Why can't I save a file in Excel 2007?

When I click on the save icon, there is no place to type in the new file name.

If a new unsaved file you will get the dialog to enter a name.

If an existing saved file, Save will do that save without asking you for a
name since it assumes you want to save the file with same name.

To change name of a saved file, hit "Save As"

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:05:01 -0700, lorgeron
<lorgeron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I click on the save icon, there is no place to type in the new file name.

0
Gord
3/19/2010 10:31:56 PM
Once a workbook has been saved,clicking Save saves the workbook to the
file so no user interface is displayed. Perhaps you need to use Save
As instead.

Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
	Excel, 1998 - 2010
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:05:01 -0700, lorgeron
<lorgeron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>When I click on the save icon, there is no place to type in the new file name.
0
Chip
3/19/2010 10:46:39 PM
The problem is with any new workbooks or when trying to "save as".  A
diaglogue box opens, but there is no place to name the file.  I have even
tried repairing Excel 2007, but without success.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> Once a workbook has been saved,clicking Save saves the workbook to the
> file so no user interface is displayed. Perhaps you need to use Save
> As instead.
>
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft Most Valuable Professional,
> 	Excel, 1998 - 2010
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:05:01 -0700, lorgeron
> <lorgeron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >When I click on the save icon, there is no place to type in the new file name.
> .

Code Bloat/Growing Excel files?

Test file needed quickly
Does anyone know where I can get a very large testt excel file that has a running macro? What I need to do is to run several apps that will "drain" most of my resources. I need to test another app in how it will handle low resources. I was thinking someone might have a test file just for this reason. A large spreadsheet that has a macro doing some calculations, at the same time while other apps are running. Thanks ahead for any help or suggestions. You realize if you fill a cell and then copy it to the rest of the sheet, it get really big, really fast? Dave wrote: > Doe...

I cannot send a fax from excel, I always get a line busy message.
I am using win xp and I am trying to send a fax with excel. I go to file chose print, pick fax driver and then fax wizard comes up, I enter phone number in wizard and click finish but I always get a line busy message in the fax monitior, can anybody help me. Thanks , Dan ...

ayuda con formula excel
quiero saber se me puede ayudar en eso praticamente yo quiero una formula da enserir an la celda CANCELLARE (mira foto para entender) http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2152/89861598.jpg [img=http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2152/89861598.th.jpg] que quando uno presiona la tecla CANCELLARE se borre todo el contenido de la linea detras de CANCELLARE o vero ( C9-D9-E9-F9-G9-H9 ) y trambien se tendrian que borrar en la hoja (tabla de datos ) donde estan lo mismo valore de ( C9-D9-E9-F9-G9-H9 ) o vero ( A7-B7-C7-D7-E7- F7-G7 )( mira la foto abajo ) http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/9799/32649272.jp...

Unable to save password in Outlook 2003

Mouse dissappears in Outlook 2007 B2
Notice an annoying "feature", my mouse will dissappear in Outlook for some reason and have to drag it off the Outlook window to like the tastbar or desktop and back again to see it. Dang, was hoping 2007 would have a universal selection in turning off that $@%$# GROUP view and READING PANE. I want neither, but have to go through all my folders (26) to change them to "normal" viewing. Also, guess Beta testers know this, but the scanpst.exe doesn't work in B2. Keep getting "procedure entry point DDLUnintInstace@" errors in fixing on ..pst file Outlook ...

money file extraction: virus or worm
hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it started extracting a bunch of files. then that screen closed. now the program will not work. is there a worm or virus targeting people's MOney files? travis johnson lafayette, oregon In microsoft.public.money, travis johnson wrote: >hi, i opened MS Money 2002 last night, and instead of >starting the program, a screen opened in MS-DOS, and it >started extracting a bunch of files. > >then that screen closed. > >now the program will not work. > >i...

Save and save as

Saving Images

C++ Automation of excel
Where are the constants being used in the xl constants (such as xlPasteAll) listed that I can use them in VC++ automation code? or is there an include library that I can pull in to the code? Thanks in advance. create your own enum that looks like this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbaxl11/html/xlmthPaste1_HV03088335.asp Look under xlPasteTypes AliR. "Ven" <Ven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F134B653-D721-48F9-B615-BBDCBFA34CEA@microsoft.com... > Where are the constants being used in the xl constants (such as xlPa...

Accessing Excel files over network
Hi Guys, First time here, so go easy on me. Scenario: Basic Windows 2000 Server based network with about 20 work stations connections. Server is a DC and workstations are all running Windows XP Pro. Workstations are also running Office XP. Users have deposited common files in a folder on the server. Because of control measures, these excel folders and files need to have permissions defined for either full control of read only access for certain members of the dept. Eg would be Folder Full Control Read-only Folder A Employee 1 Employee 10 ...

Money 2007 Home and Biz Budget Question
I've gone through and budgeted each of my individual expense and income categories in the Savings and Spending Budget. However, under the Committed and Fun Budget Groups, there is a very large Unallocated balance. I can't figure out how to get rid of it, or how to backtrack to somehow correct the problem. The amount is very large and is really throwing my overall budget and Lifetime Planner completely out of whack. Any help is appreciated! Steve The budgeting within 2007 is NOT an improvement from earlier versions. Where is the option to used the advanced budget? Some of ...

"Unattainable" savings goals

EXCEL #153
EXCELL - CAN ONLY ENTER 15 DIGITS, ENTERING MORE SHOW ZERO'S?? Please do not post with CAPS Lock on it is hard to read and considered rude. You should check your HELP and look up "specification limit" these are limitations built in or limitations that Excel must work with. You should not be using a numeric field for a credit card number for instance because it is not treated arithmetically, you should be using identification information at text. When you enter a 16 digit credit card 'number' the first 15 digits are the most significant digits and will be retai...

Saving default tabs

How to delete task request from inbox on Outlook 2007
For 13.5 months a "task request" from a coworker has been parked in my inbox. The task is complete and was marked as such but I cannot delete it, move it, reply to it, forward it, or take ANY action on it without the message "the operation failed" popping up. Any suggestions on how to clear this would be appreciated. The coworker has cleared this on his outlook as well and our IT guy has not been able to do anything with it either. In fact, nobody in the office has any idea why my system is unique this way. I've never had issues with any other tas...

why I can't declaring a CArray object in a separate header file?
Hello I have no problem declaring a CArray variable inside a class definition but as I have a separate file that I place all my typedefs inside it, I have tried to define a struct that has a CArray member but compiler says: Error 1 error C2248: 'CObject::CObject' : cannot access private member declared in class 'CObject' c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\atlmfc\include\afxtempl.h 272 this was my code inside TypeDefs.H typedef struct tag_compliance_info { LONG lModuleCode; LONG lModuleVersion; CString sModuleName; CArray<POINT> aCompliance; } STRUCT_COM...

PST file import to windows mail
I have chage my PC and I cannot import the PST outlook file in to my new windows Mail so far A error message appaer when I try to import a outlook message. Is someone have an idea regarding this issue Thanks Philippe You need outlook installed and configured on the Vista PC before you can import There is a workaround, assuming the old pc with outlook on is still available. You export your mail to outlook express, then copy the outlook express msg store to the Vista PC, then Mail can import it. Or you download the Office trial, with outlook, connect your pst as default to outlook, ...

Save to unProtect a Document?

Save csv format to dbf format

Linking Word and Excel #2
I have a Word document with a large number of tables linked to cells in an Excel spreadsheet. The tables in the worksheet are in the same order as those in the Word document. I would like to insert a new table between other tables linked to the Excel spreadsheet but when I insert the new table between the others in the Excel spreadsheet, it invalidates all the other linked information. I take this to mean that the links are not absolute references. Is there any way to do this without having to reconstruct the links? Thanks ...