What is the Null character?

What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell?  I
am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to
represent the cell as if it was empty.  I have tried using "" as an empty
cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell.
0
Ramsey (8)

You can't do what you want to do. A formula always returns
*something*.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Quinn Ramsey" <Quinn Ramsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an
> empty cell?  I
> am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for
> it to
> represent the cell as if it was empty.  I have tried using ""
> as an empty
> cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty
> cell.

0
chip1 (1821)
7/27/2005 12:50:11 PM
If this is causing you a problem because you're trying to use COUNTA on the
results of the IF function adjust your COUNTA expression so that it becomes
=COUNTA(Range)-COUNTBLANK(Range) this will deduct the cells containing the "".

Andrea Jones
http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
http://www.allaboutclait.com

"Quinn Ramsey" wrote:

> What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell?  I
> am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to
> represent the cell as if it was empty.  I have tried using "" as an empty
> cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell.
To pick up the original question of the excel <null> character, I am trying
to run a graph off a set of data and would like it to read <null> as a result
of the formula (so it doesnt plot the entry). If "" is used it reads this as
'0' which is not what is required. Can someone please suggest if there is any
way to return <null>?
Tks

"Andrea Jones" wrote:

> If this is causing you a problem because you're trying to use COUNTA on the
> results of the IF function adjust your COUNTA expression so that it becomes
> =COUNTA(Range)-COUNTBLANK(Range) this will deduct the cells containing the "".
>
> Andrea Jones
> http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk
> http://www.stratatraining.co.uk
> http://www.allaboutclait.com
>
> "Quinn Ramsey" wrote:
>
> > What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell?  I
> > am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to
> > represent the cell as if it was empty.  I have tried using "" as an empty
> > cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell.
0
Redstar11 (1)

if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ??
if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use =IF(A1="","",A1) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "WGeorg" <WGeorg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:09FCCF25-D0DC-4B1E-BFA1-CEF9A9327C46@microsoft.com... > if A1=Null and B1=A1 why is result in B1=0 ?? > because of this I get wrong result for average calculations: average for > (6,8,0) <> average for (6,8,null) Use this ...

Null Is Null
I've got a text box in a report that's not returning properly. Here's its Control Source: =[Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]![srptFGPKConfigsSUPK_totalwt]! [SumWtg]+IIf(IsNull([Reports]![rptFGPackConfigsPKWeights]! [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt]![SumWtg]),Null,"") This returns #Error. It's definitely my IIf statement as it returns properly when removed however there are times when [srptFGPKConfigsTPK_totalwt].[SumWtg] will be null. In fact, this subreport will not appear if no records exist. I suspect that this is the problem. How can I write this Control Source t...

Assigning a new shortcut to a special character
Hi Why Can not I assign "Shift+Space" to special character of "No-width optional break"? ...

Illegal characters in path

Syntax for Is Not Null ?
When one of our forms is opened (Current event) I want a message box fired by certain conditions (that the Ref control does have a value, but the Country control is empty). I have tried various bits of code along the lines shown below, but keep getting runtime errors. Wot's wrong with the following, please? If [Me.Ref] is not null and [Me.Country] = "" Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" Many thanks CW CW - Try this: If (not isnull([Me.Ref])) AND IsNull([Me.Country]) Then MsgBox "Please enter the country!" -- Daryl S ...

When is a Null not a Null?
I have a form which is used for adding and entering data depending on where it is called from. When called in add mode (acFormAdd) a blank form is openned. When the cursor enters the text box [Name] on the form field I am trying test whether it is empty so that a search form can be openned if a new name is to be added. (I don't want the search form to open in cases when the form already has data in and I am editing rather than adding data). The form is based on a query and the data displayed in [Name] is the result of a calculated field in the query which concatenates firstname and surn...

IMF filtering foreign character set
I have used Sunbelt Softwares Exchange Spam filtering for some time. They have a feature that allows you to treat email with foreign character sets as spam. Has anyone done this with Exchange 2003? Dab Don't believe Exchange offers this functionality out of the box. You can block certain top-level domains using Sender Filtering. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message news:uWGUG8HJHHA.960@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl....

What is the Null character?
What is the character sequence that Excel uses to represent an empty cell? I am using a formula and when it returns false, I would like for it to represent the cell as if it was empty. I have tried using "" as an empty cell, but excel recognizes that this is a value, not an empty cell. You can't do what you want to do. A formula always returns *something*. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Quinn Ramsey" <Quinn Ramsey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D67F6311-0CCA-48B5-A...

Charting null values
I have a chart that is plotting null values. I tried the formula =if(C25="",N/A(),Sum(C22:C25)). I've also deleted the formula to create a completely null cell. I've been to Tools, Options, Chart and selected Plot empty cells as Not plotted, zero and Interpollated As well as turning Plot Visible Cells only (turned it on and off) Nothing seems to make a difference. Any suggestions? Stephanie, what kind of chart are you using? Can you give an example of how your data table looks like? br, Henk "StephanieH" wrote: > I have a chart that is plotting ...

PrimaryContactID NULL
Hello, i have discovered a strange behavior of CRM regarding the relationship between accounts and contacts: Some of my accounts show up a referenced contact but do not have a PrimaryContactID GUID in the databasefield. Both where converted from a lead which is refrenced with the correct GUID in the OriginatingLeadID Field in the database? Any idea how this can happen? Regards Sebastian When you convert a lead into an account/contact the contact references the account throught the parent customer field. The account does not reference the contact (this would be the primary contact fi...

Characters
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel All I want to due is add a plain old black and white smiley face to my document. I found it yesterday with a group of characters, among them a snowman and a skull and bones. I cannot seem to find those characters again to choose a smiley face again. Where are the characters? Unicode 263A, UTF-8 E2 98 BA, in Character Viewer under "Miscellaneous Symbols" or search for the name "smile". Word will autocorrect :-) to a smiley face unless you specifically remove that Autocorrect entry. Loo...

NULL values
Working with a downloaded table form a Lotus Notes contact manager. Now in access call tblclients. I query certain info. to update the records. BUT...'Is Null' does not work. It comes back empty and there are definitely empty contents in the fields I chose. I know how to do this as it works in my other tables on other databases. The only difference I can see in this table as opposed to tables created directly in Access is the Field Design property called Unicode Compression saying No instead of the default Yes. I changed the Unicode to Yes in case this had something to do with it and ...

Using CORREL with arrays containing null values
XL Gurus... I'm using the CORREL function, but one of the arrays I'm comparing has null values (entered as #N/A), so my result is #N/A. How can I modify my formula to correlate all the points in the 2 arrays, apart from the null values and their corresponding entries in the other array? You might incorporate an IF function, along the lines of IF(ISNUMBER(your array function here),your array function here,0) It seems redundant, but it evaluates the array function to determine if it is numeric. ...

Supporting double-byte characters in Exchange 2003 SP2
How do I confirm that our new Exchange 2003 SP2 server will support all double-byte character languages (i.e. Japanese, Chinese, etc.)? We are going to be doing a lot of communicating with East Asian companies and I want to be sure that our Exchange 2003 SP2 Server won't "break" emails that arrive using non-Western character sets in them. Thanks. ...

Hide Sub Report(s) when records are null
I am running Access 2007 sp2 MSO. I have a report that has three (3) sub reports. There are times when not all three sub reports have values to display. Is there a way to code the given report to not be visible if there are no records to report? The second part of this question would be if there is a way to make the report invisible is it also possible to code so that the space where the report would normally reside would not be taken with a blank space (the foot print of where the report normally resides)? -- Bruce ...

VBA
(PPT 2003 and sometimes 2007) Hi, again. Within every object on each of my slides, I want to replace Chr$(8482) for Chr$(9674). I also want it then superscripted, and for it to change characters in charts and wordart as well. But I'm stuck. Everything I'm trying is just turning into a mess. Can anyone help with this? Thanks a lot, Melina Hello, Take a look at this example and then adapt it to your needs. http://skp.mvps.org/ppt00025.htm#2 Regards, Shyam Pillai Image Importer Wizard: http://skp.mvps.org/iiw.htm "Mel" <mel.turco@yahoo.com> wr...

Nulls in SP
I have a stored procedure (see below) that I need to make the last 2 parameters optional and place a NULL value when they are not sent. Can someone help show me how this is done? Thanks. David ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[mc_insHistoryDates] @PeopleLinkID int, @HistoryTypeID int, @HistoryReasonID int, @HistoryDate date, @HistoryDateTo date, @HistoryText varchar(1000) AS BEGIN -- SET NOCOUNT ON added to prevent extra result sets from -- interfering with SELECT statements. SET NOCOUNT ON; INSERT INTO [MCFICore].[dbo].[HistoryDates] ([PeopleLinkID] ...

Unique unless null?
Is there a way to set up a constraint, or something with the effect of a constraint, to prevent two rows in a table from having the same non-null value in a particular column while allowing multiple rows to have NULL in that row? Consider a table, some of whose data is imported from an external source, and the table has a column for storing the primary key value associated with the imported data in its source database. In other words, one way of looking at this column is that it's a 1..(0, 1) foreign key into another table that isn't present. Hi Harlan What version a...

Is null
Hi I'm having a problem with the "Is null" criteria in one of my queries. My query shows that there are 420 records with "is null" in the copies column. However in the corresponding table there are 467 records that have a blank entry in the copies column. Where am I going wrong? Thanks again! Adam Are you sure they're all Null? Some of the records could contain an empty field (""), or a space character (" "). http://www.databasedev.co.uk/null_values_defined.html "Adam" wrote: > Hi > > I'm having a problem with th...

Is Unicode character a vowel?
Is there a simple way to determine if a character in whatever codepage is a vowel? "Susan Rice" <srice1@cox.net> wrote in message news:NAp_h.291586$7g3.105116@newsfe14.phx... > Is there a simple way to determine if a character in whatever codepage is > a vowel? I suspect that you'd have to define 'vowel' (in an internationally acceptable way) before this question made any sense. Even then, how do you assign a description to letters which can be either? In Welsh w is a vowel. In English y can be either a vowel or a consonant. Which is the consona...

how do i use an if is null, and if is not null statement together
I have to compare two columns of data, and show the status in column three. Column1 = enrolleddate, Column 2= DisenrolledDate, Column 3 = Status If column1 and column2 are null, "Active", if column2 is not null, then disenrolleddate Thanks for helping me. If you were using a spreadsheet, you might need that third column. In Access you can simply use a query to do the comparison and generate the "calculated" value. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "latha" <latha@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4366DA3-9E0E-48C8-BB30-452...

How to maintain text characters when converting from xls to dbf f.
I am trying to save an xls (97-2002) file as a DBF IV format in order to use it in ArcGIS. The dbf format trucates my text (in addition to the column heading) and converts the cell text format into a number format. Is there any way around this? Is there a maximum character length for DBF cells? Hi Nombo, I'm used to working with FoxPro DBFs which have a limit of 256 characters in a Character field (for longer strings use a Memo field) and a limit of 10 characters for field names. Maybe DBF IV is the same. -- Cindy Winegarden MCSD, Microsoft Visual FoxPro MVP cindy_winegarden...

OnCtlColorDlg & return NULL
The MS documentation about WM_CTLCOLORDLG says: "If an application processes this message, it must return the handle of a brush. The system uses the brush to paint the background of the dialog box." The documentation about "CWnd::OnCtlColor" says something quite similar. But then when the wizzard generates OnCtlColor the included comment says: "TODO: Return a different brush if the default is not desired". Now I wonder if really a brush MUST(!) be returned. Returning NULL works. Nevertheless, that doesn't mean it's valid to do so. Finally, if I can re...

NULL DATE
This works fine if there is a date in the textbox, but if the textbox is empty or null, I get an error. This is part of an SQL statement. What can I do if it's Null so that it still works. Thanks DS Format(Forms!frmBSDiscountNames![TxtExpDate], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#") Change you line to Nz(Format(Forms!frmBSDiscountNames![TxtExpDate], "\#mm\/dd\/yyyy\#")) This will return a zero legnth string instead of a null value, and will allow your code to process it. Note that if at any point you are comparing that field to Null, it will fail, and you will have to compar...

Folders with "+" character dump some email to Inbox @ update