Why can't I see all the text in a cell?

I am entering text into a cell.  It is a rather large string of sentences.  I
can not view the entire content of the cell unless I strike F2 to edit.  I
have tried to auto fit the row, but that does not work either.  The text is
not able to be viewed in Print preview, nor does it show in hard copy.  Any
ideas?
0
Woody (23)

This is in the help file:-

Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a
cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar.

"woody" wrote:

> I am entering text into a cell.  It is a rather large string of sentences.  I
> can not view the entire content of the cell unless I strike F2 to edit.  I
> have tried to auto fit the row, but that does not work either.  The text is
> not able to be viewed in Print preview, nor does it show in hard copy.  Any
> ideas?
0
bigwheel926 (227)
9/15/2005 3:58:03 PM
Have you considered the use of a text box?
0
bigwheel926 (227)
9/15/2005 4:01:03 PM
You can see more than the 1000 or so characters documented in xl's help by
adding alt-enters (to force new lines in the cell) every 80-100 characters.

If you have lots of text, you may have to resize the rowheight manually (and
adjust the fontsize and/or columnwidth).

--

Dave Peterson
0

Word 2003 Proofing Text
I have genuine Office Professional 2003 in English. I work in English and Portuguese. I cannot get Word to run Spell Check in Portuguese. It says I need to install the Service Pack. I have tried Service Pack 1 and 2. But when I try to install I get this message: THE EXPECTED VERSION OF THE PRODUCT WAS NOT FOUND ON YOUR SYSTEM. How can I fix this? Why does it have to be so complicated?????? Thanks! Larry ...

I cant see emails coming in anymore.
I used to push send/receive and a box would come up telling me 'Receiving 8 of 40 emails' with a green bar going across the centre. Once the emails are received the box goes. If I push send/receive nothing happens. If I push it say, 10 times, again nothing happens. Once all the emails are thru the box that used to come up, than flashes up 10 times, but by than its a little late. Does anyone know how to get the box back? I would really appreciate it... KR Mick. I send this message using the forward procedure to somebody of the group My problem is likely the same as a lot ...

Countif
I have a database which lists addresses by city, state, zip. I have used =COUNTIF(Database!H3:H33,"<A3>""1") to count the number of times I see five specific states appear (ID,UT,OR,NV,WA) BUT I now need to calculate the rest of the states as "Other States". Must I list every other state abbrev.? >=COUNTIF(Database!H3:H33,"<A3>""1") Not sure what that's counting but I'll take your word that it works! Get the count of the *entire* range and then subtract the result of the above formula. Something like th...

Strip apostrophe from cells
Hi. I am exporting data to Excel from an Access database. There is a large volume of data, and much of the text is being preceded by the apostrophe ('). This does not appear in the cell - only in the formula bar. Is there any function I can use to get rid of it? I've tried Clean, Left, Right, etc, but they don't seem to see it. Going into each cell is obviously not an option, and I'm stuck - please help!! Thanks a lot, Jennie. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ this is because, preceding a number value with an apostrophe lets excel know it is text. if y...

Getting data into Excel cells for OLE objects retuened from Access
Hello all, I have a MS Query in Excel filtering and retrieving relevant data from MS Access. When the data returns, all BUT the column which refers to a OLE object datatype in Access returns values. What should I set the format in Excel to see the OLE objects dynamically. Thanks AFAIK, that is not possible. Sorry. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta, MS MVP -- Excel www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <0dce01c3db7e$ba637bb0$a301280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hello all, &...

Not able to see all data but can see on another computer
Hi, I am using SAP application and if i retrive the excel file from SAP i can see only 48 lines where as i should see 110 lines but if i opened that same excel file in another computer then i can see all lines (110 Lines) i don't know why its happening. Can anyone help on this? Thanks in advance. Regards, Harish ...

text that doesn't wrap
I frequently use Excel as an issues database for projects. There is one field/column for history in which I input free text and often paste in text from other sources like email. Many times I find that pasted text does not wrap. To make the text viewable, I have to manually [Alt][Enter] to insert line breaks. Do I have any other option? Thanks. Select the column for notes, prress Ctl + 1, Choose the Alignment tab and click Wrap text. Beware, Separate paragraphs will be copied into different rows. Peter "wsg" wrote: > I frequently use Excel as an issues database for pr...

Formatting cells according to arrays
I want to create arrays out of columns (One array for each column) and format cells in the whole workbook according to these arrays. Meaning, whatever is in array 1 will have format x; whatever is in array 2 will have format y and so on. I also want to clear the format of any cell that its content is not in any of the arrays Can anyone help me? I new to this� Hi if you only have 3 arrays you may take a look at conditional format and enter a formula like =COUNTIF(array1,your_cell)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mickey wrote: > I want to create arrays out of columns (One...

Is there an array formula that works with text?
The array formula {=3DSUM(IF(A1:A10=3D1,B1:B10))} will return the contents of B2 if A2=3D1 and the content of B2=3D a number. But what if B2=3D text? Can this formula, or one similar to it, be made to return a letter or word=97something other than a number? VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH would spring to mind Try Debra's nice coverage on these functions at her: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html VLOOKUP http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions03.html INDEX/MATCH There's also some sample workbooks available for d/l & study -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdem...

international absulute cell reference
To make an absulute cell reference you use the dollar sign. How would you make an absulute cell reference on a keyboard with no dollar sign? Example: russian keyboard, japanese keyboard, ect... Hi AFAIK it is always the $ sign in all language versions (not sure though about Japanese versions). Maybe ask this is the Japanese Excel newsgroup -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Sadinga wrote: > To make an absulute cell reference you use the dollar sign. How > would you make an absulute cell reference on a keyboard with no > dollar sign? Example: russian keyboard, japanes...

How to change the text color of control on dialog
hi i have the following code for changing font on dialog control. now i have to change the text color of the control how to change it My code is .... BOOL CTestbed2Dlg::OnInitDialog() { LOGFONT lfNew; CDialog::OnInitDialog(); ZeroMemory (&lfNew, sizeof(LOGFONT)); lfNew.lfHeight = 18; lfNew.lfWeight = FW_BOLD; strcpy (lfNew.lfFaceName, "Comic Sans MS"); m_fntBoldComic.CreateFontIndirect(&lfNew); m_ctrlRadio1.SetFont (&m_fntBoldComic, TRUE); // etc... } Could anybody tell me about this problem. Thanking in anticipation. Mujtaba &q...

Query to Access : does'nt see tables
Office 2000 SP3 FR From Excel / MS Query, I want to read data in Access tables. I choose the mdb file and so MS Query displays this error message (translated) : "This data source does'nt have any visible table". Original in French : "Cette source de donn�es ne contient aucune table visible." I transfert my data to a new mdb file : it work's few times (!), then the error message appears again. How to resolve this problem ? Jacques. Gotcha ! MS Query does'nt accept a file name with 2 dot inside ! Example : MyFile.mdb --> Ok My.File.mdb --> "...

numbers to be displayed as text
hi i need numbers to be displayed as text for eg. 123 will be displayed as One Hundred Twenty Three shiv, have a look here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q213360 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 "shiv" <shiv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:93E6C04C-CFD9-40E9-97AD-9A021E561E7F@microsoft.com... > hi > i need numbers to be displayed as text > for eg. 123 wi...

How to see my mail queue?
Hi there, I have a Exchange 2000 running on Windows 2000 server. Could you please tell me how to monitor my emails in my mail queue? I can't find a location on the Windows to see the mail queue status. Thanks in advance, Ross To view the mail queues follow these steps: 1. Open system manager, Navigate down to the following location Your organization --> Administrative groups --> Your Admin group --> Servers --> Your Server --> Protocols --> SMTP --> SMTP virtual server --> Queues You should then see all the smtp queues and monitor mail. thanks, J. ...

Create a user-defined cell to display shape's layer name
How can I reference a shape's own layer name to display as a field? Specifically, I want to create a text box with a custom formula or user-defined field that display's that shape's one and only layer name. I can display the layerMember index by using "=LayerMember", but can't figure out the name. Please no VB/VBA. Thanks. The 1st thing to do might be just making custom propery on the page. Then please open the shapesheet of the page, add rows to the Custom Preperty Section, (or Shape Data in Visio 2007). The number of rows are as same as the number of layers. An...

Increase notes font, text doesn't autofit into placeholder
In the Notes Master page, I resized text to 24-point so that I can actually see the notes when standing up. The notes (outside of Notes Master) resizes alright, but the autofit-text option is disabled. I don't relish the idea of going through each slide page to turn it back on. Neither do I enjoy the prospect of having to do this repeatedly whenever I change font sizes. Is there a switch or text box property I can set in the Notes Master page to turn on the switch by default for all the slide pages? I can manually override (if ever needed) on a page-by-page basis. I am usi...

Select all colored cells
I am working on a code in visual basic for a macro in Excel. In the worksheet, I have an area that is green. What I want the program/macro to do is copy a formula in an existing cell, select all the colored cells (all cells are the same color) and paste the formula in the colored cells. Is this possible? If so, what does the code look like? Thank you! This might get you started: Option Explicit Sub testme03() Dim subRng As Range Dim cellWithFormula As Range Dim SuperRng As Range Dim myCell As Range With ActiveSheet Set SuperRng = Selection For E...

CSV/Text formatting
Hello I have Excell 2003 on WinXP Home edition. In column A1 I have value 107, I need 00107 and i need it saved in .CSV format. I'm converting columns to TextFormat and excel accepts it but when i want to save it in Csv format i say something about loosing some formatting. I HAVE to save file in CSV format with values in column A 00107 not 107...please help me ! Thank you. For Each cell In Range("A1", Range("A1").End(xlDown)) cell.NumberFormat = "@" cell.Value = Format(cell.Value, "00000") Next cell -- HTH RP (r...

In a List Control with a Background image How to set the SkMode of Text as TRANSPARENT
Hey Friends I have created a List Ctrl (with LVS_REPORT)and used SetBkImage to set a BackGround image for th list control. Now when i add some items to it using InsertItem the full row becomes white which i do not want.Is the Custom Draw is the only option or this came into the mind of designers of List Control and they have provided some better solution. Custom draw is the only option. Be aware that some controls (like CEdit) malfunction badly with transparent backgrounds; I have never tried this with list controls (it should work, but it should have worked in CEdits as well...) ...

I see you
Well, not really, but I used Google Earth to zoom in on the Flatiron Building. You can get so close you can see the utilities on the roof, the hydrants on the street, the little parkish area across 5th Avenue, etc etc. Cool! Now tell me where your office is (like where is Peter's window, what floor and facing what street). Google Earth lets you zoom in all directions so I'll be able to turn the map to see that window. Silly I know but still a connection on some level. Pats looked good but not great last night. I didn't watch much more of the game. I'm not sold on ...

Text to Columns #2
Having used the "Text to Columns" tool once on a worksheet (to separate by spaces), I find I can't switch it off. Every subsequent time I try to copy and paste some other text from a single cell, for some completely different reason, the pasted data gets spread over many columns if there are any spaces in the text. How can I switch off "Text to Columns" after using it? This surely must be a bug, it's so unreasonable! Tod Excel likes to help by remembering your last settings. This can be really handy if you're pasting similar stuff lots of times. You ...

text disapearing in a text box
I put a text box on a chart. After typing it in (it was a long text) I saved the chart I could still see all the text. After I saved it, I created a PDF. It was still fine. After I closed excel. The next time I opened the chart part of the text was gone. I tried to resize the text box, but part of the text was still gone. When I oringinally save the chart I didn't get an error message about the size and the pdf after the save showed all of the text. Thanks ...

Address Book Not Working With Text Messages Sent By Outlook
Every time I try to send a text message per Outlook, I can type and send the message, only as long as I physically type a person's name in the To box. If I click on the little address book button beside the To box or click on the icon at the top of the message page, I immediately get kicked out of Outlook, and it must restart. Does anyone know what is wrong and how it might be fixed? Thanks, Candy What version of Outlook? What type of email account? It sounds like the address book is corrupt. If you use outlook 2003 or older, try this: go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose Vie...

Convert Word Table -> Excel without merged cells?
Whenver I copy/paste tables from word to excel, I get merged cells in Excel whenever there are line breaks in the word table cells. How can I avoid this? TIA Steve Saved from a previous post: If your cells in your word table contain paragraph mark or linebreak characters, then excel will bring them over as separate cells. One way around it is to convert those paragraph marks & linebreaks to unique characters, then copy|paste and then convert them back to linefeeds. I like this technique (inside a copy of the word file): Select your table. Edit|replace|Special (show More if required)...

email format is changed from HTML to Text
I haven't done any research on this, I hope someone has the answer. Sometimes when I reply to a message, the email format is changed from HTML to Plain text automatically, It does't happen when I am writing a new email, it is just sometimes when I am replying. Are you sure that the message to which you are replying is HTML and not just plain text with foreign encoding? For example, I set the encoding for this message to Turkish, but it is still plain text. It just doesn't appear that way (to me anyway, and possibly also you). Ray at work "Alex Perez" <aperezny@h...