Why do I have a runaway cursor in Excel

About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on
a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill
the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003
0
Peter99 (3)

Hi Peter99,

> About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on
> a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill
> the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003

See

http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt

for a host of possible causes.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
www.jkp-ads.com

0
jkpieterse (271)
3/23/2005 9:39:18 AM
Do you by any chance use an Optical Mouse... on a textured or multi-colored
surface (such as woodgrain)? I've found this to be a very common source of
the symptoms you describe, although I've not found it necessary to 'kill'
Excel to control the problem.

It also seems that USB mice are more inclined to exhibit this behavior than
are serial mice.

LOL |:>)

"Peter99" wrote:

> About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on
> a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill
> the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003
0
CyberTaz (411)
3/23/2005 6:39:09 PM

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Do you by any chance use an Optical Mouse... on a textured or multi-colored
> surface (such as woodgrain)? I've found this to be a very common source of
> the symptoms you describe, although I've not found it necessary to 'kill'
> Excel to control the problem.
>
> It also seems that USB mice are more inclined to exhibit this behavior than
> are serial mice.
>
> LOL |:>)
>
> "Peter99" wrote:
>
> > About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on
> > a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill
> > the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003
0
Peter99 (3)
3/24/2005 12:07:02 PM
I seem to have fixed this by unchecking 'move selection after enter' in tools
option edit......... i have had several problems with the Alps Touchpad
drivers on my Dell Inspiron 8200 ..... had a long running and re-occurring
problem with the cursor jumping in Word

"CyberTaz" wrote:

> Do you by any chance use an Optical Mouse... on a textured or multi-colored
> surface (such as woodgrain)? I've found this to be a very common source of
> the symptoms you describe, although I've not found it necessary to 'kill'
> Excel to control the problem.
>
> It also seems that USB mice are more inclined to exhibit this behavior than
> are serial mice.
>
> LOL |:>)
>
> "Peter99" wrote:
>
> > About half of the time I open an Excel file, I try to position the cursor on
> > a particular cell and the cursor just runs away, cannot stop it, have to kill
> > the session with task manager. Any ideas? This is Excel 2003
0
Peter99 (3)

Excel 2003 - VBA
I need someone to give me a few buzz words and point me to some reference work so that I can get started. I want to place several buttons on a worksheet that will help the user move around. I need to create a button then upon activation change the Caption and execute a macro that will create a button on another sheet. upon activation of this button, I will execute a macro and at the end of the macro, delete the button. In order to work with the button I need to name it then address it to make the changes and ultimately delete it. Here is the code I used to create the first button: Active...

appearance of cursor/cell outline box
In working with linked spreadsheets, and using the CTRL-[ shortcut, I jump between linked cells. I often find myself "jumped" to a large spreadsheet, and it takes a few seconds to locate the cursor/selected cell.(I up arrow and down arrow to make it jump so I can find it, but thats a pain) Is there any way to change the color of the selected cell cusror/selected cell reference block (from black) or make it stand out more prominently in any way. Please note, I'm not asking about putting a border on the spreadsheets cell, but changing the cursor box which showess which...

excel fuction PW
Does excel have fuction NPV and NPW in excel Hi. NPV is there along with several other financial functions. Press F1 for help. John P "ktran2k1" <ktran2k1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:462AA308-AE51-4E27-8855-1300945D8967@microsoft.com... > Does excel have fuction NPV and NPW in excel > ...

Getting data from Access in Excel
I am asking this question on behalf of my brother who is in PNG. He asks (working in Excel/Access 2000): Have managed to persuade Excel to play ball and produce the sort of output I want, now all I need to know is how to get Access to talk to Excel or vice versa so I can wrap the whole thing up in one user-friendly interface. Ideally Excel would tell Access to open the database, export the query to a spreadsheet, and then I can take it from there. As usual, the help is helpless (though there is a topic there). Any help appreciated. Thank you Peter V Hi Peter go to 'Data - External dat...

cursor can't select cell
I have a workbook that I built on one computer when I open on another the cursor won't select cell unless it is double clicked. also won't move via tab or arrows. cells are unprotected Not obvious where cursor is ...

Excel is Gone
I have Office 2004 for my Mac laptop. I ran the Microsoft updater last night, bringing it completely up-to-date, but after the installation, Excel seems to have been uninstalled. I can't find it anywhere on my hard disk and the shortcut to it on the dock is now dead. I would just re-install, but I don't have the Office 2004 disk. This is just completely bizarre to me. Has anyone heard of this happening before? Any suggestions? If it's not in the Trash, then sorry, it has indeed gone! I assume you have run a Search of your hard disk for "Excel"? If it's not t...

How to make aging possible in Excel for an age trial balance shee.
Can anyone help? I am trying to create an age trial balance sheet in Excel, however can't get it to age accordingly. Hi, Anne. :) We'll need more information than that, such as what cells your due dates are in, how many days out they go before they're "aged" and how many agings you want, etc. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.piersontech.com www.mrexcel.com "Anne L" <Anne L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FC248639-5BFE-4E7F-A9A8-58F5FD0C93BB@microsoft.com... > Can anyone help? I am trying to create an age trial balance sheet in Ex...

Runaway Money
This morning my money started marching through and entering all entries on my bills screen. It started entering them and I could not stop it. It work its way through december and started january before I stopped the application through the task manager (ctr/alt/del). I started rebuilding and it took off again. Known bug?? Virus?? Driver error??? Please help -- Jim In microsoft.public.money, Jim wrote: >This morning my money started marching through and entering all entries on my >bills screen. It started entering them and I could not stop it. It work its >way through d...

printing in excel 2007
How do I print worksheets without having to set the print area each time? Office button, Print Or Ctrl/P "Sandy" wrote: > How do I print worksheets without having to set the print area each time? ...

Excel Macros #8
Is there a keystroke combination that will disable further macros from running on a loaded spreadsheet? If, fo example, I allowed macros to execute when the spreadhseet originally loaded, how do I disable this function while inside the same spreadsheet? Hi Joe One way If you add this line in each macro/event then the macro will not work when cell A1 have the value "stop" you can run a macro with this line to place the word "stop" in the cell Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Value = "stop" Sub test() If Sheets("Sheet1").Range(&quo...

Excel Connector Lines
How do i combine Excel connector lines in an organization chart to appear as one line? i.e., Not to appear as lines stacked on top of each other. ...

Excel on the Web
We want to post an Excel web sheet on our intranet that employees can open, change some information and save those changes. I have found the save as HTML which allows you to publish the sheet to the web but I cannot find a way to input data and save those changes. Is this possible or are we dreaming? Thanks Don Did you hit F1 and read the help? donallen wrote: > We want to post an Excel web sheet on our intranet that employees can open, > change some information and save those changes. I have found the save as > HTML which allows you to publish the sheet to the web but I cannot ...

Very Slow to open 2003 Excel Files
It takes me well over 60 seconds to load a file that is 4,000KB. I have tried everything I've seen in other posts to get this file to load faster but none have worked. I've repaired Excel, unchecked use DDE and put the %1 in, opened Excel and selected the file through those methods. However, I still have to wait anywhere from 45 seconds up to 4 hours was the longest loading time to date. I have 14 Excel files that I work with on a daily basis and this is the only one that gives me any trouble. There are many calculations and links to various other sheets, but that ...

Excel and ODBC
I have an ODBC application using MFC that reads data from an Excel document. I open a database and use the CRecordset to read the table. I have a column that has HEX data which will not read in correctly because the data is detected as both numeric and text. Data Example: 7856 32DB 345A 1234 3456 FFCD Is there a way to open a database to read all cells as text? Or is there a way to force all cells of a column to read as text? Thanks in advance George ...

need HELP with simple excel formula!
I'm trying to come up with a basic formula today! I want to find how to write a formula where I want to basically find out: if A1 is >1, then multiply by cell B2 - otherwise (if not true), multiple by cell B1) Any help? Thanks in advance Try =IF(A1>1,A1*B2,A1*B1) Mike "Danni2008" wrote: > I'm trying to come up with a basic formula today! > > I want to find how to write a formula where I want to basically find out: > if A1 is >1, then multiply by cell B2 - otherwise (if not true), multiple by > cell B1) > > Any help? > Thanks in ad...

Excel file crashes when opened for certain users only
Got a shared xl file sitting on a share on the network. Two teams have the exact same access to this share. One team can open the shared xl file without error. With the other group, trying to open this file crashes Excel. Both teams use the same pc build and have the exact same access to the same share. Affected users can open other xl files from same share, just this one xl file that won't load for them, but will for others. This is driving me nuts Any advice? RoJoBo Clean temp files, temp internet files on the pc that crashes "RoJoBo" <anonymous@discussions.mi...

Preventing runaway relay
We have a requirement, as part of our Exchange 2003 environment, to allow certain boxes to relay programmed messages to *all* domains (shudder). Are there any cool tips for safeguarding the Exch 2003 box against a buggy program? I know that out of the box it is locked down to allow no more than x users in a single message, but what about a bug that, say, starts spewing out the same message to the same external users over and over? is there any way to prevent Exch from relaying them over and over? Or, if not, for monitoring it and sounding the alarm when such conditions occur? ...

Importing Excel files into Access -- without having to change the Data Type to "text" one field at a time
Hello - I have recently begun a job where we need to transfer files to Excel, make a few data manipulations, and then import the data into access. The problem is, the only way that I know to do it seems to take a lot of time. When I import the file to access, I have to go through each field to identify it as text. Otherwise, I get import errors. Is there a way to make this process more efficient. For instance, can I somehow let access know that ALL FIELDS are text, rather than having to scan through each individual field to change them to text. I tried saving the excel file as a text file...

how do i add a live excel doc. to my calendar?
I am trying to attach an Excel file to a shared calendar that can be edited by others and updated within the calendar. In news:A02730D9-6514-4515-9686-5D0E5490387B@microsoft.com, jt <jt@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I am trying to attach an Excel file to a shared calendar that can be > edited by others and updated within the calendar. I presume you're using Exchange? Exchange is a lousy file server. I wouldn't expect this to work reliably. Insert a Hyperlink (Insert | File | drop down arrow as a Hyperlink) in a meeting on that Calendar? -- Judy Gleeson [...

gradient transparent in graph (Excel XP)?
I have an area chart where they all start on the same axis. some of the data series overlap and the ability to make them transparent would allow the overlapping correllation to be seen. When I select the fill gradient however, the transparency section is grayed out (unavailable). Why is this and how do I get around it? I tried to download the latest service pack (3) but didn't have my disks on hand so I cancelled. Now I cannot even open Excel because it opens the installer (no way around this until I have my disks). The transparency is only available in the Mac version of Excel. Ma...

Excel #142
My mother in law and I both have Microsoft works Word processor and Microsoft works spreadsheet. She was sent a project she has to do on Excel. How can she do this if she doesn't have excel? I don't want her to have to buy Microsoft office for almost $200 at the store. Is there a way we can purchase just Excel if we have to? You can google for "open office" which is free or look on ebay for excel. Be sure to get a fully licensed xl97sr2 or later. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "LRYAN" <LRYAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

excel inventory spreadsheet
I want to create an inventory spreadsheet - I'm a new user. I want a column for the item, a column for the price of the item, a column for the quantity and a column for the total - ( price x quantity) Can you give me a very easy way to do this in laymans language? Juli Column A for item name. Column B for item price. Column C for item quantity. Column D for item price*quantity. e.g. A1 is widget B1 is $5.00 cost per each C1 is 34 widgets. D1 contains formula =B1*C1 returns $170.00 Copy the D1 formula down column D as far as you have data in A, B and C columns. Gord Dibben MS ...

Runaway svchost.exe
Hi; Over the weekend I got hit with the lsas.blaster virus. I used malwarebytes, SUPERAntiSpyware, and CCleaner and it appeared to remove the infection. However, my pc is now a snail. I have an instance of svchost.exe that is just churning - using up 93-99% cpu. Killing the process forces a restart. Killing the child processes using Process Explorer totally freezes the machine. When I start up in Safe mode, that instance disappears. I'm stumped. How can I find out what is looping and stop it from calling svchost.exe? I'd really hate to have to wipe the drive and do ...

Excel Spreadsheet Font Mysteriously Turned Blue
Hi, I just opened an excel spreadsheet of mine and half the text on the spreadsheet turned blue. Can anyone explain why it turned blue and how to stop it from happening because it occurred a few times before? I know that know one came in and used that file from before I used it. When it happened before I was using a different computer and this time I have been using a new computer and it turned blue again today. I am using Windows XP Pro and Office 2003 Professional. Thanks in advance. Dave Any chance you have Format|conditional formatting turned on for those changing cells? How ab...

Getting rid of excel message after quiting excel
L.S., Via Oracle I save an excel-file to a text (txt) file. In the Oracle-code I want to automatically close Excel, but the message: 'test.txt is not in Microsoft97-format. Do you want to save your changes? bla bla bla.' Is there a way this message can be skipped? The same for the message 'test.txt already exists. Overwrite file?'. Hope anyone can help me! Wilco Morren Hi Wilco Application.DisplayAlerts = False is the standard way, assuming you are talking Excel VBA code. Hope it translates to "Oracle code" one way or another. -- HTH. Best wishes Harald Exce...