone ever seen this problem before? Thank you for your assistance, QB Doubl...

Naming a cell #2
I have a long list of data and want to name each cell individually b using the reference of cell on the left and at the top. e.g. Column A B C Row 1 Maths Science 2 Jack 45 50 3 Andrew 88 40 4 Lalita 75 60 5 --------------------------- 6 --------------------------- 7 --------------------------- & So on. What I want is that cell B2 be named as Jack Maths or Maths Jack cell C2 be named as Jack...

Ranking Numbers with Text

Format cell for negative
Hi I want the value that i type into a cell always to be negative thanks Hi, You need to adjust the format of the cell - this one for instance: -* #,##0_-;-* #,##0_-;_-* "-"_-;_-@_- Notice that the format starts with "-". Go to Format->Cells->Number and paste this format in the custom part. Cheers, Jon "es" wrote: > Hi > I want the value that i type into a cell always to be > negative > > thanks > Is there a specific Cell or range of cells on your worksheet that you want this? Or any and all cells on any Worksheet? "e...

Null in text box

Web Query For Single cells in Spreadsheet
I have a web page that I created with exceleverywhere and would like to import the data into an excel file via web query. The problem is that the web query function in excel 2003 only allows me to import tables, and not single cells. How would I go about selecting just the cells that have the updated data to import? Thanks You could import what you can to another sheet and then use an indirect formula or macro to get what you need. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "analogkid12" <analogkid12@comcast.net> wrote in message news:YUMjc.1397$kp.49445@attbi_s52...

how to delete an excel file? how to e-mail a worksheet?
I just started using excel and i dont know how to delete a file and the file name.I also require information on how to e-mail a worksheet. "mailman" <mailman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:86814A5C-48B9-48D1-8082-8A15479B4000@microsoft.com > I just started using excel and i dont know how to delete a file > and the file name. Open Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder the file is in, highlight the file, press delete. > I also require information on how to e-mail a worksheet. Two options:- With the file open, go to Edit-Send to or, in yo...

Integration assistant for excel #3
I am trying to run an integration and when I try to map the detail query information, my fields are not coming in to select from. The fields come in okay for the header query. Is there a step that I am missing? Thanks, Laura Laura: Here is KB solution you need to review: https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843786 You need to get the list of key fields right. "LauraS" wrote: > I am trying to run an integration and when I try to map the detail query > information, my fields are not coming in to select from. The fields come in > ...