What's wrong with the RETRY button on data validation?

Is there a problem with the RETRY button in data validation, as I cannot get
it to work in any of the criteria allowable situations.
Clicking it causes no action and the Data Validation dialog remains open.
The only way I can use the validation is to click cancel, which, in effect,
does the same thing, but.....
If there is a problem, is it able to be fixed?
(I have xl2000)
Rob

0
robnobel11 (12)

Hi Rob!

Sounds like something wrong with your criteria.

Re-Enter, Re-consider, or post criteria used and that required.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
1/22/2004 11:19:23 PM
Norman,
Just simply ....
I open a brand new workbook.
I select A1 and then Data Validation.
I choose List in the allow box and type the word test in the source box.
I click OK.

I  can type test in A1
BUT...
If I type anything else, I get the error message with the RETRY and CANCEL
buttons.
When I click RETRY nothing happens.
Rob

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> Hi Rob!
>
> Sounds like something wrong with your criteria.
>
> Re-Enter, Re-consider, or post criteria used and that required.
>
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

0
robnobel11 (12)
1/22/2004 11:41:53 PM
Hi Rob!

Data validation is doing what you ask. Rejecting everything but the
word test.

What happens with Retry varies according to settings in Data
Validation on Blanks and In-cell drop down.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 12:25:30 AM
> Data validation is doing what you ask. Rejecting everything but the
> word test

Yes Norman I realise that....but

> What happens with Retry varies according to settings in Data
> Validation

Nothing happens with the RETRY button no matter what the settings are.
I ahve no trouble using Data Validation except that the RETRY button will
depress without anything happenning at all. (The button just presses in and
out and nothing happens unless I click the cancel button.)

> Hi Rob!
>
> Data validation is doing what you ask. Rejecting everything but the
> word test.
>
> What happens with Retry varies according to settings in Data
> Validation on Blanks and In-cell drop down.
>
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

Hi Rob!

Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.

But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
behave a little differently.

Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.

But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
re-install Excel.

Wait on other replies.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 2:19:19 AM
Hi Norman,
Thanks for trying to help with this.
It seems the re-install is my last option unless someone has a better fix.
As one last hope, is it possible for me to attach a blank workbook just with
the data val in cell A1 to see what happens on your sys?
Don't worry if you'd rather not!

> Hi Rob!
>
> Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.
>
> But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
> earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
> behave a little differently.
>
> Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.
>
> But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
> re-install Excel.
>
> Wait on other replies.
>

> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

Hi Rob!

Your welcome to send. Haven't had a good crash for a long time!!

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 2:59:06 AM
Some (most) people won't open attachments--too many threats of malicious code.

Does the Cancel button work ok?

How about just hitting enter (it's got focus when I tested).

(and test the accelerator key (r or alt-r))

(Escape should dismiss the dialog like clicking cancel would.)

====
I'm guessing hardware problems with the mouse?????

====
And you're positive there ain't no worksheet events lurking around to "help"
you?

(yeah, yeah.  You said it happened on a brand new workbook.)

rob nobel wrote:

> Hi Norman,
> Thanks for trying to help with this.
> It seems the re-install is my last option unless someone has a better fix.
> As one last hope, is it possible for me to attach a blank workbook just with
> the data val in cell A1 to see what happens on your sys?
> Don't worry if you'd rather not!
> Rob
>
> "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Rob!
> >
> > Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.
> >
> > But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
> > earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
> > behave a little differently.
> >
> > Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.
> >
> > But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
> > re-install Excel.
> >
> > Wait on other replies.
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> > Sydney, Australia
> > njharker@optusnet.com.au
> > Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> > available free to good homes.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> Some (most) people won't open attachments--too many threats of malicious
code.

> Does the Cancel button work ok?
>
> How about just hitting enter (it's got focus when I tested).
>
> (and test the accelerator key (r or alt-r))
>
> (Escape should dismiss the dialog like clicking cancel would.)
>
> ====
> I'm guessing hardware problems with the mouse?????
>
> ====
> And you're positive there ain't no worksheet events lurking around to
"help"
> you?
>
> (yeah, yeah.  You said it happened on a brand new workbook.)
>

> rob nobel wrote:
> >
> > Hi Norman,
> > Thanks for trying to help with this.
> > It seems the re-install is my last option unless someone has a better
fix.
> > As one last hope, is it possible for me to attach a blank workbook just
with
> > the data val in cell A1 to see what happens on your sys?
> > Don't worry if you'd rather not!
> > Rob
> >
> > "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Hi Rob!
> > >
> > > Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.
> > >
> > > But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
> > > earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
> > > behave a little differently.
> > >
> > > Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.
> > >
> > > But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
> > > re-install Excel.
> > >
> > > Wait on other replies.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> > > Sydney, Australia
> > > njharker@optusnet.com.au
> > > Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> > > available free to good homes.
> > >

> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

Rob,

Before you reinstall, there's always Start - Run - type:
excel /regserver
Maybe a long shot, but who knows?

Is this the only workbook that fails?  Try whipping up another for a test.
If that works, maybe it's time to rebuild your workbook.
--
Earl Kiosterud

"rob nobel" <robnobel1@NOGOOBSbigpond.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> Hi Norman,
> Thanks for trying to help with this.
> It seems the re-install is my last option unless someone has a better fix.
> As one last hope, is it possible for me to attach a blank workbook just
with
> the data val in cell A1 to see what happens on your sys?
> Don't worry if you'd rather not!
> Rob
>
> "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > Hi Rob!
> >
> > Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.
> >
> > But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
> > earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
> > behave a little differently.
> >
> > Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.
> >
> > But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
> > re-install Excel.
> >
> > Wait on other replies.
> >

> > --
> > Regards
> > Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> > Sydney, Australia
> > njharker@optusnet.com.au
> > Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> > available free to good homes.

0
nowhere1083 (630)
1/23/2004 3:47:29 AM
Hi Rob!

Risked life and sanity opening a workbook with a known mysterious
problem.

Tried in both Excel 2003 and Excel 2000 and there was nothing wrong.

Try those other suggestions made below.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 4:07:23 AM
OK Guys!  What Happened?

Is all OK?

Dennis

"Rob Nobel" <robnobel1@bigpondNOGOOBS.comNOGOOBS> wrote:

>Is there a problem with the RETRY button in data validation, as I cannot get
>it to work in any of the criteria allowable situations.
>Clicking it causes no action and the Data Validation dialog remains open.
>The only way I can use the validation is to click cancel, which, in effect,
>does the same thing, but.....
>If there is a problem, is it able to be fixed?
>(I have xl2000)
>Rob

Hi Dennis!

I think that we're waiting to see if re-installation makes a
difference. But to date it doesn't look as if we can replicate the
problem.

Do you have the same problem?
--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/23/2004 1:33:07 PM
What happened a couple of years ago, when you had the same problem in
Excel 97?

   http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=eJ4lhnAxBHA.2836%40tkmsftngp05

Is this the same workbook? Does the problem only occur in this workbook?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
1/23/2004 1:42:11 PM
Hello Norm,

No, just following the saga!  The suspense is "killing" me!

Dennis

"Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>Hi Dennis!
>
>I think that we're waiting to see if re-installation makes a
>difference. But to date it doesn't look as if we can replicate the
>problem.
>
>Do you have the same problem?

Good catch Debra

Dennis

Debra Dalgleish <dsd@contexturesXSPAM.com> wrote:

>What happened a couple of years ago, when you had the same problem in
>Excel 97?
>
>   http://groups.google.com/groups?&threadm=eJ4lhnAxBHA.2836%40tkmsftngp05
>
>Is this the same workbook? Does the problem only occur in this workbook?
>
>Rob Nobel wrote:
>> Is there a problem with the RETRY button in data validation, as I cannot get
>> it to work in any of the criteria allowable situations.
>> Clicking it causes no action and the Data Validation dialog remains open.
>> The only way I can use the validation is to click cancel, which, in effect,
>> does the same thing, but.....
>> If there is a problem, is it able to be fixed?
>> (I have xl2000)

Thanks for the suggestion Earl.  No fix though.
It's not the workbook as it happens on all my workbooks, including any new
ones I try it on.

And just for the occasion....

Re-install, Re-install
Darn it, darn it,
Darn it all.

Rob

"Earl Kiosterud" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> Rob,
>
> Before you reinstall, there's always Start - Run - type:
> excel /regserver
> Maybe a long shot, but who knows?
>
> Is this the only workbook that fails?  Try whipping up another for a test.
> If that works, maybe it's time to rebuild your workbook.
> --
> Earl Kiosterud
> mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net
>
> "rob nobel" <robnobel1@NOGOOBSbigpond.com.auNOGOOBS> wrote in message
> > Hi Norman,
> > Thanks for trying to help with this.
> > It seems the re-install is my last option unless someone has a better
fix.
> > As one last hope, is it possible for me to attach a blank workbook just
> with
> > the data val in cell A1 to see what happens on your sys?
> > Don't worry if you'd rather not!
> > Rob
> >
> > "Norman Harker" <njharker@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> > > Hi Rob!
> > >
> > > Just tried it on Excel 2000 and I can't replicate your problem.
> > >
> > > But is your worksheet protected? From your description of process
> > > earlier, I don't think this could be the case but Data validation does
> > > behave a little differently.
> > >
> > > Also it is case sensitive. But that's not likely from what you say.
> > >
> > > But I'm clutching at straws and hoping that the end advice isn't
> > > re-install Excel.
> > >
> > > Wait on other replies.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> > > Sydney, Australia
> > > njharker@optusnet.com.au
> > > Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> > > available free to good homes.

Hi Rob!

There's a faint possibility that there's a rogue Addin or subroutine
in your personal.xls file so try opening Excel

From Start->Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes)

Now try and see what happens.

Safe mode opens Excel without any Addins or Personal.xls.

If that doesn't work then....

If you re-install, first save your personal.xls file and the excel.xlb
file in another location and then delete them from the current
location.

Whatever happens report back. There's some of us who can't stand the
suspense and have cancelled mowing the lawn waiting for this to be
solved.
--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/24/2004 12:36:42 AM
The mowing may have to be post-poned a bit longer. Sorry!  In fact the
problem is so strange you may not even be able to go to bed.
In the course of doing your suggested "start in safe" mode, Norman, the
office assistant was turned on. (Normally he's a pain in the neck.)
Any way when I tried data validation and chose the RETRY via the assistant,
it worked.  BUT......turn the assistant off and the normal RETRY doesn't
work.
That's a puzzler to me as it appears the function works on my PC but only if
I have the assistant running.
Can you work that one out?
Still sounds like a re-install to me.
BTW, I always back up my personal.xls file and the excel.xlb, but thanks for
the suggestion.  In any case, as I mentioned to you "privately", the
reinstal may be too drastic just to resolve this problem when the cancel
button virtually does the same thing.

> Hi Rob!
>
> There's a faint possibility that there's a rogue Addin or subroutine
> in your personal.xls file so try opening Excel
>
> From Start->Run enter "Excel.exe /s" (no quotes)
>
> Now try and see what happens.
>
> Safe mode opens Excel without any Addins or Personal.xls.
>
> If that doesn't work then....
>
> If you re-install, first save your personal.xls file and the excel.xlb
> file in another location and then delete them from the current
> location.
>
> Whatever happens report back. There's some of us who can't stand the
> suspense and have cancelled mowing the lawn waiting for this to be
> solved.
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

0
robnobel11 (12)
1/25/2004 10:44:48 PM
Hi Rob!

Curiouser and curiouser!

Re-installation doesn't take that long. But no hurry! I don't really
want to mow the grass.

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/26/2004 2:15:30 AM
Norman I can't stand it any longer, that I'm responsible for the condition
of your lawn.  Trouble with just re-installing office is that I had a
problem once before and it didn't resolve itself until I re-formatted my HD
and started again.  That's why I'm so hesitant.  I don't know if your lawn
can wait that long. (Your place will start looking like a rental.) Please
get mowing.

> Hi Rob!
>
> Curiouser and curiouser!
>
> Re-installation doesn't take that long. But no hurry! I don't really
> want to mow the grass.
>
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

0
robnobel11 (12)
1/26/2004 11:28:27 PM
Hi Rob!

One problem with re-installing is that after the uninstall phase
you'll find that there are still Registry entries that haven't been
removed. I use Norton Systemworks to clear these up but I'm sure that
other progs will do the same. Once all traces of Office have been
removed, you should be able to do a clean install without having to
re-format the Hard Drive.

No worries about my lawn. I'll soon find another excuse; too hot! too
cold! too dry! too wet! too bone idle!

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/27/2004 1:08:43 AM
Howdy Norman,
Thanks for that advice and letting me off the hook.
BTW, you forgot... "no fuel".
I haven't got Norton Systemworks. Any recommended "freebees" that would do
the same?

> Hi Rob!
>
> One problem with re-installing is that after the uninstall phase
> you'll find that there are still Registry entries that haven't been
> removed. I use Norton Systemworks to clear these up but I'm sure that
> other progs will do the same. Once all traces of Office have been
> removed, you should be able to do a clean install without having to
> re-format the Hard Drive.
>
> No worries about my lawn. I'll soon find another excuse; too hot! too
> cold! too dry! too wet! too bone idle!
>
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

Hi Rob!

I've no experience of other programs that clean up the Registry but
there are quite a lot of freebees around. See:

http://download.com.com/2001-2018-0.html

Look at most popular downloads.

If you've never cleaned out your Registry, you'll find a huge amount
of accumulated junk.
--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
Sydney, Australia
njharker@optusnet.com.au
available free to good homes.

0
njharker (1646)
1/28/2004 12:46:50 PM
Thanks Norman!

> Hi Rob!
>
> I've no experience of other programs that clean up the Registry but
> there are quite a lot of freebees around. See:
>
> http://download.com.com/2001-2018-0.html
>
> Look at most popular downloads.
>
> If you've never cleaned out your Registry, you'll find a huge amount
> of accumulated junk.
> --
> Regards
> Norman Harker MVP (Excel)
> Sydney, Australia
> njharker@optusnet.com.au
> Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments)
> available free to good homes.

Excel messes my data up
Hi, I am trying to run vlookup for about 5K cells from range of 20k cells. Now the problem is that some of the cells include only numbers and some both numbers and letters, like AB11002. I also have empty spaces on the data so I have to run trim on both data before running vlookup. Just after trimming both data vlookup runs correctly, but if I "touch" any cell containing only numbers excel propably converts it to number and at this point excel don't think those two cells that before was equal are equal any more. So how in the earth I could convert my mixed data in the format e...

volume control button/icon
How do I place this icon on my quick launch, or better on the bottom right part of my task bar, for easy access? The speakers I use on my desktop do not have the knobs to turn up or down the volume, so having it always showing in my taskbar is necessary. Thanks in advance........ On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:44:44 -0700, "Cynanthis" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: > How do I place this icon on my quick launch, or better on the bottom right > part of my task bar, for easy access? > The speakers I use on my desktop do not have the knobs to turn up or down >...

Export Data in Excel
Hi again, another Problem our customer have, is to export data in Excel. All the time, they want to export more the 10,000 objects o excel, the get only the first 10,000 and the others missing. Have someone a idea why the can't export more the 10,000 contacts or accounts? Thanks, Andre OK, I reslove it with the SDK. I have create the "maxrecordsforexporttoexcel" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM. Andre "Andre Grumbach" <andre.grumbach@no.spam> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OoO%23cevVGHA.6048@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi again, > anoth...

Finding unique items in data field for pivot tables
I have a huge pivot table I'm trying to create and for a critical item I select I get the following message: A field in your data source has more unique items that can be used in a PivotTable. Microsoft Excel may not be able to create a PivotTable or may create the PivotTable without the data from this field. Any ideas how I can find the duplicates and create the PivotTable with this field? Hello- Based on the message, 'duplicates' is not your problem, *Unique* items is. Pivot tables are limited to 32,500 unique items per field. So if you're analyzing product sales, for...

import and saving data
I import a file and it is formatted n text but t text group has a number of values that want in separate cells. Iam lost on how to do that. Another issue is how do i save a spreadskeet in comma or text format. Import file format, e.g., 123 ws 345 154 (all n a single cell) but what I want to do is format the data were each group of numbers or letters are in a separate cell. iF I receive the above as 123,ws,345,154 how can I mport data nto separate cells. Thanks Hi With your data in column A, select the entire column, goto Data > TextToColumns > Delemited > Delemit...

how to summarize and chart raw data
I am needing some help with how best to summarize and chart some raw data. I extracted from an application we use that tracks appointments and dumped it into excel. The columns I am interested in are: date name appt_start appt_end Each name is associated with 4-5 appointments for one date. I am trying to see how much time is between appointments An example of the data: 12/01/2004 Smith appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Smith appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Jones appt_start appt_end 12/01/2004 Jones appt_start appt_end and so on. The...

Sorting data and searching
I have an Excel Spreadsheet in which one sheet that I created four columns that contains the following: Table Name, Tabel Description, Table Information, Table Type Once I have enterred the table information, I highlighted the range of information that I enterred and right-click and chose sort A-Z. Everytime that I do this it is sorted by Table Name. Here are my questions: -How can I be sure that when I enter a new row that the information would be sorted by the table name and How do I automate this (Can it be done in a simple way) -How can I search for a table name?...

How to keep updated table of data ?
I have two sheets containing table with many fields with data. I want to keep one table by updating it according to values in th second sheet. Please help me finding good way to do so. Thank -- Daniel76 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Daniel761's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2587 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39249 ...

Series Source Data
Tjena! I have plotted one series: =SERIES(;xyzFINAL!$A$*3* :$A$15;xyzFINAL!$B$*3*:$B$15;1) I would like to replace the red bold 3 with INDIRECT(ADDRESS(2;7);1) so that I can put the number 3 in cell G2 instead. How/Is this possible ? Tack --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Deleting Data
Hi; I am looking for a way to select an entire sheet then delete only the data from it, leaving all formulas and formats intact. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Joel jnmobley@att.net Joel See answer in microsoft.public.excel No need to post to multiple groups -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Joel" <jnmobley@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:%23SW5WOsYEHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi; I am looking for a way to select an entire sheet then delete only the > data from it, leavin...

Is there a free toolbar button library available anywhere
I am looking for a cataloged of typically 15x16 images for use on toolbars. Does a free public collection of these exist? http://www.glyfx.com/ has free icon set for basic commands. There are quite a lot of free icons libraries in Inet, but none of them provide professional looking icons for serious applications. If you are looking for various 'childish' (imho) icons, check these: http://www.iheartny.com/xicons/ http://www.iconfactory.com/show.asp http://www.tss2000.nl/site_pages/index.php?CV=1 http://www.tss2000.nl/site_pages/index.php?CV=1 http://www.foood.net/ For business use, y...

wrong email address sends
How do I make Outlook send the correct email address and not a business account that I do not want going out with my messages I'm not sure if I understand your question correctly -- are you asking how to force Outlook to send messages through one account rather than another? If so, I need some more information from you before I can answer: What version of Outlook are you using, and if 98 or 2000, what mail support mode? If you're not sure, look at the second line of Help | About Microsoft Outlook -- it should say "Internet Mail Only" or "Corporate/Workgroup". ...

Count group of data
Hi, Hope someone can help! I'm looking for a formula to produce the following result from data below: Data can be in text, colour or numeric format Results DATA 8 4 2 3 1 11111111 1111 11 111 1 2 4 1 3 11 1111 1 111 2 1 3 1 2 11 1 111 1 11 Thanks! That is a really confusing post. I for one have no idea what you are trying to count, or the expected results. And what do you mean by ... can be in ... colour ...? -- __________________________________ HTH Bob <mon.bannister@suncorp.com.a...

Emails shown with wrong date in overview-screen?
hello NG, i have the following problem: i have made a constellation of folders in witch i sort my incoming and outgoing mail to. now i have found the following phaenomenon: in one of these folders i see a bunch of mail (sent by myself) witch all seem to be sent on the same date, 15. december 2004. but in reality this is the wrong date, they have been sent over a long period reaching back even until 2001. if i doubleklick on the mail and view it the correct date is shown. only in the "overview-screen" where all the mails are listed, the date is shown wrong. what can i do about ...

Coloring Alternative Rows only if data is there
Hi, I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditional formatting in it. I want to highlight this only if there data in there. I have googled if but cannot find the method can anyone post the method or provide me with link. It will be 2nd conditional formatting I think :l =AND(COUNTA(1:1)>0,MOD(ROW(),2)=1) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "BetaDocuments" <betadocuments@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c0c21d2b-e800-4c9a-b310-24a10793eb7c@g38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have a spreadsheet with [ =MOD(ROW(),2)=1] conditiona...

How to overwrite data in file?
I am using a text file to log progress of a long-running macro. I want to continuously overwrite the first line with variable-length data. The following paradigm demonstrates my problem: Open myPath For Output Access Write As #fd Print #fd, "1234567890123456789012345678901234567890" Seek #fd, 1 Print #fd, "abcde" Close #fd I want the file to contain only "abcde". But the actual result is: abcde 890123456789012345678901234567890 Apparently, "abcde" CRLF overwrote the data, but that did not cause the end-of-file to be rewritten. ...

Extract unique data
I am using excel 2003 I have a file like below Rate month GBP 1.46 FEB 2000 1.47 MAR 3000 1.47 APR 3500 1.48 MAY 1000 I want to create summary Rate FEB MAR APR MAY 1.46 2000 1.47 3000 3500 1.48 1000 I can use sumif function to return the total, however, how can I insert only the unique rate in the first column automatically. Thanks a lot ! eva cheng Hi, I suppose information is in sheet 1 columns A,B...

Command button on data-entry form
Is there a way to add a command button to a form that displays data for reference? I'd like the user of the form I'm creating to choose a chemical abbreviation from a dropdown but be able to click a button and display a table containing the full chemical name and unit. Or else have a dropdown with three columns? It's easy to do in Access, but I can't seem to figure out how to do either of these things in Excel.) It might be easiest to use a range of 2 columns (why 3???). Then you can make your combobox have multiple columns--including both the abbreviation and long name....

What wrong with sumproduct function?
I would like to sum all numbers, which match following conditions, =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402),(C$1816:C$2400<0),(C$1816:C$2400)) press ctrl + shift + enter but it returns zero, and I have checked it, zero should not be the result. Does anyone have any suggestions what wrong with sumproduct function? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric 1. Sumproduct is not an array function. Use Enter, not Ctrl-Shift-Enter. 2. You must convert false/trues to numbers. One way: =SUMPRODUCT(($B$1816:$B$2400=$A2402)*(C$1816:C$2400<0)*(C$1816:C$2400)) Regards, Fred "E...

Wrong Date/Wrong amount
In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download date as well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem is that it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount with a "downloaded" date of 10/9/2003. It is quite stubborn as nothing seems to affect it. Does anyone have any idea of how to correct this? Dirty Harry Harry Calahan wrote: > *In the Money 2004 check register it reports the last download dat > as > well as the balance in the top left corner. The only problem i > that > it is totally wrong. It reports some bogus amount wi...

Data validation behaviour
Local named ranges: Codes!Depth_Range refers to: = Codes!$A$10 evaluates to: 46 (always a positive integer) Codes!Short_Name_Header refers to: = Codes!$Z$12 Codes!Sign_Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,3) Codes!Table refers to: =OFFSET(Codes!Short_Name_Header,1,0,Codes!Depth_Range,9) Workbook-level named ranges: Global_Sign_Table refers to: =Codes!Sign_Table Global_Table refers to: =Codes!Table In worksheet "Analysis", data validation on a cell is set to Custom formula: =$V16*VLOOKUP($P16,Global_Sign_Table,3)>=0 This be...

Disable MS Office Button & Navigation Pane
Is it possible to remove the 'New', 'Open' and 'Save As','Close Database' and 'Access Options' options from the MS Office Button? I created a custom Ribbon that strips everything out, but would like to get these options out of the hands of the users. Also, is it possible to hide the Navigation Bar as well? My app very thoroughly handles user navigation, not to mention that I don't want the users to have access to any of these options at all. ...

Help please
I screwed something up and need help big-time. Somehow the default position of the cursor when I start a new document - or Outlook mail message - is in the right center part of the page. In fact, if I even open a document, it's formatted with everything scrunched over to the right. I can backspace and get the cursor to the right and it's not a big problem on documents with simple formatting, but for some complex documents, simply backspacing makes the formatting even worse. HELP PLEASW. -- rpbilleaud For a start, see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/BlankDo...

Buttons in forms (in Outlook 2003) not doing anything?
So I was set as an approver on a form someone else filled out. The link comes to me, and when the form opens, and I click on the "Record Approval" button, nothing happens. It's like the button is disabled, or there is no 'command' linked to it. (It has worked before). A few things I have tried: - Make sure the "Collaboration Data Objects" is installed in the Office setup. - No secondary monitor plugged in. - Run "Detect and Repair". - Clear Forms Cache Any other ideas? Where is the form published? Are the items using the form located in = your o...

What's going wrong in Outlook 2003?
Hello, When I installed the new Office 2003, I had no problems with Outlook 2003. I received and send mails whenever I want. A few days later, I get a message from outlook that Outlook could not make a connection with the server of my provider to get my mail on my computerb (I didn't change any settings!). I checked all my settings and there are good (I checked the mailserversettings, ports, etc) but the result is still the same: Outlook cannot make a connection with the mailserver. After that, I called my provider to ask them what to do. They told me that I must remove all the ...