When I type numbers in currency all I get is #######

After I type an amount in a cell, it turns to pound signs as soon as I go to
the next cell.  How can I fix this?

Amanda

Make the column wider

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"mommy4shane" <mommy4shane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After I type an amount in a cell, it turns to pound signs as soon as I go
> the next cell.  How can I fix this?
>
> Amanda

0
terre081 (3244)
12/3/2005 2:13:11 AM
It could mean a few things.

1.  The columnwidth is too narrow to show the number.

    Widen the column or change the font size of that cell.  Or change the
    numberformat to General.

2.  You have a date/time in that cell and it's negative

    Don't use negative dates.  If excel was helping you, it may have
    changed the format to a date.  Change it back to General (or some
    other number format).

    If you need to see negative date/times:
    Tools|options|Calculation Tab|and check 1904 date system
    (but this can cause trouble--watch what happens to your dates
    and watch what happens when you copy|paste dates to a different
    workbook that doesn't use this setting)

3.  You have a lot of text in the cell, the cell is formatted as Text.

    Format the cell as general.

4.  You really have ###'s in that cell.

    Clean up that cell.

5.  You have # in a cell, but it's format is set to Fill.

    Change the format
    (format|cells|alignment tab|horizontal box, change it to General.

--

Dave Peterson
0

"mommy4shane" wrote:

> After I type an amount in a cell, it turns to pound signs as soon as I go to
> the next cell.  How can I fix this?
>
> Amanda
0
Karla (8)

Pie of Pie Chart type with smaller pie showing slices of main slic
Hi How can I do the following: Lets say I have the following labels and data For the main pie I have A,B,C labels with A =5, B =10, and C =20. So my main pie would show 3 slices with C being the largest slice. To do this I highlight the 3 labels and their data and choose Insert, Pie, Pie in a Pie to show a main pie on the left with 3 slices and a smaller solid pie to the right with series lines connectiing them. I want to show the solid smaller pie on the right in several slices to show how the C slice of 20 is broken down. lets say the main slice C of 20 is made up ...

Typing in macros
I have made a few macros and use them in word and excel 2000. When I see typed out macros on the message boards I am not quite sure how to use them. Do I go into the editor, type them in and then link them with a button on the toolbar? What module do I put them in and is there one for the personal worksheet. I have been struggling with the syntax of Visual Basics for years. Just need a step by step explanation. Thank You Sue In general, the macros you see in the groups are likely to be ordinary macros that will go into a general module in the VBE, eg:- Hit ALT+F11 and this will...

Font with Monospaced Numbers
Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will line up. When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign. I don't want a totally monospaced font (I have one of those). Only the numbers, not text/letters should be monospaced. Thanks for your help. Fred Holmes Try using Courier. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to >Arial, ...

Rectification of wrong posting type
Hi There is one PL account say "Mic Expenses" has got wrong posting type "Balance sheet", when we closed the year 2005 ,System has brought forward the balance of that account into next year 2006, which otherwise should have been gone into the Retain Earning of 2006, is there any option to rectify this error, other then passing rectifying JV in 2005(coz in that case if I take last year TB then ending balance of this account would be Zero) or restoring the backup and doing closing procedure again. Thanks in Advance Shabnam There is a Article ID for this in partner s...

save same web query by date so I can chart currency movements
I'm fairly new to using Excel for financial modeling, but recentl figured out how to pull graphs from the internet and have them updat periodically (Excel asks you to choose a number of minutes betwee updates). However, I really don't want the web query to update, I want it to sav the chart each day (automatically instead of manually) in a ne worksheet so I can go back and develop a page that will chart changes. If it helps to visualize, I'm pulling a currency chart fro Bloomberg.com, but they only list the day's movements. I'd like to hav it save each day at market clos...

Open File Dialog to fileter multiple file types at once...?
Hello, Here is another quick one for you all. The solution is probably simple, but I cannot find the answer anywhere. I have the following code: CFileDialog OpenDlg(TRUE, NULL, NULL, OFN_ALLOWMULTISELECT | OFN_HIDEREADONLY, ""); // Later must set this to retrieve a value from the registry OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrInitialDir = "c:\\"; OpenDlg.m_ofn.lpstrFilter = "txt Files\0*.txt\0Doc Files\0*.doc\0"; OpenDlg.DoModal(); I am trying to get the box to filter out everything but the *.doc and the *.txt files ... I have seen some boxes that have something that...

Some chart types cannot be combined with other chart types?
Hi, I am getting the above error message everytime I try to insert a chart or any type into a completely blank presentation using either the Insert, Chart command or the Insert Chart button in the Title and Content slide layout. I am using 2007. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. TIA, Shane Devenshire Try running Office Diagnostics, Shane. Open PPT or Excel, hit the Office button, then <app> Options | Resources. I think that may resolve this issue. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007...

Build Table of Figures with Figure Number, but without caption lab
Anyone know how to build a Table of Figures that includes the figure number and page number, but doesn't include the caption label "Figure" repeated for every entry in the table? -- Michael This can't be done unless you use a macro to build the TOF. What you can do, via the user interface, is exclude the label *and* the figure number. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Michael" <michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAC86167-8903-4899-A127-EF331053A8F0@microsoft.com... > Anyone know how to build a Table of Fi...

Sorting numbers
I am having difficulty when attempting to do a numbers descending sort, from a position where the data is in rows. I have no trouble with other sorts of this type, but in this particular sort, a six digit number is sorted behind a five digit number, because the first digit is smaller than the first digit of the five figure number. Any help please? - Also how do I avoid getting the title headings (shown in the left column, in the row alignment) unnecessarily involved in the sort? Thanks in advance douglas Douglas, I think Excel is seeing your 'numbers' as text and so is sorting the...

I can't get on to outlook
i get message Cannot open outlook window and then states outlook must be online. I don't have an exchange server. Can anyone help? go to control panel, mail and create a new profile with the correct account types. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-N...

need help to declard type=IntType instead type="xsd:int" with xml schema
Hi, I am writing C# code to produce xml schema. //Create attribute XmlSchemaAttribute att2 = new XmlSchemaAttribute(); att2.Name = "CustomerID"; att2.SchemaTypeName = new XmlQualifiedName("int",schemaNS); att2.Use = XmlSchemaUse.Required; ct.Attributes.Add(att2); I need to produce schema with custom data type instead of the xsd:string or xsd:int The code above will produce the following schema <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xsd:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" version="1.0" xmlns:xsd=...

Scatterplots with different colors based on Type of Data
Is it possible to plot a scatterplot with different colors for 2 sets of data? E.g Type of Agreement MRP Discount% Limited 10 5% UnLimited 20 10% I want to show different colors for Limited & Unlimited. Is it possible to plot scatterplots on both axis(Primary & Secondary) Please let me know. Thanks, Satish If I use this range to make a chart Limited 10 5% Unlimited ...

outlook type interface
I have an SDI application and want to change it so I have a split window, on the left I want a TreeControl above a 'PropertyGrid' control. Then my exisiting SDI Client in the space on the right Can anyone point in the right direction to achieve this Any help will be much appreciated Thanks Phil You need to use two CSplitterWnds (as members of your CMainFrame). Override CMainFrame::OnCreateClient and create a vertical splitter as the main child (i.e. 1 row, 2 cols). Then you want to create a horz splitter as a child of the left-hand pane of the main splitter (which has 2 rows, 1 c...

I cannot get my pivotchart to filter data the way I want
On the x-axis I have 1440 data points in a drop down box in a pivotchart. I want to select 60 data points to view at a time, right now I have to individually select all sixty all datapoints to view. Help please. ...

Positive & negitive numbers in conditional formatting statement
I know this will be a easy one for somebody, in a report field I would like to highlight the money amounts (clear/white) for zero, red for neg Number (money owed) and green for credited money. Zero works great, but it seems that it would tell positive from negitive numbers. -- Frank Hi Frank Use condidtional formating HTH -- Wayne Manchester, England. "Frank" wrote: > I know this will be a easy one for somebody, in a report field I would like > to highlight the money amounts > (clear/white) for zero, red for neg Number (money owed) and green for > cred...

cells changing from number to date
I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? What are you inputting, a fraction?if so, format as # ??/?? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mwhite@srgmac.com" <mwhite@srgmac.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E71CED6D-8370-44D1-A4BF-9A6B352205F3@microsoft.com... > I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous > cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? ...

VSTO Excel 2003 to VB 6.0 Type mismatch
Hi, I have an Addin 2003 Application. In this Application I'm calling an VB 6.0 Dll and I send Excel Application Object as Parameter. In VB Project I'm using Workbook_Open event with WithEvents. I have a messagebox there. Unfortunately when i call VB dll , I get this Error Message -- > Type mismatch. Is there any Idea? Code in VS2008 : private Project1.Class1 vbapp; private void ThisAddIn_Startup(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { #region VSTO generated code this.Application = (Excel.Application)Microsoft....

Connect a number to a picture bank and import that picture to exce
I have a colum with numbers for specific products (example 111,123456) and I want a picture in the colum to the right of it that matches the number. On the computer I have a folder with pictures named with the product numbers. So my question is: Is there a function to link the the number in for example cell A1 with the picture that has the same name as the value in A1 and put that picture in cell B1. Thanks to whom ever have an answer, it would help my life. Best Regards Dennis Hi Dennis Have a look at this site : http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html HTH John...

predictive typing of addressee
I am frequently sending sensitive email to a person who has a very common name. More than once I have almost sent the email to the wrong party because of the Outlook feature that predicts the addressee name. Does anyone know how to eliminate names from the dropdown list that appears as you type tha addressee name? Or is there a way to stop addressee names from appearing automatically as you type in the "To" field. Any help will be appreciated. joanne Use arrow keys to highlight error address, then hit Delete Btn Do you use Contacts?, hitting the 'To' Btn will bri...

convert text to numbers #3
I have negative numbers in my worksheet that are text such as –6.90%. I try converting them to number using the paste special multiple or add and they stay as text. When I sort the columns in descending order they continue to come out as text and right justified. could it be the the negative sign is not a real negative sign. –6.90% –5.61% –5.37% –35.80% Hi Copy one minus-sign Select the range with values. Check, that range is formatted as numeric or general. Replace all minus-signs with "-". It's done! (you had there 'long -', which you get when you enter double ...

How to convert CString type to LPCSTR type
Hi, I have a CString type variable, and I need to convert it's to LPCSTR type ,what I can do! example: CString m_strExecFile(_T("C:\\\\aa.exe")); next I want to call WinExec Command to execute this file LPCSTR lpcstr ; lpcstr = m_strExecFile.GetBuffer(); WinExec(lpcstr,SW_SHOW); BUT the compilier tells me it can not convert w_char * to LPCSTR type! Why? ps. I use vs2005 program in UNICODE mode. Any helpful ideas would be highly appreciated! -joseph Why use a CString in this case at all, if all you are doing is using it in WinExec. Something ...

"Can't change data type" error
I'm trying to reduce the field size of text fields in my database. They defaulted to 255 characters when I created my database but in many cases I only need a size of around 20. When I enter the reduced size for one field in the table design view and try to save the change to that field I get the following errors: "Microsoft Access can't change the data type. There isn't enough diskspace or memory." When I click OK to the above I then get the following message: "Errors were encountered durnig the save operation. Data types were not changed. Properties w...

Left justifying numbers.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Our office machine has item numbers for parts that very in length. They are left justified in their sorts. Example: 188632, 1886325, 188655, 18889700, 190271, 191060, 194210 If I sort another column and then later try to resort it by item number, it wants to sort these numerically. I've tried to say they are text, but that doesn't work either. Is there a way to sort "left justified"? The trick is that the cells need to be formatted as Text *before* putting the data into them... And I'm afraid that pasting (even Pa...

Aggregate data types mismatch
Using reporting services 2008. Getting a really weird error when calculating a variance between a budget and actual amount in the report. Both the underlying fields are of data type 'money', but when performing the calc in the report writer, i am getting the following error: [rsAggregateOfMixedDataTypes] The Value expression for the textrun 'Variance_MTD_ActualvsBudget1.Paragraphs[0].TextRuns[0]' uses an aggregate function on data of varying data types. Aggregate functions other than First, Last, Previous, Count, and CountDistinct can only aggregate data of a si...

Error number 0x80044106 with SFO
Hi, When I go offline with SFO, I get the error 0x80044106. I know that this error is in the KB of Partner source site (KB898798). But I have a technical problem at the moment and I can't use the Partner Source Site. I have to resolve this issue quickly. So, if someone could help me ... Thanks a lot, Chris You receive an "Exception from HRESULT 0x80044106" error message when you click a Microsoft CRM folder on the Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook toolbar in Microsoft Outlook View products that this article applies to. ----------------------------------------------------...